PDA

View Full Version : In Praise of XJs

4.3LXJ
11-11-2009, 11:00 AM
YouTube- Ol'Skool Truck Roll

I was amazed at how easily the new Dodge rolls over in this video. Thanks to the original poster by the way. It seems to have a very high center of gravity. I would not want to wheel this rig. Even with good driving skills it will end up on its side.

:thumbsup:Our XJs have much lower centers of gravity even when lifted.

muddeprived
11-11-2009, 11:24 AM
Looks barely lifted. He probably had his sway bar on which would cause the sudden weight transfer.

Mudderoy
11-11-2009, 11:30 AM
Looks barely lifted. He probably had his sway bar on which would cause the sudden weight transfer.

I was thinking it was stock and when that driver's side wheel dropped it just rolled since the wheel couldn't drop far enough to reach the ground. Just like you said, sway bar connected.

After watching this I thought "I better get some sway bar disconnects!"

muddeprived
11-11-2009, 11:37 AM
I was thinking it was stock and when that driver's side wheel dropped it just rolled since the wheel couldn't drop far enough to reach the ground. Just like you said, sway bar connected.

After watching this I thought "I better get some sway bar disconnects!"

and maybe a solid axle swap would've helped him. I can't really see from the pictures but it could be a 2500, which i believe came with a solid up front (optional).

4.3LXJ
11-11-2009, 12:07 PM
I would like to offer another, somewhat educated opinion. If you notice, when they pulled it back over and the front wheel was just resting on the rock, it still wanted to go back over. It had to be backed down off the rock first before it could be unhooked. I would venture to say that the center of gravity is just that high.

Mudderoy
11-11-2009, 12:33 PM
I would like to offer another, somewhat educated opinion. If you notice, when they pulled it back over and the front wheel was just resting on the rock, it still wanted to go back over. It had to be backed down off the rock first before it could be unhooked. I would venture to say that the center of gravity is just that high.

I like that thought, because with my 4.5" lift and heavy front and rear bumpers I'm hoping mine is much lower. Them roll overs make me cringe.

xj4life2
11-11-2009, 12:46 PM
unfortunitly we can't see what was on the other side that made him go over like that , but still i would never wheel in my work truck, thats what Jeeps are for !!!

4.3LXJ
11-11-2009, 12:54 PM
One of the reasons I zeroed in on that was I had a wake up call right after I mounted my winch on the XJ. I was poking around the Rubicon country but couldn't get near it due to too much snow. I came across a 3/4 ton chevy stuck. Being the good samaritan, I offered to pull him out. I couldn't. So I stretched out some straps and all the cable except the minimum 5 winds on the drum and got the XJ on wet pavement. The winch just dragged the XJ across the pavement and never budged the Chevy. I asked him how much that rig weighted. I was amazed. 6600# There was no way my 3600# rig was going to move that. Now, where is all that weight anyway? I had a Dodge W300 with a big block, 4sp, NP205 and real D70s front and rear and 3/16" diamond plate in the bottom of the bed that only weighed 6700# A new Chevy doesn't have that kind of iron in it. The answer is that it is all in sound insulation that is in the cab and under the hood. Most of it is very high in the cab. I venture to say the Dodge in the video is the same way.

Dirt Dogg Rydas
11-11-2009, 01:45 PM
That area was very narrow.
He would of fit but was to far to the left and went up on the rock.
so one tire went up the rock and the other down the hill and the truck on its side.

xj4life2
11-11-2009, 02:24 PM
That area was very narrow.
He would of fit but was to far to the left and went up on the rock.
so one tire went up the rock and the other down the hill and the truck on its side.

So basically no spotter and he picked the wrong line.

Mudderoy
11-11-2009, 02:27 PM
So basically no spotter and he picked the wrong line.

Forgive me, and the wrong vehicle, at least for that trail. :rotfl2:

4.3LXJ
11-11-2009, 02:33 PM
In praise of our XJs, I really think that the bottom line is that they are a much better trail rig even stock than the newer vehicles if for no other reason than COG issues.

Mudderoy
11-11-2009, 02:40 PM
In praise of our XJs, I really think that the bottom line is that they are a much better trail rig even stock than the newer vehicles if for no other reason than COG issues.

Yeah but XJ's are really loud inside and out! :smiley-laughing021:

4.3LXJ
11-11-2009, 02:42 PM
:rotfl2:That is why we all run loud exhaust systems. The sound is enhanced so we can hear it.

2000XJ
11-12-2009, 04:36 PM
Mudd, the 2500's are SA in the front as well. Man I want one of those to tow with!!! They're REALLY nice for that :D

AJ99
11-13-2009, 01:02 AM
I would like to defend dodges! I have wheeled mine quite a bit. I have gotten the rear wheel off the ground about 3 feet but have never came close to tipping it. I used to go on jeep trails with my truck before i built the jeep. Granted mine was a 97 solid axle 4x4 on 33s. Not lifted just a leveling kit on the front. They do wheel nicely and arent as tippy as the jeep lifted up tall like mine LMAO (7.5 in the front and about 6 in the rear