PDA

View Full Version : Prayer request for my mother

Brasscatz
08-05-2015, 09:43 PM
My mother has collapsed in the shower twice now. The first time, she kinda fainted and could not get up. Luckily her phone was close enough she could crawl to it and call my dad home from work. The second time was today, and her phone was too far away and she spent around 7 hours on the shower floor until my dad got home.

She was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes a few years back, but such a mild case that she wasn't on insulin or anything. She also has had a hip replacement last year. Really bad arthritis among other problems, but this is new.

Please say a prayer that she gets a good diagnosis on Monday from her doctor appointment and that she doesn't have any more spells. I really hate living so far away from my parents when stuff like this happens.

Thanks guys

XJ Wheeler
08-06-2015, 12:07 AM
Will be praying for sure bro. Hope she's in good care and has great doctors. Keep us updated.

Sent via messenger pigeon. I talk, he types.

Brasscatz
08-06-2015, 11:24 AM
Thanks, Jake

My sister's mother in law was going to take my mom in to get blood work done this morning. She called my dad at 9:15 to tell him she was sitting on the shower floor again :( I'm getting really worried.

They convinced the doctor to see her and they're up there right now.

Brasscatz
08-06-2015, 12:21 PM
Dr thinks it's her heart or neurological. CT scan ordered today, cardiologist tomorrow.

bluedragon436
08-06-2015, 02:35 PM
Prayers for her for sure!!!

tinythexj
08-06-2015, 03:28 PM
I have dealt with a similar issue in the family before so I know how hard that is. Prayers are going out to your family.

Brasscatz
08-06-2015, 03:30 PM
Thanks bro.

The latest update is that the CT scan showed 2 masses in her brain. They sent her to the ER to see a neurologist. She's waiting in triage for a spot right now. Dad's phone is almost dead, so I don't know when I'll get updates.

XJ Wheeler
08-06-2015, 04:22 PM
Glad they got on it quick. Hopefully this can be taken care of swiftly and easily.

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

autotech98
08-06-2015, 08:36 PM
Will be praying bro

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547

Brasscatz
08-06-2015, 09:35 PM
Thanks guys.

Latest update: there are 3 masses, 2 in the frontal lobe that are 2.5 centimeters and one about an inch or so at the base of her brain at the spinal cord. That one is certainly causing problems such as swelling, nerve issues, pinching, cutting off flow, etc. It needs to come out and will happen either tonight or tomorrow probably.
They said that these are probably caused by something else wrong in the body and are doing a body scan to look for other signs. Chances are high that this is cancer.

It was so sudden... they were literally just down here this weekend for a visit :(

Brasscatz
08-07-2015, 08:42 AM
Body scan came back this morning. She has a lesion in her breast, some in her lungs and her lymph nodes are swollen. Plan is to biopsy the one in her breast. The Oncologist believes this started with the one in her breast and spread. Biopsy will confirm that. This is not looking good right now.

xj-jake
08-07-2015, 08:51 AM
Sent one up and thinking about you and your family. Hang in there.

Brasscatz
08-07-2015, 03:22 PM
Won't get biopsy back for a few days. She is showing signs of diminished mental capacity right now. Could be anesthesia, might not be. Don't know. I'll probably drive up tonight before I don't have the chance to talk to my mom again.

xj-jake
08-07-2015, 04:23 PM
I'm sorry man good luck with everything and try to be positive.

Brasscatz
08-09-2015, 09:53 PM
Still waiting on biopsy results to find out what type of breast cancer she has.
Good news is that the steroids seem to be working and reducing the swelling in her brain which helps with her confusion. I drove up way late Friday night and saw her all day Saturday and also a bit this morning.

The oncologist and neurosurgeon say that she will get doses of radiation 5 times a week to hopefully shrink the tumors in her brain once results come back.

Please say prayers for her...

denverd1
08-10-2015, 07:02 PM
Whew. Prayers

Sent from my SCH-I905 using Tapatalk

DanB98TJ
08-12-2015, 06:56 PM
Sending up prayers for your mom and all of your family.

Brasscatz
08-14-2015, 10:04 AM
Biopsy results show that it is the most severe and fast moving kind of breast cancer. They will begin whole-head radiation today to try to shrink the tumors and then a more targeted radiation surgery to eradicate them. There's one tumor that is borderline too big to do anything about, but they're going to try.

Apparently, the radiation surgery causes a lot of swelling which is why they're doing whole-head first to try to shrink them. Swelling is what brought all this to our attention in the first place.

