PDA

View Full Version : The Yeti

bluedragon436
11-02-2014, 10:53 PM
Since Nov. last year when I had to let my 98 Cherokee go due to divorce, I've been wanting to get back into another Cherokee.. Heck I didn't even manage to get away from the dealership before I regretted the decision to let her go.. but didn't have any other choice unfortunately thanks to this great state and their love for military members when divorces happen.. Anyways, I had almost given up on finding a Jeep for a bit, when I happened to stumble on an ad on a FB classified group that is local.. Figured the price was right, he needed the money I needed to get back into a Jeep and get out on some trails and relax while working on a Jeep again.. Anyways without further a due.. here's the "new" Jeep in the driveway..

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii306/bluedragon436/XJ/1997%20Cherokee%20Country/IMG_0760.jpg (http://s267.photobucket.com/user/bluedragon436/media/XJ/1997%20Cherokee%20Country/IMG_0760.jpg.html)
http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii306/bluedragon436/XJ/1997%20Cherokee%20Country/IMG_0759.jpg (http://s267.photobucket.com/user/bluedragon436/media/XJ/1997%20Cherokee%20Country/IMG_0759.jpg.html)
http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii306/bluedragon436/XJ/1997%20Cherokee%20Country/IMG_0753.jpg (http://s267.photobucket.com/user/bluedragon436/media/XJ/1997%20Cherokee%20Country/IMG_0753.jpg.html)
and one with her current driveway pal & guard (since she doesn't currently have a plate, which is a no go for the city)
http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii306/bluedragon436/XJ/1997%20Cherokee%20Country/IMG_0754.jpg (http://s267.photobucket.com/user/bluedragon436/media/XJ/1997%20Cherokee%20Country/IMG_0754.jpg.html)

Specs (as far as I've been told anyways)
1997 Cherokee Country
4.0 I6, AW4, 231J, HP30, Chr. 8.25
5" RC Lift w/ RC 2.0 shocks - Have figured out now, that it is roughly 4.5" of lift in the front (3" coils w/ 1.5" spacers), and 3" of lift in the rear (adjustable shackles, and small lift block) all w/ RC 2.0 shocks (probably for a 3" lift)
31" GoodYear Duratracs
Black Rock Crawler rims (not sure what brand unfortunately cause I'd like to find a matching 5th.. but no big deal as I have a set (5) of pretty much brand new 16" rims that will make it onto her once I get the height taken care of and upgrade tire height..

4.3LXJ
11-02-2014, 11:14 PM
Nice Jeep driveway. Almost matches the color on the LJ

bigjim350
11-02-2014, 11:38 PM
Waiting for some wheeling pics

Brasscatz
11-03-2014, 07:24 AM
Nice James! So, what's the laundry list of "to-do's"?

bluedragon436
11-03-2014, 10:24 AM
Nice James! So, what's the laundry list of "to-do's"?

Oh were to begin on that!! LOL.. Purchased both O2 sensors and IAT that was flagged by the key trick for the CEL... while changing the downstream O2 sensor I figured out why I had a O2 sensor circuit code... Guess it looks like at some point in time something pulled the connector from the harness, so it has one cut wired... So will have to take care of that once I get back from this mission I'm leaving for in the morning... Other then that I am looking to order up a new full leaf pack to get the rear back up and even with the front. Going to order up some sliders and bumpers once I am able to get it registered.

NW99XJ
11-05-2014, 02:49 PM
Congrats!
And welcome to the "Late Model Club"

bluedragon436
11-12-2014, 05:24 AM
Finally got to see my new bumper I ordered in person after being gone for over a week.. GF said she wasn't too happy about having to drag the 90+lb bumper into the house.. Can't wait to get it coated and installed...

I didn't really want the hitch along with the winch plate.. But the shop had this bumper ordered by a customer who decided to not come back for it.. So figured might as well have the option if needed or wanted later to use it.. figure I can also make use of it if I do decide to surf fish, by putting a hitch rack up there while out on the beach..
http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii306/bluedragon436/XJ/1997%20Cherokee%20Country/20141112_060939.jpg (http://s267.photobucket.com/user/bluedragon436/media/XJ/1997%20Cherokee%20Country/20141112_060939.jpg.html)

She had just a little bit of a stinger to her!! LOL
http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii306/bluedragon436/XJ/1997%20Cherokee%20Country/9013e1f5-f158-4f41-9bfd-a83fd44a14f6.jpg (http://s267.photobucket.com/user/bluedragon436/media/XJ/1997%20Cherokee%20Country/9013e1f5-f158-4f41-9bfd-a83fd44a14f6.jpg.html)

bluedragon436
11-12-2014, 05:28 AM
Swapped battery out, cause I though the battery that was in it when I got it was bad.. only to figure out the battery that was in the 90XJ is too tall for this one.. and it still didn't want to start... After a quick check of everything figured out that I'll be pulling this NSS for a cleaning as it has decided it will only start in N... so put the other battery back in.. Also spliced in the down stream O2 sensor pigtail that I got from Matt (Thank you again Matt for that life saver, as our PNP's have no 97+'s right now)... It's running nice and smooth again, and no CEL... So hopefully here in the next day or so I'll be able to get her registered..

OrangeXJ
11-12-2014, 05:47 AM
Finally got to see my new bumper I ordered in person after being gone for over a week.. GF said she wasn't too happy about having to drag the 90+lb bumper into the house.. Can't wait to get it coated and installed...

I didn't really want the hitch along with the winch plate.. But the shop had this bumper ordered by a customer who decided to not come back for it.. So figured might as well have the option if needed or wanted later to use it.. figure I can also make use of it if I do decide to surf fish, by putting a hitch rack up there while out on the beach..
http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii306/bluedragon436/XJ/1997%20Cherokee%20Country/20141112_060939.jpg (http://s267.photobucket.com/user/bluedragon436/media/XJ/1997%20Cherokee%20Country/20141112_060939.jpg.html)

She had just a little bit of a stinger to her!! LOL
http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii306/bluedragon436/XJ/1997%20Cherokee%20Country/9013e1f5-f158-4f41-9bfd-a83fd44a14f6.jpg (http://s267.photobucket.com/user/bluedragon436/media/XJ/1997%20Cherokee%20Country/9013e1f5-f158-4f41-9bfd-a83fd44a14f6.jpg.html)

Nice bumper. My TJ has the front hitch comes in really handy for moving trailers around.

bluedragon436
11-12-2014, 11:42 AM
Nice bumper. My TJ has the front hitch comes in really handy for moving trailers around.

