PDA

View Full Version : rustys vs rubicon express

alwaysxj
10-29-2009, 11:35 AM
i need some bigger coils for the front of my jeep to make me level.

i have re coils right now and i realy like how they flex and the ride i get out of them. but the rustys coils are cheaper and they have a better size they have a 6.5" and re has some 7.5" i only need the 6.5" to make me level.

i have read on pirate 4x4 and naxja that rustys stuff is :turd: but i have never had anything rustys. is this true?

so what have people run and know are going to hold up let me know if you know any other brand that makes a coil that i can use i just have looked at these two.

Audio222
10-29-2009, 11:44 AM
You can never go wrong with RE.

alwaysxj
10-29-2009, 12:00 PM
You can never go wrong with RE.

that is what i thought but they don't have a 6.5" coil so what about rustys.

Mudderoy
10-29-2009, 12:12 PM
I like Rough Country. If I win the lottery I might buy Rubicon Express, but the bang for the buck, it's Rough Country for me. :thumbsup:

alwaysxj
10-29-2009, 12:19 PM
I like Rough Country. If I win the lottery I might buy Rubicon Express, but the bang for the buck, it's Rough Country for me. :thumbsup:

thanks i will check them out they are a local company for me to so i might just have to go and see at their shop.

Mudderoy
10-29-2009, 01:45 PM
thanks i will check them out they are a local company for me to so i might just have to go and see at their shop.

Well don't forget about Ron (4wheelingplus.com) here on xjtalk. xjtalk member discounts! ;)

4.3LXJ
10-29-2009, 01:54 PM
You can not always go by the advertised lift. For instance I have a pair of Skyjacker 6" coils on the front of my XJ. When I put them on, the front was 5" higher than the Skyjacker 3" coils I had previously. I called them and we took measurements and they were right on where they should be. So I ended up with 7.5" on a supposed 6" lift. It measures out to within 3/4" of what a RE 7.5" is as measured on another XJ. I suggest calling the manufacturer and verifying measurements before you buy.

BlueXJ
10-31-2009, 07:38 PM
Rubicon vs Rusty's is like................................

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n157/rreeseiii/Bulldozer.jpg

vs

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm203/feckert/tricycle.jpg

firehawk
10-31-2009, 09:40 PM
Nothing wrong with Rustys parts. He WILL kill you on shipping though. The VAST majority of people bashing Rustys have NEVER run any of his parts, and are basing their opinions on postings by others. EVERYONE'S parts fail even the god all mighty :pee:Rubicon Express. It seems to be in the "in crowd" one needs to trash Rustys. It get's old after awhile.

RE is having problems with their control arm bushings from what I've read. Humm.... I'm still waiting for my Rustys control arms to fail.......:D

There are MANY good manufacturers out there, not just RE.

BlueXJ
10-31-2009, 10:51 PM
My point was the giant vs the little guy, more than the best vs the junk. I have friends with Rusty's stuff and I have only seen one failure a trackbar. Poor weld came loose and caused no damage since it was on a trail.

xjjeepthing
11-01-2009, 06:36 AM
I have a mix of lift parts. Rubicon,Rustys,BDS and Skyjacker. buy and run the best parts that you can afford. I think everyone makes good and bad. Rustys shipping will be cheaper if you call them and order instead of using the website

BlueXJ
11-01-2009, 11:40 AM
Good point about using multiple sources and picking the best that you can afford.

Logans91XJ
11-01-2009, 03:14 PM
I have several buddies that run RE and Rusty's most of them really like Rustys stuff but they seem to always lean towards RE for control arms... For the price its really hard to beat Rusty's and yeah their shipping seems pretty high. I might just run RE because they are located 10 miles from my house and I wouldn't have to deal with shipping just Sales Tax

I have been looking at
Clayton Off Road
http://claytonoffroad.com/index.html
and
Iron Rock Offroad
http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=IROR&Category_Code=PFX

muddeprived
11-03-2009, 07:51 AM
Rusty's springs are "ok". They aren't the greatest nor are they the worst but they will do the job. My buddy and I both run their coil springs. They are a bit stiff but hold up well to all the weight i've thrown on the jeep.

