PDA

View Full Version : A recent 2 meter HAM radio contact

Mudderoy
04-17-2015, 11:09 AM
Driving home yesterday and approaching Katy, TX and I heard someone put out a call on the Katy repeater (147.200 Mhz).

I had a problem with my transmit the day before so I wanted to do some further "on air" testing to see if I could further determine the problem.

I said my call and shortly the other person responded. Seemed I was full quieting into the repeater (strong signal) but that soon changed as traffic let me accelerate from about 20 to 30 mph to 70. So even though I wasn't hearing a problem on receive my transmit was "choppy". I slowed to exit the freeway and Bob, the other HAM I was having a QSO with (talking to) ask me to give him 30 seconds of chatter (talk about anything) so he could tell if driving slower make a difference to my transmit signal.

During my 30 second chatter, I mentioned that I was driving a noisy Jeep, specifically a 1998 Jeep Cherokee.

Bob replied, "Oh you drive a Cherokee? I wonder if you visit a website that I use, it's X J talk." I laughed and said, I not only visit the site I own it!

Turns out I was talking to Bob, OldFaurt. We continued the conversation for another 5 minutes or so until I made it to the house.

I checked my antenna and I guess the repeated bending it over as I drove into the garage had caused the stinger portion of the antenna to loosen from the spring. It wasn't so lose it was about to fall off but I'm sure it was enough to make and break contact as my vibrating Jeep lumbered down the road, more so when driving faster.

So if you have EchoLink, or you're in the Katy area tune your radio, or scanner, to 147.200 about 5:15 pm during the week and maybe you can hear, or better yet, join in on the conversation!

prerunner1982
04-17-2015, 11:42 AM
That's awesome. Of all the hams what are the chances. Cool.

We have a few echolink repeaters here, but I have never played with them. There is a WinSystem repeater in a nearby town that is linked up quite a bit and that one is fun when I can hit it.

bluedragon436
04-17-2015, 01:43 PM
That's pretty cool to find out you know a contact like that.. even more so that he was trying to promote :xjtalk1: on the air!! LOL

OldFaurt
04-17-2015, 08:45 PM
That's pretty cool to find out you know a contact like that.. even more so that he was trying to promote :xjtalk1: on the air!! LOL

Well of course I promote :xjtalk:
In Katy, it is THE premier XJ hangout.
And well, the fact that it doubles as a Ham Radio community as well,
It's a no-brainer!

The guys have been a great deal of help & intertainment... Nickyg... LOL!

It was great finding Mudderoy on the air... kind of funny actually.
I knew he was a ham, but never thought I would hear him on the repeater!

KC6VHS

TM-D700A
Diamond SG-7900 dual bander

prerunner1982
04-19-2015, 08:12 AM
KC6VHS

Its a good thing you didn't get KC6BETA as your call sign.. :D

The youngins here have no idea what I am even talking about. LOL

Mudderoy
04-19-2015, 08:36 AM
Its a good thing you didn't get KC6BETA as your call sign.. :D

The youngins here have no idea what I am even talking about. LOL

You know BetaMAX was a better product? Higher quality video, but if I'm remembering correctly was limited to 1 hour record/playback time and movies just didn't fit on them.

Mayooo
04-19-2015, 08:40 AM
Sweet.... I'll be sure to tune in..

Brasscatz
04-21-2015, 09:09 AM
I may try to chat with yall next time I'm in the Katy area. I better do it in private though, people tend to give me weird looks when I talk into my ham sammich.

xjzaped
04-22-2015, 10:34 PM
You know BetaMAX was a better product? Higher quality video, but if I'm remembering correctly was limited to 1 hour record/playback time and movies just didn't fit on them.
I'm a 92 baby. Was watching star wars on laser disk over the weekend...

Betamax was before my time but I know about it.

I don't use echo link to often.

So while we have the ham club gathered, who's going to win the digital wars?

I'll let you know if your reply is R2D2ing.

Urbanvelocity
12-28-2016, 05:03 PM

It was the wrap around the head, more contact. You could get 120's. news crews used beta.

Mudderoy
12-28-2016, 10:58 PM
It was the wrap around the head, more contact. You could get 120's. news crews used beta.

I guess I never looked inside a VHS recorder. I assumed it was that wrap around the head thing as well.

xjzaped
12-29-2016, 07:14 AM
I guess I never looked inside a VHS recorder. I assumed it was that wrap around the head thing as well.

It was more like a cassette if I remember correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4.3LXJ
12-29-2016, 10:47 AM
Yes, large cassette. The wrap around thing is the 8 track tape