After they finish with her brain tumors, they'll begin chemo to try to fight the lesions in her lung and breast.

I don't really know how I feel for sure, other than I'm ready to fight and I hope she is too. I'm worried that she will not feel well enough and give up on a treatment or several. Maybe sending her daily pictures of my daughter with motivational messages will help to keep her fighting.

She's 60 years old and I'm 30. I'm not ready for her to go. My daughter is only 4 months old and I want her to grow up knowing her grandmother. I also want my future child to know their grandmother as well.

It's not fair.... I know cancer isn't discriminatory, but it's still not fair. I wish there was a way to only let bad things happen to bad people, but alas, I know God doesn't work that way.

XJ Wheeler
08-14-2015, 07:21 PM
Knowing what it is is the first step, and good they've found it so quickly.

Relaying some positive scripture may help. Things to keep her mind off of it too. Anything to make her laugh or keep her spirits up. Remind her what she's fighting for.

You've got my prayers and will spread the word. Stay strong bro, and be the rock for her.

4.3LXJ
08-16-2015, 08:21 PM
Sorry to hear this Jim. I have been out of phone or internet range the past nine days and did not know. Sent a couple up for you and her

Brasscatz
08-28-2015, 10:24 PM
Time for an update.

She has completed her final dose of radiation yesterday and had another consult today. They're trying to get her blood sugar down so that she can have a PET scan and will be prepping for chemo for 2 weeks before starting on it on the 14th. The radiation has made her extremely weak and tired.

The doctor said the average life span for this diagnosis and treatment is 3-4 years.... :(

4.3LXJ
08-28-2015, 11:01 PM
Sent one up for the both of you Jim

XJ Wheeler
08-29-2015, 01:30 AM
Without treatment, they said my mom would live two weeks. They gave us grim hope because of her particular diagnosis (aml) with a tough cell mutation (flt 3). We kept hearing this is a tough form of leukemia. Heck, I thought all were. But this one specifically. Over and over, I guess they wanted us ready in case it didn't work. Leave that with the doctors. They have their statistics and probabilities. We have God! Miracles do happen! I'm staring at one right now.

Brasscatz
09-03-2015, 11:18 AM
Latest update:

Mom finished her radiation last week and feels pretty tired and weak from it. She fell again in the foyer after retrieving the mail the other day.

Today, she went in to have her PIC line installed. Chemo should begin in another week or so.

autotech98
09-07-2015, 07:11 AM
Jim i will continue to pray for your family. Just have faith my friend

Brasscatz
09-21-2015, 02:01 PM
Mom isn't doing well right now. Called the oncologist at 4:30 this morning and went in. The chemo has dropped her white cell count dangerously low and is in danger of infection which is very bad news.

I'm not doing well, right now. I'm the type of guy to blow off my emotions by not thinking about things and that always comes back and bites me in the ass. We need more time, we need more strength, we need more everything. Please say prayers for her. I can tell that my dad isn't doing well right now either so please pray for his strength too.

autotech98
09-21-2015, 02:06 PM
Sorry to hear things arent going well man. Will continue to pray for all of you and hope tjings turn around man.

4.3LXJ
09-21-2015, 03:25 PM
Sent one up for you both Jim

XJ Wheeler
09-21-2015, 07:43 PM
The purpose of chemo is to knock off the cancer cells, but it can't differentiate the good cells from bad so it takes out white cells, red cells, and platelets (depending on the treatment) in the process. They usually can't boost white cells like platelet and red cell transfusions so you have to be very careful till they start to come back up. Infection is serious, and to be honest it probably will happen. My mom got an infection bad enough to go to the hospital almost every time she got chemo. She needs to watch her temps closely. At Md Anderson they said to come in if the temp was at or above 101.5°. And don't waste time getting there. We always had bags with a week's worth of clothes in the truck, still do actually, to not take any longer than we had too. The sooner they can get it diagnosed and the right antibiotics the better. But it's usually pretty easy to get rid of and take care of the symptoms.

I'm the same way, usually I can detach easily and it'll hit me later. But some things don't make that easy to do. Sometimes it's hard but just giving it to God and trying to leave it with Him is best. We aren't meant to hold on to things. That's why we have faith and hope. Without it, we're nothing but torn down people with nothing to look forward to.

There's a prayer I started a few years back and still say it to this day...

Dear Lord,
Help me to have faith it You, trust You and know that you are in control. That worrying does me no good. That You are there for me no matter what. That You will carry me through anything and everything. Amen.

