PDA

View Full Version : Wiring lights together

TallGuyJeep
12-11-2014, 02:45 PM
So I have four KC Daylighters (155w iirc) mounted on the front bumper, two of which I have wired to the battery. I would like to wire the additional two lights to the wiring harness that is already installed as I'm running out of room with lights and the winch. I would like to wire them so I don't have to run additional wires to the battery terminals (running out of room again) and use the same switch to turn on/off all four lights. I guess what I need help figuring out is where I should tie in the second pair of lights and how, and if I need to upgrade relay/switch/fuse to run them all on the same system. Figured I should ask the experts so any help much appreciated! :thumbsup:

denverd1
12-11-2014, 02:56 PM
"wired to the battery" like through a relay?

all your lights and accessories should go through a relay. you can run them all to one switch if you would like, but you're going to toast switches pretty quick the way you have things set up.

also look into power distribution blocks for hooking up crap to the battery. wire the block up and start hooking stuff to the block.

TallGuyJeep
12-11-2014, 03:05 PM
I guess I should clarify. I meant wired to the battery as in they powered and working. They are wired through the supplied harness with relay and fuse. I can snap some pictures once I get off work if that helps.

denverd1
12-11-2014, 03:10 PM
makes sense. Check the amp draw for the harness, fuse and relay. Hellas max out at 2 per 30A relay. do the math to see if you can add lights to the current harness, my guess would be no.

so add relays and use the current switch wire to control them

TallGuyJeep
12-11-2014, 04:37 PM
Sorry I'm such a noob when it comes to wiring. Do you mean add a second relay? Would I still have to wire the leads to the battery until I get a power distribution block? I have a second identical harness that came with the lights so would I use that until the relay then splice it in to the switch wire and leads to the battery?

XJ Wheeler
12-12-2014, 02:36 AM
I wouldn't use the same harness for all four if they are in fact 155w because the wiring and relay are probably no where near capable. So personally if you want the same switch to run all four you just have to wire up the second harness just as you would anyway and just splice in the wire from the switch as you mentioned. This way the load will be split between the two harnesses but the same switch activates all of them.

NW99XJ
12-12-2014, 10:03 AM
I would be careful though....
Most relays are only good for 30-40 amps MAX...
So just make sure that each pair of lights has their own relay... both relays can still be triggered by a single switch though.

prerunner1982
12-12-2014, 04:11 PM
If you are running out of room on the battery to connect wires, where the positive wire from the battery connects to the PDC (Power Distribution Center) there is a stud, you can also connect wires there. The PDC is the Fuse/Relay box close to the battery on the passenger side inner fender.

prerunner1982
12-12-2014, 04:16 PM
Like this...

http://www.xjtalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5419&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1400879823

http://www.xjtalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5420&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1400879823

TallGuyJeep
12-12-2014, 04:19 PM
That's awesome. Good to know, thanks!! I've got a bunch of wiring to do this weekend i want to get my light bar harness in too so when my mount arrives it will be pretty much ready to go once mounted. :)

xjzaped
12-13-2014, 01:22 PM
The wiring kc supplies is 16 ga. You want at least 14 ga for 150W. 12 ga would be optimal. Another thing you could do, bundle the 16 ga. harnesses in a plastic sheath. It'll handle the amperage but still look clean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TallGuyJeep
12-13-2014, 07:22 PM
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/12/13/737f2c3dd035780f416e4af6da3ac53e.jpg

Thanks for all the help everyone! I ended up using the second harness wired to the PDC and i soldered the switch wires together so they use the same switch. You guys rock!