On the other hand, rubicon express coil springs are some of the best. But my personal favorite springs are old man emu and skyjacker. They are soft and smooth.

At heights above 6" you want a stiff coil spring to keep lean to a minimum. Pay attention to spring rates and choose one that matches the rear and also can handle the weight of aftermarket accessories so you have a balanced ride.

Mudderoy
11-03-2009, 09:27 AM
The last 3 episodes of Extreme 4x4, Rusty's has either been mentioned 10 times, or "Rusty" has appeared on the show. I guess this means prices at Rusty's will be going up, and/or shipping. It's hard to imagine the shipping being higher though! :smiley-laughing021:

muddeprived
11-03-2009, 11:13 AM
The last 3 episodes of Extreme 4x4, Rusty's has either been mentioned 10 times, or "Rusty" has appeared on the show. I guess this means prices at Rusty's will be going up, and/or shipping. It's hard to imagine the shipping being higher though! :smiley-laughing021:

Rusty's is a sponsor so they are paid to advertise them. Their shipping is ridiculous though...

That last episode was kinda dumb though (re-run). All Ian talked about was the 14 bolt axles. Big deal...and look how badly he got hung up on them.....FAIL. And that hard top on the long wheelbase jeep looked kinda.....weird.

Mudderoy
11-03-2009, 11:20 AM
Rusty's is a sponsor so they are paid to advertise them. Their shipping is ridiculous though...

That last episode was kinda dumb though (re-run). All Ian talked about was the 14 bolt axles. Big deal...and look how badly he got hung up on them.....FAIL. And that hard top on the long wheelbase jeep looked kinda.....weird.

Oh I know Rusty's was paying them. lol they paid in money and parts I am sure. :patriot:

The 14 bolt axles were cool especially how they modifed that rear axle into a front axle. They needed larger tires for them though, I think.

Oh I know. I've only ever seen one scrambler, thought it was goofy then, so I'm not sure what it was supposed to have on it. I think anything (or nothing) would have been better than what they put on there.

Love that show though. I wish that girl was still on there.

muddeprived
11-03-2009, 11:42 AM
Oh I know Rusty's was paying them. lol they paid in money and parts I am sure. :patriot:

The 14 bolt axles were cool especially how they modifed that rear axle into a front axle. They needed larger tires for them though, I think.

Oh I know. I've only ever seen one scrambler, thought it was goofy then, so I'm not sure what it was supposed to have on it. I think anything (or nothing) would have been better than what they put on there.

I second that. Jessi was a big part of the show and since she left I kinda lost interest in it. Hot momma.....

alwaysxj
11-03-2009, 11:50 AM

x2:thumbsup:

DETOURS
11-03-2009, 06:49 PM
NIETHER.......

Get yourself a set of ACO's!

I collasped springs constantly, with ACO's you can readjust as needed and keep your steering wheel straight! Use them with your existing springs.

ACO's!! :thumbsup: Chicks dig'um!!

ssj123
11-04-2009, 12:09 AM
i ran a rustys lift on my old xj and had no issues with it. the parts were quality and and prices werent bad IMO. i had the 3in AAL kit with the 180lb front coils. the ride wasnt bad and i had no sagging issues even after alot of abuse. ive never ran rubicon express parts on either of my xjs but i will say i havent heard any bad reviews them either.

Logans91XJ
11-04-2009, 12:16 AM
ACO's???

Adjustable Coil Overs ? Do any of the websites advertise the Spring Rate? Anyone using Progressive springs?

And I am looking to go to a 4.5" lift and I want to run a Rock Hard 4x4 front bumper what would be good springs?

NIETHER.......

I collasped springs constantly, with ACO's you can readjust as needed and keep your steering wheel straight! Use them with your existing springs.

ssj123
11-04-2009, 04:22 PM
rustys advertises their spring rates. like i said in my post above i ran the 180lb front coils and my front bumper winch combo was definitly in the 100-125lbs range conservatively speaking and even after a a ton of daily driving and wheeling i never had sagging issues. im sure you can find out other companies spring rates also but rustys is the only one i know of who has it listed right on their site.

