PDA

View Full Version : XJ TALK SHOW! 3rd Give Away! NOCO Genius Boost

Mudderoy
10-23-2014, 10:23 AM
http://www.geniuschargers.com/boost/images/boost_full_page_spread_mustang.jpg

Thanks to the fine folks at NOCO (http://nocousa.com/) we will be giving away several of their new Genius Boost (http://www.geniuschargers.com/boost/) jump starters!

To win, all you need to do is post your BEST dead battery story right here!

A winner will be selected and announced on the XJ TALK SHOW! (http://xjtalkshow.com)every other week during the Amazon You Bought What Segment!

Post, Listen, and WIN with :xjtalk: and the XJ TALK SHOW! :patriot:

** Available to continental United States only.

OneArmArrowSlinger
11-21-2014, 05:36 PM
Sitting in a corn field right now with a dead deer and a dead battery in my cousins Jeep. More to come. Waiting on a jump.

autotech98
11-21-2014, 06:31 PM
At least you have some Venison!!!

soonerdg
11-21-2014, 08:12 PM
This is a bit of a different jump start story but its absolutely true.

In 1992, my sophomore year of college some friends and I decided to take my boat out to do some skiing, tubing, drinking and ogling girls in bikinis. 8 of us load up in my 1986 XJ, stop by my parents house to get the boat and make the 3 hr drive to the lake. It was a great sunny day and the girls were looking fantastic in their shorts and bikini tops. So we get to the lake and I get the boat all ready to go. I jump in and my buddy backs the boat down the ramp, I hit the key and......nothing! Dead Battery!!! What to do now??? Now way we're cutting short our day of fun in the sun. So we pull the boat up to the bank and decide we'll try to jump it. Couple of problems with this though. One boats don't have alternators to charge the battery. See even after we get it started we won't be able to shut if off the rest of the day. This of course never crossed our minds. Second problem is the boat is 18 feet long and the battery is at the very back. You can pull the boat to shore backward because it's an outboard motor. So the solution is......pull the jeep down into the water far enough for the jumper cables to reach the back of the boat. Hey, great idea.....right? Well that's what we did. So we have the front tires of the jeep about 10 feet into the lake. No problem the water is only about 2 feet deep out there. We hook up the cables and fire the boat right up. SWEET!!! Now we're in business. And that friends is the very last thing that went right. So i'm in the boat and I have one of the ladies (damn she looked good in that bikini! Hold on let me just take in that memory for a minute) anyway I have her get in the jeep to back it out of the water. The one and only serious mistake I made was I had her put the jeep in 4WD. Had I not done that we would have been in for a wonderful day on the lake. But anyway, she puts it in 4WD and I tell her "just put it in reverse and take your foot off of the break and let it ease itself back" Great plan right? Should be a piece of cake. Well she puts the jeep in reverse, eases her foot off of the break and HAMMERS the gas. So what happens?? Yep, you guessed it....with the Jeep in 4WD and her hitting the gas so aggressively the front tires spun like hell and the front end of the jeep SUNK LIKE A ROCK!!! Water clear up to the top of the grill. And it wasn't moving. Now friends there's stuck.....and then there's STUCK!!!! So here we are with the jeep stuck in the lake...its a weekday so there's not another sole around. So we came up with a solution....we'll use the boat to push the jeep out. Another great idea right? so I back the boat away from the bank, ease it up until I have the front of the boat up against the hood of the jeep. Give it a little throttle, my buddy's in the jeep driving trying to get it to pull itself out. NOTHING! A little more throttle for the boat...NOTHING. A little more throttle for the boat and....ZOOM....up over the hood I go and put the bow of the boat right through the damn windshield. SON OF A BITCH! So now I've got a stuck jeep with a busted windshield and an 18 foot boat on it's hood. Well we manage to push the boat off of the jeep...no damage to the boat. Well at least SOME good news. So now we're really in a pickle. Cause the jeep is sinking deeper by the minute. Well, my grandparents live only about 2 miles away and grandpa has a tractor. So off we go on a two mile walk. We get grandpa down with the tractor but still it's not enough to pull the jeep out. It finally took the tractor, grandma's Isuzu trooper and the neighbors F150 to put the jeep out. it was STUCK. And all that for a simple jump. Damn sure wish I would have had that NOCO Genius Boost that day. We never did get to take the boat out.

prerunner1982
11-23-2014, 09:58 AM
So this one time at band camp........................ohh wait wrong story.

