PDA

View Full Version : '95 GC Laredo - what to look out for

packmule1911
05-28-2015, 10:36 AM
Acquiring a '95 Laredo through a family member's estate. My son is 16, and I figured it would be a good choice to acquire (free vehicle, some repairs) for him to use if he follows the rules. Same engine as my XJ which will provide some economies of scale on the repair learning curve.

My wife is up in the mountains fetching it with my daughter, and while driving around town, the water pump blew. It's been sitting for 4 years. Her parents covered the initial assessments batch of repairs (exhaust manifold, axle bearing, state inspection, small stuff). We were advised that water pump gaskets go when a car sits that long, and it's been fixed and is being driven around town all day today. OK. No problem. But .....

The plan is for my wife to drive it back home tomorrow (4 hours). Not too keen on her and my 9 year old daughter breaking down, but a new car can break down too.

We were hoping to get an idea on what might be faced near-term, and long-term. I assume the same things that impact the i6 engine. What else? Thanks.

Mudderoy
05-28-2015, 10:48 AM
Acquiring a '95 Laredo through a family member's estate. My son is 16, and I figured it would be a good choice to acquire (free vehicle, some repairs) for him to use if he follows the rules. Same engine as my XJ which will provide some economies of scale on the repair learning curve.

My wife is up in the mountains fetching it with my daughter, and while driving around town, the water pump blew. It's been sitting for 4 years. Her parents covered the initial assessments batch of repairs (exhaust manifold, axle bearing, state inspection, small stuff). We were advised that water pump gaskets go when a car sits that long, and it's been fixed and is being driven around town all day today. OK. No problem. But .....

The plan is for my wife to drive it back home tomorrow (4 hours). Not too keen on her and my 9 year old daughter breaking down, but a new car can break down too.

We were hoping to get an idea on what might be faced near-term, and long-term. I assume the same things that impact the i6 engine. What else? Thanks.

A few years ago the neighbors were given a 98 (I think) Grand for one of their kids to drive. Very nice looking vehicle, well taken care of at least externally. I believe they drove it a couple of years, then it sat in the driveway for at least 6 months. Transmission failed.

I believe they gave it back to the relative that had given it to them. Just couldn't afford the $1000 transmission repair.

packmule1911
05-28-2015, 10:51 AM
A few years ago the neighbors were given a 98 (I think) Grand for one of their kids to drive. Very nice looking vehicle, well taken care of at least externally. I believe they drove it a couple of years, then it sat in the driveway for at least 6 months. Transmission failed.

I believe they gave it back to the relative that had given it to them. Just couldn't afford the $1000 transmission repair.

Yeah, if something that big happens we'd likely make a decision to sell it off, after I robbed it of applicable parts for my XJ.

4.3LXJ
05-28-2015, 11:02 AM
I think in light of what Tony posted, one thing to do quickly is service the transmission. They are not as durable as the AW4

XJ Wheeler
05-28-2015, 03:08 PM
Way back in '96 my mom bought a '93 Grand Cherokee Laredo with the 4.0l and 70k miles. It now has 258k and sets for months at a time but cranks right up no problem. Its had its issues for sure but most of those are due to the errors of mechanics including dealerships (and the reason i try to do all my own work now). Its only drivetrain component that's been rebuilt was the rear axle but again that was due to bonehead mechanics.

Taken care of they can last almost as long as XJs. With most of the usual problems to deal with. The fuel pump was the only issue we had to replace several times.

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

packmule1911
05-28-2015, 03:12 PM
Are things like death wobble, and #3 injector fuel lock common? I assume that all things 4.0L i6 are likely.

4.3LXJ
05-28-2015, 03:17 PM
Death wobble yes, fuel problems only generally on the 00 and up

XJ Wheeler
05-28-2015, 03:19 PM
Its more equivalent with the 4.0 of the same era (95-96) in the xj. You get a better mechanical fan and radiator setup but no electric fan as the moved the mechanical fan to the center.

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

packmule1911
05-28-2015, 03:21 PM
Death wobble yes

Does this present itself suddenly, or does it begin and worsen gradually? I REALLY don't want Mrs. Pack Mule and daughter to experience that.

The tech has driven it on the highway, so I'm hoping if it's not there now, it won't be within the next 250 miles while they're driving it home.

4.3LXJ
05-28-2015, 03:31 PM
It is probably OK. It shows up easier on lifted rigs. You can drive it over a bump where both wheels hit at the same time. If it doesn't happen then, no worries

packmule1911
05-28-2015, 03:53 PM
It wasn't driven hard I don't think. The uncle who owned it would not have worked it hard, and he was the only other owner. He did wreck it, due to things that could have and should have been avoided, but other than that we're likely facing neglect items more so that abuse. Although I guess neglect is abuse. Oh well. Not complaining. It's providence how it came along to us.

packmule1911
05-30-2015, 11:29 AM
They made it home without issue.
This thing smells horrible. Nothing like sitting around for 4 years or so to ripen things up a bit.

We've got mildew everywhere, a lot of rotten weather stripping around the doors, and the headliner center ceiling unit are falling down. If I can get the plastic unit to 1. Work as 2. Reattach, the liner might be ok with a few shots of contact adhesive.