Yeah was thinking about that too... We use the front pintle hook on a few of our vehicles @ work to maneuver trailers and such around sometimes, can come in handy sometimes... Figure I can find a use for it here and there, never hurt to have just in case... I think it'll not bother me as much once I get it all coated and installed.. Either way I def can't wait to get her installed... Or I guess first I should say I can wait to get her cleaned up and coated.. then installed!!

autotech98
11-12-2014, 03:14 PM
Cant wait to see more pics of it james.im not sure of how far it is from you but there is a guy on craigslist in delta pa (very southern pa almost maryland) that has a small jeep jy.also Rodneys Jeeps in Dover pa has a site on the internet

XJ Wheeler
11-12-2014, 10:27 PM
Good looking bumper James! And even better that you got a sweet deal. Glad Matt was able to get that NSS out to ya and fix it up. So, when does the bumper go on?

bluedragon436
11-12-2014, 11:30 PM
Cant wait to see more pics of it james.im not sure of how far it is from you but there is a guy on craigslist in delta pa (very southern pa almost maryland) that has a small jeep jy.also Rodneys Jeeps in Dover pa has a site on the internet

The bumper actually came from a fab shop up in Coal TWP, PA, and the rear bumper and sliders I'll be ordering once I get everything taken care of and registered on the Jeep will be coming from up in PA as well..

Good looking bumper James! And even better that you got a sweet deal. Glad Matt was able to get that NSS out to ya and fix it up. So, when does the bumper go on?

Got the pig tail for the downstream O2 sensor harness from Matt.. Then after installing that, the NSS has decided it wants to be on the fritz, so will be pulling it and cleaning it up... (which reminds me, does anyone know offhand if the NSS is the same PN between the years of the XJ's?? Might have to pull the one off the 90 as I've already torn it down and cleaned it up)..

Attempted to get it through inspection today and it decided it didn't want to start for the emissions test, and then started leaking antifreeze from the overflow bottle, due to it getting a little warm sitting in the waiting line for inspection. Guess I'll order a new fan shroud for it (as I was planning on doing anyways), do a good flush of the coolant system (as I always like to do fluid changes after purchasing a used vehicle anyways).. and will pull the NSS to clean it up while I'm waiting on the shroud to come in.. The bumper will be going on, as soon as I have some time to clean the bumper up and prep it to bedline it and let that set in and cure if you will... and once it has cured, and have gotten a few coats on it, as well as getting it registered I'll throw it on there.. Hoping I can have the front and rear bumper as well as sliders to install all at once... but we'll see how funds fall at that time... And maybe even some black friday sales deals!!

XJ Wheeler
11-13-2014, 02:06 AM
Ah, got it backwards.

Sounds like the makings of a solid rig. Hope ya get the time soon to get it together and start wheeling. :D

bluedragon436
11-13-2014, 03:31 AM
Ah, got it backwards.

Sounds like the makings of a solid rig. Hope ya get the time soon to get it together and start wheeling. :D

Me too.. Got a line on some parts for a bit taller lift, and LA setup.. I am mainly wanting the LA setup and the steering parts.. Don't think I'll be going with the springs that will come with the front portion of the lift, as I don't really want to go over 6.5" this time around.. Def need to pick up some rear leaves that is for sure as the current setup is going negative arch.. and was only 3" of lift anyways before it started negative arching... Am going to pull the drivers side window switch panel and see if I can't pick up one from PNP for trouble shooting purposes if nothing else, to figure out why I can roll down every window but the drivers side... He said he replaced the motor trying to fix it to no avail... so def want to figure that out, especially before I hit the trails.. Can't wait to get her out on the trail that is for sure...

OrangeXJ
11-13-2014, 05:47 AM
Get with Tony I think he had a problem with an electric window switch and did a write up on it.

autotech98
11-13-2014, 06:17 AM
I know in my 98 i put a new motor in and the gears on the new and old were different had to switch them.Also my wife found me an nss on ebay for 45$.

bluedragon436
11-13-2014, 06:06 PM
I know in my 98 i put a new motor in and the gears on the new and old were different had to switch them.Also my wife found me an nss on ebay for 45$.

Yeah the PO said he had put a new motor in there hoping that'd help remedy the issue, but didn't make a change.. but was going to pull it apart and take a look at it here in a few days.. need to hook the door lock linkage back up anyways, as the only way to lock or unlock the drivers door is with the key on the outside... And will probably pick up a set of speakers to install as there are either only two speakers installed in the whole Jeep or there are only two that actually work.. either way I usually upgrade speakers and stereo as quickly as I can when I buy a vehicle.. lol... I'm going to take a look online and see if I can make use of the same NSS from my 90, that I've already torn apart and cleaned up and if not, I'll pull this one and just clean it up... if nothing else I can always snag one online if need be, and just keep the current one after I clean it up as a spare..

autotech98
11-13-2014, 07:29 PM
That was my plan too. I had my wife order the new one cause i know my luck and sure enough i busted the old one taking it off.Lol hope you have better luck

bluedragon436
11-13-2014, 07:51 PM
I hope it comes apart easily... I pulled the old crusty one off the 90 and was able to tear it down and put it back together... so hopefully the newer 97 will come off and apart easier... at least that's the plan... Then again if it does break, then I'll order one either on Amazon or Ebay.. at least I have the Ram for DD so it can be down for a bit..

autotech98
11-13-2014, 07:53 PM
I hear that.

bluedragon436
11-23-2014, 05:48 PM
Installed new drivers side master window switch panel... Didn't fix my non working drivers side window unfortunately... but did take of my busted window lock button that stopped the other window switches from working on the passenger doors... (so wasn't a complete waste)

Installed new drivers side window regulator... Wish that thing wasn't so expensive, but at least now the window rolls up and down nice and smoothly.. Got the door panel back installed, save for the clips that the PO smashed and broke when he did the motor swap trying to fix the window.. will have to go and pick up some of those clips from AZ if I can and take care of both front door panels...

Also installed the new fan shroud Amazon.com: Evan-Fischer EVA12772027066 Fan Shroud Single Plastic: Automotive@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31hNu6E4UeL.@@AMEPARAM@@31hNu6E4UeL I picked up through Amazon, to replace the missing one.. hopefully that'll help a little bit with the slow overheat when it's sitting still.. Just need to pick up another 8mm bolt for the top of the shroud since it was missing... I would say if anyone is looking for a replacement shroud for a missing one or a busted one, take a look on Amazon as it is $21.65 w/ free shipping compared to the cheapest I was able to find anywhere else @ $60+...

autotech98
11-24-2014, 07:43 AM
Sounds like a good deal james.might have to pick up new door switch cluster myself have the same problem you did

bluedragon436
11-26-2014, 07:31 AM
Sounds like a good deal james.might have to pick up new door switch cluster myself have the same problem you did

Yeah figure it can't hurt to try out, and seem to have fixed the usual broken window lock switch... But unfortunately didn't fix my drivers side window not working... But I did replace the motor and the regulator and that took care of the drivers window not working...

