PDA

View Full Version : 1990 xj won't turn over, motor free, starter good, solenoid new, relay new, charged

211racing
11-01-2009, 02:05 PM
turn the key and it clicks at the starter, had the starter tested and passed, replaces solenoid and starter relay, battery is fully charged still the same symptoms. any thoughts or advice appreciated. thank you.

Mudderoy
11-01-2009, 04:44 PM
turn the key and it clicks at the starter, had the starter tested and passed, replaces solenoid and starter relay, battery is fully charged still the same symptoms. any thoughts or advice appreciated. thank you.

Well you didn't mention the battery cables, were cleaned, replaced etc...

Melissa
11-01-2009, 04:45 PM
Have you checked your battery terminals?

Battery cable clamps tight, battery posts corrosion free?

Melissa
11-01-2009, 04:46 PM
Hah Mudderoy, you beat me!!

cheap jeep
11-01-2009, 05:34 PM
My dad had a Ford Pinto that wouldn't crank over, we tried everything,we even sanded the bellhousing where the starter bolted on. We run a jumper cable from the neg. battery cable to the starter housing and then it would crank over. Finally we run a cable from the engine block to the a starter bolt and it was fixed. Never did figure out why it was necessary,but it worked so we left it alone.

BlueXJ
11-01-2009, 06:51 PM
cheap jeep has the right idea. Renix era Jeeps in particular are prone to ground issues. Reground the starter with a jumper and check the braided cable at the rear of the cylinder head.

NickM
11-02-2009, 02:04 PM
Primary ground for the starter will be the cable connection behind the dipstick.
Take that one apart, make sure everything is very claen, and reassemble the conection with some oxgard.
The main ground from the battery goes there from the factory.

Nick

Logans91XJ
11-08-2009, 12:50 PM
battery cables!

AJ99
11-13-2009, 12:18 AM
go through all the grounds, check for breaks on the battery cables, and then double check all of the grounds!

pvt.Tadpol xj
11-15-2009, 07:31 AM
Hey scottyadd here, I have a 1991 xj and beleive me I have had my share of starting issues. all of the replies here are very much on target. I would go thru all of the ground contacts and get them really clean. work slowley and carefully just for good maintenance.I found on my 91 xj a main ground leading to the power control center. It is located under or next to my battery and it is a ground wire that is two parts or I should say it unplugs, but can be very difficult. I found that the inside of mine was very corroded so with very light sand paper i cleaned it up and that solved some of jeepy woes

AJ99
11-17-2009, 02:29 AM
try this... Put your key in the ignition and turn it to the on position (where the key sits after you start it). Then under the dash there is a silver box where there are hot wires that are bolted together on it and then there are 3 that are single wires. I cant think which one it is but one goes to the starter, trace it up from the starter to figure out which one it is. It will go through a loom along with the alternator cable and then go along the block to the starter. Well figure out which one it is and then arc it to the battery. See if it will turn over at that point. If it doesnt then there is an issue with the wiring because the starter should at least click. If it does then check all the grounds and check the plug under the battery. If the starter doesnt click at all then there is either an issue in that wire or the power wire that goes to the starter.