PDA

View Full Version : project delema ??

jonesy
11-08-2009, 05:32 PM
Hey all
ive got a bit of a delma here. on the next project for the heep.. im sitting on 4.5 rustys that constist of 4.5 springs and 1.75 spacer up front ( spacer for the sag i got from the winch) 3in leafs with a 1.5 shackle out back.. on 31's
truxsis mt's
1 thing i was thinking was long arms . this would be a really nice upgrade
2 regear .im really debating this id like to go 4:56 if i might want to go with 33's later but thats a bit much for 31's or will this be pretty good .? i do drive on the street also..
3 with the regear a couple or just one aussie locker out back. 8.25 rearend
not really sure how i should go about this ive never done a regear .what would be the wiser choice or bigger bang for the buck out right?what would you guys do ?

4.3LXJ
11-08-2009, 07:00 PM
I suppose that depends on your personal philosophy. My philosophy is to get everything working as smooth as factory before I go on. With that in mind, I would go for the long arms and dial in my suspension, shocks, shims etc before doing anything else.

On the other hand, there are many here that would go for the lockers and gears first. Gear swap in a Spicer and Chrysler rear end will not be cheap, so take care of the locker while your at it. The long arms will be cheaper.

Voldemort
11-08-2009, 07:52 PM
Well if you already have a lift than I would do the re-gear and locker before I upgraded to the long arms.

jonesy
11-08-2009, 09:43 PM
you both have given your opinions with very good resons and i thank you both ..But im sitting with a 6.25 lift in the front minus alittle sag from the winch . i feel im pushing it .so both ways would be a huge upgrade .i just need to figure out what would be better at this point .my real goal here is a all around cherokee .great flex and power to the ground. that would be a decent trail rig with on road manners .
bigbad . what would be your choice of gears? like i said im on 31's but would like the option maybe for 33's .thats why i was talking 4:56 .but how would those be with 31's?
thanks again

Mudderoy
11-08-2009, 10:41 PM
Get the 33" tires. 3.55 gears isn't that bad.

Save up and buy the 4.56 gears, and lockers ($2100?)

Save up another $700 to have them installed.

You need to consider what you are going to do about your Dana 30 axles though. I'm looking at the ARB air locker 30 spline with chrome molly axles for my D30. It's a ways down the road though.

jonesy
11-09-2009, 01:00 AM
$2100 sound close .i think i can install them myself .if not i can recruit a buddy that knows howto install..for the front i was looking at the ox locker .no air needed on this one. i have some time to still decide how this going to go . thanks again everyone for the advice.

Mudderoy
11-09-2009, 01:06 AM
$2100 sound close .i think i can install them myself .if not i can recruit a buddy that knows howto install..for the front i was looking at the ox locker .no air needed on this one. i have some time to still decide how this going to go . thanks again everyone for the advice.

Keep us updated to the progress. Take pictures, even if you don't share them with us. :shocker:

Voldemort
11-09-2009, 01:19 AM
you both have given your opinions with very good resons and i thank you both ..But im sitting with a 6.25 lift in the front minus alittle sag from the winch . i feel im pushing it .so both ways would be a huge upgrade .i just need to figure out what would be better at this point .my real goal here is a all around cherokee .great flex and power to the ground. that would be a decent trail rig with on road manners .
bigbad . what would be your choice of gears? like i said im on 31's but would like the option maybe for 33's .thats why i was talking 4:56 .but how would those be with 31's?
thanks again

I would go 4.88(yes they do make them), just cause if you are going to do it why limit yourself to 33"s? But I would at least get some 33"s first like muddy said and ride them on 3.55's for awhile. Also which rear axle do you have? 27 spline or 29? If it is a 29 then go ahead on upgrade it. Get a lunch box out back and a selectable up front. If you are low on funds like me then I would get the rear locker and front and rear gears done then save for a good selectable front locker. I put up a write up on here on how to do 8.25 gears, doing them yourself will save money but if you have never done them than defiantly get some one who has to help. Good Luck.

Mudderoy
11-09-2009, 01:26 AM
I would go 4.88(yes they do make them), just cause if you are going to do it why limit yourself to 33"s? But I would at least get some 33"s first like muddy said and ride them on 3.55's for awhile. Also which rear axle do you have? 27 spline or 29? If it is a 29 then go ahead on upgrade it. Get a lunch box out back and a selectable up front. If you are low on funds like me then I would get the rear locker and front and rear gears done then save for a good selectable front locker. I put up a write up on here on how to do 8.25 gears, doing them yourself will save money but if you have never done them than defiantly get some one who has to help. Good Luck.

The 97+(?) Chry 8.25 is a 29 spline. It's a solid axle. "C" clips and rotating pumpkin are the only problems I have read about. A truss fixes the spinning pumpkin, and Dana 35 disc brake conversion will at least keep the axle from sliding out when you loose the "C" clip. Based on how my 98 runs with 4.56 on 32" tires, I wouldn't go 4.88 unless it was a trail only rig, just driven around town. Now 35" tires it should be fine, but then you probably wouldn't want to be running a D30 and Chry 8.25 with lockers.

