PDA

View Full Version : Simple CB

packmule1911
07-23-2015, 09:04 AM
Read through the threads. Some are old, and some folks don't like old threads resurrected. I'm seeking some advice on my first CB install. I don't know anything, and the threads I've read blessed me with a headache. My simple place thus far is:

Vehicle: '01 Limited.
Radio: $40 Cobra, Midland, or Uniden compact (whatever's around here).
Antenna: Firestik? Seems to be what folks like, but I see reference to using a small commercial radio antenna as well.

Antenna placement:
1. I like the logic of what xjzaped posted about a hood channel mount, and that it's common for public safety installations, so I assume it works well. I like the idea of not having to route coax very far.
2. Mudderoy's passenger tail light mounting location seems great as well.

I appreciate your patience and keeping it simple.

prerunner1982
07-23-2015, 09:15 AM
We don't mind resurrected threads here.... if the info is relevant to your situation by all means.

Cobra 19s are fine radios, I have run a number of different versions over the years.

Antenna... do you have a height limit? I am a big fan of 102" whips, they are the best performing and easiest to tune antennas. Whichever antenna you choose get a spring for it, it will save your antenna from getting broken by branches.

My CB antenna is mounted above my driver side tail light to avoid bashing trees along the side of the road as I was running a 102" whip. The passenger side is generally considered better because your signal is a bit skewed when the antenna is not mounted right in the middle of the vehicle. With it mounted on the passenger side tail light the signal skews to the front and drivers side, which is great for travelling down the highway as you can talk to on coming traffic, not as big of a deal in a small group on the trails.

I have my ham antenna mounted on my driverside fender lip on my daily driver (mounted top center of the vehicle on the trail rig). It works fine and you can see the antenna to tell what you are going to hit it on. I have noticed a performance difference though both receive and transmit with the antenna in this location. If it is not mounted top dead center of the vehicle it is a compromise in performance.

I do think the 102" whip makes up for some of that compromise though as I have been able to talk 10 miles (open farm country) with my Cobra 19 and 102" whip mounted above the driverside taillight.... my watt meter said I was only putting out 2.5 watts (4 is legal max).

packmule1911
07-23-2015, 09:29 AM
Antenna... do you have a height limit ?
No limit per se. In general I like the idea of a low profile, smaller foot print solution, but that doesn't mean longer is a problem. Want it to work well though.

The main motivation is to be able to communicate in emergencies. While I love the idea of trails, I don't know where any are around here, and haven't connected with the groups who do. The Jeep is stock, other than a throttle body spacer, and since my kids are still with us I don't really have the money to do much, yet.

Mudderoy
07-23-2015, 09:53 AM
Not my taste, but for practically...

CB run power all the way to the battery.

Mount a firestick on the front bumper. I don't think the fender lip would be strong enough.

You cable run would be simple and short and the antenna would be well out of the way of most obstacles.

prerunner1982
07-23-2015, 10:00 AM
No limit per se. In general I like the idea of a low profile, smaller foot print solution, but that doesn't mean longer is a problem. Want it to work well though.

The main motivation is to be able to communicate in emergencies. While I love the idea of trails, I don't know where any are around here, and haven't connected with the groups who do. The Jeep is stock, other than a throttle body spacer, and since my kids are still with us I don't really have the money to do much, yet.

For low profile and emergency communications I would have to suggest ham radio. A 1/4 wave antenna for CB is 108" (102" whip plus spring= 108").. a 1/4 wave antenna for 2 meter ham radio is about 20". With repeaters ham radio communications can reach further and more reliably. It isn't all that hard to get your Technician (entry level) license. Let me know if you are interested in more info.

prerunner1982
07-23-2015, 10:03 AM
You can mount a 3 or 4' CB antenna on the front of your Jeep, but don't expect more than about 2 miles or SO out of it. A short antenna mounted on top would do a bit better... long whip would be best.

packmule1911
07-23-2015, 11:51 AM
Let me know if you are interested in more info.

I'm interested in most all of it. I don't have the expectations of being an expert at any of it, but I do not want to be ignorant or without functional knowledge and passable skill. So, yes, I'd be happy to learn about Ham radio options with my Jeep.

prerunner1982
07-23-2015, 12:10 PM
I had good luck using the FREE Tech study guide from WB6NU, http://www.kb6nu.com/study-guides/

The tests are typically $15 to take and your ham license is good for 10yrs.

Now the mobile ham radios are more expensive than the compact CBs... but you get more power and better quality audio and more reliability. A 2 meter single band ham radio can be had for about $130-140 and an antenna for about $30 (though they can get pretty expensive as well).

You can start out with an HT (Handy Talkie).. such as a Baofeng for $30. Not the best for mobile but with an external mag mount it can be doable until funds are saved for a mobile radio.

I ended up going with a dual band radio not only due to the additional frequencies it allowed me to use but also the fact that they typically have remote heads, the "faceplate" comes off the radio and can be mounted away from the radio body. I have my radio under the seat with the remote head on the dash.

There is so much more that I can go on for awhile. First thing first is to study and get your license.

Feel free to ask any question you might have.

Mudderoy
07-23-2015, 12:22 PM
For low profile and emergency communications I would have to suggest ham radio. A 1/4 wave antenna for CB is 108" (102" whip plus spring= 108").. a 1/4 wave antenna for 2 meter ham radio is about 20". With repeaters ham radio communications can reach further and more reliably. It isn't all that hard to get your Technician (entry level) license. Let me know if you are interested in more info.