Picked up an IRO LA upgrade, IRO HD steering upgrade, and a set of JKS disconnects.. Got them used, but still in great shape, just need to clean em up and get a few more items to freshen up the lift setup on the 97..

4.3LXJ
11-26-2014, 10:06 AM
Glad you got it working James. Now to the fun stuff

bluedragon436
11-26-2014, 08:06 PM
Glad you got it working James. Now to the fun stuff

Yeah it all seems to be working fine.. Guess I won't be able to really test out the cooling until the weather warms back up, unless we have some freak temps.. But the cool temps should help me keep her cool to at least get her registered...

Can't wait to get a few more items on order for the lift and even more so to get the lift installed.. and get this bumper completed and ready install...

bluedragon436
12-05-2014, 11:44 AM
Well could of sworn I posted the parts I ordered on here last week... but guess for some reason it didn't show up..

But just found it today (20141206) in the what did you order lately thread (where it did show up after posting it)

Ordered a few more parts for my lift upgrade/replacement for the 97... Only got a few more hardware items, coils and leafs to order and I'll hopefully be set and ready to go once I can get a hand (and hopefully a better option for workspace to do the install).. then will just be looking a bit goofy for a bit running around with 6.5" of lift and 31's, but shouldn't have to worry about tire rub even at full flex with that setup... lol... Here are the things I just ordered for the lift upgrade/replacement:

- Track Bar Bolt Sleeve
- Track Bar Bushing
- XJ Leaf Spring Degree Shims with centering pins
Degrees: 6
- Doetsch Tech 8000 Prerunner Shock Absorber (pair)
Vehicle: XJ
Lift: 7
- Doetsch Tech 8000 Prerunner Shock Absorber (pair)
Vehicle: XJ
Lift: 7
- Bar Pin Eliminating Shock Relocation Brackets (Front or Rear)
Application: Both
- XJ, ZJ, TJ Extended Length Stainless Steel Braided Brake Hose Kit
- Heavy Duty Coil Spring Retainer for XJ, ZJ, TJ (Hdwr. Kit# 38)
- XJ Adjustable Boomerang Lift Shackle
- Heavy Duty U-Bolt Plates
Axle: C825
U-Bolts: yes
Shipping: FedEx Ground Home Delivery: 46.69
Shipping coupon: FREESHIP2014: (46.69)

Got free shipping code... can't complain about any little bit of money saved, every bit helps... and gives more to put back into the Jeep...

bluedragon436
12-05-2014, 11:47 AM
Also got the back of the front bumper coated in liner before I flew out on my mission last week, so now that I'm back will get to work on coating the front of the bumper.. Going to HF to swap out the heater attachment I got for the blower so I can warm the garage back up... Once I get that working I'll get the front coated with a few coats... Looking good already though with the bed liner on it... can't wait to get the bumper installed, and pick up some sliders and a rear bumper, line them and get em installed..

bluedragon436
12-06-2014, 01:53 PM
Well swapped out the heater attachment for the HF blower.. still only a few of the coils light up.. so not getting full heat output from the heater.. got it to warm up enough in the garage after letting it run forever for me to at least get a few coats on the front of the bumper.. Going to go and pick up a different type of heater that got far better reviews from HF today so I can get the garage warmer and put one more coat on.. (After putting it all on, I'm wondering how horrible it'll look after the first time it gets coated in mud.. as I'm sure the liner will be a massive PITA to clean)... guess we'll find out though..

Also saw FedEx pull up in front of the house from my office window, ran down to meet the driver who was clearly struggling with the package (only 57.6lbs according to the FedEx site), to find out that all the small parts listed two posts up for the lift refreshing/upgrade arrived only 4 days after ordering them from IRO and 3 days after they shipped out.. I'm pretty happy with that quick process.. Now to get the remaining large parts on order (coils and leafs)... Then to get it all installed (will def be a happy camper that is for sure..)

bluedragon436
12-30-2014, 05:30 PM
Ordered up a quick fist clamp kit that comes with quite a few different size quick fist clamps, so figured I can use them to mount flash lights, fire extinguishers and a few other excessories, at least give em a try... Also ordered a Smittybuilt fairlead light mount for the bumper.. now I can measure out the mount points and decide on whether I'm going to go with a light bar or a light pods... then figure out what length bar if I decide to go with the bar..

Finally got around to pulling the NSS off the 97, managed to break one of the four little fingers that the main nut screws onto... so pulled the NSS back off the 90 to remove the little arm from the inside... glad I needed too as the one from the 97 was gunked up far worse then the 90 when I cleaned it a few months back.. so today I got it all put back together and installed back on the 97, and all positions work as designed first placement with no adjustments, so pretty happy about that...

Also cleaned all the components up for the IRO LA, OTK steering, and double shear TB and have put a fresh coat of paint on them... figure if nothing else they'll all look good when I do the install and for a little bit till I take it offroad for the fist time... But at least @ install time it all looked new and good..

Hoping to get it through inspection and get it all tagged tomorrow, and if I get that taken care of, I'll get the coils & leafs (only remaining items for the new lift setup) on order as well as diff covers front and rear... and that way I can go ahead and do a full replacement of fluids on the diffs before I really get into any wheeling..

bluedragon436
01-02-2015, 05:26 PM
Finally was able to get her through inspection and registered, so now hopefully I can start working on moving the parts collection from the house to the XJ..

Received the OHC I got from a great guy who enjoys scouring the JY's and pulling parts as much as I do... if only I had a JY worth a crap in this state, would be doing it more myself..

Now that she is in my name, and I don't have to worry about the mistake that MD had made on the title with the VIN, I'll go ahead and get the leafs and coils on order to complete the needed parts for the full suspension revamp/upgrade!!

bluedragon436
01-03-2015, 10:32 PM
Drove her last night for the first time other then illegally around the block, or to and from the DMV for inspection.. Started the trip to the gym last night with a random CEL that I didn't have since I took care of the jacked O2 sensor harness right after getting her.. did the key trick and she is flagging the coolant temp sensor, so looked at the wiring and it looks a bit messed up due to PO allowing it to get too close to the exhaust manifold at some point in time.. also noticed that the brights didn't work unless I just barely pulled back a little bit on the switch, and on my to the gym the passenger side rear turn signal randomly decides it doesn't want to blink, so I went to WalMart after the gym to pick up a new bulb, see the bulb is just fine.. so finish washing her for the first time since I'm finally able to drive her to the car wash... and leave and all of a sudden the turn signal works fine.. so I'm assuming since I already had an issue with the brights.. it was probably the turn signal switch.. so picked one up today..

