PDA

View Full Version : Are you a new HAM?

Mudderoy
05-03-2015, 10:57 AM
Are you a new HAM? Recently several long term :xjtalk: members have either received, or tested and waiting for their new HAM license.

Tell us where you are, what license you took and your future HAM plans!

NW99XJ
06-19-2015, 01:38 PM
Got my Technician license in beginning of May.
My plans? Get real comfortable with operating procedures and basic usage of repeaters and such. After that (prob next year) I'll go for my General class license.
For now though, my main motivation for becoming a HAM is emergency communications while out on the trail. (where i wheel there is zero cell coverage)

JBone
06-30-2015, 03:48 PM
Just passed the Technician test this past weekend during the HAM field day. Don't have my callsign yet. My plan is the same as NW99XJ as well as the reasons.

Mudderoy
06-30-2015, 04:49 PM
Just passed the Technician test this past weekend during the HAM field day. Don't have my callsign yet. My plan is the same as NW99XJ as well as the reasons.

Congrats! Glad to hear they were doing something besides contesting at field day. Never have like contesting on the bands.... although I understand the need for practicing passing traffic for emergencies.

Everyone has a 5-9 signal :P

NW99XJ
07-01-2015, 09:09 AM
Congrats J-bone.
Hope to hear you on the air sometime.
KG7TPY

prerunner1982
07-01-2015, 10:33 AM
Congrats Jason.

Got your eye on a set up for your Jeep?

Jon
KF5WUF

JBone
07-01-2015, 12:45 PM
Well I have a Boafeng UV-82 HT right now that I've been listening to for a while. Been looking for a mobile rig but not sure on what brand. Seems like the IComs, Kenwood and Yaesu are out of my price range for a guy with a small budget. Right now I'm looking at another Chinese brand the TYT TH-9800 Plus Quad bander.

Mudderoy
07-01-2015, 12:51 PM
Look for IRLP enabled repeaters in your area.

JBone
07-01-2015, 03:51 PM
I found 4 IRLP repeaters in my area using an Android app call IRLP Finder. pretty cool app.

prerunner1982
07-01-2015, 04:25 PM
Well I have a Boafeng UV-82 HT right now that I've been listening to for a while. Been looking for a mobile rig but not sure on what brand. Seems like the IComs, Kenwood and Yaesu are out of my price range for a guy with a small budget. Right now I'm looking at another Chinese brand the TYT TH-9800 Plus Quad bander.

I looked at getting the Yaesu version... but I didn't like the single antenna output and wasn't sure how well 10m FM would work. Options for a 4 band antenna are a bit limited, though a duplexer or antenna switch could allow you to run a separate antenna for 10m.

NW99XJ
07-02-2015, 11:50 AM
Options for a 4 band antenna are a bit limited, though a duplexer or antenna switch could allow you to run a separate antenna for 10m.

I just saw a mobile radio (cant remember the brand name) in the most recent Ham Radio Outlet catalog... a dual band (2m/70cm)...detachable control face, with built in packet handling features, all the tones you could ever need, AND a built in duplexer (which i though twas kinda cool) .... didnt see a price tag though :(

JBone
07-02-2015, 04:14 PM
Now that sounds like a great mobile rig. Try to remember what brand it was so I can look it up :) I'll look around on that site you posted.

Mudderoy
07-02-2015, 04:23 PM
Now that sounds like a great mobile rig. Try to remember what brand it was so I can look it up :) I'll look around on that site you posted.

I bet it was a Kenwood. They've been doing built in packet for a while. Not a fan of Kenwoods...

prerunner1982
07-02-2015, 04:26 PM
I would agree with Tony, TM 710G... about $650.

JBone
07-02-2015, 08:43 PM
ouch! that's pricy $ I'm a cheap HAM hahaha

Mudderoy
07-03-2015, 09:23 AM
Nothing about HAM radio is cheap, except building your own antennas. It very strange to see $30 radios. My first handy talky was about $200 if I remember correctly. Icom IC2AT

Outlaw star
07-04-2015, 06:52 PM
Anyone have any opinions/advice on the Beofung handhelds? I won one from a Jeep Club raffle and figured I should learn to use it other than NOAA broadcasts.

Mudderoy
07-04-2015, 08:02 PM
Anyone have any opinions/advice on the Beofung handhelds? I won one from a Jeep Club raffle and figured I should learn to use it other than NOAA broadcasts.

Well what you don't want to do is start talking on it like you would a CB. HAMs are known for reporting unlicensed operators. I am assuming you don't have an Amatuer Radio license.

Is it 2 meters, 70 centimeters or both?

I'd start with searching Google for repeaters in your area. You can then put in the frequency and start listening. Oh look for an IRLP repeater. Those are usually very busy and fun to listen to.

prerunner1982
07-05-2015, 09:04 AM

Order the programming cable and download Chirp. Makes it easier to program. A different antenna will help a lot. The Nagoya NA 771 is popular or you can get a conversion cable and run a dual band mag mount on a pie plate (or other metal item.. fridge, freezer, safe, etc). You could also make a vertical ground plane or J-pole for the band (2m or 70cm) that you would use the most.

I have 2 Baofeng HT radios. Have had one for almost 3yrs now and neither has given me any issues.

Outlaw star
07-05-2015, 01:03 PM
Thanks for all the input. I've gotten a lot of info on classes and operation in my area as well.

JBone
07-07-2015, 10:04 AM
Woohoo! Got my call sign today, KC1ECP.

Mudderoy
07-07-2015, 10:50 AM
Order the programming cable and download Chirp. Makes it easier to program. A different antenna will help a lot. The Nagoya NA 771 is popular or you can get a conversion cable and run a dual band mag mount on a pie plate (or other metal item.. fridge, freezer, safe, etc). You could also make a vertical ground plane or J-pole for the band (2m or 70cm) that you would use the most.

I have 2 Baofeng HT radios. Have had one for almost 3yrs now and neither has given me any issues.

And when you're sticking that antenna on something remember FM is generally vertically polarized where AM, SSB, etc... is horizontal. So you'll want it vertical.

BenLavNZ
06-07-2016, 11:34 PM
New hammer here. ZL4BGL (new zealand). If anyone has an IRLP repeater in their location let me know the node number and I'll drop in some time.

Mudderoy
06-08-2016, 03:26 AM
New hammer here. ZL4BGL (new zealand). If anyone has an IRLP repeater in their location let me know the node number and I'll drop in some time.

Congrats! I listen to the WinSystem and use a local repeater that it's linked to it. Not sure what the node number is, I just use the old fashion radio link. :D