PDA

View Full Version : Downieville, CA wheeling and historical tour

4.3LXJ
06-24-2015, 02:34 PM
Nestled in the Northern Sierra Nevada mountains is the historic town of Downieville, CA. While not the only old mining town in the area, this town caters to tourism. It is a great town to walk around. Local lodging is available if you need it. We will be staying in a Forsest Service campground at Gold Lake. If you want, bring your boat, there is a ramp there. We will mix history and wheeling days, just to break it up. There is a lot of wheeling in this area. Here is a link to the wheeling available on the Tahoe National Forest. The trails we will visit will be as many as possible in the Gold Lake Rd and Hwy 49 areas.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/tahoe/recreation/ohv/?recid=55444&actid=93

There will be wheeling for everyone. Most of the trails would be rated on as a 2 or three on a scale of one to five. Snake lake is around a 4. We will also be going to some "diggins" where you can encounter a little of everything, from mud to large rocks. Also on the itinerary will be numerous old mines and exploration for artifacts, two museums and the town of Sierra City and Johnstown. All of these towns are steeped in history. Might have to hit town for some pizza and touristy shopping too. We will be eating on the trail most days, so you will need to be prepared to carry food and water. We discourage drinking while driving. It doesn't make for good decisions off road. Drink later in camp or town. Minimum altitude is around 5400" and maximum is 8600'. And we plan on climbing that much in one afternoon when we go to Sierra Buttes for a view you probably cannot get anywhere else. Make sure your cooling systems are up to it. You can contact me on this forum if interested

4.3LXJ
06-26-2015, 03:53 PM
I guess I should have told you when it was. :D

Aug 7 - 15 2015

XJ Wheeler
06-26-2015, 06:48 PM
Sounds perfect, wish we were there!

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

4.3LXJ
06-26-2015, 06:53 PM
It is only a couple of thousand miles ……..

XJ Wheeler
06-26-2015, 07:22 PM
It is only a couple of thousand miles ……..

...only...

4.3LXJ
06-26-2015, 08:09 PM
Only a couple of tanks of gas ……………………...

XJ Wheeler
06-26-2015, 09:24 PM
Only a couple of tanks of gas ……………………...

9 miles per gallon Steve... Couple dozen tanks. :rolleyes:

Carves
06-26-2015, 10:02 PM
Sounds like it will be a great week. Make sure you take lots of pics .. :thumbsup:

Dunno about that 5400' - 8600' height business tho ?? ... It would most probably, have me and the XJ on our backs, wheezing and gasping for air,

... as I dont think our domestic airline services even get that high down here .. :D

9mpg XJWheeler ?? .. :shocker:

XJ Wheeler
06-26-2015, 10:13 PM
9mpg XJWheeler ?? .. :shocker:

Yeah, i gotta do some engine work. One of the reasons i'm stockpiling parts to hopefully bolt on some hp and mpgs and freshen things up a bit.

Oh, and that's on premium. :rolleye0012:

4.3LXJ
06-26-2015, 11:23 PM
Sounds like it will be a great week. Make sure you take lots of pics .. :thumbsup:

Dunno about that 5400' - 8600' height business tho ?? ... It would most probably, have me and the XJ on our backs, wheezing and gasping for air,

... as I dont think our domestic airline services even get that high down here .. :D

If I toss a paper airplane from there, maybe I could get it at least as far as Hawaii. With a tail wind maybe all the way to Aussie.

4.3LXJ
07-12-2015, 05:21 PM
Went to scout out the campgrounds yesterday. There is some confusion in the gov. info. There are two campgrounds at Gold Lake. The Gold Lake campground was full, so if you want to join me overnight, I suggest a reservation. We will be making ours tomorrow. The fee is $10 per night. There is an official Gold Lake 4X4 campground, but you will have to wheel into it. Definite class three road as far as we walked it. It is a free campground however, no reservations available. Has a vault toilet, no tables though. First come first serve. Also if you are an old fart like me, you can get in for half price to this campground. Otherwise, we would opt for the free one :D PM me for more details if you want to come for the day or longer.

4.3LXJ
08-04-2015, 11:15 PM
We will be leaving tomorrow for around ten days. See you a week from Monday