PDA

View Full Version : Need help with steering wheel!

pezter65
11-06-2014, 08:34 AM
I have a 91 XJ that the steering wheel was loose so I pulled the steering wheel apart and fix the 4 bolts now I can't figure out where this part goes and put it back it's like a little bendable spring clip type deal any help would be appreciated!http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11/06/680f7d3b493eec76b19d27184e1512f5.jpg

Brasscatz
11-06-2014, 09:43 PM
Dang, that's a real good question! I haven't seen that on my 97, but my question is, have you put it back together without that piece and does it work ok?

slvmart
11-07-2014, 02:51 AM
That looks awful familiar ! But damn if I can remember for sure what it's for.

You say 4 bolts, from the '89 manual it looks like there are only 3 nuts, unless you are including the center nut. But then you said bolts, so I'm not sure if the column was lose or if it was the wheel to the steering shaft that you are referring to.

From the shape of that spring, the only thing I can come up with is that it might have to do with either a key release or the key in lock buzzer.

Is that spring made out of steel or does it appear to be some copper alloy ? It might help ID what is was used for.

Sorry ! I know this isn't real helpful. If I have time I'll search around a bit more.

pezter65
11-07-2014, 07:07 AM
Hey Brasscatz I haven't put it back together cuz I just thought it wouldn't work right but I guess that's my next move will keep you updated thanks for the reply

pezter65
11-07-2014, 07:10 AM
H islvmart,yeah I wasn't clear. It was the column that was loose. Pretty common in Cherokees I guess but I believe it is steel and I did put back the key lock buzzer mechanism and it seems like it works OK without that, so still not sure! Thx for reply. I have found lots of photos of taking the steering wheel and column apart but nothing showing this little piece. So I guess I'll try to put it together this weekend without the piece and see how it goes will keep you informed thanks!

oderdene
11-07-2014, 10:28 AM
it seems sector preload spring, found a well illustrated instruction

download pdf from http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/wiki/images/d/d6/Jazzman_Steering_Rack_Rebuild.pdf

and see page 22

slvmart
11-07-2014, 03:39 PM
That's probably why it was vague familiar. I've fixed a few loose tilt steering columns in my time. Older GM's seemed to have a habit of wobbling all over the place, with time.

But did you figure out how that pre-load spring came out, if all you were doing was tightening up the column attachment ?

pezter65
11-08-2014, 01:12 PM
Thx oderdene,this is the BEST article! Now I can get my Jeep back jeepin! Mucho appreciated!!

oderdene
11-09-2014, 12:45 AM
Welcome Bro, we are here for help to each other and I had a spare time for finding pdf. Thanks for the challenging question :D

pezter65
11-09-2014, 10:02 AM
Zip👍👍👍

pezter65
11-09-2014, 10:38 AM
Hey oderdene I have another question I just put back the steering column everything seemed well but the key won't turn on the ignition now . the buzzer comes on and the lights come on but it doesn't turn the engine over what would that be? scratching head.....

pezter65
11-09-2014, 10:39 AM
Also when I put the ignition cylinder in there was no pin lock for it I don't remember taking it out and I can't find one can that be the problem?

oderdene
11-09-2014, 05:33 PM
maybe transmission rack improperly installed there, thus preventing lock cylinder turning. Actually it is for not removing key when you in gear.

There should be pin lock, find well

pezter65
11-12-2014, 07:59 AM
Fixed it it was actually the spring that connects the cam was configured wrong. Works great now. I think I'm a GM steering wheel expert now!Thx for help!