Swapped out the turn signal switch assembly tonight (in the rain)... was a bit of a PITA since I couldn't pull the lower steering column plastic due to the 96ish left over ignition switch they used in the early 97's... But still got her swapped out and brights now work correctly in all positions.. we'll see if the right turn signal goes crazy like it did on me last night over the next couple days of driving her.. Hoping the weather tomorrow will hold off as far as the rain till late evening or even early morning while I'm still sleeping, so I can hopefully work on splicing in good wiring to replace the jacked up wiring for the coolant temp sensor tomorrow, and will pick up a new temp sensor, sense I forgot to get it today when I got the turn signal switch.. see if I can't take care of this CEL again..

bluedragon436
01-23-2015, 01:53 PM
Got the coolant temps sensor about a week back and went to install it after I did the splicing of the messed up wires, and come to find out I can't run a temp sensor for a 97.. So back to AZ I go, and pick up one for a 98, since it has the correct connector, and install it.. Pulled the positive cable off and touched it to the negative for about two minutes.. still have CEL... Josh informed me the correct way to reset the ECU, was going to try it but got days upon days of constant cold rain & ice, and then two inches of snow sitting on the Jeep till I left for a mission.. so once I get back from the mission I am currently on I'll try the proper way and see if the CEL is all gone... or at least for that sensor, if something else hasn't decided to come up now...

Tried to order the leafs & coils as well as a few other bits and pieces I wanted to install while doing the suspension work, and the companies site is apparently trying to protect me against myself and the addiction that is Jeep, and wouldn't let me complete the order for some reason... just as well I guess since I won't be home to bring in all the parts anyways... so as soon as I know when I'll be headed back home, I'll attempt to make another order..

bluedragon436
02-01-2015, 04:02 PM
Got the leafs & coils, bumpstops front and rear bumpstops on order on Thursday, should be delivered on Monday, go figure right after I leave for my next mission..

Was going to go out and install the H4 conversion and harness upgrade today till I got hit in the face with the bitter cold wind, which turned me back inside quickly...

So figured since my leafs and coils are coming in, I'd go ahead and go out and measure what the lift height is currently, and see how badly the reverse arched leafs have made the height difference... Meaurements came out roughly 22"F and 19.5" rear... going by what I've seen online including measurements posted by Steve on here.. I'm looking at roughly 4.5" of lift in the front and 2.5" in the rear.. Can't wait to get the new suspension setup installed and level her back out..

bluedragon436
02-13-2015, 01:55 PM
Last Sunday finally had a decent temp day while I was home, so I got the H4 upgrade housings and harness installed.. Pulled the upper trim and headliner so that I can have it ready to recover, temp installed the OHC I received and made sure everything worked and it did.. so will pull that and the visors back out so that I can get them and the headliner all recovered in matching material.. I think I'm going to try and see if I can't source a 98+ headliner in the JY w/ integrated sound bar though, so that I can have the seamless one piece setup, also so I can have the newer dome light that the 98+ has in the rear that I can't have with my 97 headliner as it still had the old style lights (which thank goodness the OHC took care of the updating of the forward dome light).. if I can't source a 98+ headliner then I'll just make due with what I got..

Also I know have all the necessary parts for the lift upgrade/revamp.. only missing a few bolts, nuts and washers which I'm going to check local ACE and see if they have them, if not then I'll order them online.. then I'll have everything in stock (as my pile of parts is growing larger almost daily)... and ready to install onto the Jeep once I can get an extra experienced hand or two together to swap it all out... Then will just look a little bit odd for a bit, with the 6.5" of long arm goodness and 31" tires...

Ordered up diff covers from Under Cover fab and they are sitting at the house, I've yet to see them in person, but my gf says they are quite heavy... so looking forward to getting them primed and painted and ready for install..

Also ordered up upgraded battery cables through JeepersCreepers so looking forward to getting those to the house, and installing them along with the new battery I bought a few days back to replace the worn out and dead battery currently in the XJ.. will be testing the alternator to make sure it is good before I let the new battery get messed up by being drained.. and all else fails if it's bad, then I'll go ahead and replace/upgrade the alternator as well... since that is part of the reason I went ahead and picked up the upgraded cables in the first place was to be one step closer to ready for that upgrade..

bluedragon436
02-17-2015, 07:42 PM
Installed my 2/0 battery cable upgrade that I purchased through JeepersNCreepers and a new AGM battery to replace the well worn out Interstate that was in it.. Starts far better then it did with the battery... and even more so one I installed the cables...

bluedragon436
03-28-2015, 11:48 AM
Finally was home long enough to get some pics of the front bumper after I coated it with some bedliner...

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii306/bluedragon436/XJ/1997%20Cherokee%20Country/9800b2b8-2725-46e4-9af6-94f0a0da500f.jpg (http://s267.photobucket.com/user/bluedragon436/media/XJ/1997%20Cherokee%20Country/9800b2b8-2725-46e4-9af6-94f0a0da500f.jpg.html)

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii306/bluedragon436/XJ/1997%20Cherokee%20Country/20150328_121417.jpg (http://s267.photobucket.com/user/bluedragon436/media/XJ/1997%20Cherokee%20Country/20150328_121417.jpg.html)

I'm currently talking to a local shop about coating my rear bumper when it gets here, and sand/media blasting the rock rails and the front bumper and coating them all with the same quality professional spray on liner, instead of the thinner out of can variant I did the front with... The front bumper looks really nice, but wanted all of the armor to match, and figure having a nice thick coating on the front bumper would be good for longevity of the covering!!

4.3LXJ
03-28-2015, 12:07 PM
Looks good James

bluedragon436
03-28-2015, 12:16 PM
Yeah it does look good, came out nice and clean too... especially for my first time doing something of that size and work.. only issue was the first time I moved it after coating it, I scratched the liner off down to the primer I sprayed with my belt buckle... But I took it back out, and recovered that spot, and then once it was semi dry, I brought it back into the house to "cure" in the heat, and was hoping that was the issue that it just wasn't able to really cure out in the cold... but figure I might as well get it completely and professionally covered the same to match the sliders and rear bumper...

4.3LXJ
03-28-2015, 12:18 PM
Not sure what to tell you there. I have never messed with bed liner, but I probably will use it at some point as an undercoating.

bluedragon436
03-28-2015, 12:26 PM
Not sure what to tell you there. I have never messed with bed liner, but I probably will use it at some point as an undercoating.

I have the spray on undercoating, and it came out pretty similar to the can type spray on liner... I did the same liner on my factory rear bumper to cover up the ugly faded look it had on my 98... and I liked the subtle texture that it had, so that is why I decided to do it with the front bumper... but now that I've got the sliders and the rear bumper should be in here in the next week or so... figure might as well have them all match.. Can't wait to get them all coated and installed..

I mean at least I obviously did the prep right on the bumper, cause when I scratched the liner off with my belt buckle.. the primer I had sprayed held on like a champ..

