PDA

View Full Version : speed wooble

xjmedic4x4
11-03-2009, 09:39 AM
hello and good day ...i got this speed wooble in my 1997 xj .running at 80kph - 84kph my xj got wooble but after speed of 85kphs it is gone. i change my tierad , done for wheel balance and check if any sand inside the wheel but still coming ...i`m using my xj for safari seldom. my tire are 1yr n half do i have to change the tire nor rim.what cause the wooble please help....thank you all d best.:driving:

Mudderoy
11-03-2009, 09:52 AM
hello and good day ...i got this speed wooble in my 1997 xj .running at 80kph - 84kph my xj got wooble but after speed of 85kphs it is gone. i change my tierad , done for wheel balance and check if any sand inside the wheel but still coming ...i`m using my xj for safari seldom. my tire are 1yr n half do i have to change the tire nor rim.what cause the wooble please help....thank you all d best.:driving:

Have you tried swapping the rear wheels to the front? Have you verified your front end alignment? How about the other front end parts? Are they in good shape?

xjmedic4x4
11-03-2009, 10:01 AM
thanks mudderoy i have rotated my tires but alignment didn`t done yet and both ends are intact....my upper arm bushing seems need replacement too.

Mudderoy
11-03-2009, 10:15 AM
thanks mudderoy i have rotated my tires but alignment didn`t done yet and both ends are intact....my upper arm bushing seems need replacement too.

I'm making an assumption that you are talking about classic "death wobble". At a certain speed (usually) the front end shakes violently side to side and you think you are going to die! :rotfl2:

It seems like this is due to weak front end parts. Usually the tie rod ends, but you've replaced those. That is why I mention the other front end parts. I think normally the TRE get the most abuse and usually go first, but there are stresses on the other parts.

I'm not sure what assistance you have available where you live, but I would just take mine to a mechanic, or front end place, and have them check all the front end parts.

My mechanic checked mine at 100k and he was shocked that everything was so tight. They basically took a big a$$ screwdriver (3 feet long) and stressed all the front end parts looking for movement. They used the screwdriver like a crowbar. I didn't know what to look for but from watching him it looked pretty simple. I don't know how much movement is too much though. To be safe I think if I saw any, I'd replace the part.

COSXJFAN
11-03-2009, 12:25 PM
Death wobble (DW), can be cause by MANY different things in the front end. Make sure that all of your steering linkage is tight, as well as the steering box itself. If they are all tight, then move on to the track, or panhard bar. If either of the joints on the ends are loose, you can have DW. From there, move on to the ball joints and suspension linkage. Check your alignment, and your wheel balance too. Unfortunately, DW is a very broad problem, with only one symptom!! I just rebuilt the ENTIRE front end of my XJ because of worn out parts, and DW!!

xj4life2
11-03-2009, 03:49 PM
I agree with everything cosxjfan said except I/we always start with the track bar , it seems to be the culprit 90% of the time. Good Luck

cheap jeep
11-03-2009, 06:11 PM
Did they spin balance your tires or bubble balance them? I don't know if it would make a difference,but it's a thought.

4.3LXJ
11-03-2009, 08:00 PM
I agree with everything cosxjfan said except I/we always start with the track bar , it seems to be the culprit 90% of the time. Good Luck

That is the first place to start. Have someone start the engine and move the steering wheel back and forth while you look at the front end parts. If the body moves and the wheels don't it is generally because the track bar bushing is worn out and needs to be replaced. Many times the steering box needs to be adjusted so it is tight. If the steering shaft moves a little and the pitman arm does not, then it needs adjustment. I looked at one locally the other day and found the steering box was actually loose on the frame. If everything is tight, you will be able to cure it.

xjmedic4x4
11-08-2009, 04:20 AM
thanks guys for your support i got fix my xj 97 and running so smoothly - track bar was change - tie rod ends was change - wheel balancing and alingnment done - steering wheel got leakage and it was done. wheels have rotated.. quite a little bucks went on = one piece tierod at 50 dirhams x 3 pcs. canada made - track bar at 120 dhs. mexican made all original parts..labor 300 dhs.- whell balance and alignment at 150 dhs. iranian style - 1 dollar -is to 3.68 dhs. really appriciate your help ....god bless ...all d best.

BlueXJ
11-08-2009, 08:04 AM
I have had DW on my XJ only once and it was a worn tre on drivers side of trackbar. So I agree to look there first. I have since changed out all CA bushings before the lift and new CAs. No DW for years now.

4.3LXJ
11-08-2009, 10:45 AM
I only had it once after my 6" lift. (it is really taller, but that is what they call it). I adjusted the castor angle and it hasn't been back since.