Brasscatz
09-29-2015, 07:46 AM
Thanks guys.

Got a call from dad early this morning. Mom collapsed sometime during the night and was too weak to even lift her arms for dad to help her up. He had to call 911 and go in to the emergency room.

She did have/still has a sinus infection. She has been declining very rapidly the last week or so. Slept the entire day yesterday and hasn't been eating and drinking hardly anything.

My wife and I were planning a trip up there on the weekend of the 10th so she could see her granddaughter again, but we've all been sick off and on the last few weeks. Not a good thing to bring to a cancer patient.

I've been pretty reluctant to call her since she got her diagnosis because I know she's weak and needs sleep and her throat hurts from the chemo. But I can't help feeling like I'm a horrible son for not talking to her on the phone. We've texted a lot. I've also been sending her as many pictures and videos of my daughter as I can. After all... she's only been able to see her 3 times since she was born.

This shit sucks.

Brasscatz
09-29-2015, 11:56 AM
initial tests reveal no changes in her brain, but a lot of cloudiness in her lungs and severely high white blood cell count. Could be pneumonia, could be congestive heart failure. They are leaning towards pneumonia with sepsis currently. She's being admitted to the ICU again. I really hate being 4 hours away from her during this, but I'm still not over the latest stomach bug that's going through my family and I don't want to pass anything off on her that could.... you know.

Mudderoy
09-29-2015, 01:55 PM
Thanks guys.

Got a call from dad early this morning. Mom collapsed sometime during the night and was too weak to even lift her arms for dad to help her up. He had to call 911 and go in to the emergency room.

She did have/still has a sinus infection. She has been declining very rapidly the last week or so. Slept the entire day yesterday and hasn't been eating and drinking hardly anything.

My wife and I were planning a trip up there on the weekend of the 10th so she could see her granddaughter again, but we've all been sick off and on the last few weeks. Not a good thing to bring to a cancer patient.

I've been pretty reluctant to call her since she got her diagnosis because I know she's weak and needs sleep and her throat hurts from the chemo. But I can't help feeling like I'm a horrible son for not talking to her on the phone. We've texted a lot. I've also been sending her as many pictures and videos of my daughter as I can. After all... she's only been able to see her 3 times since she was born.

This shit sucks.

Get you some masks and gloves to wear and go see her.

Brasscatz
09-29-2015, 02:18 PM
Get you some masks and gloves to wear and go see her.

But do I want to chance it. If by some freak .0001% chance that she still catches something from me, do I want to chance being the one to cause premature......

Thing is, no matter what, if I go up there and there's further complications, there's nothing in this world that would be able to convince me that I didn't cause it. I need to trust in the doctors and God that she'll pull through this and I'll get to see her soon, and she'll get to see Dylan soon.

I was kicking myself earlier thinking about how I didn't take any pictures of her holding Dylan on their last visit. It brought me to tears when I asked my dad if he had any and he sent me some. They were taken days before she went in to the ER and got the diagnosis and she still looked like herself.

autotech98
09-29-2015, 06:14 PM
Jim i know your struggle. You want to be there but not if you will cause harm. Have faith in God and keep texting and calling. Your mom knows you want to be there and that probably means the world to her. I will continue to pray for her recovery and for strength for your family.

Brasscatz
09-30-2015, 02:44 PM
There's no change as of today. She is still unresponsive to stimuli and people. She'll be awake, but it seems as if she can't see or hear anybody or maybe there's just something affecting her communications center of her brain and she knows everything that's going on but cannot respond. I'm planning on going up tonight... just in case.

Limited exposure to me and my germs will be best... :(

4.3LXJ
09-30-2015, 03:34 PM
Sorry to hear that Jim. Same sort of thing happened to my mother. It is never easy

XJ Wheeler
09-30-2015, 07:06 PM
She may just be in a state of shock or something. Hoping and praying for the best. Safe trip bro.

Brasscatz
10-01-2015, 01:13 AM
Thanks guys. I made it up here several hours ago (thank God I didn't get pulled over for speeding) and sat with her for a while holding her hand. She would lightly squeeze it sometimes, but it could be her tremors. I'll believe that she knew she was holding my hand. I talked to her and even though she didn't show outward signs of anything.... I know she heard me. The nurses got her to wake up briefly while they changed her bi-pap mask and I was able to show her photos and videos of my daughter, which she did watch. Dad is sleeping in the room with her and I'm trying to sleep in the waiting room now. It's amazing to me that they don't have more places to lay down and don't allow the lights to be turned off in here.
Your thoughts and prayers are so very appreciated, and please keep them coming. Things do not look good at all right now, but she needs to beat this infection so she can get back to fighting her cancer.