So this one time Josh and I were out running trails well into the night. He ended up high centered on a rock and had to use the winch. The winch strained so hard that it fried his alternator and ran down his battery.
I had left my jumper cables as home and thought for sure Josh had some in the back of his XJ. I opened the hatch and popped open what I thought was a box of tools.... but as I looked through the box for jumper cables I was wrong. Bain mask.... crotchless panties..... vibrating toys....and bacon salt..... what the hell kind of broke back mountain wheeling trip did he have planned. The jumper cables were ultimately at the bottom of the box, though I am not sure why....none the less we got his rig started and on our way. I slept in my locked XJ that night. I am thankful that I didnt have a NOCO booster in this case or I would have been oblivious to what he might have planned, but one sure would come in handy for my own rig.

OneArmArrowSlinger
11-24-2014, 08:53 AM
I do! Got a doe down & a cooler full of meat. We were sitting about 10-15 minutes while I gutted her & we threw her on the hood. Jumped in and click click click... Great, we all know that sound. Was able to get a bit of service to call out. My dad had to come jump start us so we just got to sit for a bit. Battery is pretty much shot in the JK. Sure coulda used a NOCO Genius Boost!!!

nickyg
11-24-2014, 04:49 PM
Dear Penthouse:
I never thought this would happen to me. Opps wrong letter.

A long time ago, back in my collage days. I had the opportunity to study abroad. Cheryl I think her name was. Just kidding it was in the Ukraine.

Well as many of you know The main diet of Nicky G is spaghetti-0’s and garlic toast. So I placed a big bowlful into the microwave and popped a few slices of toast into the toaster oven. There I sat with My mouth watering in anticipation. When all of a sudden there was a loud POP! I was left in darkness. I have forgotten the cardinal rule of student cooking and ran the microwave and the toaster oven at the same time. I learned nothing from Paula Dean.

Not to worry! I whipped out my trusty bag phone to order a pizza. As you might of guessed, it was dead. I then went out to drive into town . As luck would have it I never replaced the battery in my gremlin. I knew I forgot something.
So I sat and waited for someone to come to my rescue. No one ever came. I survived the winter by munching on raw potatoes and cabbage.

If I had The Noco Genius boost. My time in Chernobyl would've been a little more enjoyable and they might’ve asked me back.

I did however receive my masters in tin foil origami and have never forgotten the friendship I made with Natasha the three headed farmers daughter. Ahh the fun we had making big trouble for moose and squirrel.

Brasscatz
11-24-2014, 10:52 PM
Dear Penthouse:
I never thought this would happen to me. Opps wrong letter.

I thought this was gonna be another Carpal tunnel syndrome lawsuit letter to Penthouse....

abramj
11-25-2014, 02:29 PM
Ok, here is my boost story... Back in 1985, I was cruising around in my fine 1979 GMC 4x4 with the inline 6, 4 speed, 4:10 gears, and the not optional manual locking hubs. I was cruising town with my girlfriend sitting next to me and decided to swing by a local used car lot that had some nice trucks. After a loop in the lot, I stopped to wait on traffic to get back on the street and was sitting in a low spot. I dropped the clutch to go, and K-Chunk, it died. I was first in shock as this rig had enough grunt to take off at idle, albeit at 1 mph, so I quickly hit the starter and nothing, not even a click. So I needed to get it farther from the road to pop the hood, so she and I started rocking this bad boy to get it up out of the dip, and finally got it back away from the road and into the lot. So popped the hood to find there was no belt on the alternator. Hmmm, should have had a light instead of the gage. Old school kicked me that night with my mind somewhere else and not watching my gages. So now what? I had jumper cables, but not enough juice to power up the CB to get someone to stop. We walked around to see if we could pop any of the hoods and jump from one of used cars, and maybe let the battery soak a bit, but figured luck was not on my side and favored to not jack with the lot cars. We waited a bit for a friend to come by, but nothing. So, I decided to roll start it if it would, and try to baby it to the shop that I knew was open and would have a belt and some tools, yes a gas station with a mechanic shop open late on the weekends. They did exist back then. So I gave my girl a short course in roll starting and gave it a shot. She gave it a good try, but I couldn't get it going fast enough to start. So we both pushed it back and forth in the lot a few times until it fired. We jumped in and I lugged the motor all the way to the shop and made it. Bought a belt, borrowed a tool, and used one of their cars to start it back up. After our ordeal, I really took a liking to this girl. She jumped right in and helped me, and never complained once. So we dated for a couple more years before getting married. We have been together for 26 years, and have two kids. When my son got his license, I ended up buying him a Jeep Cherokee. He left for college, so now my Daughter is driving it. I get to take it out now and then and really enjoy it. So, if I had a Noco charger back then, I might not have a Cherokee now. Hmmmm.

