PDA

View Full Version : Smartphones

BlackYeti
03-01-2015, 12:28 AM
So the time is coming up for an upgrade of my current phone. A while back there was a negative comment about my phone that some podcast host made, so I figured I may get a good suggestion from here.
My current phone is a Razr HD, overall the phone has been great. The only issue that I had with it was the ear speaker, first phone was returned just to get a refurbished one less than a month of ownership. The refurbished phone lasted a year and a half and the speaker went out again. I found a youtube video on how to replace it and fixed it my self. Next month is time to replace the Razr with one that has a fully functioning speaker and a fresh operating system.

I would like to stick with the android system and am not particular to any certain brands. I would like something that is dust resistant at least. I work in a fab shop with grinding and welding going on along with dirt and whatnot from regular construction jobs. I believe it is the dust and debris getting to the speaker and making it malfunction and eventually quit on me.

Anyway, what can you suggest to me? I have searched a bit and found a couple, but some real life experience would be great. I am with verizon and plan on renewing through them next month.

Thanks, Chris

bluedragon436
03-01-2015, 01:27 AM
I have a Samsung Galaxy S5 and love it, had an S3 and loved it too... it went through hell during the two and half years of ownership and held up quite well, so hopefully this one will stand up to it as well.. If you like the Droid OS, Samsung has the S6 supposedly being released in March... so it's another option to you.. The S5 is not fully waterproof.. but is supposed to stand up to limited water submersion for a short time.. I haven't tried it yet, and don't plan on it... but might be something the S6 will improve on...

Mudderoy
03-01-2015, 03:22 AM
I had a Motorola Razr for a couple of years, did great, it was for making phone calls and taking crappy pictures. My first smart phone was a Motorola, what a piece of crap.

I've had a Galaxy S2 for years... very happy with it. At $600 and $700 I'm not planning on getting a new phone anytime soon. I can just get a S2 off of ebay. ;o)

autotech98
03-01-2015, 07:29 AM
I use a samsung rugby pro. Asked for the toughest phone they had. Ive dropped it .leaned on it .had it in my pocket w nuts and bolts and tools w no problems

Mudderoy
03-01-2015, 08:30 AM
I use a samsung rugby pro. Asked for the toughest phone they had. Ive dropped it .leaned on it .had it in my pocket w nuts and bolts and tools w no problems

I use mine while working on the Jeeps. I've accidently thrown it over my shoulder while laying on the garage floor. I think it was falling out of my hand and I tried to catch it and slapped it over. The case looks bad, but I ordered a replacement from ebay for $9, which I think it about $8 too much, but it will look like new after the swap.

autotech98
03-01-2015, 09:38 AM
Cool

bigjim350
03-01-2015, 03:07 PM
Ive been an android guy ever since I got a smartphone. However this time I switched to the Iphone 6 plus. So far pretty happy with it.....does take some getting use to though. And with the otter box case it has already done pretty good with a few drops.

denverd1
03-01-2015, 04:25 PM
S5 Active here. been a great phone. although I stuck a bunch of music on the phone instead of SD the other day it got slow like it was stuck in granny gear. was pretty frustrating but I've since deleted it all and its back to normal.

bluedragon436
03-01-2015, 09:55 PM
S5 Active here. been a great phone. although I stuck a bunch of music on the phone instead of SD the other day it got slow like it was stuck in granny gear. was pretty frustrating but I've since deleted it all and its back to normal.

I wish I had been able to get the S5 active... but unfortunately Verizon didn't get that option... But the regular S5 seems pretty decent with water seal...

denverd1
03-02-2015, 11:51 AM
i've dropped in water a few times so its been nice to have. although I don't think you could go wrong with the standard one with a good case

Mudderoy
03-03-2015, 06:52 AM

I heard (yesterday I think) that the S5 didn't deliver and with the S6 they've done a complete redesign. My problem I have with the S6? Can't change the battery.

denverd1
03-03-2015, 10:02 AM
Never pulled the batt on my 5. with power saving mode I don't see why someone would need to. can get 10 days out of it

BlackYeti
03-03-2015, 11:28 AM
Sorry I haven't been very active in this thread...
Anywho, I just can't see myself with an S2 and my wife already has an S4... Techy thin ya know.
I have kind of narrowed it down to the S5 because of their durability ratings. BTW the IP rating for the S5 and the S5 active are the same, if anyone is interested I will send a link here in a bit that explains that rating.
Thank you for all your input, it is good to hear that the battery could last for 10 days on the S5.

denverd1
03-03-2015, 12:06 PM
IP rating?

Mudderoy
03-03-2015, 12:08 PM
Never pulled the batt on my 5. with power saving mode I don't see why someone would need to. can get 10 days out of it

I figured that had something to do with it, but batteries do go bad and there are times and places that you could wind up without power or the ability to charge. I just like swappable batteries and additional memory slots.

