PDA

View Full Version : Ever curse at your steering box?

muddeprived
04-19-2009, 07:33 AM
I did.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/muddeprived/cherokee/DSCF5962.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/muddeprived/cherokee/DSCF5963.jpg

No jeep now. :mad0090:

I guess i'll just laugh it off. :smiley-laughing021::smiley-laughing021:

:headbag:

BlueXJ
04-19-2009, 07:54 AM
Well yes I have cursed at mine. It is a hard job to get the bolts through the frame and that spacer and started without cross threading them. I changed over to grade 8 bolts and got them longer when I installed my bumper and replaced that cast aluminum spacer with a C-Roc steel spacer. Took me about twenty minutes to get it off and about three hours to get it back on.
Why did you pull your off?

Mudderoy
04-19-2009, 08:08 AM
I guess I got lucky putting the bumper on. No problem.

muddeprived
04-19-2009, 08:14 AM
Well yes I have cursed at mine. It is a hard job to get the bolts through the frame and that spacer and started without cross threading them. I changed over to grade 8 bolts and got them longer when I installed my bumper and replaced that cast aluminum spacer with a C-Roc steel spacer. Took me about twenty minutes to get it off and about three hours to get it back on.
Why did you pull your off?

I forgot about the spacer. I guess the spacer is what's still attached to the box in the picture.

I was unbolting it to do a backbone-install-write-up. Everything was going smooth until.........that.

Now i'm not sure whether to save $$ and get a used box or just buy a reman. The new ones are wayyy too much.

muddeprived
04-19-2009, 08:14 AM
I guess I got lucky putting the bumper on. No problem.

Well, living in texas sure helps. Come over to PA for about 10 years and see how easy stuff comes off. ;)

Mudderoy
04-19-2009, 08:16 AM
I forgot about the spacer. I guess the spacer is what's still attached to the box in the picture.

I was unbolting it to do a backbone-install-write-up. Everything was going smooth until.........that.

Now i'm not sure whether to save $$ and get a used box or just buy a reman. The new ones are wayyy too much.

It's hard to see from the picture. What is wrong? Did the bolts shear off?

muddeprived
04-19-2009, 08:18 AM
It's hard to see from the picture. What is wrong? Did the bolts shear off?

Yeah check out the 2nd picture. The two lower bolts are broken off inside, and no way in hell they are gonna come out. I had to move the jeep about 30 yards so I could get it out of the way. It was parked in the middle of the parking lot and I couldn't leave it there. It was kinda scary seeing the steering box twist with only one bolt holding it.

Mudderoy
04-19-2009, 08:23 AM
Yeah I can tell your steering box is very rusty. Mine didn't look like that at all.

muddeprived
04-19-2009, 08:29 AM
Yeah I can tell your steering box is very rusty. Mine didn't look like that at all.

That's what's weird about it. The steering box is rusted to hell but nothing else is.

Mudderoy
04-19-2009, 08:44 AM
What's that thing called, ez out? Soak the theaded end in WD40 or that other stuff I've read about and then try the ez out. I'd at least try that before buying a replacement.

muddeprived
04-19-2009, 09:02 AM
What's that thing called, ez out? Soak the theaded end in WD40 or that other stuff I've read about and then try the ez out. I'd at least try that before buying a replacement.

I soaked it in PB for a week and the bolt held my 185 lb body in the air before it snapped. I don't think they are coming out. I replaced every steering component so far so it would be best just to replace it with a new/raman and have a complete new steering system for a peace of mind.

It was also time for a fluid change cuz the fluid was watery/black. Good timing i guess.

firehawk
04-19-2009, 10:02 AM
deprived, those 3 bolts are put in with blue LockTite, it is the removable type though. If you have access to an easy out, drill into what's left of the bolts in the box with the correct sized drill for the easy out, and put some heat to them, Mapgas, or propane. That will "melt" the Locktite and the easy out should back the broken part of the bolts out.

We use ton's of salt here in Indiana too in the winter, but my box bolts were not rusted in the box, it was only the Locktite that made them hard to remove.

They have easy out's at AutoZone, Napa, O'Reilley's, etc...

muddeprived
04-19-2009, 11:14 AM
Alright I'll give it a try. Never hurts. :)

Mudderoy
04-19-2009, 11:59 AM
I soaked it in PB for a week and the bolt held my 185 lb body in the air before it snapped. I don't think they are coming out. I replaced every steering component so far so it would be best just to replace it with a new/raman and have a complete new steering system for a peace of mind.

It was also time for a fluid change cuz the fluid was watery/black. Good timing i guess.