4.3LXJ
03-28-2015, 12:58 PM
What brand did you use. One of the things I don't want is that deep orange peel texture. Just a place for dirt to be trapped as far as I am concerned. We have a red clay that is hard to remove when you get it on anything

bluedragon436
03-31-2015, 05:50 AM
I used the Rustoleum bedliner in a spray can... it has a slight texture, but definitely nothing huge or too rough.. just enough to give it a little texture... As far as the undercoating... also used the Rustoleum brand spray can stuff... and it seemed to do pretty well, and not be too textured... I know all about that red clay mud fun... We have quite a bit of it most places in SC as well as GA... Matter of fact I actually have some clothes.. everything from my T-shirt & Jeans down to my undies and socks... and my work boots... that are permanently stained with that stuff.. But had a great time romping through it with dirt bikes, quads and offroad go-karts...

4.3LXJ
03-31-2015, 10:30 AM
Fun yes, but the clean up sucks. Thanks for the info

bluedragon436
03-31-2015, 11:56 AM
Finally had enough down time @ home and amazing weather and was able to get the rock rails off the old 90 XJ, so I can get them cleaned up and recoated once I get my rear bumper in.. so I can have them all ready to install hopefully at the same time...

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii306/bluedragon436/XJ/1997%20Cherokee%20Country/20150330_191816.jpg (http://s267.photobucket.com/user/bluedragon436/media/XJ/1997%20Cherokee%20Country/20150330_191816.jpg.html)

They're a little bit dirty and rough looking right now... Hoping to get a chance to clean the rest of the weld buggers that the PO did to install them the last time.. I guess the correct hardware was just too darn complicated to install them correctly...

Also reorganized and cleaned up the "garage".. Got a guy out of the local Jeep club that is going to come take a look @ the old 90 on Saturday.. and if all goes well he'll be taking ownership of the 90, and I'll have my garage back to be able to get the 97 in and start hopefully getting some progress going on it... Hoping if all works out as planned that I'll be able to make it to a wrenching party local club is having on Saturday and getting the new lift installed.. figured if possible I'd like to get their help with the SYE install as well, and I'll just use the current front shaft there and only have 2wd for a bit... but at least it'll be together and ready to go... Also took possession of a almost brand new carpet cleaner from a guy who was getting out of the AF... his wife said it worked awesomely... they just didn't feel like having to move it.. so I'm going to try and use it and see if I can't get the interior a little bit cleaner with it... Not looking for immaculate or anything... just something that looks like someone at least cares for the vehicle... and hopeful even get rid of the remaining smell after the cleaning I've already done... It's far cleaner and less smelly then it was when I took possession of it..

bluedragon436
04-01-2015, 04:27 PM
Bit the bullet and ordered up my new tires.. Was going to put it off for a few weeks, and let my bank account recoup a bit... but they were offering a deal I just couldn't pass up, and it only had two days left... so I took those two days to really think about it... and decided to jump on it while I could... Was told they wouldn't ship out till this coming weekend, but just got the FedEx info, and they will be at my house on Friday... so hopefully @ 0800 Saturday morning when the tire shop I like to use opens up I'll be there waiting to get them mounted and balanced on the my 16" rims I bought for the 98.. Hoping they turn out looking as good as I think they will once I get them installed on the XJ...

bluedragon436
04-10-2015, 06:44 PM
So I measured my lift height today, just for shits and giggles.. Since I know the rear is definitely higher then the front, just wanted to see what it would come out too... Going off of Steve's information of 17.5" in the Front and 17" in the rear.. I'm sitting at roughly 6.5" (24" measurement) in the front, and 8" (25" measurement) in the rear... I'll measure again once I install my bumpers and sliders and the spare tire on the rear bumper... and once everything settles a little bit.. Figure if I need to then, I'll make adjustments to bring her even F&R....

If everything goes to plan, I'll be dropping off my front bumper and sliders to a shop for stripping and bed lining on Monday morning, and hopefully pick them back up on Tuesday...

4.3LXJ
04-10-2015, 07:42 PM
That sounds tall enough James

bluedragon436
04-10-2015, 07:59 PM
That sounds tall enough James

Oh trust me, that is plenty tall enough for me... I was looking for 6.5".. 7" at the very most... so the 8" will definitely not be sticking around...

4.3LXJ
04-10-2015, 08:00 PM
Load it with tools :D

bluedragon436
04-10-2015, 08:10 PM
Load it with tools :D

I got all the tools I took with me to the wrenching party still chilling in the back, including my floor jack, and then have added some other items to try and weight her down a little bit to aid in the settling... I figure once I get my rear bumper in and installed, that'll help as well... I might throw my front bumper in the hatch area until Monday when I take it to go get stripped and recovered figure I'll let it's 85 lbs do something useful for a bit...

4.3LXJ
04-10-2015, 08:15 PM
When I wheel, I usually have about 70# of tools and another 30# of recovery gear. But it is still too tall, send me some pics of the rear springs and I can make some suggestions on how to lower it without sacrificing anything

Mudderoy
04-11-2015, 01:44 AM
Bit the bullet and ordered up my new tires.. Was going to put it off for a few weeks, and let my bank account recoup a bit... but they were offering a deal I just couldn't pass up, and it only had two days left... so I took those two days to really think about it... and decided to jump on it while I could... Was told they wouldn't ship out till this coming weekend, but just got the FedEx info, and they will be at my house on Friday... so hopefully @ 0800 Saturday morning when the tire shop I like to use opens up I'll be there waiting to get them mounted and balanced on the my 16" rims I bought for the 98.. Hoping they turn out looking as good as I think they will once I get them installed on the XJ...

How much was it for mounting and balancing? Who did you use?

bluedragon436
04-11-2015, 10:12 AM
How much was it for mounting and balancing? Who did you use?

I'll be running the Treadwright Guard Dog M/T's, I haven't had them mounted and balanced just yet.. Figure I want to get all the noises and vibes worked out while I know that the rims/tires that are on the XJ are balanced correctly and not the issue.. But I am thinking about going and getting the rims/tires mounted/balanced now just to have them in the house ready to install and go once I get everything worked out.. I'll be having them mounted and balanced at a local little tire shop, as Wal-Mart & Firestone are my only other options and they won't do them...

bluedragon436
04-11-2015, 07:03 PM
Got the trac bar all lined up... It definitely drives a bit better then it did with the axle too far over to the passenger side.. Still need to do a bit more work on the steering side, like installing the OTK steering, or at least reentering the steering wheel for now.. I'm going to try and hopefully get the stock steering off, and the OTK steering in tomorrow if the weather is the same as it was today.. Going to save money up and try and source a Durango gear box, as soon as I can get a for sure year and model and hopefully even better if I can find a PN that others have gone with... Haven't been able find one in one of our two local PNP's, so guess I'm going to source one from AZ or another part store.. at least I'll know it'll have a full warranty and not be sloppy feeling steering, as I have right now...

xj-jake
04-15-2015, 10:37 AM
98-99 Durango with a V-8. You will not be disappointed. Make sure you get the spacer also before you replace it.

bluedragon436
04-15-2015, 10:45 AM
98-99 Durango with a V-8. You will not be disappointed. Make sure you get the spacer also before you replace it.

