PDA

View Full Version : Up grading axles

gearheadette
04-18-2009, 01:28 PM
I have been tossing around axle up grades in my head since a trip to Roushe Creek and had to sit on the side lines for the "rock Creek" trail ( 1800 ft of boulders)

I have been told a bunch of options, after talking with my rock crawling friends and reading this months "Petersons 4wheeler" (the whole issue was about axles) I think i am going with a Dana 60 and a dana 44,

I want it to take the abuse of the trail and still be semi-street worthy.

any thoughts?

DETOURS
04-18-2009, 02:05 PM
It's a big jump, from where you're currently at with your XJ. (profile info)

I'd be a'lil reluctant to get in too deep with a 1988, you're going to be dumping some serious cash, I would first evaluate the vehical's overall condition.......from there, along with the axle uprade you'll most likely need to step your lift up a few inches and with that upsize your tires as well...plus
you'll need new driveshafts.....

Any pics or additional info on how your rig currently sits?
Auto/standard?
Miles?
242 T~Case?
Current tire size?
Rust?
Have you thought about a budget?
Can you afford to be without the vehical or is it a dailey driver?

gearheadette
04-18-2009, 04:01 PM
the vehical's overall condition.......from there, along with the axle uprade you'll most likely need to step your lift up a few inches and with that upsize your tires as well...plus
you'll need new driveshafts.....

Any pics or additional info on how your rig currently sits?
Auto/standard?
Miles?
242 T~Case?
Current tire size?
Rust?
Have you thought about a budget?
Can you afford to be without the vehical or is it a dailey driver?

my jeep is actually quite clean for the year, and the engine has 75k on it. evn though it has 223k on it 31" tires, 3 " suspension lift, not a clue what transfercase is on it. ole dude at advance says the first gen broncos are almost a direct fit, I wont need to do any cutting (due to the shorter wheel base)

I am looking into junk axles not new

DETOURS
04-18-2009, 06:03 PM
Nuthin wrong with Bronco axles......

Please consider, and I'm just being up front as far as costs go and whats involved....I'm all about upgrades!

All Bracketry from the Ford axles need to go, you'll need it removed, you'll need to purchase new hardware, have it welded on.................installed..
That said, if you happen to find Bronco axles with 4:10's, so be it...if not you'll need to buy and swap gears...........A heads up since I've owned 1st generation Bronco's......the rear is a 9". not a 60.

From there, your rims wont fit, you'll need to swap.

From there your 31's, wont get it.........you'll need to dump your current lift in favor of a 4.5-5.5" lift for clearance, and step up to atleast a 33" tire.

You've still got driveshafts to do....I still dont know if it's an automatic or standard.....is it a 6 cyl. or a 4 banger??

It's all do-able, theres better ways to get there........jist try'in to help.

gearheadette
04-18-2009, 08:21 PM
i figured i was going to do a suspension lift anyways. i got the 6 cylinder.

BlueXJ
04-18-2009, 09:02 PM
Tell us what the cover plate on the console says next to the 4WD handle and we can tell you which Transfercase you have.

muddeprived
04-19-2009, 05:19 AM
IMO the dana 60 would be overkill unless you are running HUGE tires, say 35+. Do you have a dana 35 now? or chrysler?

edit: just saw you had the dana 35. Now i can see why you sat on the sidelines. I used to be told not to try this and that when i had my dana 35 in my TJ and 33's but i ignored them and crawled with it everywhere they went and never broke anything but I don't recommend you follow my footsteps. I think a 29 spline chrysler 8.25 and upgraded-shaft-dana 30 with 33's would work for you. It may be cheaper overall too.

Mudderoy
04-19-2009, 08:14 AM
IMO the dana 60 would be overkill unless you are running HUGE tires, say 35+. Do you have a dana 35 now? or chrysler?

edit: just saw you had the dana 35. Now i can see why you sat on the sidelines. I used to be told not to try this and that when i had my dana 35 in my TJ and 33's but i ignored them and crawled with it everywhere they went and never broke anything but I don't recommend you follow my footsteps. I think a 29 spline chrysler 8.25 and upgraded-shaft-dana 30 with 33's would work for you. It may be cheaper overall too.