I am considering getting a lunch box locker for the rear, then later when I have the cash to go with the ARB air lockers front and rear, I'll just sell the lunch box locker.

Voldemort
11-09-2009, 01:38 AM
The 97+(?) Chry 8.25 is a 29 spline. It's a solid axle. "C" clips and rotating pumpkin are the only problems I have read about. A truss fixes the spinning pumpkin, and Dana 35 disc brake conversion will at least keep the axle from sliding out when you loose the "C" clip. Based on how my 98 runs with 4.56 on 32" tires, I wouldn't go 4.88 unless it was a trail only rig, just driven around town. Now 35" tires it should be fine, but then you probably wouldn't want to be running a D30 and Chry 8.25 with lockers.

I am considering getting a lunch box locker for the rear, then later when I have the cash to go with the ARB air lockers front and rear, I'll just sell the lunch box locker.

I'm sorry I did not see that he had a '97+. But I wheel with guys that have lunchbox rear lockers and 4.56 and 4.88 gears and 35's and have no problems(except for the usual problems with any rig that you take offroad). But I personality am going to run 33"x13.5 for awhile then go to 35"s with 4.88's and a rear lunchbox, but I am going to build a offroad only rig and the axles will be first to go.

Mudderoy
11-09-2009, 02:31 AM
I'm sorry I did not see that he had a '97+. But I wheel with guys that have lunchbox rear lockers and 4.56 and 4.88 gears and 35's and have no problems(except for the usual problems with any rig that you take offroad). But I personality am going to run 33"x13.5 for awhile then go to 35"s with 4.88's and a rear lunchbox, but I am going to build a offroad only rig and the axles will be first to go.

Well you know I've learned from reading stuff, and I just regurgitate it. I'd love to find out that I can run 35" tires on a D30 and C8.25 locked without having to upgrade the axles.

I do know about the 4.56 from experience though. I think the 4.56 would be very nice with the 35's. I'm still concerned about braking the beast though. I think that D35 disc brake upgrade might solve that problem though.

Voldemort
11-09-2009, 02:53 AM
Well you know I've learned from reading stuff, and I just regurgitate it. I'd love to find out that I can run 35" tires on a D30 and C8.25 locked without having to upgrade the axles.

I do know about the 4.56 from experience though. I think the 4.56 would be very nice with the 35's. I'm still concerned about braking the beast though. I think that D35 disc brake upgrade might solve that problem though.

I am not trying to put you down or dis respect you. I am just one that likes to see other mods before I do them on my own rig. The 4.56 gears are very adequate for 33"s and probably 35"s also, I just know if I was to go the safe route I would always wonder what if? That is why I want the 4.88's. I have one buddy with them in 8.25 and D30 with a Powertrax No-Slip and he runs 35's. He has since upgraded his D30 axle shafts and replace a few u-joints but other than that he has done well. As for brakes I have a double diaphragm booster out of a '98 with the master cylinder, I just have to get the ZJ rear disks and it should be good (I hope).:thumbsup:

Mudderoy
11-09-2009, 02:57 AM
I am not trying to put you down or dis respect you. I am just one that likes to see other mods before I do them on my own rig. The 4.56 gears are very adequate for 33"s and probably 35"s also, I just know if I was to go the safe route I would always wonder what if? That is why I want the 4.88's. I have one buddy with them in 8.25 and D30 with a Powertrax No-Slip and he runs 35's. He has since upgraded his D30 axle shafts and replace a few u-joints but other than that he has done well. As for brakes I have a double diaphragm booster out of a '98 with the master cylinder, I just have to get the ZJ rear disks and it should be good (I hope).:thumbsup:

No I didn't take it that way at all. I just sound like I know what I'm talking about (or try to) so I like to throw in a disclaimer in there from time to time. :smiley-laughing021:

I may still do the 35s. As much off roading as I do (sadly) I'll never break anything except the occasional sweat. (Maybe I can regulate the damage with the skinny petal until I get some replacement D30 axles)

BlueXJ
11-09-2009, 07:21 AM
Great opinions so far. Be sure to let us know what you decide.

Logans91XJ
11-10-2009, 12:37 AM
honestly you don't need to go to 4.56's with 33's

I think 4.11 would be plenty but thats just my .02

I look at building a jeep like this you can put the biggest lift on you want but if you can't get traction then you have nothing...! What is tires and a lift going to do if you don't have both tires giving your jeep traction...

One reason why the Rubicon Wrangler does so well, it's locked front and rear! Yeah the 4:1 transfer case is sweet but honestly with out lockers a Jeep is just a 2WD soccer mom SUV

4.3LXJ
11-10-2009, 12:54 AM

I look at building a jeep like this you can put the biggest lift on you want but if you can't get traction then you have nothing...! What is tires and a lift going to do if you don't have both tires giving your jeep traction...

