PDA

View Full Version : Left Hand Lane Etiquette

Mudderoy
11-02-2009, 09:49 AM
So when you are going from point "A" to point "B" which lane do you choose? I know some of you are lucky enough to have one good lane, so maybe this would only apply when you are in the big city, or out on a 4,6,8 lane highway.

I learned that if you are going a fair distance, over a mile, that you get in the middle lane. If you need to go around slower moving traffic to get the left lane then back in your lane of choice. If it is only a 2 lane then you ride in the right lane, again using the left lane to pass.

I had a discussing with a co-worker about this. He is a very nice man and I was just yacking about something to kill a little time. I was amazed to find out that an otherwise pleasent, level headed person he totally disagreed with me on the left hand lane etiquette.

He felt that if he was doing the speed limit then that was as fast as anyone needed to go. In retrospect I bet that someone that was upset about his "unfair" use of the fast lane probably did one of those quick whip arounds, nearly taking off his front bumper. I used to do those 20 years ago. :(

I see a lot of people riding in the left hand lane doing their makeup, talking on the cell phone and leaving a 7 car gap.

When I'm in the left lane I try to move faster, or move out of the way for faster traffic. Generally there isn't faster traffic. ;)

How do you feel about the left hand lane (the fast lane)?

COSXJFAN
11-02-2009, 10:05 AM
I agree 100%!! Actually, in CO, you can get a ticket if you are impeding traffic by riding in the LHL. They passed a law a couple of years back that states the LHL is for passing, and faster traffic. If you are caught just rolling along in the LHL, you get a ticket!! It doesn't matter though, people still do it all of the time!! These have to be the same folks that refuse to grasp the concept of a merge lane, but that is another thread all together!! LOL!!:driving:

Mudderoy
11-02-2009, 10:57 AM
I agree 100%!! Actually, in CO, you can get a ticket if you are impeding traffic by riding in the LHL. They passed a law a couple of years back that states the LHL is for passing, and faster traffic. If you are caught just rolling along in the LHL, you get a ticket!! It doesn't matter though, people still do it all of the time!! These have to be the same folks that refuse to grasp the concept of a merge lane, but that is another thread all together!! LOL!!:driving:

OMG! I nearly ran over a lady that stopped (I mean DEAD A$$ STOPPED) on the entrance ramp to I-10! That was back when I had my full sized Chevy truck and the 36" tires. It was all I could do to get it stopped.

COSXJFAN
11-02-2009, 11:26 AM
I have NEVER seen the amount of complete idiots anywhere else when it comes to merge lanes here. I mean you have 200 yards of perfectly good lane in which to get up to speed, and safely merge into traffic, and some idiot will pull up and STOP!!! ARRRGGGH, man, it ticks me off!! I have the worst intersection in town to deal with every day when I leave work, so it's something I see a lot!!:boohoo:

BlueXJ
11-02-2009, 11:38 AM
Well I, only driving older slower junk, stay in thr right hand lane unless I plan on passing an even slower vehicle, Or to circumvent a rear end collision of myself and a turning vehicle. I only trust my Z71 at higher speeds are drive it but few places because it fails to pass a gas station without wanting a drink from their pumps.

xj4life2
11-02-2009, 11:38 AM
I use the left lane for passing other than that I'm in the right lane. Thats proper edicate in my opinion. At least for up here in the citys its just a big free for all

COSXJFAN
11-02-2009, 11:47 AM
OK, so it seems that even us Jeepers get the way the system is SUPPOSED to work!! So, that does it, all other vehicles need to be crushed, and only owners of Jeep vehicles are allowed on the roads!!

BlueXJ
11-02-2009, 11:55 AM
Don't want my Z71 crushed or my Miata either. I had forgotten about it but I rarely get to drive it since the wife stole it from me. She uses the Miata as her DD nowadays. Need to fix her old MB so she won't rack up the miles on the rollerskate.(Miata)

COSXJFAN
11-02-2009, 11:59 AM
So, that does it, all other vehicles need to be crushed, and only owners of Jeep vehicles are allowed on the roads!!

This "new" plan will let you keep the other cars. You own a Jeep, and there fore, are "smart" enough to occupy our roads!!

4.3LXJ
11-02-2009, 12:00 PM

Here in CA you can get one too. However traffic in the left lane generally does around 80 mph. The only people that hog that lane is truckers trying to pass another truck doing about 1 mph faster. Very frustrating.

COSXJFAN
11-02-2009, 12:02 PM
I noticed that while in the SAC area. If you are in the LHL you'd better be going 90, or you are going to get somebody on your six real fast!!

4.3LXJ
11-02-2009, 12:04 PM
At 90 they start writing tickets. 85 is common though. A dd Xj needs to move to use the freeways here.

N1TZU
11-02-2009, 05:27 PM
Left lane is for passing last I knew,Thats how I learned to drive,Maybe the others that don't see it that way took driving school somewhere off this planet.......