XJ Wheeler
05-30-2015, 07:38 PM
The problem with the headliners is the foam between the fabric and headliner board deteriorates and makes it next to impossible to reattach. But its not too bad to pull down and put some new fabric on. Hoping to do that myself in the coming weeks.

packmule1911
07-17-2015, 08:35 AM
So far the only repair we've had to deal with since getting it home is to replace the cap, rotor, coil, and crank case censor. Might not have needed it all, but it couldn't hurt. Wires will get done eventually.

We have water getting in and accumulating on the passenger side floors. The plastic cowl below the windshield has a section that is bowed out, and I image that's where it's coming from. That's likely why it smells so damn bad; several years of rain and standing water. I'm just going to run some silicone around where the windshield and cowl meet. I did check to see if the a/c condensation drain fix has been done, and it has, so I'm thinking leak.

None of the dome lighting works, nor does the trip computer in the ceiling, which is disappointing. Someone has been in it before, and didn't reattach it properly. Same with some of the doors. The electric windows seem very strained when rolling up, and I expect someone's been in there too since the door panels are all floppy and poorly attached.

Nothing against my wife's extended family who had this vehicle, but dang, they really could have put it back to rights when they monkeyed with it. These folks are the guys who build little rental homes, not exactly to code. Great folks, but live like the corners are actually there TO be cut.

abebehrmann
07-17-2015, 09:46 AM
. Great folks, but live like the corners are actually there TO be cut.

Hahahahaha, that is a good description. I know a few people like that.

autotech98
07-17-2015, 03:50 PM
My moms is a 95 GC Laredo. Sits for weels at a time. No issues just go over everything to be sure

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547

packmule1911
07-22-2015, 02:13 PM
Got to open up the A/C drain plug last night. Thankfully someone cut open the frame that hides the firewall side of the drain tube.

I think about a half gallon of water drained out.

denverd1
07-22-2015, 03:28 PM
If it sat that long, makes ya wonder if the heater core isn't causing some issues. water level stay full?

packmule1911
07-22-2015, 03:43 PM
If it sat that long, makes ya wonder if the heater core isn't causing some issues. water level stay full?

Water level is maintaining as expected. No coolant smell. It wasn't draining and was dumping water out of the box, and sloshing around in the turns.

I took the plug out, which had been modified with the typical fix, fished a coat hanger up into the box, blew water and stuff out with compressed air, and collected as much water as I could.

My son is driving it, and he's been told to lay off the A/C until after a nice thunderstorm, so I can rule out that kind of leak. A lot of the weather stripping along the top of the doors is eaten up as well, but the door jambs are staying dry.

packmule1911
09-11-2015, 02:05 PM
I picked up a set of plain steel 15's that I want to use for my XJ and some bigger tires. My son's ZJ has wheels were pretty ugly versions, so I decided to up his cool factor a bit by giving him my 16" Jeep Icon wheels.

One of the lugs had seemingly welded itself to the wheel and stud. It ultaimtely took a torch and a pounding from the inside to finish breaking it apart. The nut had broken in half, leaving half the nut still frozen. Pick below of the aftermath. I think the last dude to have these wheels off, and it having sat for 4 years, really did a number on it. At the end of the day, the ZJ looks my stylish, and my XJ looks more utilitarian. What I wanted.

packmule1911
09-12-2015, 10:47 AM
This looks much better I think. 8236

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

packmule1911
10-02-2015, 01:04 PM
We have yellow/brownish aged plastic headlights. I can order a new set for not much money, but I was wondering what homegrown solutions folks have tried for restoring their ZJ lenses that I might try first.

Thanks!

denverd1
10-02-2015, 01:06 PM
3m headlight kit. fits on a drill. tape off around the lenses.

denverd1
10-02-2015, 01:06 PM
https://www.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome-psyapi2&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8&q=3m%20headlight%20restoration%20kit&oq=3m%20headlih&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0l5.2326j0j7

drakan1908
10-02-2015, 01:43 PM
Just replaced mine. $46 shipped from Rockauto

sent from a van down by the river

packmule1911
10-02-2015, 01:57 PM
Thanks. I've tried a few of the products that a Google search yields, and didn't find them to be that great. Numerous snake oil concoctions too.

I'll buy new lens rather than spend the money for a kit. $35 shipped for a pair of new lenses.

denverd1
10-02-2015, 03:00 PM
Thanks. I've tried a few of the products that a Google search yields, and didn't find them to be that great. Numerous snake oil concoctions too.

I'll buy new lens rather than spend the money for a kit. $35 shipped for a pair of new lenses.

the kits I've seen are made by 3M and sold at local auto store. look to be quality kits. Hard to believe new lenses are that cheap, but I'll take your word on it.

new bulbs too?

packmule1911
10-02-2015, 03:06 PM
Hard to believe new lenses are that cheap, but I'll take your word on it.

new bulbs too?

eBay. New bulbs not included.

packmule1911
10-10-2015, 12:03 PM
eBay. New bulbs not included.

Sorry to quote myself, but the lights arrived and they had new bulbs in them as well. Popped them in easily and things are much better.