I was going to chime in after Spanky but didn't because what do I know. Anyway from all that I have READ that is my conclusion. A Dana 30 with upgraded shafts and a c8.25 ("C" clips are the weak points) would do great. I think you could go up the 35" tires easy. You may have to beef up the steering. I was looking at the 30 spline ARB locker with 30 spline shafts for the D30. I think that would be bad a$$.

gearheadette
04-19-2009, 10:17 AM
still alot that i got to learn. I think i am going to take apart my old dana 35 that i have sitting around in my back yard and see about just re-building it like i planned

Mudderoy
04-19-2009, 12:04 PM
still alot that i got to learn. I think i am going to take apart my old dana 35 that i have sitting around in my back yard and see about just re-building it like i planned

I've also read that by the time you get done getting the D35 to where it needs to be you could have one hell of a D44. Personally I would just get a 29 spline C8.25 and move the disc brakes from a Grand D35 to it. That way if the axle does snap the disc brake holds the rod in!

The other bonus with the C8.25 is you can go up to 4.88 now (I think thats right) and there are TONS and TONS of replacements out there so they are cheap! Wheel, break, repair, wheel, break repair!

DETOURS
04-19-2009, 12:52 PM
Please dont put any time or effort into that 35, it's a turd...will always be a turd.

Heres what I would do.......Search for a Dana 44 out of an XJ, they came as part of the XJ's tow package when ordered....with a little luck, you may even find one with matching gears...which makes it an afternoon swap.

As Mudd suggested, purchase alloy shafts for the front 30 if you go above a 33" tire or you lock it........if you leave it unlocked, you can run 33"s all day.

Easiest of all upgrades.......Find an XJ that had a 4 banger in it, you'll step right into 4:10 gears, you'll replace that 35 with an 8.25 (decent), the front will be another 30.....but the bright side is all the spare parts you gain from your old front axle. This set up will work up to 35" tires if you again, upgrade the front axle shafts, 33's no problem.

Some type of budget info would really help determan a suitable upgrade.

Next, lets determan which lift your upgrading to.......;)

_StationWagon_
04-19-2009, 03:42 PM
You'd have to really hammer that XJ to need a 44/60 combination right now. I don't know what your experience is, but your XJ is where mine was as recently as a year ago. I have lots more guts than my XJ has muscle, and I really try to make it catch up :p. I upgraded to an 8.25 and run black trails at Rausch now.
YJ on 35's got stuck here ... I paused for pics, puckered & kept right on going.

http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/4177/3wheelin2x.jpg

Anyway, my points is (like the boys have said), a 30/44 or 30/8.25 combo is plenty. The upgrades you're contemplating get really expensive as you go along. Really expensive. And honestly, overkill unless you're going hardcore in a hurry. That's the testosterone direction ... (no offence guys!)

Mudderoy
04-19-2009, 05:52 PM
No you're right. If I had the money it would be D60 front and rear, with missle launchers, and a 50 cal on a turret. That would be my daily driver. :sniper: :patriot:

DETOURS
04-19-2009, 06:43 PM
I hate putting thousands into any of my $800 XJ's.........;)

Looked at 5 rebuildable XJ wrecks today and 2 ZJ's.........Hmmmmmmm:jail:

Mudderoy
04-19-2009, 10:36 PM
I hate putting thousands into any of my $800 XJ's.........;)

Looked at 5 rebuildable XJ wrecks today and 2 ZJ's.........Hmmmmmmm:jail:

Put thousands into your $800 XJ and later we can laugh at you when you advertise it in Craig's list for ONLY $30k with $45k worth of upgrades!

I know every dime I am putting into my $4.5k XJ is a gonner. I'll never get it back, in fact it's going down in value everyday. But that's why I'm going to keep it forever! :smiley-laughing021:

AJsArmor
04-20-2009, 12:23 AM
Also consider the Ford 8.8 out of the Explorers (not rangers), with 31 spline axles and discs it's an easy upgrade in the rear. Came 4.10 factory as well. Weld the tubes to the center chunk as the rosettes are not known for their strength, people have spun them.

