PDA

View Full Version : Pook's Dana 44's

Pookapotamus
08-12-2015, 01:56 PM
Ok with my recent rear ring gear failure I have decided to build my own axles, so I have a lot of research to do. Sure I could have someone build my axles for me or order full axles online, but no one offers a rear high pinion 44 and I like building things my self anyway and my brackets are mostly custom from the clayton kit.

Firstly is a 44 strong enough for what I want? I thought I read somewhere that 44's were only good for 33" tires, now I don't plan to run anything but 33"s, but I don't want to be at the upper range for strength. And with a new 4.8L stroker on the drawing board will it handle the horsepower?

Secondly, I know front high pinion 44's run reverse cut gears, so I should be able to turn it around (it would be rotated horizontally not vertically) swap in regular cut gears and run it in the rear for a high pinion 44 rear. I called Currie Enterprises and they could not give me a definitive answer on this. Any opinions???? Currie was only really concerned with oiling.

The plan as of right now is to contact Currie to get 2 front Rockjock JK housings and all the hardware and brackets that I can't build myself, I can get the tubes easily in town and machine them to what I need. Then order up E-lockers, gears and install kits from summit. I will also truss, gusset and beef up both axles to make them as bullet proof as possible. Everything will be modeled in 3D so I can run strength testing on them and easily address any issues with clearance.

The shafts I am a little unclear on, since I am using JK housings (mainly because they have larger gears in them and Currie offers them in a beefed up RockJock version) but custom building my axles to the width I want, (don't want to have to change rims for different back spacing to change Mort's track width) am I going to have issues finding axle shafts that are the correct length and bolt pattern?

RCV's???

And since I am custom building new axles, why not go ORI's and not have to change brackets later on.

As for brakes, I am considering swapping everything to Wilwood from summit, already have rear disc but would like to upgrade.

Also in the back of my mind is putting hydraulic steering on the back for shits and giggles.

on a totally unrelated note, I still have that kidney for sale!!:rolleye0012:

abebehrmann
08-12-2015, 02:59 PM
Ok with my recent rear ring gear failure I have decided to build my own axles, so I have a lot of research to do. Sure I could have someone build my axles for me or order full axles online, but no one offers a rear high pinion 44 and I like building things my self anyway and my brackets are mostly custom from the clayton kit.

Firstly is a 44 strong enough for what I want? I thought I read somewhere that 44's were only good for 33" tires, now I don't plan to run anything but 33"s, but I don't want to be at the upper range for strength. And with a new 4.8L stroker on the drawing board will it handle the horsepower?

Secondly, I know front high pinion 44's run reverse cut gears, so I should be able to turn it around (it would be rotated horizontally not vertically) swap in regular cut gears and run it in the rear for a high pinion 44 rear. I called Currie Enterprises and they could not give me a definitive answer on this. Any opinions???? Currie was only really concerned with oiling.

The plan as of right now is to contact Currie to get 2 front Rockjock JK housings and all the hardware and brackets that I can't build myself, I can get the tubes easily in town and machine them to what I need. Then order up E-lockers, gears and install kits from summit. I will also truss, gusset and beef up both axles to make them as bullet proof as possible. Everything will be modeled in 3D so I can run strength testing on them and easily address any issues with clearance.

The shafts I am a little unclear on, since I am using JK housings (mainly because they have larger gears in them and Currie offers them in a beefed up RockJock version) but custom building my axles to the width I want, (don't want to have to change rims for different back spacing to change Mort's track width) am I going to have issues finding axle shafts that are the correct length and bolt pattern?

RCV's???

And since I am custom building new axles, why not go ORI's and not have to change brackets later on.

As for brakes, I am considering swapping everything to Wilwood from summit, already have rear disc but would like to upgrade.

Also in the back of my mind is putting hydraulic steering on the back for shits and giggles.

on a totally unrelated note, I still have that kidney for sale!!:rolleye0012:

Have you considered an HP Ford 9'' housing instead? Would be a bit stronger than a 44 without having to go all the way up to 60. Lots and lots of aftermarket support too.

Pookapotamus
08-14-2015, 09:12 AM
I might have to go 9", the issue with the 44"s I'm running into is getting a standard cut ring and pinion for the jk 44 housing.

Having 4WD means getting stuck in more inaccessible places!

LizardRunner
09-29-2015, 02:40 PM
http://www.extremeaxlesales.com/highpinionD44housing.aspx

These are nice housings

denverd1
05-07-2018, 11:16 AM
pook what did you end up with for a rear axle? haven't gone through your build thread, but looking for D44 builds.