You talking about the spacer to replace the craptacular aluminum one that always breaks??

xj-jake
04-15-2015, 10:59 AM
You talking about the spacer to replace the craptacular aluminum one that always breaks??

That would be the correct one

bluedragon436
04-15-2015, 11:43 AM
Already got a new one in hand.. figured I have to pull the bolts that hold the box in anyways, when I do my bumper install, so might as well go ahead and beef it up..

http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/sgs3.jpg (http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=IROR&Product_Code=10505&Category_Code=PFX)

NW99XJ
04-16-2015, 09:46 AM
Already got a new one in hand.. figured I have to pull the bolts that hold the box in anyways, when I do my bumper install, so might as well go ahead and beef it up...
I have the same spacer... seems to work just fine.
One thing I would recommend though is upgrading to grade 8 bolts for the re-mount.

bluedragon436
04-16-2015, 04:02 PM
I have the same spacer... seems to work just fine.
One thing I would recommend though is upgrading to grade 8 bolts for the re-mount.

OH yeah definitely... Got all Grade 8 hardware waiting with my bumper for install for the bumper mounts, as well as the frame tie in plates, to include the three steering gearbox bolts.. By the time I get done there won't be hardly any bolts in the suspension/steering that will be below grade 5.. (most of them will be 8)

bluedragon436
09-22-2015, 03:38 PM
Got the front bumper on finally, as well as Durango steering gearbox installed.. Hauled it over to an offroad shop to drop it off to have a few things done to it, including the front end alignment to cover the full steering upgrade, LA install and TB install... as well as have the SYE & DS installed..

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii306/bluedragon436/XJ/1997%20Cherokee%20Country/20150918_095356.jpg (http://s267.photobucket.com/user/bluedragon436/media/XJ/1997%20Cherokee%20Country/20150918_095356.jpg.html)

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii306/bluedragon436/XJ/1997%20Cherokee%20Country/20150918_095410.jpg (http://s267.photobucket.com/user/bluedragon436/media/XJ/1997%20Cherokee%20Country/20150918_095410.jpg.html)

Pookapotamus
09-22-2015, 04:01 PM
Looking great!

Having 4WD means getting stuck in more inaccessible places!

4.3LXJ
09-22-2015, 04:26 PM
You are getting closer James

bluedragon436
09-22-2015, 10:26 PM
You are getting closer James

Slowly but surely... Just hope the forward pace keeps going strong... Can't wait to get it back to the house and get back to knocking out the small stuff left, as well as hopefully getting the rock rails on and if all works out well, I'll be heading up to PA this weekend to pick up a lightly used aftermarket back bumper for it... Which will hopefully only be a temporary solution, till the one I ordered and paid for over 6 months ago gets shipped out, or I get my money back... :bang::bang::banghead::mad0090:

4.3LXJ
09-23-2015, 10:07 AM
six months? Doesn't sound good

bluedragon436
09-23-2015, 10:17 AM
six months? Doesn't sound good

Oh trust me... I'm not at all happy about it... I was deployed for 3 months, and couldn't have it shipped to the house while I wasn't there as my GF is preg, and that woudln't have been good for her to have to carry in... but was still trying to push and get them to ship it out.. told my GF if she had to, to just drag it into the garage if it even came...
but yeah, no.. they did an awesome job of ignoring the hell out of my messages and attempts to contact them through their website... and now phone calls apparently....

4.3LXJ
09-23-2015, 11:39 AM
Send them a registered letter. That might get their attention

bluedragon436
09-23-2015, 11:42 PM
Went and picked up the Yeti from the shop... Seems to handle much better and smoother now.. and doesn't wonder all over the road like it did prior to the alignment... And is certainly better then the way it was without the sway bar, since that was reinstalled w/ the JKS disconnects...

Send them a registered letter. That might get their attention

Yeah, have been thinking about that... Just been trying to think about what to write in said letter... I don't want to be threatening, cause I know that won't help the situation at all, and certainly won't help me get results as far as getting either the bumper I ordered or my money paid back.. At this point, I honestly just want the money I paid back, and I'll just go elsewhere for my bumper.. Or be happy with the one I'm supposed to go pick up from a guy up in PA this weekend (which is pretty much the same bumper I ordered, with the exception of the flush mount LED cutouts won't be there on this one..

4.3LXJ
09-24-2015, 04:33 AM
You do need to be firm. Tell them you want the bumper or your money back. I assume they have accepted the money, which means they spent it already. And give them 30 days. How far away are these guys?

bluedragon436
09-24-2015, 06:27 AM
You do need to be firm. Tell them you want the bumper or your money back. I assume they have accepted the money, which means they spent it already. And give them 30 days. How far away are these guys?

Yeah that was pretty much what I was thinking... They're roughly 2.5hrs away, depending on traffic.. I figure I'll try to contact them one more time.. and if that doesn't seem to get results then I'll send out a registered letter to them for that.. If that doesn't get results then I'll have to figure out where to go from there, which unfortunately sucks cause they know that folks aren't going to want to spend the money to get a lawyer and court fees to sue them.. (and I definitely don't have that kind of money)... but I will definitely go through BBB and see what legal recourse I have there.. And am going to call the local PD there where they are located, to see what legal actions I have through them as well..

4.3LXJ
09-24-2015, 10:36 AM
Are they in the same state as you?

bluedragon436
09-30-2015, 10:09 AM
Are they in the same state as you?

No they are in PA, and I'm in DE..

Drove her over to a Show and Shine/End of Summer bash local Jeep club was putting on Saturday.. Won Best Cherokee (there was only two of us, but I'll take a win where I can get it!!!)... Had a good time getting to drive her finally, and enjoy hanging out with Jeeples and even more so with my own XJ being there... Was perfect weather and got a few pics taken by one of the members of the club that is into photography!!

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii306/bluedragon436/XJ/1997%20Cherokee%20Country/SDJC%20End%20of%20Summer%20Bash%202.jpg (http://s267.photobucket.com/user/bluedragon436/media/XJ/1997%20Cherokee%20Country/SDJC%20End%20of%20Summer%20Bash%202.jpg.html)

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii306/bluedragon436/XJ/1997%20Cherokee%20Country/SDJC%20End%20of%20Sumer%20Bash.jpg (http://s267.photobucket.com/user/bluedragon436/media/XJ/1997%20Cherokee%20Country/SDJC%20End%20of%20Sumer%20Bash.jpg.html)

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii306/bluedragon436/XJ/1997%20Cherokee%20Country/SDJC%20End%20of%20Summer%20Bash.jpg (http://s267.photobucket.com/user/bluedragon436/media/XJ/1997%20Cherokee%20Country/SDJC%20End%20of%20Summer%20Bash.jpg.html)

Went and picked up a similar bumper from a guy in PA on Sunday (was a great trip, through some beautiful Amish country; if we weren't running late would have snapped pics), his was the one that the shop I purchased mine from built as a prototype, so it has a few minor clearance issues, but still better then nothing... And this one doesn't have the cut outs for the flush mount LED lights like the one I ordered, but otherwise is the same bumper.. Was planning on unloading the bumper from the back seat of my truck on Monday, so it wouldn't leave any indents on the back seat, but didn't pull it out of the truck till yesterday... So figured I'd snap a few pictures of it out in the yard prior to putting it in the garage..

