PDA

View Full Version : Why can't we be different?

_StationWagon_
04-19-2009, 04:19 PM
I'm a member on a few forums and there is one thing I've noticed that is very discouraging. They're all the same. No offense meant to anyone here, but why do people copy trends, threads, articles and such from other forums? Talk about clones. Each time I join a Jeep forum I think things will be different, but every time, they all start to melt into each other.

"Oh, I saw this thread on another forum so I want to post the same thing here" ... Why?! We can all go play there if we want to do that particular activity, then do something different here! I mean, what's the point of going to 4 or 5 different forums and seeing the exact same threads?

I dunno, just saying ... or is it just me? :smiley-talk024:

Mudderoy
04-19-2009, 05:49 PM
Sadly originality is very rare. That's why when we see it we recoil in disgust, or embrace it as a new religion.

My goal was just to have something that was fun and treated people right when they asked a question. Anything after that would be gravy.

I appreciate your heart felt comments.

Melissa
04-19-2009, 07:27 PM
To me this board is different, I feel the atmosphere is alot more relaxed which in turn makes me want to participate more and ask more questions.

Thats just my two cents worth.

xjjeepthing
04-19-2009, 07:53 PM
Its hard to be original in the Jeep world. I have tried, boy do I hear about it. LOL

muddeprived
04-19-2009, 08:17 PM
I'm a member on a few forums and there is one thing I've noticed that is very discouraging. They're all the same. No offense meant to anyone here, but why do people copy trends, threads, articles and such from other forums? Talk about clones. Each time I join a Jeep forum I think things will be different, but every time, they all start to melt into each other.

"Oh, I saw this thread on another forum so I want to post the same thing here" ... Why?! We can all go play there if we want to do that particular activity, then do something different here! I mean, what's the point of going to 4 or 5 different forums and seeing the exact same threads?

I dunno, just saying ... or is it just me? :smiley-talk024:

I agree with you on that. Some people post the same thread on different forums in hopes of getting more replies or assistance. Some people think something is super funny so they post it on all boards so everyone can see it. It's just that most of us are members of so many boards and because of this, the info on those boards is repeated. If everyone had their own board, just one, then this would not be a problem cuz no one would notice the same thread or copy threads from another forum.

As for jeep-related, our jeeps are old now so there's nothing NEW out there to talk about except wild builds and stuff like that so expect the same ol' crap over and over.

CT was "different" at first but then as members grew, it became "standard" just like every other forum and threads are being copied and pasted there too. This forum is entirely unique, different from other forums.....so far. ;) We'll see how this place morphs after a hundred or so more members join.

Mudderoy
04-19-2009, 09:42 PM
Hey this is great information. The only reason I started this board was I felt it was silly for me to be making suggestions on CT when I had the technical ability to run my own board and do it the way I wanted to.

I am not interested in commercializing this board. I love having vendors on here as I think it is great for all of us to see and ask questions about their products.

I am not interested in having it kiddy friendly. This should be a board about people that drive Jeeps, XJs, and driving age can be younger than 18, but generally it isn't. I just don't want us to go too far to the dark side. :D Everything I have seen so far is fine, although a couple close to the edge.

My wife has a computer too and I don't want to get in trouble!!! :rotfl2:

Mainly I just want a place that we can have fun, share information, learn, and/or teach.

I'm really happy with the great results so far, and that is all due to you guys. Please let me know when you don't think it is fun, or some arbitrary decision I made pisses you off. I probably just don't understand something.

BlueXJ
04-19-2009, 10:14 PM
I am bad for finding something on one board and dragging it to another. I just see something interesting and want to share that thing in other places with other people. I am usually careful to mention that I found something on another board so I am not accused of being the original owner of the thought or idea.
We all only have what we have either done or seen to guide our actions on these boards. As mentioned we have vehicles which are alreadyy old and not being manufactured any longer so there is little new to report on them but we can share what we have learned by doing or reading. That is all we have to offer. Sorry Station Wagon.

Audio222
04-19-2009, 10:50 PM
I am here for the same reasons. Every time you try to help someone out you find out that everyone is an expert on everything. I have been a car audio installer for 25 years, I have 8 different certifications and 4 world titles and when I try to help someone out I always get some person who hooked up a pair of 6.5" in their moms car telling my I'm wrong and that I don't know what I am talking about. After awhile you don't bother to post anymore.
I owned a my own store for 15 years.

Melissa
04-19-2009, 11:19 PM
Well good I am no expert and ain't afarid to say so, I am always glad to have one more person's brain to pick for advice and suggestions.

Mudderoy
04-19-2009, 11:32 PM
Well we love having people with question and especially the answers!

I try to answer questions, and I can usually be pretty convincing. :smiley-laughing021:

Melissa
04-19-2009, 11:54 PM
Well we love having people with question and especially the answers!

I try to answer questions, and I can usually be pretty convincing. :smiley-laughing021:

You have not steered me wrong yet, but then you have steered me to jealousy over your jeep ;)

Mudderoy
04-20-2009, 12:12 AM
You have not steered me wrong yet, but then you have steered me to jealousy over your jeep ;)

I really like my Jeep, very proud of it, but I am smart enough to know I haven't done much compared to the folks that take vehicles apart and put them back in factory fresh condition.

BlueXJ
04-20-2009, 10:23 AM
I am only good at certain areas in the XJ world and am learning as I go about others.