Very true and FM less people, quieter, the list is long. The downside? You can't talk to that girl and the truck stop/rest area. ;o)

70cm antenna is even shorter!

bluedragon436
07-23-2015, 12:26 PM
I have the Cobra 75WXST... it isn't the cheapest CB setup, but it is a compact unit, which covers WX channels as well, and is pretty easily removed if you feel like removing the main unit for the radio... I have the JCR tail light mount.. unfortunately when I bought mine, they didn't have one out for the passenger side, but they do now, so you can have on for either side, or both if you want to run two ant. setup....

http://www.jcroffroad.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/XJCB-PC_WJ_NB_1_405x270.JPG

Mudderoy
07-23-2015, 12:29 PM
You can mount a 3 or 4' CB antenna on the front of your Jeep, but don't expect more than about 2 miles or SO out of it. A short antenna mounted on top would do a bit better... long whip would be best.

Really? I wouldn't expect that. I mean depending on band conditions I guess. I would think at night with no ionosphere prorogation you'd get 15 to 20 miles mobile to base. Best pattern would be to the rear of course.

Mudderoy
07-23-2015, 12:31 PM
I have the Cobra 75WXST... it isn't the cheapest CB setup, but it is a compact unit, which covers WX channels as well, and is pretty easily removed if you feel like removing the main unit for the radio... I have the JCR tail light mount.. unfortunately when I bought mine, they didn't have one out for the passenger side, but they do now, so you can have on for either side, or both if you want to run two ant. setup....

http://www.jcroffroad.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/XJCB-PC_WJ_NB_1_405x270.JPG

Yeah and if you have a vice, a hack saw, a drill and a BF hammer you can make one pretty easy.

prerunner1982
07-23-2015, 12:31 PM
Really? I wouldn't expect that. I mean depending on band conditions I guess. I would think at night with no ionosphere prorogation you'd get 15 to 20 miles mobile to base. Best pattern would be to the rear of course.

To base maybe.... but I figured we were talking CB mobile to CB mobile. Besides most base CBs around here are alligators, all mouth and no ears and I wouldn't want to depend on them to help me in an emergency. Besides the fact there are far fewer base CBs than hams.

packmule1911
07-24-2015, 11:48 AM
Thinking about equipping my wife's van too, or the GC my son drives. Are the handheld units garbage, or might they be viable for fairly close convoys?

prerunner1982
07-24-2015, 11:52 AM
What kind of handhelds are we talking about? CB, Ham radio, the FRS/GMRS radios you buy in pairs at walmart?

packmule1911
07-24-2015, 11:55 AM
What kind of handhelds are we talking about? CB, Ham radio, the FRS/GMRS radios you buy in pairs at walmart?

We've got a pair of FRS/GMRS at the ready for bug out. I was wondering about handheld CB and HAM (if there is handheld HAM).

Sorry I wasn't specific.

packmule1911
07-24-2015, 12:05 PM
I had good luck using the FREE Tech study guide from WB6NU, http://www.kb6nu.com/study-guides/

The tests are typically $15 to take and your ham license is good for 10yrs.

Am I looking for the technicain class guide, or general? Thanks.

prerunner1982
07-24-2015, 12:49 PM
The Midland 75-822 ($125) is a true handheld CB that comes with the adapters needed to use it in the vehicle (power plug and external antenna plug).

Cobra has a couple of true handheld CB radios but they also have the Cobra 75 WX ST ($130) which has all the radio controls in the mic so the body of the radio can be mounted elsewhere.

There are handheld Ham radios called HTs (Handy Talkies) that range from $30 to $500... but each user is required to have a ham license.

The Cobra 75 is about like any other mobile CB if used with an external antenna.

Most handheld radios regardless of type (CB, Ham, FRS/GRMS) won't work very well from inside a vehicle with the stock antenna attached to the radio.

prerunner1982
07-24-2015, 12:57 PM
Am I looking for the technicain class guide, or general? Thanks.

Technician. It will get you good local communications (50.0-54.0 MHz aka 6 meters, 144-148 MHz aka 2 meter, 222.0-225.0 MHz aka 1.25 meter, 420.0-450.0 MHz aka 70cm, 902.0-928.0 MHz aka 33cm, and on up into the hundreds of Gigahertz) . If you want to go for your General you still have to take and pass the Technician exam. The General class license gives you access to a lot more frequencies in the HF range providing world wide communications.

Most local repeaters are in the 2m and 70cm frequency range.

The HT ham radio I use is on Amazon right now for about $26.25, radio programming cable is $5.50, the external antenna is $22 and the adapter to mate the antenna to the radio is $6.50. If you include the cost of the ham license test ($15) you are on the air for $75.25.

Here are the items I have:
Radio: Amazon.com : BaoFeng UV5R Dual-Band Two-Way Radio, Black : Frs Two Way Radios : Electronics@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/511g69P-3ZL.@@AMEPARAM@@511g69P-3ZL
Radio Programming Cable: Amazon.com : USB Programming Cable for Baofeng UV-5R UV-3R+ Two way Radio With Driver CD : Computer Usb Cables : Car Electronics@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41346zb5ugL.@@AMEPARAM@@41346zb5ugL
Antenna: Amazon.com: Tram 1185 Amateur Dual-Band Magnet Antenna: GPS & Navigation@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31ZH9uoi81L.@@AMEPARAM@@31ZH9uoi81L
Adapter: Amazon.com: DHT Handheld Antenna Cable for Wouxun Baofeng Quasheng Linton - Adapter for UHF Base and Mobile Antennas - SMA Female to UHF SO-239 Female Connectors 6'': Computers & Accessories@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41wpeu5fcuL.@@AMEPARAM@@41wpeu5fcuL

To get you started that would get you there, ultimately you would probably want to save up for a higher power mobile radio.

Poorboy
07-24-2015, 02:05 PM
I'm running a uniden radio with a short fiberglass firestick, mounted on the drivers front fender. It works well for trail use and meets my height restrictions for patrolling underground garages for my employer.