Wholly Crap! Wow was I lucky with mine. Well I guess it is more the luck of the environment I live in.

xjjeepthing
04-19-2009, 04:49 PM
Indiana loves road salt. I cuss them every time I work on the XJ

Melissa
04-19-2009, 08:04 PM
Okay I know this is a little of topic, but not really.
I cuss the steering box in my Dodge everytime I drive it. It is on it's second steering box in less than three years.

This is a picture of my Dodge with it's wheels CRANKED all the way to the right

http://i730.photobucket.com/albums/ww305/melreese83/HPIM0500.jpg

http://i730.photobucket.com/albums/ww305/melreese83/HPIM0499.jpg

Then this is a picture of the wheel cranked all the way to the left

http://i730.photobucket.com/albums/ww305/melreese83/HPIM0501.jpg

http://i730.photobucket.com/albums/ww305/melreese83/HPIM0502.jpg

When I am pulling a trailer I have to time my turns, instead of turning right I have to make three lefts and then straight across the road instead of one right turn. It is very frustrating. The latest steering box was put in and I was told it was aligned right. It turns better than it did before but still not right and I don't have the slightest on how to correct it.

BlueXJ
04-20-2009, 11:40 AM
muddeprived drill them out and forget the threads. Just through bolt them with grade 8 bolts and nyloc nuts and get the ones that are cadnium coated and they will last for years without being corroded. The steering box is fine just drill out the sheared off bolts and then the threads. Less than a $5 fix but labor intensive.

Mel I don't know what to say about your Dodge. Sry.

muddeprived
04-20-2009, 04:21 PM
muddeprived drill them out and forget the threads. Just through bolt them with grade 8 bolts and nyloc nuts and get the ones that are cadnium coated and they will last for years without being corroded. The steering box is fine just drill out the sheared off bolts and then the threads. Less than a $5 fix but labor intensive.

Mel I don't know what to say about your Dodge. Sry.

Gonna try the ez-out trick first, if that fails, then i'll drill em out. I have a feeling that the ez-out will get it done and then i can drill out the hole and use a bolt/nut instead. That'll be easier than drilling out the entire bolt itself.

firehawk
04-20-2009, 06:35 PM
Okay I know this is a little of topic, but not really.
I cuss the steering box in my Dodge everytime I drive it. It is on it's second steering box in less than three years.

When I am pulling a trailer I have to time my turns, instead of turning right I have to make three lefts and then straight across the road instead of one right turn. It is very frustrating. The latest steering box was put in and I was told it was aligned right. It turns better than it did before but still not right and I don't have the slightest on how to correct it.

Mel, the only cause I can think of is the pitman arm is not on the steeringbox right. By that I mean it is not pointed straight ahead when the wheels are pointed straight. Does the truck want to wander while driving straight? If it does, it might be the steering box is not on center. Most if not all vehicles will steer "harder/stiffer" while driving straight, and ease up some when turning. That way you don't have to keep correcting constantly while driving in a straight line. There is a correct "term" for what I'm saying, I just can't think of it right now.:confused:

BlueXJ
04-20-2009, 07:00 PM
Centered is what I would call it firehawk.

Mudderoy
04-20-2009, 07:47 PM
Mel, the only cause I can think of is the pitman arm is not on the steeringbox right. By that I mean it is not pointed straight ahead when the wheels are pointed straight. Does the truck want to wander while driving straight? If it does, it might be the steering box is not on center. Most if not all vehicles will steer "harder/stiffer" while driving straight, and ease up some when turning. That way you don't have to keep correcting constantly while driving in a straight line. There is a correct "term" for what I'm saying, I just can't think of it right now.:confused:

That's a good point. If the steering box wasn't centered in the turning radius that could account for that issue. Pretty simple fix.

Melissa
04-20-2009, 08:56 PM

Centered is what I would call it firehawk.

That's a good point. If the steering box wasn't centered in the turning radius that could account for that issue. Pretty simple fix.

It does wander while driving, but I have not had it aligned in years, was waiting to figure out the steering box.

How about this, if you are going straight down the road and hit a bump just right at 30-35mph the whole front end shakes so bad and I have to hit the brakes to make it stop. Just put $1,100 in the front end and was told the shaking would stop, Nope still there.

I will have someone look at the steering box it again, if it really is simple and I have been driving like this for 6 years because it is not centered, I might just have to scream and say a bunch of VERY colorful words :D

BlueXJ
04-20-2009, 09:40 PM
That shaking is what we Jeepers call "Death Wobble" or DW. It is due to worn components.
That $1100 you spent was to someone who cheated you. They could have rebuilt all the front end components for that kinda cash and your DW would have disappeared.

muddeprived
04-21-2009, 12:41 AM
Well....it's still a big FAIL. I used maap gas and heated the bolt till it was almost red and then tried to turn the ez-out bolt extractor and....snap. Tried on the other broken bolt and it just spins out. These bolts are NOT coming out. The worst part is that the alum spacer is threaded onto the bolts so can't get that off either.