Melissa
11-02-2009, 05:59 PM
I only use the left lane to pass, most the time I'm the one getting passed while in the right lane :rotfl2:

Dirt Dogg Rydas
11-02-2009, 11:47 PM
I voted for the middle answer only cuz I don't drive the jeep over 50 (usually).
But if I was in my car i would be flipping myself the bird.

Oh and the cool thing is they just recently made a new law here in El Paso that doesn't let freight trucks in the laft lane on I10.

Mudderoy
11-03-2009, 01:29 AM
I voted for the middle answer only cuz I don't drive the jeep over 50 (usually).

Oh and the cool thing is they just recently made a new law here in El Paso that doesn't let freight trucks in the laft lane on I10.

:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

Melissa
11-03-2009, 01:29 AM

Really?? Why don't you go over 50?

I usually never go over 69, but when I head to Costco in Washington, the speed limit is 75, so I set the cruise on 74, but I don't like that speed.

Dirt Dogg Rydas
11-03-2009, 12:33 PM
Really?? Why don't you go over 50?

I usually never go over 69, but when I head to Costco in Washington, the speed limit is 75, so I set the cruise on 74, but I don't like that speed.

just to not get the temp to high once I get to about 65 the temp starts to increase a little.

:smiley-laughing021:I didn't know we could throw eggs and stuff at each others avatars:smiley-laughing021:

2000XJ
11-03-2009, 02:47 PM
Here in Jersey the highway is a free-for-all, if you're in the left lane and not passing someone, you will get eaten alive. Best bet is that if you're going to do the speed limit stay as far right as possible, if you're going to go 5-10 MPH over then get in the center lane if there is one, and anything faster stays in the left lane. I hate drivers that just sit in the left lane and hold up traffic. Typically I'm in the right lane/center with the cruise control on - saves on gas a bit. If I'm doing 75-80 I can literally see the gas needle moving.

KennyB
11-03-2009, 03:49 PM
Drive in Atlanta.... We have i-75, I-20, I 285 loop and I -85

You better run 75-80 or ya get run over!! I dig it! I see people all the time, they haul *** to the end of the on ramp, them almost stop gettin on the interstate instead of blending in..... cause numerous wrecks...

Here in GA the truckers cannot run in the fast lane..... only on the 2 lane interstate...then they can pass only,

Indiana Jeep
11-04-2009, 01:07 PM
I try to avoid the Interstate here in Indiana as much as possible. Too many truckers weaving back and forth and causing wrecks. Had a tanker truck explode last week because the driver was going too fast and tried to merge at the last minute. Shut I69 down and caused a lot of damage to ramps and road, not to mention the other vehicles that were there. Somehow, thank God, no one was killed.

96xj
11-04-2009, 01:25 PM
just to not get the temp to high once I get to about 65 the temp starts to increase a little.

:smiley-laughing021:I didn't know we could throw eggs and stuff at each others avatars:smiley-laughing021:

sounds like you need a new fan clutch :smiley-scared002:

Mudderoy
11-06-2009, 09:36 AM
Ok here ya go.

A lady pulls out from the center turning lane into the fast lane.

She's driving 10 mph less than EVERYBODY else, and yes I'm behind her.

After a few seconds I see why she's driving slower, she's busy with her GPS!

No reason to get this set while in the turning lane are while in the driveway of your house, just do in in Houston morning rush hour(s) traffic and oh in the fast lane.

I flash the lights at her after another 10 seconds waiting for her to finish. She actually, noticibley speeds up! Of course now I'm waiting for the slam on the brakes paypack for me expressing my displeasure.

Nope, now at full traffic speed she reaches up and continues playing with her GPS. I'm waiting for her to hit the person in front of her.

After a 1/2 mile I guess she gets it set, because both hands are down now. Wait she's starting to swerve into the turning lane. Yep 1/2 in and 1/2 in the fast lane. Oh, okay I understand now I see she's looking for a CD!

Some people are just to ****ing stupid to have anything that distracts them from driving. They don't know when or where to use these things! It idiots like this that cause congress to pass laws that effect all of us. Laws that police can't enforce.

Honestly the major issue I had with this driver wasn't what she was doing, but that she was in front of me impeding my progress. Hell I don't mind people being in front of me but be consistent in your driving. When you drive irratic that means that I have to pay closer attention to your dumb-a$$ instead of having a more relaxed drive.

This is why many years ago I would go around these people and drive erratically in front of them.

Oh one more thing. If you have a 30,000 foot center turning lane, and you're going to turn left, does it make sense to you to slow down 10, 20 mph, sometimes coming close to stoping to MERGE into that center turning lane?!?!?!?! I mean WTF! Do you slow down to change lanes?!?!?! People are idiots!

I gotta get the cameras set up on my rig to I can make videos. My luck it will be used against me though. :smiley-laughing021:

4.3LXJ
11-06-2009, 10:57 AM
I hear ya. My favorite one is a short steep on ramp here where everyone merges in at 35-40 mph. I unleash the horses and hit it at 65 and slide right in.