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii102/poorboy_616/New%20Jeep/20150703_184509_zpsdx60lzoy.jpg (http://s262.photobucket.com/user/poorboy_616/media/New%20Jeep/20150703_184509_zpsdx60lzoy.jpg.html)

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

packmule1911
07-27-2015, 03:08 PM
Technician. It will get you good local communications (50.0-54.0 MHz aka 6 meters, 144-148 MHz aka 2 meter, 222.0-225.0 MHz aka 1.25 meter, 420.0-450.0 MHz aka 70cm, 902.0-928.0 MHz aka 33cm, and on up into the hundreds of Gigahertz).

Thank you. I do not grasp the Hz and cm measurements pertaining to radio yet, but I do know that the low E string on bass resonates at 100MHz. I'll learn.

You mentioned a more powerful radio. Is the power related to the license you have, or can you start out with a more powerful later? Some of the other options the Amazon serves up specifically say "HAM" in the descriptions. What identifies a radio as HAM?

prerunner1982
07-27-2015, 03:27 PM
The 2 meter band, 144-148MHz isn't too much higher than the FM radio stations you listen too which stop at 108MHz. Most 2m HT and Mobile radios operate in FM as well so the sound quality is much like your FM radio station as well. CB is AM ... much like AM radio stations as far as sound quality goes.

You can legally operate 1500 watts with any FCC Amateur Radio License more or less, there are some exceptions there. But if we are strictly speaking VHF/UHF (typically mobile ham radios) you won't need more than the radio puts out which is typically 40-75 watts depending on radio.

My mobile puts out 50 watts on 2m and does fine.

prerunner1982
07-27-2015, 03:28 PM
Some of the other options the Amazon serves up specifically say "HAM" in the descriptions. What identifies a radio as HAM?

The frequencies that it operates in that requires you to have an Amateur Radio license from the FCC to use.

prerunner1982
07-27-2015, 03:47 PM
Thank you. I do not grasp the Hz and cm measurements pertaining to radio yet,
MHz is Frequency and Meter/cm is Wavelength.

300 / MHz = Meters/cm
300/ Meters/cm = MHz.

example: 300 / 2 Meters = 150MHz approx, really 144-148.
300 / 27.185MHz = 11.03 or 11 Meters (CB), 27.185MHz is Channel 19 for CB.

I know MHz and Meters is confusing if I remember correctly Josh (NW99XJ) also had a bit of an issue with that. If we are talking about a radio we typically will use the Wavelength description... I have a 2m radio or 10m radio but if we are talking about a repeater we would say the 147.135 machine or someone would say meet me on 146.485 simplex.

Frequency is for exact, Wavelength is to describe a range of frequencies.

Hope that doesn't confuse you any more.. if so forget I said anything and I will delete. :D

packmule1911
07-27-2015, 03:56 PM
300 / MHz = Meters/cm
300/ Meters/cm = MHz.

example: 300 / 2 Meters = 150MHz approx, really 144-148.
300 / 27.185MHz = 11.03 or 11 Meters (CB), 27.185MHz is Channel 19 for CB.

I know MHz and Meters is confusing if I remember correctly Josh (NW99XJ) also had a bit of an issue with that. If we are talking about a radio we typically will use the Wavelength description... I have a 2m radio or 10m radio but if we are talking about a repeater we would say the 147.135 machine or someone would say meet me on 146.485 simplex.

Frequency is for exact, Wavelength is to describe a range of frequencies.

Hope that doesn't confuse you any more.. if so forget I said anything and I will delete. :D

No. It's all good. What a meter is in this case would be good to know. I have a physics of sound class in college, a long time ago, and we studied sine waves. I cared a little, but not as much as I wish I'd have.

If you get tired of teaching, I won't be offended. I'll probably start to grasp this better when I have some gear in hand and am actually doing something instead of just thinking about it.

prerunner1982
07-27-2015, 04:04 PM
A meter is about 3.3 feet. For 148MHz the radio wave is about 6.6' (2 meters) long.

I don't mind teaching others about ham radio at all.

Mudderoy
07-27-2015, 04:11 PM
A meter is about 3.3 feet. For 148MHz the radio wave is about 6.6' (2 meters) long.

I don't mind teaching others about ham radio at all.

Most mobile antennas are 1/4 wave, which would be that 6.6' divided by 4 :rolleye0012:

prerunner1982
07-27-2015, 04:14 PM
Most mobile antennas are 1/4 wave, which would be that 6.6' divided by 4 :rolleye0012:

Correct.. about 20"

For low profile and emergency communications I would have to suggest ham radio. A 1/4 wave antenna for CB is 108" (102" whip plus spring= 108").. a 1/4 wave antenna for 2 meter ham radio is about 20". .

packmule1911
07-27-2015, 06:53 PM
The HT ham radio I use is on Amazon right now for about $26.25.

Radio: Amazon.com : BaoFeng UV5R Dual-Band Two-Way Radio, Black : Frs Two Way Radios : Electronics (http://www.amazon.com/BaoFeng-UV5R-Dual-Band-Two-Way-Radio/dp/B007H4VT7A/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1437760925&sr=1-1&keywords=UV5r)

Bought the radio. Getting the other stuff next time. Will probably plan around with CB too so as to not be ignorant on either.

packmule1911
07-27-2015, 06:55 PM

Thanks. So "meter" is the length of the wave. That's probably obvious, but I thought it could have been the reading on a multimeter or something like it.

prerunner1982
07-28-2015, 07:58 AM
Thanks. So "meter" is the length of the wave.

You got it.

prerunner1982
07-28-2015, 08:44 AM
Bought the radio.

Knowing how to field/manually program the radio is always good knowledge, but for general use get the programming cable and download the CHIRP software.

www.miklor.com is a great resource for the Baofeng/Pofung radios.

