PDA

View Full Version : Locker or Winch?????

kmanxj
11-05-2009, 10:26 AM
What do you guys feel you use more/ like more???

they're about the same price (smittybuilt 8k and Aussie 8.25 locker, dont want to lock the front)

so be able to get my self out of a sticky situation??? Or have the locker to make my way through???

Mudderoy
11-05-2009, 10:38 AM
What do you guys feel you use more/ like more???

they're about the same price (smittybuilt 8k and Aussie 8.25 locker, dont want to lock the front)

so be able to get my self out of a sticky situation??? Or have the locker to make my way through???

That's a tough call. A locker can keep you from getting stuck but a winch and make you a sandwich! :smiley-laughing021:

I don't think you'll ever be un-stuckable, so go with the winch. Is the locker a lunchbox or do you have to set up the gears? That will add $350 to the cost of the locker unless you CAN do it yourself.

I'd still get the locker, but later.

BTW, I never go off road so listen to the guys that do!

alwaysxj
11-05-2009, 10:43 AM
i think it all depends on what kind of wheeling do you do. i do moslty rocks and i would much rather have a locker. you would be amazed what just a locker in the rear can do to your jeep. so me personaly would go with a locker.

COSXJFAN
11-05-2009, 10:51 AM
I use my locker every time I wheel, and I have never used my winch for an extraction. IMHO, you're better off having both, but I would get the locker first. HTH!!

kmanxj
11-05-2009, 12:10 PM
I think locker too. My only thing would be i like to go wheeling alone with my gf alot so a winch would be nice. But when i do that it is mostly scenic anyway.

And yes Mud the aussie is a lunchbox 300 bucks.

"If you can change brakes you can install an aussie" That is their saying lol

UKJeepThang
11-06-2009, 02:29 AM
Definately a locker!

A locker will make you a better offroader as well, a winch is just an insurance policy in case you get stuck

I got lockers first and then a winch afterwards

4.3LXJ
11-06-2009, 09:40 AM
I went with the winch. It will get you out when you get to where you can't go any more. After that it is a lift. I got tired of banging everything on small rocks.

Mudderoy
11-06-2009, 10:17 AM
I went with the winch. It will get you out when you get to where you can't go any more. After that it is a lift. I got tired of banging everything on small rocks.

I feel vindicated! lol. Of course I went with the lift wheels and tires first, but...

Here's where I'm at in my list...

winch (Superwinch epi9.0)
SYE (Tom Woods for NP242)
sliders (Detours frame stiffener with sliders)
long arm kit (RC from 4Wheelingplus.com)
ARB air locker (rear)
ARB air locker (front) <---- 30 spline dana 30 with chrome molly axles

4.3LXJ
11-06-2009, 10:26 AM
Well, it is good to have some company. Back in the good old days I sold my winch because I never used it. But now with rigs running larger tires and so forth, there are a lot of situations where you will get stuck. The winch is real handy then. That locker will just get you in more trouble.

I had a stock 85 that I put some 31" swampers on and hit the trail to Eagle Lakes here in CA. I think I found every rock with the gas tank skid plate. The lift was most welcome after that.

xj4life2
11-06-2009, 10:41 AM
I would and still do take a winch over a locker every time I have to agree with 4.3lxj . I've wheeled open for a long time and with a winch I may fall behind for a minute but don't worry I'm right behind you

kmanxj
11-06-2009, 06:58 PM
well ive got lift lol!!!

im not worried about that and 33's

so i am gonna go winch

Logans91XJ
11-07-2009, 12:49 PM
A LOCKER HANDS DOWN.. You can only really get so far with a decent lift and tires a locker pretty much gives you the best traction that one can get. Honestly with some body armor and lockers front and rear and 3 1/2" lift and good tires you could probably make it through most of the rubicon

BlueXJ
11-07-2009, 05:24 PM
Winch has come in handy a few times. I have not put any lockers on my Heep yet.

TeXJ
01-05-2010, 09:05 PM
locker, cause you shouldnt wheel without friends, NEVER WHEEL ALONE, so with a locker you can get out of stuff easier. And if you happen to get stuck your friend is there to tug you out.

BlueXJ
01-06-2010, 08:04 AM
Wench wins hands down. She can help push or keep you warm. http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll187/90BlueXJ/women/twistys.jpg

XJ Rat
01-06-2010, 12:35 PM
Locker will get you much further along. When you do get stuck, it will be a lot worse. The winch will get you out of your trouble.

Go with winch first and then lockers.

cantab27
01-06-2010, 12:49 PM
Locker will get you much further along. When you do get stuck, it will be a lot worse. The winch will get you out of your trouble.