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii306/bluedragon436/XJ/1997%20Cherokee%20Country/20150929_150351.jpg (http://s267.photobucket.com/user/bluedragon436/media/XJ/1997%20Cherokee%20Country/20150929_150351.jpg.html)
**Now I just need to figure out a easy/classy way to cover up over the company name, sense as of right now I would certainly not recommend or want to advertise them for others to be stuck in the situation I'm currently in with waiting on parts I ordered..**
http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii306/bluedragon436/XJ/1997%20Cherokee%20Country/20150929_150402.jpg (http://s267.photobucket.com/user/bluedragon436/media/XJ/1997%20Cherokee%20Country/20150929_150402.jpg.html)

bluedragon436
09-30-2015, 10:19 AM
And that storage in the garage didn't last too long... Right after putting the bumper in the garage, and the factory bumper and hitch coming off nice and smooth, caused me to move the base of the new bumper over to it's home on the back of the Yeti!! (will try and snap a pic or two once the overcast skies clear up, and the sun comes out) I will say it certainly is plenty beefy and heavy, and should not have been installed by one person, but was manageable and didn't break anything so that is definitely good... Hoping to get the tire carrier portion on today, if the rain will let up, and I can find a new cap for the top of the bearing @ TSC or Lowes or something... Will certainly have to order up some lower quarter armor to cover up where the factory end caps usually cover, or do Cut-N-Fold (it's just a vicious cycle)... but love the end results!!!

bluedragon436
10-05-2015, 01:33 PM
Got carrier installed on rear bumper finally, since the rain finally stopped. .

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii306/bluedragon436/XJ/1997%20Cherokee%20Country/20151005_125904.jpg (http://s267.photobucket.com/user/bluedragon436/media/XJ/1997%20Cherokee%20Country/20151005_125904.jpg.html)

4.3LXJ
10-05-2015, 01:34 PM
That looks really beefy James

bluedragon436
10-05-2015, 01:35 PM
http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii306/bluedragon436/XJ/1997%20Cherokee%20Country/20151005_130009.jpg (http://s267.photobucket.com/user/bluedragon436/media/XJ/1997%20Cherokee%20Country/20151005_130009.jpg.html)

bluedragon436
10-05-2015, 01:36 PM
That looks really beefy James

Certainly a fun install by myself, and definitely glad I installed it in two pieces, not like I was advised, to put it together on the ground then lift into place!

4.3LXJ
10-05-2015, 01:37 PM
Yup, thatt would be awkward

bluedragon436
10-05-2015, 02:21 PM
Yup, thatt would be awkward

I mean all else fails I do have my D-rings, lift strap and engine hoist, so could make that work pretty easily... I still might remove it that way, if I decide to replace the craptacular excuse for nutstrips with the much better version from JCR!! As of right now, I'm fine with it being the way it is, but once I can afford a gas tank skid, I'd certainly love to upgrade to the much better JCR style!!

I'm currently debating about the tire placement, as far as height.. In the picture it is in a raised position, but with it a tad bit lower, it will help keep the weight lower, and still allow some use of the rear window, and still have a good departure angle.. But will also allow the tire to block the company name, as they are the ones that I am still waiting (almost 8 months now) for the rear bumper I ordered from them.. so not really wanting to advertise for them.. But I like the idea of someone hitting the bumper instead of the tire if I was to get rear ended... so we'll see...

XJ Wheeler
10-05-2015, 05:32 PM
Really looks good on there! Fits it well. Just need to do something about those reverse lights. :p

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

autotech98
10-05-2015, 07:26 PM
Awesome lookin bumper. Too bad they gave you such horrible customer service. Looks great on the Yeti
[emoji41]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547

bluedragon436
10-05-2015, 10:15 PM
Really looks good on there! Fits it well. Just need to do something about those reverse lights. :p

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

Well if they hadn't ****** me, then I'd have the flush mount LED lights for reverse.. But wasn't an option that was built into this one for the guy it was built for (as this one was the concept bumper for the one I ordered) But have been thinking temporarily, about just installing some ultra bright LED bulbs for the reverse lights, until I can figure something else out.. Don't think they are really blocked as much as it seems in the pic, but didn't really realize how much it seemed like they were until I read your post.. So will pull the XJ forward tomorrow and see how bad it really is... But will do LED bulbs for now, to get by till I figure out a more permanent option!!

Awesome lookin bumper. Too bad they gave you such horrible customer service. Looks great on the Yeti
[emoji41]

Trust me, I was planning on purchasing far more products from them for both my XJ as well as my gf's LJ... not to mention a few folks in local Jeep club that I got interested in this bumper and other products... So I really hate the horrible customer service I received from them... Going to attempt one more contact through all options I have for contacting them, this time demanding my money back.. I'll give them 24hrs to reply and work something out, and if nothing (as I'm sure is the reply I'll get)... I'll then contact the BBB an file a claim, and then following that if nothing happens, contact the PA state police about pressing charges.. I'm trying my best to be as patient and understanding as I can, but am beyond pissed (and rightfully so I feel), and at this point in time, since I've gone out and spent more money on purchasing this bumper from another awesome Jeeper... just want my money back, so that I can go and purchase other items for my XJ (like the full cooling system to replace it all and hopefully take care of this lack of heat inside the XJ, and this random overheating issue under the hood).. not to mention items for upcoming little one's arrival!!!

bluedragon436
10-05-2015, 11:23 PM
Loosened the rear shackles on her tonight, and then threw the spare tire on the carrier, and the other 4 rims/tires in the cargo area, definitely settled her down a bit height wise (as she has been ass high since the lift install)... figure I'll leave it like that for a day or so, then tighten up the shackles and remove the rims/tires and see if she picks back up, or if she'll stay at current almost level height... Not sure if this will work or not, but was advised to give it a try by quite a few YJ leaf running folks...