Mudderoy
07-28-2015, 09:08 AM
Thanks. So "meter" is the length of the wave. That's probably obvious, but I thought it could have been the reading on a multimeter or something like it.

http://www.studyphysics.ca/newnotes/20/unit03_mechanicalwaves/chp141516_waves/images/wavelength.png

http://www.cdt21.com/parts/zu/zu_9.gif

A wave is the distance a certain radio frequency travels peak to peak (well I guess null to null looking at these pictures)

Your antenna has to "fit" inside that distance for it to be resonant.

When it doesn't fit, the some of the power is fed back to the transmitter.

So as you change frequency you must change the length of your antenna for it to work 100% (well near) efficiency.

Oh and I better throw this one in so every understands why a 1/4 wave antenna would work on our vehicles.

http://electriciantraining.tpub.com/14182/img/14182_188_2.jpg

That means that ANY vehicle that isn't made of metal (or has enough of it) cannot run a 1/4 wave antenna.

packmule1911
07-28-2015, 09:50 AM
www.miklor.com is a great resource for the Baofeng/Pofung radios.

Thanks. No luck loading a visible page, but I'll check back.

packmule1911
07-28-2015, 09:59 AM
A wave is the distance a certain radio frequency travels peak to peak (well I guess null to null looking at these pictures)

Your antenna has to "fit" inside that distance for it to be resonant.

When it doesn't fit, the some of the power is fed back to the transmitter.

So as you change frequency you must change the length of your antenna for it to work 100% (well near) efficiency.

An antenna being largely a fixed length physical thing, how would you change the length to match the variability of the frequency range?

Mudderoy
07-28-2015, 10:10 AM
An antenna being largely a fixed length physical thing, how would you change the length to match the variability of the frequency range?

You can use multiple antennas and a switch box, or you can use a loading coil. Coils are bad because they generate heat, which is a loss of power, but a mis-tuned antenna works better and is safer for the transmitter.

There is a thing called a screwdriver antenna that allows you to move the contact point on the coil so that it electrically changes the length of the antenna. Screwdriver antennas are said to have a higher "Q" than my set up, but I get excellent signal reports for a mobile, and HAMs seem amazed it works as well as it does. I like the screwdriver antenna, but I have a problem with hanging a $300 to $600 antenna on the outside of my Jeep, plus you have to take it apart if you park in a garage.

I almost forgot the "Bug Catcher" antenna. These things are as ugly as our Jeeps! They have the highest "Q" rating, if I recall, but they are a manual antenna. You literally take an alligator clip with a wire attached and move it to a place on the BIG coil that makes your antenna resonate for a specific band.

Another way is with an automatic antenna tuner, they do have manual ones. I use the IC-AH4 antenna tuner and a 102" whip. I can tune from 40 meters to 6 meters by clicking the mic and in less than 3 seconds I'm ready to transmit.

I have a 3' mast extension for the whip if I want it to work better on 40 meters, and I believe 75 meters will tune on it. It's been awhile since I messed with 75 meters (80m) via mobile.

Oh! I forgot about HAM sticks. You have to pull over and physically change antennas, but it's not too bad on a long trip. I have 75 meter to 10 meter HAM sticks. Used those before I got the auto tuner.

prerunner1982
07-28-2015, 10:18 AM

If you want to get expensive... you could run a screwdriver antenna with a controller that will adjust the length of the antenna.
http://pi.b5z.net/zirw/1/i/u/2016356/i/pdir/338/i/2-birthday_007.jpg?ab=13

Or there is an antenna that has a loading coil and you change out the whips depending on the frequency you want to operate in.

This is really only for HF stuff.

If you have a 2m and 70cm dual band radio there are antennas that operate on both without changing length.
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NTAwWDUwMA==/z/hpoAAOSwpDdVGGba/$_1.JPG

Mudderoy
07-28-2015, 10:27 AM
Screwdriver:

http://www.alpineantenna.com/main/img_1219276336_14843_1220049439_mod_384_426.jpg

Bug Catcher:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/files.qrz.com/s/k7chs/100_4050.JPG

4.3LXJ
07-28-2015, 11:08 AM
Holy smokes, this is getting more complicated. If I ever take this plunge, I am going to have to do some reading. And yes I understand wave, and wave physics, just seems to be so many options in equipment.

prerunner1982
07-28-2015, 11:19 AM
yeah, but it can also be done fairly simply as well. VHF/UHF is easy. It's HF where you have access to a vast majority of frequencies (General and Extra class license) where you want a radio and antenna that can do it all that gets interesting/expensive. It too can still be done pretty simply and still work well as Tony's setup demonstrates, radio, tuner, and 102" whip antenna.

Don't let the complexity of some of this stuff scare you off. VHF/UHF may meet your needs and you wouldn't have to worry about tuners and all the different HF antennas.

"Amateur Radio" contains a wide variety of aspects, Morse Code (yep still used but not required to get your license), voice (AM, FM, Single Side Band), Digital (PSK31, JT65, APRS, etc...), Digital Voice (D-star, DMR, Mototrbo, P25, etc).... you can also bounce signals off the moon or meteor scatter, or talk through repeater satellites in space, or talk with the International Space Station... there are contests and fox hunts, you can build antennas and radios and kits.... and on and on.

OR..... you can use it for local voice communications and be happy with that and that is great as well.

The great thing about Amateur Radio is that there is something for almost anyone.

4.3LXJ
07-28-2015, 12:07 PM
Morse code. Yuk I had to memorize that in the service. Quickly forgotten

Mudderoy
07-28-2015, 01:58 PM
It's fun to talk about the complexity. I like understanding how things work. I remember how fascinating it was to find out that different sized antennas meant they were used for different things. Once you understand this simple principle you can start "seeing" things you never saw before. Like little antennas on what otherwise looks like a standard car now you know it's police, or government.

Now look for hubcaps, or not. Yep, it's the authorities! :D

It's like Jon said though, it can be really simple.

1) Buy $26 handie talkie
2) Look up local repeater freq on Internet, make note of freq split and pl tone
3) Program handie talkie with freq, freq split and pl tone
4) Key up the mic, say your call, and wait for a response.

