PDA

View Full Version : Engine noise please help!!

rm2406
07-31-2015, 12:47 PM
1995 jeep cherokee 4.oi6cyl. 75k on odom.

Hello all, as always this is where i get all my help for my xj!
My problem is my engine just started making this weird noise mostly under load. Ok so in park in doesnt make any noise unless i rev it higher than 2500rpms.. Now in drive it makes noise at 800rpms and up! Its not ticking or any other "normal" jeep noise.. I will describe it like this... When you hear the noise it sounds like a plastic bag is dragging fluttering around. Trust me there is no bag underneath. I hear it more so on the passenger side from somewhere lower than heads towaqrds the back of engine.the only time ive heard a noise similar to this was on my wifes honda when it was underload it was pinging from bad adjusted dizzy.. This jeep does not have a adjustable dizzy. Ok last thing.. I lost my job a couple months ago so my jeeps been parked for about 2 1/2 months but i warmed it up every week or so.. This last time i didnt get to start it up to warm it up because i waited a bit to long so it died..this morning i jump started it and the noise was very lightly there. As it warmed a bit the light noise went away but still did it under load in drive or high rpms in park. Before i parked it, it was great at all rpms underload or not.. Your help is appreciated.. Thanks!

4.3LXJ
07-31-2015, 01:02 PM
Didn't we just have a fluttering bag thread recently. Never did hear what the solution was

rm2406
07-31-2015, 01:06 PM
Not sure.... But would like to hear some opinions please...

NW99XJ
07-31-2015, 01:06 PM
Sounds like it could be a cracked flex plate.
Easy enough to tell.... Just pull back the inspection cover,
...and look in there with a good flash light while a friend bumps the starter to get it to rotate around every now and again.
You'll be looking for cracks around the mounting points.
Here's a decent video of the process: https://youtu.be/k21NSEm96H8

good luck, hope this helps with the process of elimination.

rm2406
07-31-2015, 01:21 PM
Would this happen from it just being parked though??

rm2406
07-31-2015, 02:02 PM
I checked the flex plate a few weeks ago for another reason but i can definetly double check it again.. Any other ideas? Also im trying to get a video but when i raise the rpms it gets loud so let me see what i can get..

Mudderoy
07-31-2015, 10:55 PM
When you checked the flexplate, does that mean you checked the torque converter bolts to the flexplate.

rm2406
08-02-2015, 08:46 PM
I checked the plate for cracks and bolt tightness..

rm2406
08-02-2015, 08:49 PM
If you take a plastic bag and waved it in the air real fast that's exactly what it sounds like! Park and neutral u have to rev it high to hear.. under load u can hear it almost as soon as u apply gas..

4.3LXJ
08-02-2015, 09:35 PM
I think your catalytic converter is coming apart inside

rm2406
08-02-2015, 10:22 PM
My cat is brand new.. about 3 months ago I got it. And I hear the noise with the hood up on passengers side somewhere towards the back of the valve cover but on the lower part of engine. It's drove perfectly fine. I parked it for a couple months bit I made sure to start it once a week.. battery died I got it jumped took it for a drive to charge battery and that's when it started happening.

rm2406
08-02-2015, 10:55 PM
I just got in from out of town bit tomorrow morning I will get a video so maybe it will help figure it out.

93xj97347
08-03-2015, 02:07 AM
I would say the exhaust but that's on the other side. The only thing I can think of besides flexplate is maybe the starter bolts are loose.

rm2406
08-03-2015, 09:41 AM
When It was dead and I first tried to start it, it did make a funny noise when it engaged. I thought it made that noise because of the dead battery. Maybe the starter solenoid is not retracting. Hmm let me look closer at it.. thanks for helping guys..

rm2406
08-05-2015, 07:58 PM
Update.... fortunately it was embarrassingly simple... right before the battery died I changed the fan clutch. Apparently the bottom of the shroud split apart and with the heavy duty fan clutch it was sucking the shroud towards the blades making that noise.. the more I applied gas the more it brought the broken shroud in towards the blades the louder it got!..... thanks for the tech support guys!..

NW99XJ
08-06-2015, 08:28 AM
Glad it worked out for ya!
It's always a big relief when you find it's something simple like that.
One time i thought my CPS had went out... turned out the rotor had grenaded inside my distributor.

Mudderoy
08-06-2015, 09:03 AM
Update.... fortunately it was embarrassingly simple... right before the battery died I changed the fan clutch. Apparently the bottom of the shroud split apart and with the heavy duty fan clutch it was sucking the shroud towards the blades making that noise.. the more I applied gas the more it brought the broken shroud in towards the blades the louder it got!..... thanks for the tech support guys!..

That's great news. Those shrouds are pretty cheap online. I think I got a couple spares from TeamCherokee or RockAuto