BlackYeti
03-03-2015, 12:29 PM
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_Code

I just learned about this as well.

KMW-NWXJ
03-03-2015, 02:21 PM
I have a Galaxy S4 in a Trident case. The case makes it a perfect size to hold onto I think. The phone itself is so thin I didn't like it. With the case though it's perfect. It's been dropped and knocked around and I've had no problems at all. Plus the camera is phenomenal.

My employer issued work phone is also a S4, in an Otter Box case. I actually like the Trident case better. Much more comfortable when talking on the phone, and I think it's more cushiony for the phone.

bluedragon436
03-03-2015, 02:38 PM
IP rating?

IP rating for the S5 from what I read on multiple sources is IP67 (S5 rated for 1m of water for up to 30minutes)

IP= IP Ratings (Ingress Protection) A two-digit number established by the International Electro Technical Commission, is used to provide an Ingress Protection rating to a piece of electronic equipment or to an enclosure for electronic equipment.

denverd1
03-03-2015, 03:08 PM
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_Code

I just learned about this as well.

So you're saying the S5 is waterproof as well? As in it can sit in 3' of water for 30 minutes with no case and still function? Thats pretty cool

bluedragon436
03-03-2015, 03:30 PM
So you're saying the S5 is waterproof as well? As in it can sit in 3' of water for 30 minutes with no case and still function? Thats pretty cool

That is what I've found @ multiple spots online, including Samsung's website when I first purchased my S5.. I really wanted the S5 Active since I find myself in all kinds of weather and temperatures (and random rain showers while I'm in the middle of stuff, or on top of the tail of the aircraft) with work, not even including the kayaking and wheeling moisture... but the Active wasn't an option for Verizon... and I was told the regular S5 is just as sealed.. so had to research to verify!!

TallGuyJeep
03-03-2015, 03:50 PM
My friend has the s5, he always drops it in his water cup or calls me while he's in the shower just because he can...

denverd1
03-03-2015, 03:54 PM
My friend has the s5, he always drops it in his water cup or calls me while he's in the shower just because he can...

It's kinda fun. my speakers don't function quite as well right after its had a dip and the screen doesn't know how to act with wet fingers on it, but OTT it functions perfectly!

BlackYeti
03-03-2015, 04:11 PM
That is what I gather from my small bit of research. But nowhere have I seen it advertised.

TallGuyJeep
03-03-2015, 04:17 PM
I have the LG F Flex. I love it! I use it for mainly music and games to pass the time at work... The big curved screen is really really nice for watching movies or gaming. So far It always runs smooth and fast, had it around 6 months.

BlackYeti
03-03-2015, 07:05 PM
I have had lots of luck with LG phones. My sis has the spectrum 2 and wants to get the G3, I had one about 5 years ago and the only problem I had with it was the small storage capacity and the ringer quit working. (my job is hard on speakers appearantly)

I have not seen the LG Flex and it doesn't look like verizon offers it. It looks like they may offer the G Flex 2 in the near future, but it doesn't show on their website. I kind of like the bendy design of it. And it seems like its a durable phone.

TallGuyJeep
03-03-2015, 07:32 PM
It's fun to lay it screen down on the table and flex it. Freaks people out. :) there are some good reviews on YouTube. As for carrier i have t mobile so I'm not much help there. I like t mobile for their free music streaming though, it doesn't cost data to stream. Nice for driving.

BlackYeti
03-03-2015, 09:49 PM
That is nice for music. I have all of my audio media on a sansa clip mp3 player. I listen so much that batteries don't like me very much. Most of it is audio books and podcasts, but at almost 9 hours a day during the week, my phone and sometimes even the small player cant keep up with me.

denverd1
03-05-2015, 06:38 PM
I found that running music through a Bluetooth speaker drastically saves on batt life. Earbuds help too.

BlackYeti
03-06-2015, 12:19 PM
Ear buds are a must here at my job. Its a noisy shop. I haven't found a good set of bluetooth ear buds that are to my liking. That would be awesome though, no wires to snag on everything...

TallGuyJeep
03-06-2015, 12:31 PM
You probably know this but make sure you turn off everything you aren't using like gps, bluetooth, LED notifications, wifi, etc. Also turn on battery saver mode if you have that. Turning on airplane mode helps as well. :)

BlackYeti
03-06-2015, 12:39 PM
Oh yes, I could probably get away with it when the phone was newer. But now if I leave a Wi-Fi connection the phone heats up and I can watch my battery go down in almost no time. Not sure what the issue is but it still doesn't help if I turn off all incoming data (4g and wi-fi). The end of this month cant come any sooner.