Now that you can make it work with that repeater, start programming in the others and save them in your handie talkie memories.

If you don't have your license yet, step 1 and step 2 (freq split and pl tone not needed to receive) and you can start listening to the local repeater!

4.3LXJ
07-28-2015, 02:10 PM
At some point, I will go with a CB. The 102" whip has other uses, such as sand dune flags not to mention an LED on top. Looks crazy at night on the dunes. But I think I will start with CB

packmule1911
07-28-2015, 03:02 PM
If you have a 2m and 70cm dual band radio there are antennas that operate on both without changing length.
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NTAwWDUwMA==/z/hpoAAOSwpDdVGGba/$_1.JPG

I bought the Baofeng UV-5R that was recommended. The antenna in the picture looks good.

prerunner1982
07-28-2015, 03:34 PM
it's short and has a very strong magnet.

packmule1911
07-28-2015, 04:34 PM
2) Look up local repeater freq on Internet, make note of freq split and pl tone
3) Program handie talkie with freq, freq split and pl tone
4) Key up the mic, say your call, and wait for a response.

Now that you can make it work with that repeater, start programming in the others and save them in your handie talkie memories.

No license yet, so ....

4) who issues call signs, and what kind of response should I be expecting?

If you don't have your license yet, step 1 and step 2 (freq split and pl tone not needed to receive) and you can start listening to the local repeater!

Listening to what? Never listened to anything in this way. People talking amongst themselves? Commercial radio? Emergency and weather?

prerunner1982
07-28-2015, 04:44 PM
No license yet, so ....

4) who issues call signs, and what kind of response should I be expecting?

The FCC (Federal Communications Commission) issues the call signs. When you take your test it is submitted by the team giving the test. In about 7-10 days your name and call sign will appear in the FCC online database at which time you could operate your radio.

Listening to what? Never listened to anything in this way. People talking amongst themselves? Commercial radio? Emergency and weather?

Generally just conversations from ham to ham, some clubs may have a weekly net to provide info to other area hams, some may have a net to allow hams to sell ham gear, some nets are roundtable where they go around and give everyone a chance to talk about whatever... If there is bad weather there could also be a weather net.

XJ Wheeler
07-28-2015, 06:58 PM
I'm learning so much from other people's questions! :D

Sent via messenger pigeon. I talk, he types.

Mudderoy
07-29-2015, 01:40 AM
I'm learning so much from other people's questions! :D

Sent via messenger pigeon. I talk, he types.

I bet that's true for 99% of the people that visit forums.

Poorboy
07-29-2015, 01:59 AM
My question is, what is the cost associated with obtaining a HAM license?

Mudderoy
07-29-2015, 02:07 AM
My question is, what is the cost associated with obtaining a HAM license?

Boy now days it's damn cheap. Not taking the time into account to study for the test, the cost is less than $40 or more money than you'll ever have.

I think the test costs something like $7 to take, and the radio is $26 currently.

Amazon.com : BaoFeng UV5R Dual-Band Two-Way Radio, Black : Frs Two Way Radios : Electronics@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/511g69P-3ZL.@@AMEPARAM@@511g69P-3ZL

prerunner1982
07-29-2015, 09:41 AM
Test is generally $15 to take.. study guides can be found online for free (I linked to them earlier).

Cost of radios... just depends on how "big" you want to go.

packmule1911
07-31-2015, 10:45 AM
Amazon.com : BaoFeng UV5R Dual-Band Two-Way Radio, Black : Frs Two Way Radios : Electronics (http://www.amazon.com/BaoFeng-UV5R-Dual-Band-Two-Way-Radio/dp/B007H4VT7A/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1438155060&sr=1-2&keywords=baofeng)

My radio arrived yesterday. Charged it overnight and turned it on this morning. Listened to FM radio with it on the way to work. Seems like a nice unit, and the price certainly makes this an affordable trial.

My wife thinks its funny that I'm looking into this. Her Dad's a PhD. in Electrical Engineer and Computer Science. When she was young he'd go to town on various electronic kits and the like. Thankfully, she thinks its also wise to have other ways to communicate beyond cellphones, etc.

packmule1911
09-02-2015, 11:48 AM
Haven't moved forward with the studies for the test yet, but I did download a couple of little study helper apps.

Was checking some pawnshops today and found a Cobra 19 Ultra III, sealed and unused, for $25 out the door. So, I think I'll run both. 4' Firestik off of the passenger rear corner, or maybe a whip. Need something that won't be too in the way when we're loading kayaks on the roof.

BTW, this forum is GREAT!

prerunner1982
09-02-2015, 12:03 PM
With a spring on the whip you can fold/tie the whip over and out of the way. 4' whip would be easier, but 102" whip will perform better.

I know everyone studies differently, but I found it easier to study the material first before taking any practice tests, that way the wrong answers aren't in my head and the right answers stand out easier. If you start out taking practice tests and don't already know the correct answer you get all the answers in your head and then they all look familiar to you.

packmule1911
09-02-2015, 12:19 PM
I know everyone studies differently, but I found it easier to study the material first before taking any practice tests, that way the wrong answers aren't in my head and the right answers stand out easier. If you start out taking practice tests and don't already know the correct answer you get all the answers in your head and then they all look familiar to you.

I like printed material. Slow reader, but still prefer to turn real pages. I downloaded the guide to print out, and the apps to test myself after study, but haven't done any of it yet. Kids, cars, house, work, wedding anniversary, etc. No time. I am still very much looking forward to all of this though.

prerunner1982
09-02-2015, 12:27 PM
I understand.. I did a lot of my studying in the bathroom (home and work), during lunch breaks at work, and while laying in bed before going to sleep.

packmule1911
09-02-2015, 12:36 PM
Is there any problem wiring a CB up to the "Power" plug wiring in my XJ? The plug that's always on. I don't want to run all the way to battery, and this seems like it would be sufficient.

prerunner1982
09-02-2015, 12:47 PM
For a 4 watt CB it is fine. If you get any engine whine though you will want to run power directly to the battery.

packmule1911
09-02-2015, 12:56 PM
If you get any engine whine though you will want to run power directly to the battery.

