PDA

View Full Version : Remote Accessing Your Windows PC

Mudderoy
09-12-2015, 10:02 AM
A few of you may still have actual computers, you know the one's with the keyboards with buttons, a mouse and a screen that is a couple of feet in front of your face?

It dawned on me that some of you might like to know this.

There is a device that you can pick up from ebay for about $30 to $40 that will allow you to take that big fancy 1080 HD TV and turn it into a monitor.

You may never have heard of REMOTE DESKTOP CONNECTION (RDP) but if you have Windows XP up, non-HOME version you have the ability to connect remotely to your PC.

Someone gave me a Wyse VX0 thin client. Basically that means it is a minimal computer that is used to connect to another computer. That could be a server running Virtual Machines, or your home PC!

http://www.parkytowers.me.uk/thin/wyse/vx0/imgs/lhs.jpg

I just hooked mine up and tried it. Very fast and could be very useful for doing basic computing in another room in your home without the cost of another PC!

You'll need the Wyse thin client a keyboard, a mouse and a monitor. Want audio, you'll need speakers. I'll tell you now though sound through RDP connections may not be the best.

You can pick up a wireless logitech keyboard with build in mouse pad for $23

Oh and a NETWORK connection is mandatory otherwise you won't be able to remote in to your PC.

xjzaped
09-14-2015, 12:56 PM
You can also use some of the smaller computer options around (RPi) but I haven't played with Remote Desktop on a Pi lately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mudderoy
09-14-2015, 01:05 PM
You can also use some of the smaller computer options around (RPi) but I haven't played with Remote Desktop on a Pi lately.

I thought about this as well. I have set up RDP on a Pi, but never tried it as a GUI terminal.

Getting a dedicated unit for $40 or less is cheaper than a Pi. ;o)

xjzaped
09-14-2015, 07:41 PM
There was a image available for the pi at one point in time. Haven't seen it in awhile.