_StationWagon_
04-20-2009, 11:10 AM
Actually I wasn't referring to the people who post tech questions on multiple boards. That has merit: the more suggestions, the more you share knowledge, the more opinions, the better; I support that 100%. You can never have too much tech ... especially as someone said when you're dealing with old vehicles like ours.
What I meant was mostly the OT threads, like the Word Association, A-Z, "You know you drive an XJ" ... that sort of thread. Boooooring! Again, maybe it's just me. :headbag:

I do agree that so far XJ-T seems to be more friendly and member oriented. That's a great thing, especially when the "Big Guy" fraternizes right down here with us little drooling non-Detours-dual-bumper-owning orphans :D .

Maybe we can work on the originality thing and make this a Great forum down the road. We have a good start. Just stop with the cloning, pleease.

(As you have all begun to realize, the neighborhood busy-body {that would be me} is never afraid to speak her mind :smiley-laughing021: )

Mudderoy
04-20-2009, 11:18 AM
Well there's another reason I wanted to do a board, it's just plain fun. Actually I was thinking I was doing too much posting. You guys don't be afraid to tell me STFU. :smiley-laughing021:

BlueXJ
04-20-2009, 11:21 AM
We can only encourage you to stay out of the off topic areas. And in XJT it is called General Talk. We have talk in our title thus we talk and it is not all Jeep talk either. That would be boring to us that have other interests outside of our XJs.
Yes we are fortunate to have several people who have plenty of XJ knowledge to pass on and you will always get that, but it is not the entire life for all of us. We like to joke and improve our vocabulary plus the distractions that the games provide.
So just use us for your own gain and we won't complain or be distracted and join in the games in the OT areas and we won't complain about that either but please don't tell us where we can go and what we can say on these boards that don't meet your interests.
Rant off.

_StationWagon_
04-20-2009, 11:24 AM
You're taking this all wrong. Don't get your panties in a bunch. Read my last post.

BlueXJ
04-20-2009, 11:26 AM
You're taking this all wrong. Don't get your panties in a bunch. Read my last post.

Panties unbunched. That feels so much better. Thanks for the suggestion.

DETOURS
04-22-2009, 12:09 PM
Very seldom.........is '2' of anything, a good thing.
:popcorn:
But there are times..........
It can be usefull, enjoyable, and jist down right RIGHTOUS! :thumbsup:

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f136/corncrawler/2229326255_3d98297251.jpg

chayes
04-22-2009, 01:50 PM
:driving:I love this board, everyone I have had contact with or replied to some things I had to say have been really cool. Some of the other boards or forums I check out usually get over run with to much competition and well if your rig does not have this mod then you can't play with us. Well I feel that if I am a newbie seeking help in making my rig better or learning the correct way to take a line without killing myself or others any board should be happy to help and not knock someone for being a new wheeler. I do like the fact that this board tries to stick mainly to the XJ's of the world. Hope I did not rant to much, gotta love 5 hour energy shots.

chayes
04-22-2009, 01:52 PM
Very seldom.........is '2' of anything, a good thing.
:popcorn:
But there are times..........
It can be usefull, enjoyable, and jist down right RIGHTOUS! :thumbsup:

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f136/corncrawler/2229326255_3d98297251.jpg

So do you think these would look good on the hood of my XJ?

DETOURS
04-22-2009, 02:24 PM
I'd say it would be a very good modifation to your XJ. :thumbsup:

(please submit a write up with photo's!)

BlueXJ
04-22-2009, 02:49 PM
I, for one, am looking forward to the write up. How do you keep their hats on at highway speeds?

chayes
04-22-2009, 04:51 PM
I will get right on this, as for keeping the hats on, gotta love bungee cords..Now I just have to figure out how I want to mount them..Oops did I say mount..:smiley-bounce015:

DETOURS
04-22-2009, 07:17 PM
I, for one, am looking forward to the write up. How do you keep their hats on at highway speeds?

Hot glue gun!!! :popcorn:

xjjeepthing
04-22-2009, 07:28 PM
I'm thinking this board as a Butt Fetish ( l )

Audio222
04-22-2009, 07:43 PM
Butt Fetish + Hot glue gun!!!, all in the same thread. Just wow!

BlueXJ
04-22-2009, 09:57 PM
http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc101/onawave2/23779183.gif

BlueXJ
04-22-2009, 10:00 PM
http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc101/onawave2/H2Rear_View.jpg

_StationWagon_
04-22-2009, 11:42 PM
I'm thinking this board has a Butt Fetish ( l )
Finally!!! :woot: Thank you lord, for I have found my way home. Been looking for a board that satifies both my fetishes, XJs & butts.

Oh, wait ... never mind :hmmmm2:

Melissa
04-23-2009, 12:02 AM
Finally!!! :woot: Thank you lord, for I have found my way home. Been looking for a board that satifies both my fetishes, XJs & butts.

Oh, wait ... never mind :hmmmm2:

Oh now that was funny _StationWagon_ :smiley-laughing021:

DETOURS
04-23-2009, 12:49 PM
I'm an 'A$$ man!
Just ask anyone who knows me......:thumbsup:

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f136/corncrawler/uhb-s071-022.jpg

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f136/corncrawler/s10.jpg

BlueXJ
04-23-2009, 01:07 PM
Don't know you very well but I would say you are an a$$............................man.

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll187/90BlueXJ/women/ButtShot-1.jpg
http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll187/90BlueXJ/women/BlackBikini.jpg