What route do you folks like to use for running wiring to the battery? Any holes in the firewall conveniently located already?

I'm going to mount the unit on the passenger side or the center console, either horizontally under the glovebox, or on end running parallel to the console facing up at me.

prerunner1982
09-02-2015, 01:05 PM
On the 97+ there is a grommet on the driver side where a large bundle of wires comes through the firewall. The grommet is really easy to get wire through, but is about as far away from the battery you can get. lol.

On my 97 I ran the wiring for my ham radio through the FM radio antenna grommet which is in the A pillar and goes into the fender. It was a pain but it allowed me to run the coax through the grommet on the driver's side since I was mounting the antenna on a fender lip mount on the driver side.

Mudderoy
09-02-2015, 01:54 PM
Haven't moved forward with the studies for the test yet, but I did download a couple of little study helper apps.

Was checking some pawnshops today and found a Cobra 19 Ultra III, sealed and unused, for $25 out the door. So, I think I'll run both. 4' Firestik off of the passenger rear corner, or maybe a whip. Need something that won't be too in the way when we're loading kayaks on the roof.

BTW, this forum is GREAT!

They must have paid $5 for it. They are $37 new.

Amazon.com: COBRA CB MOBILE COMPACT 40CH INST. CH 9 19ULTRAIII: Sports & Outdoors@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/21%2BqME1yscL.@@AMEPARAM@@21%2BqME1yscL

packmule1911
09-02-2015, 01:57 PM
I pointed out the price down the street at Wal-mart, and they said $25 OTD. Works for me, after I confirmed that no one had been inside the box.

packmule1911
09-02-2015, 02:23 PM
I'm going to try a Fire Stik, but which one? FS, FL, or WK? 5/8 wave, but which wattage?

Found a Firefly 4' 5/8 100 watt that I happen to just enough in the PayPal account for. Good choice for the rear passenger side corner?

Mudderoy
09-02-2015, 03:21 PM
I'm going to try a Fire Stik, but which one? FS, FL, or WK? 5/8 wave, but which wattage?

Found a Firefly 4' 5/8 100 watt that I happen to just enough in the PayPal account for. Good choice for the rear passenger side corner?

If you have to put out more than 4 watts, you're doing it wrong.

prerunner1982
09-02-2015, 03:44 PM
The Firestik Firefly is a little bit more flexible. It is what I currently have on my XJ since my 102" whip walked away.

Don't worry about watts, your CB is putting out maybe 4 watts... probably closer to 3+/-.

packmule1911
09-02-2015, 04:09 PM
Thanks about the watts. I didn't know if it mattered, but noticed that there are a variety of wattages to choose from.

Mudderoy
09-02-2015, 04:24 PM
Thanks about the watts. I didn't know if it mattered, but noticed that there are a variety of wattages to choose from.

They just put that on there as a sales gimmick I think. I know some people want to run 100 watts to 300 watts at least. The antenna radiation and transfer of max power are far more important. We all like our little gizmos though, so I won't fault anyone for wanting what they want.

There just isn't that much difference between 100 watts and 300 watts signal wise. There are sooo many people on the CB band that 100 watts is kind of a waste because you won't hear after farther away.

prerunner1982
09-02-2015, 04:33 PM
Whether you are running 100 watts or 1000 watts, if the person you are trying to talk to is only running 4 watts the other 96 watts (or 996 watts) that you are running are useless as you will still have to be within a couple miles of the other person to talk to them.

You know the whole "only as strong as the weakest link".... same thing kind of applies here as well.

Mudderoy
09-02-2015, 04:48 PM
Whether you are running 100 watts or 1000 watts, if the person you are trying to talk to is only running 4 watts the other 96 watts (or 996 watts) that you are running are useless as you will still have to be within a couple miles of the other person to talk to them.

You know the whole "only as strong as the weakest link".... same thing kind of applies here as well.

Listening to the talk over contests with the 2kw amps feeding the 4 element Moonraker antennas were hilarious.

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii92/pat29cl010/DSCF0004.jpg

The REALLY cool people had the Golden Eagle radios with a D104 mic (Gold if you were UBER cool)

Looked inside a Golden Eagle once, mostly empty boxes. lol

http://www.retrocom.com/images/EAGL_1.JPG

jamdeeper
09-02-2015, 09:39 PM
WOOOOW. HAMMMM. MUCH MIND BLOWING. after reading this thread I'm very amused with the depths of ham. But I'm also curious as to where the CB conversation goes. As I have a CB, always thinking they were plug and play and that thing works like garbage. I think I have about 40' of listening distance, and have no clue if anyone can even hear me. Is there adjusting possible with a CB? How?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GoneWithTheWind
09-02-2015, 11:31 PM
WOOOOW. HAMMMM. MUCH MIND BLOWING. after reading this thread I'm very amused with the depths of ham. But I'm also curious as to where the CB conversation goes. As I have a CB, always thinking they were plug and play and that thing works like garbage. I think I have about 40' of listening distance, and have no clue if anyone can even hear me. Is there adjusting possible with a CB? How?

I just went through all of that. Check out cb myths and the other cb threads in the forums. If you don't have an swr meter, you'll need to get one so you can tune your antenna.

Mudderoy
09-02-2015, 11:52 PM
I had an old Cobra 148 (that's all I can remember) and it had a built in SWR meter. Do they not put those in the radios any longer?