nickyg
11-25-2014, 03:34 PM
Dear Penthouse:

A long time ago, back in my collage days.

I just saw that I misspelt college. I guess it was money well spent??

4.3LXJ
11-25-2014, 05:13 PM
Collage is a form of art :D

abebehrmann
11-26-2014, 09:34 AM
Battery is pretty much shot in the JK.

Well THERE'S your problem! Shoulda took the XJ!

Mudderoy
12-03-2014, 10:33 AM
The 3rd giveaway is this Thursday! Get your stories in if you want to have a chance to win!

autotech98
12-03-2014, 05:45 PM
Back when i was married to my ex wife we had an 86 chrysler lebaron.My ex had a habit of forgetting to turn her lights off when she went to work.The lebaron had a chime that would tell you if the lights were still on when you took the key out of the ingnition.This i explained several times....to no luck.If i had a NOCO Genius boost she could have jumped the car and i wouldnt had to have drive 22 miles round trip several times a month to jump her car....:sad0147:

xj-jake
12-04-2014, 11:19 AM
My inlaws are getting a new trailer moved on to their property. To place it where they wanted it we needed to cut down a few trees. The problem is there's sheds and garages and a overhead powerline where we need to drop them. So we used the winch on the jeep to pull them where they would need to fall. The first 2 went fine, right where we wanted them for the most part, the last however was a different story. 70' tall elm tree leaning right for the power line.

So there we were. Me and my 8 fingered father in law trying to cut this tree down so it won't knock out power for half the county. He climbed about 30 feet up the tree while I spooled out about 80' of cable on the winch to pull it back against the lean away from the power line. He starts cutting while I keep tension on the tree and I notice the jeep starting to slide the wrong way. We shut down the saw to re evaluate the situation that was getting worse by the second. I cant take the tension off the tree or it'll fall on the power line. If I can't pull it backwards, me and the jeep are gonna go for a ride thanks to the tree falling on the power line. Our last resort to keep this from going extremely bad was a small tree about 10" in diameter in front of the jeep about 20 feet. So I winch up to the tree and put the bumper against it to have something to pull against. At this point we'd been winching for a while and even though the jeep was running the winch draws 300 amps and now I'm using ALL the power left to pull the tree down in an EXTREMELY sketchy situation. Last hurrah, a few more cuts with the saw and I'm able to start pulling the tree toward me away from the power line. As soon as it started coming I gave the winch button one last push and it was all the winch had. It was enough to bring it down but it did kill the jeep motor. If I had the genius boost I wouldn't have had to see my hairy 8 fingered father in law on H farmall in crotchless panties flinging bacon salt through the woods coming to jump my jeep. Plus it's my birthday today and I should just win by default lol. Happy Holidays all.

Brasscatz
12-18-2014, 08:58 AM
Just thought of another great use for these.... ever go to a junk yard and wonder how many miles are on a car but they've taken all the batteries out? Well, hook up your noco and look for yourself!

XJ Wheeler
12-18-2014, 03:41 PM
Just thought of another great use for these.... ever go to a junk yard and wonder how many miles are on a car but they've taken all the batteries out? Well, hook up your noco and look for yourself!

And i guess you could also test things like power window motors, wiper motors, efan, blower, well anything if the keys are in it.

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.