Go with winch first and then lockers.
thats how i was thinking rat...both would be nice but.. whats better to lock frist, front or rear, rear being lsd, would you go front...or wait to i can afford both..:thumbsup:

BlueXJ
01-06-2010, 12:53 PM
A locked front on a DD needs some getting used to. ?They respond differently in corners and under differing road conditions.

XJ Rat
01-07-2010, 12:36 PM
thats how i was thinking rat...both would be nice but.. whats better to lock frist, front or rear, rear being lsd, would you go front...or wait to i can afford both..:thumbsup:

Me, after the winch, I would put the locker in the rear first. But, on a daily driver, a locker in the rear has quirks. I tolerated my TJ with a Detroit locker in the rear and it was not a daily driver for me. You cannot just toss the keys to anyone. You must be familiar with the rear locker in a short wheelbase vehicle.

If your XJ is a daily driver, I recommend putting the locker in the front, especially seeing how you have an LSD in the rear. When your TC is in 2wd the front locker will not be noticeable. In 4wd it is different driving with the locker, as turns will be tougher - especially in rocks or other high traction surfaces. The quirks are nothing that cannot be tolerated, and are far outweighed by the benefit of the locker. Just know they exist.

Mudderoy
01-07-2010, 01:02 PM
After going out to Spring Creek a week (or so) ago, I can say that the locker would have come in more handy than the winch. True I used my winch twice, but that was to pull others out not me. And I really only used my winch because it was new and I wanted to play with it.

I don't like to hit things at a high rate of speed, nor do I like red lining the engine to get up or through something. A locker, preferably two, would help me in those two areas.

Well anyway it's a moot point for me now. I have the winch and love it. I'll probably do one locker at a time, and the first one will be on the rear axle.

alwaysxj
01-07-2010, 01:26 PM
im runnig the rear just welded and i love it. it's easy and cheap tell i can get the cash for a ARB. i think why not i will be replaceing everything that i welded with the locker so why not right.

cantab27
01-07-2010, 02:00 PM
Me, after the winch, I would put the locker in the rear first. But, on a daily driver, a locker in the rear has quirks. I tolerated my TJ with a Detroit locker in the rear and it was not a daily driver for me. You cannot just toss the keys to anyone. You must be familiar with the rear locker in a short wheelbase vehicle.

If your XJ is a daily driver, I recommend putting the locker in the front, especially seeing how you have an LSD in the rear. When your TC is in 2wd the front locker will not be noticeable. In 4wd it is different driving with the locker, as turns will be tougher - especially in rocks or other high traction surfaces. The quirks are nothing that cannot be tolerated, and are far outweighed by the benefit of the locker. Just know they exist.

bit off topic maybe, not a dd but does see the tarmac a bit( got to get to those fishing spots).. could you put rear lsd 35 into the front 30, and then lock the rear..:smiley-scared002:

xj4life2
01-07-2010, 05:04 PM

Not entirely true , as long as you have a part time transfer case your ok, If you are "lucky" enough to have the NP242, which is a full time case and the front end spins all the time, the locker will be working all the time and a pain the _____ on the street.

XJ Rat
01-07-2010, 06:00 PM
bit off topic maybe, not a dd but does see the tarmac a bit( got to get to those fishing spots).. could you put rear lsd 35 into the front 30, and then lock the rear..:smiley-scared002:

Nope, the Dana 35 LSD will not fit into a Dana 30. If you lock the 35 make sure you take a good collection of spare parts, and you know how to install those parts, you will need 'em.

XJ Rat
01-07-2010, 06:03 PM
Not entirely true , as long as you have a part time transfer case your ok, If you are "lucky" enough to have the NP242, which is a full time case and the front end spins all the time, the locker will be working all the time and a pain the _____ on the street.

You are correct if he has a 242. I was guessing he had the 231.

Mudderoy
01-07-2010, 09:56 PM
Wow that's interesting. I thought as long as you had the NP242 in 2WD the autolocker in the front wouldn't engage. I felt a selectable was the way for me so I was going to take care of it that way. Of course selectable hubs would fix the issue as well.

XJ Rat
01-08-2010, 10:15 AM
Wow that's interesting. I thought as long as you had the NP242 in 2WD the autolocker in the front wouldn't engage. I felt a selectable was the way for me so I was going to take care of it that way. Of course selectable hubs would fix the issue as well.

You might be right, I have zero experience with the 242 case.

Mudderoy
01-08-2010, 10:22 AM
You might be right, I have zero experience with the 242 case.

lol I have no experience with a NP242 and an auto locker. My understanding of the auto locker is that it engages when power is applied. No power from the NP242 in 2WD and no auto locker engage. At least that's my theory.