Brasscatz
10-01-2015, 01:14 AM
Oh, and yes, I wore a mask and washed and sanitized the Hell out of my hands [emoji14] pray that she doesn't catch anything from me...

GoneWithTheWind
10-01-2015, 01:42 AM
Oh, and yes, I wore a mask and washed and sanitized the Hell out of my hands [emoji14] pray that she doesn't catch anything from me...

Prayers for your Mother and you. Tell one of the nurses about your concerns about contamination, they may have a paper gown or scrubs you could put on over your clothes. I'm glad you decided to go see her, it's no fun watching our parents get old. All the best to you.

Brasscatz
10-06-2015, 08:06 AM
She's been in for a week now. Still unresponsive. They had to put her on a ventilator which isn't good. She was breathing above what the machine was giving her, so they actually turned it off for a day, but had to turn it back on again. When I was up there, I saw her reach up and scratch her face, I asked if she was ok and she nodded! But that was the only time that happened. Before I left on Saturday, she took my hand in both of hers and rubbed it for a while... seemed like a pretty promising sign. She hasn't displayed much activity since I left, though. Her temp went back up and her white cell count sky-rocketed again. I think I'll be making another trip up at the end of this week. We (sister, dad and I) were told to have a conversation about a "DNR". Apparently, mom told her best friend that she wanted to fight, but if she got to where she was being kept alive by machines, then she wanted to be let go. We reached the agreement that as long as we/mom can fight, then we're going to fight like hell. But if we can't fight anymore.... then we'll have to let her go. She's not to that point yet, thank the Lord.

Bless my wife's heart... she has been working and taking care of our 6-month-old all by herself when I'm away. It's not an easy job and that makes me reluctant to leave again, but she supports me 100%. She is such a beautiful soul and I'm beyond lucky to have her.

I've been feeling much better lately, and I'm tempted to not wear a mask this time when I see mom. It's been nice to hold her hand, but I want to kiss her hand or her cheek not through a mask.... but I'm scared to chance it.

Brasscatz
10-07-2015, 09:16 AM
She had a really major seizure this morning. They just found something else in her brain. A type of infection of a sort that sometimes happens because of the brain tumors and radiation. It's growing fast. Irreversible. They're going to let her go. I need to decide if I'm going to go up there for it.

Mudderoy
10-07-2015, 09:25 AM
She had a really major seizure this morning. They just found something else in her brain. A type of infection of a sort that sometimes happens because of the brain tumors and radiation. It's growing fast. Irreversible. They're going to let her go. I need to decide if I'm going to go up there for it.

So sorry Jim.

autotech98
10-07-2015, 09:29 AM
Sorry man. Prayers for you in this difficult time

bluedragon436
10-07-2015, 09:36 AM

Sorry to hear about that... Still more prayers out for her and family!!

4.3LXJ
10-07-2015, 10:42 AM
Sorry to hear that Jim. You better go and say your good byes. It will help you if you do.

oderdene
10-07-2015, 07:01 PM
Sorry to hear that bro,

Brasscatz
10-07-2015, 11:38 PM
Thanks everybody. Got here around 5. They removed the ventilator about an hour ago. Now we wait. Prayers for strength

DanB98TJ
10-08-2015, 12:14 AM
I'm so sorry. I will keep you all in my prayers.

Brasscatz
10-08-2015, 10:41 PM
She's gone

GoneWithTheWind
10-08-2015, 10:57 PM
My condolences to you and your family.

4.3LXJ
10-08-2015, 11:25 PM
I am sorry to hear that Jim. I know it is tough. I lost my mother when I was young too

drakan1908
10-09-2015, 07:32 AM
My condolences to you and your family.

sent from a van down by the river

oderdene
10-11-2015, 05:33 PM
My condolences to you and your family

from samsung

Brasscatz
10-19-2015, 06:56 AM
For anybody who might be interested in getting to know a little about who my mother was, her obituary is online here:

http://www.lucasfuneralhomes.com/obituaries/Phyllis-Fulbright/#!/Obituary

XJ Wheeler
10-19-2015, 05:58 PM
I saw that on fb. Some wonderful stories about her. She's sounds like she was an amazing mom.

denverd1
10-22-2015, 06:08 AM
Sorry for your loss

sent from my Samsoon S5 from the bottom of a mud hole