One reason why the Rubicon Wrangler does so well, it's locked front and rear! Yeah the 4:1 transfer case is sweet but honestly with out lockers a Jeep is just a 2WD soccer mom SUV

My Jeep feels insulted:sad0147:

Voldemort
11-10-2009, 01:58 AM

I do not know about the soccer mom thing:thumbdown:, but you can find some I4's with axles with 4.10 gears already installed if you are going to do 4.10 then that would be the best way to go. I just think it is to much work to do if you are not going to go balls out.2 cents

jonesy
11-10-2009, 01:58 AM

i believe its a 29 slpine .its a 99 sport .i think i dont want to go bigger than a 35 in tire . 33's is what i was thinking would work best for this build ,its mainly a recreational ride .that tend to drive more than our dd lol..
i will also have some plans ater for a offroad trailer .. once i get the jeep where i want it..

Voldemort
11-10-2009, 02:02 AM
i believe its a 29 slpine .its a 99 sport .i think i dont want to go bigger than a 35 in tire . 33's is what i was thinking would work best for this build ,its mainly a recreational ride .that tend to drive more than our dd lol..
i will also have some plans ater for a offroad trailer .. once i get the jeep where i want it..

sounds nice! Whatever you want to do is what matters the most, just make sure you take pics:camera: and have a good time building it!:D

jonesy
11-10-2009, 02:08 AM
always and thanks guys for the advice once again .. ill just have to sit down and weigh it all out .and go from there .lots of great opinions here ..

jeepperu
11-12-2009, 08:36 PM
Get the 33" tires. 3.55 gears isn't that bad.

Save up and buy the 4.56 gears, and lockers ($2100?)

Save up another $700 to have them installed.

You need to consider what you are going to do about your Dana 30 axles though. I'm looking at the ARB air locker 30 spline with chrome molly axles for my D30. It's a ways down the road though.

X2

Lockers rules :smiley-scared002:

TheWeiss
11-13-2009, 02:25 PM
Can someone tell me what a Lunch box locker is? I read the term but am Unfamiliar

4.3LXJ
11-13-2009, 06:02 PM
That is the cheapest version of an automatic locker. It is also the easiest to install. It utilizes the stock carrier, and replaces the spyder gears in the differential. Most people have the skills and tools to do the install. The rear end does not need to be set up with a dial indicator again. With a full locker, it replaces the carrier and needs more set up, generally by a professional.

AJ99
11-13-2009, 06:21 PM
if you are looking into the lunch box look at aussie. (also called ratcheting) The aussie is one of the cheapiest and is a really good locker! I run one in my 44

mizedog
11-16-2009, 02:12 PM
Jonesy, if you're in Central KS, are you mostly dealing with flat land and interstate? Or, do you drive distances to get to the big hills/mountains like out west? If you're dealing with I-70 from town to town and want to do 80mph, that 4.56s will be ok, but 4.11s may be better. I'm guessing you experience some short, smooth dirt hills while offroading and not that may 2' tall rocks to crawl. There's nothing wrong with that and it can be fun. But, I unless you're towing heavy, crawling rocks, or driving up long tall hills, low, low gearing isn't needed. I drive for 6 months with 3.55s and 32s. It was fine for around town and I could do the highway without problems - and I'm at 7000 feet. If you're below 4000 feet in elevation you you'd have much more power than me. Consider where you drive too. Good luck.

cheap jeep
11-16-2009, 03:16 PM
Where can I buy a lunchbox locker,and an idea of cost?

jonesy
11-17-2009, 01:53 AM
Jonesy, if you're in Central KS, are you mostly dealing with flat land and interstate? Or, do you drive distances to get to the big hills/mountains like out west? If you're dealing with I-70 from town to town and want to do 80mph, that 4.56s will be ok, but 4.11s may be better. I'm guessing you experience some short, smooth dirt hills while offroading and not that may 2' tall rocks to crawl. There's nothing wrong with that and it can be fun. But, I unless you're towing heavy, crawling rocks, or driving up long tall hills, low, low gearing isn't needed. I drive for 6 months with 3.55s and 32s. It was fine for around town and I could do the highway without problems - and I'm at 7000 feet. If you're below 4000 feet in elevation you you'd have much more power than me. Consider where you drive too. Good luck.

thanks for the post .sounds like you know how it is out here . and i do see your points .i do drive the heep quite a bit but it is by no means a dd . and although we do have a couple orv parks out here none real close .i am right on the arkansas river .thats almost dry btw out here .so for a quick trip its to the river . sand /dirt mostly . but i would very much like some mild rocks . as far as the jeep goes ,no i-70 for this thing it will be trailered .but for short camping trips and fishing .but no long trips.but also after thinking this over a bit i think ill be keeping the gears for now and going with some long arms and a locker or lockers . steering. then ill focus on armor . if the funds work out ..there is a pretty good group here in town that take trips .i have yet to go with them .but evenually id like to run 33's ..
thanks for the post all .. great advice and def got my gears in my head turning