Looks like a new box is the way to go but have to find a spacer.

Mudderoy
04-21-2009, 01:35 AM
Well crap. I was hopeful. I would vote against salt next election.

DETOURS
04-21-2009, 08:51 AM
What Jeep did was 'mix' metals, (aluminum/cast iron/hardened steel) creating white rust and a bonding of the metals, military Hummers suffer from this greatly thru-out their body. Broken steering box bolts are typically a snow belt issue as the salt accellerates the crusty issue.........it's never good, I know of atleast one XJ in Michigan who's bolts broke while driving on the street due to the rust........:headshake:

Mell........Dodges are ment to only go straight. :smiley-laughing021:
Like others have said, dosent look centered at all, a full turn off when installed, besides that, Dodges have crappy turning radious's anywho......

Mudderoy
04-21-2009, 09:15 AM
It does wander while driving, but I have not had it aligned in years, was waiting to figure out the steering box.

How about this, if you are going straight down the road and hit a bump just right at 30-35mph the whole front end shakes so bad and I have to hit the brakes to make it stop. Just put $1,100 in the front end and was told the shaking would stop, Nope still there.

I will have someone look at the steering box it again, if it really is simple and I have been driving like this for 6 years because it is not centered, I might just have to scream and say a bunch of VERY colorful words :D

Hey, you could have asked us 6 years ago. :smiley-laughing021:

BlueXJ
04-21-2009, 10:11 AM
Gonna send my suspension inspectors. They are coming by FedEx so should be there in a few days.
http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll187/90BlueXJ/Cute%20Cats/SuspensionInspectors.jpg

DETOURS
04-21-2009, 12:59 PM
OPHHH.......nothin a running engine, vacum cleaner hose and cardboard box could'nt handle.....;)

BlueXJ
04-21-2009, 01:47 PM
OPHHH.......nothin a running engine, vacum cleaner hose and cardboard box could'nt handle.....;)

OK what is that supposed to mean. You plannin' on harming my inspectors?

Melissa
04-21-2009, 01:53 PM
Well....it's still a big FAIL. I used maap gas and heated the bolt till it was almost red and then tried to turn the ez-out bolt extractor and....snap. Tried on the other broken bolt and it just spins out. These bolts are NOT coming out. The worst part is that the alum spacer is threaded onto the bolts so can't get that off either.

Looks like a new box is the way to go but have to find a spacer.

If you do get another steering box, would ya if you could snap some pictures and let me know how to install one, I would really appreciate the info :)

Melissa
04-21-2009, 01:56 PM
Mell........Dodges are ment to only go straight. :smiley-laughing021:
Like others have said, dosent look centered at all, a full turn off when installed, besides that, Dodges have crappy turning radious's anywho......

Hey, you could have asked us 6 years ago. :smiley-laughing021:

Two words for you two smart a$$, lol :smiley-taunt013:

DETOURS
04-21-2009, 06:30 PM
OK what is that supposed to mean. You plannin' on harming my inspectors?

No..........Destroying them! :cop:

muddeprived
04-21-2009, 09:10 PM
If you do get another steering box, would ya if you could snap some pictures and let me know how to install one, I would really appreciate the info :)

That seems to be an impossible mission to accomplish but I will do it for your sake. :)

I'm creating an extensive write-up on installing the backbone and i guess i'll insert how to swap a steering box in the middle of it.

Melissa
04-21-2009, 09:32 PM
That seems to be an impossible mission to accomplish but I will do it for your sake. :)

I'm creating an extensive write-up on installing the backbone and i guess i'll insert how to swap a steering box in the middle of it.

If you can't no big deal, I'll just knows who's brain to pick when it comes time :D

Mudderoy
05-08-2009, 02:54 AM
If you can't no big deal, I'll just knows who's brain to pick when it comes time :D

Did you get the steering fixed on your pickup?

Melissa
05-08-2009, 03:10 AM
Did you get the steering fixed on your pickup?

Not yet, had more important things to do first, like the bumper on my jeep :D

I will have it worked on again, I just don't know when yet. I should have had it done this past winter when it was just sitting around, but now I have been using it so much it might have to wait until later this summer.

Mudderoy
05-08-2009, 09:49 AM
If it is anything like the XJ you are looking at 15 minutes of work to fix it.

Remove nut, get pitman arm off, spin wheel back and forth to find the center then put the pitman arm on and nut.