PDA

View Full Version : WJ front driveshaft conversion

LGrocks
12-31-2014, 10:07 AM
I'm finally converting my 2000 WJ from the stock Rzeppa/Rzeppa front driveshaft to a double cardan u-joint shaft. The shaft I bought is from a 95 ZJ 5.2 v8 and has a "ball socket" looking u-joint cap on the T-case end. It's inside the double cardan joint. Can I get rid of the ball socket cap when I put in new u-joints? I plan to use u-bolts to attach to the new t-case yoke.

Thanks much!

4.3LXJ
12-31-2014, 11:28 AM
No, you cannot get rid of that. It is completely necessary to keep the double u joint end from flopping around. It is rebuildable, so you might as well do that part as well

LGrocks
12-31-2014, 12:50 PM
No, you cannot get rid of that. It is completely necessary to keep the double u joint end from flopping around. It is rebuildable, so you might as well do that part as well

Dang, I'm glad I asked. Thanks for the info! AND, thanks for your contribution to the podcast. Always very informative.

The bolts are missing for that T-case end. Does 5/16-24 x 1.25" sound right?

4.3LXJ
12-31-2014, 01:11 PM
Thanks. Yes, thread size and pitch is right. Can't remember for sure on the length. IIRC, mine are 1.5". But you have a different size yoke than I do. You might take a straw or something and stick it down the hole and measure that way

LGrocks
12-31-2014, 05:48 PM
You got it. 5/16-24 x 1.5" long is the right size. Thanks again.

Probably be a couple of weeks but I'll post here when I get the install done. As long as this shaft works correctly I'll post its Chrysler part # and some measurements from it. I couldn't find a definitive answer on the net about what shaft is best so maybe this will help out some other WJ owners.

4.3LXJ
12-31-2014, 07:47 PM
That would be great Eric. Post in the Tech section. But if you have the info, I will approve it. Not just anyone gets to post there

LGrocks
09-24-2015, 12:39 PM
That would be great Eric. Post in the Tech section. But if you have the info, I will approve it. Not just anyone gets to post there

Steve, Im finally getting around to posting some info about this DS conversion on the WJ. Should I post here? Or in the regular tech section?

4.3LXJ
09-24-2015, 02:05 PM
If you have it ready to post as a full article, then put it in the technical how to section. It won't show up immediately until a mod approves it. Make sure you tell us what parts you used and how you did it with lots of pics

LGrocks
09-25-2015, 09:00 PM
Ok Steve, will do. May be a stupid question but what do you mean by "full article" ready to post. I haven't posted a how too before. Can I right it all up, with picture links embedded, in something like MS Word? Then copy & past it in a post.

Or do I just post it like I would normally post?

I'm having an issue with my laptop overheating and shutting down at a time of it's choosing. I'd hate to spend time building a nice post only to have it lost by this crap old computer.

XJ Wheeler
09-25-2015, 09:12 PM
Ok Steve, will do. May be a stupid question but what do you mean by "full article" ready to post. I haven't posted a how too before. Can I right it all up, with picture links embedded, in something like MS Word? Then copy & past it in a post.

Or do I just post it like I would normally post?

I'm having an issue with my laptop overheating and shutting down at a time of it's choosing. I'd hate to spend time building a nice post only to have it lost by this crap old computer.

Sure, you can write it up and copy and paste. I admit to doing it many times. Being another with a problematic computer, i try to save my work after about every paragraph. ;)

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

GoneWithTheWind
09-25-2015, 09:27 PM
:Dhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PL1U__4as20wEQaaKAIRM4fRD6x20XWbxA&t=34&v=VQl68ZbMWrM

GoneWithTheWind
09-25-2015, 09:33 PM
I tried to put up a link to bleepin jeep, he's got a few vids on double cardans.