PDA

View Full Version : Changing My Radio Setup

xjzaped
08-09-2015, 10:45 PM
Looks like I'm changing my radio setup…a lot.

I recently bought me a new DD…and have started locating new to me (digital capable) radios for that one. Primary radio I just purchased is an Astro Spectra with W3 on VHF.

It got me thinking. I also just purchased an AVA (convertacom for the the Astro Saber series) and I happen to have a spare Astro Saber (VHF). I was thinking about Mounting the AVA on the back of the OEM center console, acquiring an extra W3 (or two for a W5 Astro Spectra I'm looking at buying) for it and adding a low cost HT amp under the seat.

Of course this requires pulling my Anyone AT-5888UV from the Jeep (cause I won't need it). Then again, I may go with a Simoco setup on that one…haven't decided yet.

prerunner1982
08-10-2015, 11:48 AM
You certainly take a different route.

If you want to get rid of the AT-5888UV, I will gladly take it off your hands. :D

On a side note, I went through Lubbock this weekend on my way from OKC to Hobbs, NM and back.. I was surprised by the great APRS coverage between Lubbock and Hobbs. with only 4 watts and a 1/4 wave mag mount antenna it did quite well.

xjzaped
08-10-2015, 08:50 PM
You certainly take a different route.

If you want to get rid of the AT-5888UV, I will gladly take it off your hands. :D

On a side note, I went through Lubbock this weekend on my way from OKC to Hobbs, NM and back.. I was surprised by the great APRS coverage between Lubbock and Hobbs. with only 4 watts and a 1/4 wave mag mount antenna it did quite well.

Shoulda PMd me. I actually had my XJ in town (it went back to CO yesterday).

Haha. I hear ya. I'm currently awaiting some info from Simoco. Trying to talk them into revamping their mobile line to allow dual radio single head configuration…if they can do that it'll be a whole new ball game.

Would've waited for it on the new DD but I just can't commit myself to install a 25W VHF radio. UHF yes, but not VHF. I'm okay with it in the XJ though.

ETA: I'm sorry you had to go to Hobbs…

XJ Wheeler
08-12-2015, 10:32 PM
ETA: I'm sorry you had to go to Hobbs…

Lol, x2!

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.