XJ Rat
01-08-2010, 12:45 PM
lol I have no experience with a NP242 and an auto locker. My understanding of the auto locker is that it engages when power is applied. No power from the NP242 in 2WD and no auto locker engage. At least that's my theory.

Yep, anytime an autolocker senses torque (i.e., stepping on the gas) it locks up. Parking lots are interesting to negotiate with a Detroit locker in the rear. Getting on the highway and the entrance ramp has a bend in it, these are also problematic. But the traction off road is second to none.

Put the locker in the front - as long as the front end is not receiving power (TC in 2wd) you are OK.

4.3LXJ
01-08-2010, 01:12 PM
What is interesting to me is what we will accept now as opposed to 20 years ago. At that time no one would use a locker due to the strange driving characteristics you got from them. Now it is deemed acceptable. Things sure have changed since low speed rock crawling became popular.

rguignard
01-08-2010, 02:00 PM
locker in the rear it works:thumbsup: as for the 242 it doesnt send power to the frt as long as its in 2wd just in 4x4 both part time and full time.

LizardRunner
03-01-2011, 10:39 AM
I'd go with the winch first then later add the locker. I plan on getting da lizard all set up with bumpers and winch, rock rails then I'll lift it and then I'll know which gear ratio will be the best set up for my rig and I'll be doing the gear changes and lockers at that time. I choose this method because I do mostly trails.

If I was going to just be hanging out in the rocks I'd put in the lockers first and carry a hi lift for getting outa trouble spots. till I could get a winch.

modestmar00xj
03-02-2011, 09:47 AM
i would go with the winch simply because a locker may not get you unstuck but a winch usually all way gets you you out! Also it depends HOW your stuck with a locker if ill help or not BUT a winch it doesn't matter.

4x4Dalton
03-05-2011, 01:10 AM
I would also go with the winch first. Lockers would be best in the long haul but for starting out I would go with a winch that way you will have a better understanding of the possibilities of your XJ. You may see that you may not need Lockers at all. Just my 2 cents worth.

TeXJ
03-05-2011, 11:14 AM
I would also go with the winch first. Lockers would be best in the long haul but for starting out I would go with a winch that way you will have a better understanding of the possibilities of your XJ. You may see that you may not need Lockers at all. Just my 2 cents worth.

X2 great reply

default83
03-07-2011, 07:29 AM
yup winch first. lockers give you a somewhat false sense of security, as in yeah i got a locker i can make it through that. and when you get there and cant get out your screwed, and most of the time if a Jeep gets stuck then good luck getting anything else far enough in to pull you out.

once your stuck your stuck, locker or not. with a winch you can get out fairly easy no matter what, as long as your not in an open field.

bluedragon436
03-07-2011, 10:16 AM
I am going to go with both default83 and Dalton's posts on this one... It is kind of the same way I am thinking right now on this very same dilema... Especially since you can pick up a winch on a decent deal from one our vendors (http://www.payless4wheeldrive.com/) right now.. or actually now that I think of it, two of our vendors (http://store.4wheelingplus.com/proddetail.asp?prod=RS9500) right now..

4.3LXJ
03-07-2011, 11:02 AM
I did the winch first. I haven't regretted it. I am still working on the lockers. But with the winch I can still get there with open diffs, and back. Just slower.

teamwestoutdoors
03-07-2011, 02:25 PM
I'm locked front and rear and since I only go out in a group with some tow straps a winch really isn't on my list. Not to say if I came across a great deal on one I wouldn't jump on it. But, out here on the slick rock lockers in my opinion are the way to go.

dabarrett3
04-02-2011, 11:32 PM
Lockers all the way. The only time I have used a winch is to help others without lockers. It will be like driving a whole new vehicle on the trails and give you a confidence booster at the same time.

Firemanray
04-03-2011, 08:24 AM
I've got both and I still get stuck. I would go with the winch, all the lockers in the world won't get you out if your stuck, winch works every time. As soon as you get the winch installed gather up some coin and get the locker :) .

XJ4IV
04-03-2011, 08:33 AM
I have both and I USE both every time I wheel... BUT I say the winch!
Reason is this a Locker will help you MOST of the time but a winch will help you ALL the time! plus I had this incident happen a few weeks ago... TOTALLY hot chick went off into a ravine... I yanked her out with the winch even got to see a good money shot too if I hadnt had the winch I never would have stopped. PLUS it adds to the over all badd ass look of the jeep

cantab27
04-03-2011, 02:22 PM
hot chick went off.. I yanked her out with the winch even got to see a good money shot

mmmm....dont know what to say really.......:rolleye0012:
:D

jccatt
04-03-2011, 04:30 PM
So a winch is a chick magnet too...sweet.

Seriously, if you wheel in a group get a kocker, if you wheel or fish alone get a winch.