PDA

View Full Version : Voltage drop in reverse?

ChaseRallix
08-12-2015, 12:12 AM
Not sure if this is an electrical problem or mechanical so feel free to move my post. At idle I have a steady 14 or so volts, same in neutral and drive, 3 and 1-2. but whne I drop it into reverse it feel like it's dying and voltage drops to barely over 12... is this normal? Anyone else have this problem and know how to fix it? I tried google but I either am not googling the right thing (likely) or it'snot been discussed (doubtful)

thanks!
88 XJ btw

Mudderoy
08-12-2015, 12:18 AM
Not sure if this is an electrical problem or mechanical so feel free to move my post. At idle I have a steady 14 or so volts, same in neutral and drive, 3 and 1-2. but whne I drop it into reverse it feel like it's dying and voltage drops to barely over 12... is this normal? Anyone else have this problem and know how to fix it? I tried google but I either am not googling the right thing (likely) or it'snot been discussed (doubtful)

thanks!
88 XJ btw

I wonder if you have a short in the backup lights, maybe an issue with the NSS (Neutral Safety Switch)

Carves
08-12-2015, 12:27 AM
I'd run with Mr Mudderoys idea, for starters.

Check your rear lights and wiring and maybe give the NSS a cleaning.

ChaseRallix
08-12-2015, 01:11 AM
I'll definitely check those out. Both my reverse lights go on so I don't think it's a short... maybe the NSS though. I'll be working on it this weekend so I'll let you guys know :D

Mudderoy
08-12-2015, 01:16 AM
I'll definitely check those out. Both my reverse lights go on so I don't think it's a short... maybe the NSS though. I'll be working on it this weekend so I'll let you guys know :D

What the voltage drop with the brakes depressed? How about the emergency blinkers.

slvmart
08-12-2015, 04:50 AM
Don't forget to check the trailer wiring harness and connector, if you have them.

nickyg
08-12-2015, 09:41 AM
Don't forget to check the trailer wiring harness and connector, if you have them.

Good Advice!!! That thought never even came across my mind.
I also was thinking NSS could use a going over.
Here's a video on how to do it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70m0Pu6ZJ_0

ChaseRallix
08-12-2015, 05:51 PM
I'll check those all out. Thanks guys! @Mudderoy I'll check that in a a few minutes when I drive home from work. I haven't noticed a drop though with that. I will check though

ChaseRallix
08-13-2015, 08:18 PM
Sorry about the delay... Ended up having to do some work on my truck... Anyway, no noticeable drop in voltage when pressing the brakes or turning on hazards.

downsy
08-22-2015, 12:04 PM
I had a similar issue on mine but it would blow out a fuse in the interior fuse panel that would shut the jeep down. Found a wire that has been rubbed though on the factory trailer wiring harness. The way it's routed the shackle on the driver's side would rub on it at certain angles and it rubbed a hole right through the insulation on the wire. I removed Jeep's routing clamps and re-routed it and then insulated the wire again and re-wrapped everything back up.