Mudderoy
11-04-2009, 04:32 PM
rustys advertises their spring rates. like i said in my post above i ran the 180lb front coils and my front bumper winch combo was definitly in the 100-125lbs range conservatively speaking and even after a a ton of daily driving and wheeling i never had sagging issues. im sure you can find out other companies spring rates also but rustys is the only one i know of who has it listed right on their site.

From 2007...
Rough Country;
3 inch coil spring is 150lb per inch
4.5 coils is 155lb per inch
6.5 coils are 180lb per inch

muddeprived
11-04-2009, 04:34 PM
From 2007...
Rough Country;
3 inch coil spring is 150lb per inch
4.5 coils is 155lb per inch
6.5 coils are 180lb per inch

That's what I was told by Jason on Naxja. What's weird is that everyone says their 4.5" coils are stiff, yet they have the same spring rate as stock coils.

Mudderoy
11-04-2009, 04:44 PM
That's what I was told by Jason on Naxja. What's weird is that everyone says their 4.5" coils are stiff, yet they have the same spring rate as stock coils.

lol, if you didn't already figure it out that is where I got the information, from Jason, from his NAXJA (http://www.naxja.org/) post in 2007. In that same post he said something about their shocks causing the rough country ride.

muddeprived
11-04-2009, 04:50 PM
lol, if you didn't already figure it out that is where I got the information, from Jason, from his NAXJA (http://www.naxja.org/) post in 2007. In that same post he said something about their shocks causing the rough country ride.

Ahh no wonder. DUH me. :smiley-laughing021:

I'm curious how their 2.2 shocks are. They look nice.

Mudderoy
11-04-2009, 04:55 PM
Ahh no wonder. DUH me. :smiley-laughing021:

I'm curious how their 2.2 shocks are. They look nice.

lol no, I thought it was more of a duh me. Well if that was from 2007 I may have the 2.2 shocks. I guess I'll have to research it, or do something simple and just ask my buddy at 4wheelingplus. :rotfl2:

I actually bought a pair of the RC nitro shocks (front) a couple of months ago. Every time I work on the Jeep I'm too ****ing tired to put them on! :thumbdown:

alwaysxj
11-04-2009, 05:22 PM
NIETHER.......

thanks i think i will go with those i think they would work best for me.

Mudderoy
11-04-2009, 05:25 PM
thanks i think i will go with those i think they would work best for me.

Howler_GT sells some metal spacers that do the same thing and are about $170 cheaper, they are just not adjustable.

DETOURS
11-04-2009, 07:13 PM
Go to short track racing catolog and you can buy them for $40.00, but they are'nt the same animal when it comes to adjustabilty/mantainance or resale value.......Get The Good Stuff!! :thumbsup:

muddeprived
11-04-2009, 07:49 PM
lol no, I thought it was more of a duh me. Well if that was from 2007 I may have the 2.2 shocks. I guess I'll have to research it, or do something simple and just ask my buddy at 4wheelingplus. :rotfl2:

I actually bought a pair of the RC nitro shocks (front) a couple of months ago. Every time I work on the Jeep I'm too ****ing tired to put them on! :thumbdown:

You have the nitros laying around? what shocks do u have on the jeep now?

Mudderoy
11-04-2009, 10:56 PM
You have the nitros laying around? what shocks do u have on the jeep now?

The ones that came with the RC kit.

muddeprived
11-05-2009, 05:29 AM
The ones that came with the RC kit.

So you must got the basic Hydro shocks. The nitro shocks are a firmer and might benefit you since you drive yours hard on the street.

These are sweet though:

http://www.roughcountry.com/performance_shock.html

Mudderoy
11-05-2009, 09:23 AM
So you must got the basic Hydro shocks. The nitro shocks are a firmer and might benefit you since you drive yours hard on the street.

These are sweet though:

http://www.roughcountry.com/performance_shock.html

Yeah I saw a little bit of unusual wear on them and thought the nitro shocks might help eliminate wheel hop, if that was what was going on. I ordered the shocks, had the wheels balanced and dropped the pressure a little on the tires. I don't see the tread wear now, but I'm still going to put the shocks on, someday. I'll buy a pair for the back later.