PDA

View Full Version : Need all IMMEDIATE help!

GoreXJ95
11-13-2009, 08:17 AM
I have a 98 cherokee classic, this is my daily driver. After starting it up this mourning and let it warm up. I started to drive it and then I noticed MAJOR jerking. I CANT TELL WHERE ITS COMING FROM. Its possibly from the shifting of gears. the faster I went the harder it jerked (jerked forward). Check engine light is NOT on. PLEASE IN NEED OF HELP.

Thanks in advance,
John

Mudderoy
11-13-2009, 09:02 AM
I have a 98 cherokee classic, this is my daily driver. After starting it up this mourning and let it warm up. I started to drive it and then I noticed MAJOR jerking. I CANT TELL WHERE ITS COMING FROM. Its possibly from the shifting of gears. the faster I went the harder it jerked (jerked forward). Check engine light is NOT on. PLEASE IN NEED OF HELP.

Thanks in advance,
John

Mine would do that after the transfer case chain stretched. I had a 2wd until I replaced the chain. Are you in 4x4? Have you tried 2wd? I doubt this is your problem, but it is the first thing that came to mind.

Does the engine sound like it is missing? Could it be a clogged catalytic converter?

Voldemort
11-13-2009, 11:00 AM
When it jerks does the exhaust make a chugging noise or does the engine sound fine while it is happening? If there is no noise from the exhaust or engine than it is a tranny or transfer case issue.

BlueXJ
11-13-2009, 01:21 PM
Guess he solved it or went to work and blew it off for now..

Mudderoy
11-13-2009, 01:24 PM
Yeah, I wish he'd get back on here and tell us what's going on. :coffee:

BlueXJ
11-13-2009, 01:28 PM
A stretched chain would not happen overnight. I doubt that is his problem.

Mudderoy
11-13-2009, 01:32 PM
A stretched chain would not happen overnight. I doubt that is his problem.

One day my 4x4 was working the next time I used it pop pop jerk jerk. It may not have happened over night but my perception was just that.

BlueXJ
11-13-2009, 01:40 PM
I change the chain every other year and keep a spare rebuilt T-case ready at all times.

Melissa
11-13-2009, 02:48 PM
umm...............should I change my chain?? Do I have a chain??

Mudderoy
11-13-2009, 03:32 PM
umm...............should I change my chain?? Do I have a chain??

Well looky who finally got up and wandered over to the computer.

All bad girls have a chain.

xj4life2
11-13-2009, 05:32 PM
Ok here's my off the wall theory his CPS harness came loose from the firewall and is hitting the exhaust manifold and shorting out everytime it does the jerking or killing the engine for a brief second. Yes it happened to me :(

Mudderoy
11-13-2009, 06:37 PM
Ok here's my off the wall theory his CPS harness came loose from the firewall and is hitting the exhaust manifold and shorting out everytime it does the jerking or killing the engine for a brief second. Yes it happened to me :(

I never would have thought of that, but it makes perfect sense.

Melissa
11-14-2009, 01:13 AM
Well looky who finally got up and wandered over to the computer.

All bad girls have a chain.

Well I would have been on sooner, but with the snow falling and blowing sideways, I keep loosing my internet connection :smiley-scared002:

BTW.............I do have lots of chains:D