PDA

View Full Version : A little mobile antenna work

Mudderoy
09-30-2015, 08:40 AM
I've been having this problem with the antenna where the received signal varies slightly with the vibration of the vehicle. Really quick. Kind of irritating to listen to. I ordered some RG-8x coax off of Amazon recently and last night was the night to replace it.

Now I couldn't say for sure that was the issue, but the coax has been in there for awhile so what the hell.

I checked all the contacts as I took everything apart. Put it all back together and it still worked, although sitting still and operating the radio was never a problem.

Couldn't find much (other than to listen to) on 20 meters this morning. 40 didn't have any activity.

Just before getting to the office I found a guy calling CQ. I gave him a call. He came right back, in Virginia and gave me a 5x7 signal report. I was ending the conversation with him when he told me to hang on someone wanted to talk to me.

I waited, heard a little something, but just enough to tell someone was talking, barely.

The Virginia station told me it was a fellow HAM in Australia and I had a signal report of 5x5 there. I apologized for my poor antenna system (didn't mention the noisy Jeep) but thanked him for the report.

You know several of the local hams warned me not to use a "CB" 102" whip with an antenna tuner. Not enough "Q" they said, not much better than a dummy load they said.

I've had several on air questions about what I'm using because I sound so go, audio and signal (for a mobile).

That's the fun of HAM radio. Got an idea, try it, might work out better than conventional wisdom thinks it will.

prerunner1982
09-30-2015, 10:28 AM
I want to be like you Tony....

bluedragon436
09-30-2015, 10:41 AM
Nice deal... nothing wrong with being heard in Australia clearly either!!! Hope with the new line and such, that it'll help with your issue!!

Mudderoy
09-30-2015, 12:12 PM
I want to be like you Tony....

Everyone does until it's time to pay the bill :P

Mudderoy
09-30-2015, 12:13 PM
Nice deal... nothing wrong with being heard in Australia clearly either!!! Hope with the new line and such, that it'll help with your issue!!

Should be more active on the way home. I just need to get a contact on the highway at speed.

Mudderoy
10-01-2015, 12:26 AM
Well no issues driving home. I didn't hear anyone calling CQ, and I didn't make a call myself, but listening around on 20 meters I was able to hear everyone normally. I did have a chuckle at a guy calling CQ DX and people (I'm assuming they are HAMs) were transmitting when he would stop. One guy kept saying "Go ahead Mikey"

I know there has been bad types on the airwaves since the beginning of radio time, but it seems to me it has got worse since the FCC dropped the CW requirements on the license.

More HAMs on the bands, but more CB like mentality. Elitist? Maybe.

prerunner1982
10-01-2015, 07:38 AM
No-Coders 4 life!

Mudderoy
10-01-2015, 08:17 AM
No-Coders 4 life!

Yeah but I suspect you know how to behave. :bacondance:

Mudderoy
10-02-2015, 10:36 AM
I was on my way to work this morning. I guess I was about 3 miles from the house when I started tuning around 20 meters. I heard a guy calling CQ, nice signal, but by the time he stopped transmitting I was under an overpass waiting to turn on to the freeway.

After getting up on the freeway he called CQ again, this time I was ready and at highway speeds. As you recall I wanted to test the antenna on the highway.

N9CQT in Illinois. I believe he was an old timer, and based on our conversation quite and active HAM on HF.

He was running 700 watts into a long wire antenna. With the Jeep noise, and someone a few Khzs off to the site I believe I heard him say it was 117 feet long. That's kind of short for a long wire I think, but it's been awhile.

The QSO continued for the next 17 miles to work, with Chris wrapping it up as I pulled into the parking lot. So that was a good 30 minute conversation and that included 10+ miles on the highway 60+ with several turns on the back streets.

Now I need to replace that coax to the 2m/70cm antenna. Hmmm I need to order some coax. I may use RG-8x for it as well, pretty sure I have RG-58 in there now. You know that 2m/70cm antenna and coax is about 17 years old! I installed it right after buying the Jeep.

bluedragon436
10-07-2015, 08:12 AM
Sounds good Tony... At least it was worth the time and money spent.. I'm sure the COAX could use a bit of updating, especially if it's 17 years old.. either way certainly can't hurt..

Mudderoy
10-07-2015, 08:21 AM
The TRAM antenna came in yesterday, and it's still new and all, but it does seem to be very well made. We'll see how it holds up after 17 years, like the LARSEN I have on there now. :D

I did a test fit between the larsen NMO cable set up and the TRAM antenna and it fit perfectly. I just need to install the antenna and cable. Since changing the antenna is much easier and all of 2 minutes, I may just try swapping it out and see if that was the problem. I highly doubt it, but what the hell.

Since I have self designated my Jeep as my emergency escape vehicle I've been feeling a little less secure about it knowing there were problems with both antenna systems.

Still have a few mechanical things to do on the Jeep, but they are minor.

LizardRunner
10-15-2015, 11:09 AM
Nothing like building your confidence, it makes a world of difference.

The one thing I have found out about conventional thinking is that it is conventional, which means every tom,dick and harry thinks it is the only way cause that's how great grandpappy did it.

Mudderoy
10-15-2015, 01:05 PM
Oh! I did test out the new antenna the other day on the local Katy 2 meter repeater. Nope the choppy transmit is still there. I bet a new pl259 with adapter on the coax would fix the problem, but I'm just going to change the entire cable system.