Mudderoy
04-20-2009, 12:27 AM
Also consider the Ford 8.8 out of the Explorers (not rangers), with 31 spline axles and discs it's an easy upgrade in the rear. Came 4.10 factory as well. Weld the tubes to the center chunk as the rosettes are not known for their strength, people have spun them.

I forgot about that with the C8.25, I've read they'll spin as well. I was going to truss both the D30 and C8.25 on my rig. I may learn how to weld yet!

_StationWagon_
04-20-2009, 10:24 AM
I forgot about that with the C8.25, I've read they'll spin as well. I was going to truss both the D30 and C8.25 on my rig. I may learn how to weld yet!
So you're saying that the 8.25 will spin as well?

Note to Self: get it welded!

Mudderoy
04-20-2009, 12:04 PM
So you're saying that the 8.25 will spin as well?

Note to Self: get it welded!

Yep. I read that on NAXJA. Doesn't mean it is true, but why risk it.

_StationWagon_
04-20-2009, 12:38 PM
Any cons to welding it?

BlueXJ
04-20-2009, 03:39 PM
On the 8.8s they say if you don't rosebud the center section first that it will be a brittle weld. I am not familar with the Cryco 8.25 being welded. HTH

DETOURS
04-20-2009, 07:55 PM
The 8.8 is an excellent choice as well, my thoughts turned towards direct bolt in axles to controll costs.

_StationWagon_
04-21-2009, 11:42 AM
When I was getting my axle swap I didn't do enough research & took some things for granted. I knew I wanted to stay away from the 44 due to their age, cost & rarity in this area. But I neglected to look into the 8.8 even tho I knew about it. I went for the 8.25 because it was a direct swap & inexpensive. Besides, I'm not hardcore wheeling, but since I drove my XJ to many trails, I didn't want to trust the trips home to a turdy-five.
Imagine my dismay after the swap to learn that there is no OX locker for the 8.25. Serves me right for being in a hurry. It's good that you're dong your research well in advance of chopping up the Jeep. It's the way to go.

2000XJ
04-24-2009, 03:46 PM
Good thread.

IMHO, unless you're going to be on at least 35's, if not 37's, then the Dana 60 in the back is just going to act like an anchor because you won't have enough height to keep it from getting hung up on stuff. Dana 60's are GREAT axles, but in an XJ, unless you're wheeling crazy stuff, it's not with the hassle.

Your Dana 30 can be built up to be quite a strong axle. Regear it, throw in chromo shafts, upgraded 760x u-joints, a locker, and maybe even a truss if you'd like, and get a set of 35's on there.

Toss that 35 that you have and find an XJ (or MJ) Dana 44. The MJ D44 doesn't require a ton of fab to make it work. Regear it, chromo shafts, and a locker and that axle will go all day and all night on 35's.

My point is, that those guys that said that you can't do Rock Creek unless you're on some big boy stuff aren't always being logical. I know many that do Rock Creek with the 44/30 combo, I'm going to hit it this summer at some point with that combo, and as long as you wheel intelligently and rock CRAWL and not slam the skinny pedal, then you'll be ok.

Also keep in mind that any Dana 44 you do in the front (for the exception of the TJ 44) will need fabbing. You'll have to redo your steering, and you'll have to get new rims... among other things that it will entail.

If you were going to build a comp rig XJ that was going to be doing some crazy stuff, then the 60/44 combo would be a great choice, but for recreational wheeling throughout the year, it's going to be overkill. Also, don't neglect the weight of the 60/44 combo. A typical 60, when fully loaded (gears, lockers, shafts, brakes) will weigh in at around 500 pounds - that's ALOT of weight. The 44 isn't a slim jim either, so you're going to be adding alot of weight to your rig as well.

Just my .02.

_StationWagon_
04-24-2009, 09:09 PM
2k, that's an excellent breakdown. Lots of info there that i didn't know. :thumbsup:

2000XJ
04-25-2009, 04:01 PM
I love encouraging axle swaps, but within reason. Sometimes it's great to overbuild stuff, but any extreme has it's negative qualities.