GoneWithTheWind
09-02-2015, 11:59 PM
I had an old Cobra 148 (that's all I can remember) and it had a built in SWR meter. Do they not put those in the radios any longer?
I saw one in a high end cb, around $200.

prerunner1982
09-03-2015, 07:25 AM

Though CBs generally aren't long distance talkers you should be able to get a couple miles even with a short poorly placed antenna.

If all equipment was new when installed I would suspect that the mount has a poor clean metal to metal contact with the body. Is the antenna mount you used painted? If so did you clean the paint off where the mount meets the body and the underside of where the antenna mounts?

jamdeeper
09-03-2015, 09:45 AM
Though CBs generally aren't long distance talkers you should be able to get a couple miles even with a short poorly placed antenna.

If all equipment was new when installed I would suspect that the mount has a poor clean metal to metal contact with the body. Is the antenna mount you used painted? If so did you clean the paint off where the mount meets the body and the underside of where the antenna mounts?

I snatched up the cobra from a neighbors junker Chevy that sat in his back yard. I bought new everything else. The only thing that doesn't work and the CB is the backlight on the "meter" (not sure if it's what you guys are talking about). I have it mounted passenger rear on the taillight bolt. Obviously it's painted behind there. But it's In between the taillight housing and the body. The mount is not painted. I just went to a truck stop and picked the items up.

The CB is a cobra nw ltd classic. Powered by a cigarette lighter universal plug.

None of this even crossed my mind. I'd be stoked to get this thing working good.

prerunner1982
09-03-2015, 10:06 AM
I would hook a SWR meter up to it. If you need help with that let us know.

If the SWR checks out good I would look to the radio as possibly being the issue.

jamdeeper
09-03-2015, 10:33 AM
What would I read on a meter? Here is my CB. http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/09/03/b8eb6023710ee4df2a5cb784a301121a.jpg

Is that the meter?

prerunner1982
09-03-2015, 10:48 AM
Yes that is a SWR meter, typically regarded as not being quite as accurate as an external meter but should give you a good general idea.

The top left switch, set to CAL (Calibrate). Set CB to Channel 1, key mic and turn the CAL knob (small knob on far right) until the needle in the meter just kisses the far right edge of the scale. Move switch to SWR and it should give you a reading. The lower the better.

Do this for Channel 40 as well.

If you get a reading over 3 there is something wrong with your system. Could be bad coax, poor antenna mount to body connection, etc.

If you have lower numbers 1.5 to 2.5ish your antenna likely just needs to be tuned. How the antenna is tuned depends on the antenna you have. Some have a rubber cap on top that has an adjustment screw underneath, some require cutting.

If your reading on channel 1 is higher than on channel 40 your antenna is too short.
If your reading on channel 1 is lower than on channel 40 your antenna is too long.

I believe the top scale on the meter in the radio is for SWR.

jamdeeper
09-03-2015, 10:58 AM
Yes that is a SWR meter, typically regarded as not being quite as accurate as an external meter but should give you a good general idea.

The top left switch, set to CAL (Calibrate). Set CB to Channel 1, key mic and turn the CAL knob (small knob on far right) until the needle in the meter just kisses the far right edge of the scale. Move switch to SWR and it should give you a reading. The lower the better.

If you get a reading over 3 there is something wrong with your system. Could be bad coax, poor antenna mount to body connection, etc.

If you have lower numbers 1.5 to 2.5ish your antenna likely just needs to be tuned. How the antenna is tuned depends on the antenna you have. Some have a rubber cap on top that has an adjustment screw underneath.

If your reading on channel 1 is higher than on channel 40 your antenna is too short.
If your reading on channel 1 is lower than on channel 40 your antenna is too long.

Awesome! I'll have to give it a try! Awesome info!

Mudderoy
09-03-2015, 12:53 PM

If you have lower numbers 1.5 to 2.5ish your antenna likely just needs to be tuned. How the antenna is tuned depends on the antenna you have. Some have a rubber cap on top that has an adjustment screw underneath, some require cutting.

And if you can't get the CAL to the level Jon mention you may have bad final transistors.

Mudderoy
09-03-2015, 12:54 PM
I highly recommend an SWR Watt meter.

jamdeeper
09-03-2015, 01:07 PM
I highly recommend an SWR Watt meter.

I'll definitely try something out. I wish there was a way to KNOW it's working... Just try and talk to truckers? Ha like I said, in April on the Moab trails, I could only hear the 2 jeeps in front and behind me. Unless we got too separated. But I don't know if they can hear me. I guess I'll have to find someone else who had s one. To test it.

Mudderoy
09-03-2015, 01:13 PM
:wow: this is cheaper than the Radio Shack meter I bought 20 years ago!

Amazon.com: ASTATIC PDC1 CB / HAM RADIO 10/100 WATT SWR / RF METER: Sports & Outdoors@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41g4qMrWTpL.@@AMEPARAM@@41g4qMrWTpL

$15.99 with free (NON-Prime) shipping!

prerunner1982
09-03-2015, 01:44 PM
With Prime shipping.. Amazon.com: Astatic PDC1 100 Watt SWR Meter: Automotive@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41p9PCAVIpL.@@AMEPARAM@@41p9PCAVIpL

Mudderoy
09-03-2015, 03:35 PM
With Prime shipping.. Amazon.com: Astatic PDC1 100 Watt SWR Meter: Automotive (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004ULN610?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00)

Price: $15.99 & FREE Shipping on orders over $35.

jamdeeper
09-03-2015, 04:39 PM
Price: $15.99 & FREE Shipping on orders over $35.

Maybe I'll buy 3 of them. Just for free shipping. ?? Ha ha

packmule1911
09-08-2015, 01:24 PM
For a 4 watt CB it is fine. If you get any engine whine though you will want to run power directly to the battery.

What is the method folks like to splice in to get power from the accessory plug? A guy at the auto parts store said to find an empty slot in the interior fuse panel.

