PDA

View Full Version : Gear Shift handle change

Indiana Jeep
11-11-2009, 04:25 PM
This is probably a dumb question but thought I would ask before I started playing around with it. I really like the look of the Rock knobs on ROCKKNOB.com. My XJ is a 99 automatic and they do not make anything for this Jeep. I was hoping to find a way to replace the side button with just a push down on the shifter knob to change the gears. Obviously I don't know what the internal structure of the shifter is like and wanted to check and see if anyone else had thought about this or knew what it would take to change it over. Thinking about taking one apart at a salvage yard when I have the time to see whats what underneath. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.:driving:

Mudderoy
11-11-2009, 09:25 PM
This is probably a dumb question but thought I would ask before I started playing around with it. I really like the look of the Rock knobs on ROCKKNOB.com. My XJ is a 99 automatic and they do not make anything for this Jeep. I was hoping to find a way to replace the side button with just a push down on the shifter knob to change the gears. Obviously I don't know what the internal structure of the shifter is like and wanted to check and see if anyone else had thought about this or knew what it would take to change it over. Thinking about taking one apart at a salvage yard when I have the time to see whats what underneath. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.:driving:

I'm no help at all on this, but I'd like to know also.

BlueXJ
11-12-2009, 07:51 AM
To my knowledge they are limited to manual trannies!!!

Rednecktimbo
12-06-2009, 01:36 AM
Because i have totaly switched interiors from a nice laredo XJ to my 4x4 XJ ive had to remove the handle on the automatic shifter to move the center consoles around...i would tell you to take a mallet or something and gently tap the handle upwards until it comes up(dont yank unless you wanna buy another front windshield...lol) what you will find resembles a spraypaint can with the spray nozzle broken off of it if ya digg...meaning its got an interior device thats easy, but nessicery to push down in order to shift...I wish i had pics

Rickgmi
12-09-2009, 11:22 AM
I just took mine off to replace the bulb and they say you Lock your park brake and put it in Drive or second and get in back seat and pull, and it should pop off, On mine I just locked the brake and put it in Drive and just grabbed it and tugged and it just poped off without doing the back seat thing.. its really easy, Back seat or not.. Just tug then you will see what you got, Don't see why a push button wont work if you can find the right size