PDA

View Full Version : Slipping Transmission

Mudderoy
11-02-2009, 07:20 PM
Well several of you know about just how awsome my Jeep is at taking corners. I did so today coming home and I used it as an opportunity to pass a slow a$$ Jeep Liberty that swung wide in the same turn.

I hit this gas hard as I made the 90 degree turn from inside right to inside right and the engine rev'd and it took off. I was on dry pavement and in full time 4x4. At first I thought I had broke loose the tires (it will in the rain) but then started processing what could have caused the reving, and it has to be a transmission slip.

I figure the fluid all went to one side of the transmission and the clutches started slipping.

I'll check the fluid here in a bit or tomorrow after I get to work. I'm hopeful that it's just low. I don't get any slipping hitting it hard going forward, and other than what I just experienced in that turn, I've never noticed it slipping.

Oh well, I guess I'll be teaching myself how to rebuild an auto-transmission here soon. No way am I going to pay $1k $2k to have it rebuilt.

4.3LXJ
11-02-2009, 07:43 PM
They aren't all that hard to do. You just need to take it slow and keep all those parts in order on a wide bench.

muddeprived
11-03-2009, 07:28 AM
Last time my transmission slipped I had a bad torque converter.

And dude, you need a race car. :rotfl2:

Mudderoy
11-11-2009, 01:22 AM
Well I'm thinking that the tranmission may not have been slipping. I think it's a full time 4x4 thing.

When I'm making a hard 90 degree turn and going to full power just out of the turn, one of the front tires is spinning. I think that what I thought was a rpm rev was a front tire spinning and what I felt was that tire gaining traction.

I noticed it yesterday taking the same turn just not as hard on the skinny petal. I don't notice it at all in 2wd.

The transmission fluid was about a quart low, so at least my fear made me check it and top it off. :D

BlueXJ
11-11-2009, 08:05 AM
The TPS will cause a slipping trans feel as well.

Mudderoy
11-11-2009, 08:55 AM
The TPS will cause a slipping trans feel as well.

Thanks. Mine is less than 2 years old. They can go bad at anytime of course.