Mudderoy
09-08-2015, 02:28 PM
What is the method folks like to splice in to get power from the accessory plug? A guy at the auto parts store said to find an empty slot in the interior fuse panel.

I run wire to the battery.

packmule1911
09-08-2015, 09:14 PM
I'll ha e to figure out the gauge and get more wire to get that far. Not much length on what's coming off of the radio.

What I really wish I could do is take that giant radio out of the dash, and put a cb there with a reasonable sized radio. Someday maybe.

prerunner1982
09-09-2015, 10:03 AM
You can run it to an acc port on the fusebox or use a cig lighter adapter. As far as powering the radio it works fine. You may get some engine noise though (high pitch whine) in which case you would want to run the wiring directly to the battery.

My ham radio though is wired directly to the battery, it pulls far more amps than the CB does.

Mudderoy
09-09-2015, 10:54 AM
You can run it to an acc port on the fusebox or use a cig lighter adapter. As far as powering the radio it works fine. You may get some engine noise though (high pitch whine) in which case you would want to run the wiring directly to the battery.

My ham radio though is wired directly to the battery, it pulls far more amps than the CB does.

I've seen more than one CB lights dim when transmitting via local power connections.

prerunner1982
09-09-2015, 03:25 PM
Perhaps one that had been tweaked, peaked, and frequed.... but have never had a 4+/- watt CB dim anything when transmitting.

Mudderoy
09-09-2015, 04:55 PM
Perhaps one that had been tweaked, peaked, and frequed.... but have never had a 4+/- watt CB dim anything when transmitting.

Interesting. I wonder if it has to do with when we experienced it. Mine was probably 20 years ago.

packmule1911
09-26-2015, 10:43 PM
Finally got my stuff wired up.

For the location I went with the passenger tail light. For a mount I bought a $1.25 u-bolt bracket, heated it up nice and hot, twisted it, drilled the holes to mount it, and it's all done. I admit I am awfully proud of myself.

To add some stability to the location, I used machine screws with locking washers and nuts on the inside of the body.

The 4x4 parts place nearby said to "Go to CarQuest next door and ask for Smitty. He is crazy about all that kind of stuff, and tunes all of our customers antenna's."

I'll go see Smitty on Monday.

packmule1911
09-27-2015, 10:06 PM
Forgot pictures of my bracket:

nc00xj
09-29-2015, 07:29 AM
hey ya'll, mew here. was in the same dilemma with deciding where to mount anything ut finally got everything sorted out. heres some pictures. the antenna mount, while yes i had to drill some holes in the hatch, i think is the most idea spot because it doesnt get caught by branches at all and gives me a nice ground and gives me good clearance above the roof line

nc00xj
09-29-2015, 07:31 AM
not sure how to be able to get more than one picture per post but heres the cb mounted

nc00xj
09-29-2015, 07:35 AM
and of course, my "competition use only" 2-pill linear for when you gotta talk a litte farther or someone needs to be stepped on:D:

prerunner1982
09-29-2015, 07:40 AM
i think is the most idea spot because it doesnt get caught by branches at all and gives me a nice ground and gives me good clearance above the roof line

Welcome.

It gives a better ground plane than say the tire carrier or tailgate like most Wrangler owners use, but the body of the XJ would provide a better ground plane. Due to the wavelength of the CB frequencies even the entire XJ body is only marginally adequate. Now a 2 meter ham radio antenna on the other hand requires about 38" of metal for a ground plane vs 216" for CB.... a 1/4 wave 2 m antenna is also only 19" vs 108" for CB.

For others that may think about mounting their CB antenna to their rear hatch, it only works on the 97+ models as they have a metal hatch, pre 97 models have a fiberglass hatch.

nc00xj
09-29-2015, 07:52 AM
Thanks for that clarification! Definitely don't want to lead others in the wrong direction! I also put a 10ga wire ground between the mount bolt and the body just incase the hatch wasn't grounded well.

With my linear running, in a small valley surrounded by power lines I was still getting 15 mile range! And it was loud and clear on the other end!

packmule1911
09-29-2015, 07:58 AM
Here's what I ended up with on the inside.

packmule1911
09-29-2015, 11:10 AM
Neglected to ask a few last questions:

1. Will painting the bracket cause a problem with conductivity?
2. Should I use some dielectric grease for the antenna connection?
3. What about some grease on the spring to combat rust?

Anything else too do?

nc00xj
09-29-2015, 12:42 PM
If you use dielectric grease, only put a small amount on the male threads to keep water out of the connection. Do not just slather it on because the it will short out. If you look at the connection the center pin is actually insulated from the outer shield. If you cover it all with dielectric grease then the insulation doesn't work it shorts out. Painting the bracket should be fine as long as the mount has good bare metal to metal contact with the car and the antenna.

Mudderoy
09-29-2015, 01:32 PM
Forgot pictures of my bracket:

If you don't mind a suggestion...

I'd make that longer (more tie down points behind the light) so it can handle the up and down torque better.

prerunner1982
09-29-2015, 02:53 PM
Bill paint the mount, but leave where it touches the body of the Jeep and the underside of where the antenna mounts bare.

packmule1911
09-29-2015, 03:41 PM
Bill paint the mount, but leave where it touches the body of the Jeep and the underside of where the antenna mounts bare.

Got it. That's what I thought.

packmule1911
09-29-2015, 03:44 PM
If you don't mind a suggestion...

I'd make that longer (more tie down points behind the light) so it can handle the up and down torque better.

Don't mind at all. My goal was to get it on there, and not spend any money on it right now. I've seen the versions that travel across the top of the light, and down the inner edge. I'm not planning to go that far, but I would like to make another version that at least travels past the top light assembly bolt, and run it over the light assembly rather than behind it. I've got many cracks in the lip of the assembly and if I torque it with something behind, it cracks more.

Thanks.