OrangeXJ
10-06-2015, 08:52 AM
Well if they hadn't ****** me, then I'd have the flush mount LED lights for reverse.. But wasn't an option that was built into this one for the guy it was built for (as this one was the concept bumper for the one I ordered) But have been thinking temporarily, about just installing some ultra bright LED bulbs for the reverse lights, until I can figure something else out.. Don't think they are really blocked as much as it seems in the pic, but didn't really realize how much it seemed like they were until I read your post.. So will pull the XJ forward tomorrow and see how bad it really is... But will do LED bulbs for now, to get by till I figure out a more permanent option!!

Trust me, I was planning on purchasing far more products from them for both my XJ as well as my gf's LJ... not to mention a few folks in local Jeep club that I got interested in this bumper and other products... So I really hate the horrible customer service I received from them... Going to attempt one more contact through all options I have for contacting them, this time demanding my money back.. I'll give them 24hrs to reply and work something out, and if nothing (as I'm sure is the reply I'll get)... I'll then contact the BBB an file a claim, and then following that if nothing happens, contact the PA state police about pressing charges.. I'm trying my best to be as patient and understanding as I can, but am beyond pissed (and rightfully so I feel), and at this point in time, since I've gone out and spent more money on purchasing this bumper from another awesome Jeeper... just want my money back, so that I can go and purchase other items for my XJ (like the full cooling system to replace it all and hopefully take care of this lack of heat inside the XJ, and this random overheating issue under the hood).. not to mention items for upcoming little one's arrival!!!

I would not waste my time with the BBB they really can't do anything go straight to the police. I would try the local sheriff first. I had a situation like yours many years ago and its funny how fast you get contacted after a sheriff deputy knocks on there door.

bluedragon436
10-06-2015, 01:20 PM
I would not waste my time with the BBB they really can't do anything go straight to the police. I would try the local sheriff first. I had a situation like yours many years ago and its funny how fast you get contacted after a sheriff deputy knocks on there door.

As much as I don't want to go to a drastic measure as that... I feel like I'm out of any other option, and have more then tried to give them every chance possible to remedy this situation... So if that is what it takes to either get my money back or get the product I ordered going on 8 months ago (would actually really prefer the money for other parts, now that I got this bumper on here)... Then got to do what I got to do...

XJ Wheeler
10-07-2015, 04:15 AM

It is rediculous all the trouble they've caused you. As someone who values giving the best service I can, this really is sad. Just trying to steal from you. Hope you get resolution soon James!

Maybe you could get a set of led lights to mount to the tire carrier?

Sent via messenger pigeon. I talk, he types.

bluedragon436
10-07-2015, 07:47 AM
It is rediculous all the trouble they've caused you. As someone who values giving the best service I can, this really is sad. Just trying to steal from you. Hope you get resolution soon James!

Maybe you could get a set of led lights to mount to the tire carrier?

Agreed... I hate it too... if it wasn't so much money, I'd just cal it a lesson learned and walk away... But this is quite a bit of money, and I'm doing everything I can to not walk away empty handed... I don't understand why they do the things they do, and I so wish I had gotten in contact with the guy who I purchased my current rear bumper through prior to my order of the bumper from the company, as one he told me about all the BS and fighting he had to do with this company, and he spend over $1600 with them for all kinds of services and parts, and they screwed him over... so that blows my thought of maybe mine was just a small order so not real important to them out of the water... and two cause then I could pick up pretty much the same exact bumper @ a far cheaper price, and get a nice scenic adventure @ the same time w/ far less stress!!

I've been thinking about doing something for added lighting, just not real sure what I want to do.. as I'd like to keep a somewhat clean appearance, which is why I ordered the flush mount lights on the bumper I ordered from them... I might think about cutting into the bumper and doing some flush mounts myself.. But really don't want to tear it up, as the finish is "perfect" for now... But don't want to have any issues with the reverse lights either!!

XJ Wheeler
10-07-2015, 11:17 PM
Agreed... I hate it too... if it wasn't so much money, I'd just cal it a lesson learned and walk away... But this is quite a bit of money, and I'm doing everything I can to not walk away empty handed... I don't understand why they do the things they do, and I so wish I had gotten in contact with the guy who I purchased my current rear bumper through prior to my order of the bumper from the company, as one he told me about all the BS and fighting he had to do with this company, and he spend over $1600 with them for all kinds of services and parts, and they screwed him over... so that blows my thought of maybe mine was just a small order so not real important to them out of the water... and two cause then I could pick up pretty much the same exact bumper @ a far cheaper price, and get a nice scenic adventure @ the same time w/ far less stress!!

I've been thinking about doing something for added lighting, just not real sure what I want to do.. as I'd like to keep a somewhat clean appearance, which is why I ordered the flush mount lights on the bumper I ordered from them... I might think about cutting into the bumper and doing some flush mounts myself.. But really don't want to tear it up, as the finish is "perfect" for now... But don't want to have any issues with the reverse lights either!!

Yeah, that isn't doesn't do much for hoping it was a one time thing. I can't imagine loosing that much. Sucky situation all around.

Might be a bit tough to make a clean cut for a hole like that but doable with the right tools. I've stayed away from the flush lights on the jeeps because it seems like a rock or something could knock them pretty good being on the face of the bumper. But they do look good and clean.

bluedragon436
10-07-2015, 11:23 PM
Yeah, that isn't doesn't do much for hoping it was a one time thing. I can't imagine loosing that much. Sucky situation all around.

Might be a bit tough to make a clean cut for a hole like that but doable with the right tools. I've stayed away from the flush lights on the jeeps because it seems like a rock or something could knock them pretty good being on the face of the bumper. But they do look good and clean.

Yeah I've thought about the flush mount being hit as well... That's is why I don't run the Rigid lights, at least it won't break the bank if/when they no longer work or get smacked..

bluedragon436
10-07-2015, 11:37 PM
Finally got Yeti's grown up shoes on her today, as well as the spare permanently mounted on the carrier.. along with the JCR license plate relocation bracket.. (Now I just got to work on running the wires for the plate light that came with the bracket.. Have to figure out where to tap in from the parking lights to run wires to disconnects.. so I can remove the plate whenever I need to make use of the spare (hopefully not for a while)!!

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii306/bluedragon436/XJ/1997%20Cherokee%20Country/20151007_170807.jpg (http://s267.photobucket.com/user/bluedragon436/media/XJ/1997%20Cherokee%20Country/20151007_170807.jpg.html)

I'm pretty happy with the look and the spacing, but am sure cutting and aftermarket flares will be required to give room for flex space, but we'll see when I get a chance to stretch her legs out a bit!!

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii306/bluedragon436/XJ/1997%20Cherokee%20Country/20151007_170913.jpg (http://s267.photobucket.com/user/bluedragon436/media/XJ/1997%20Cherokee%20Country/20151007_170913.jpg.html)

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii306/bluedragon436/XJ/1997%20Cherokee%20Country/20151007_170949.jpg (http://s267.photobucket.com/user/bluedragon436/media/XJ/1997%20Cherokee%20Country/20151007_170949.jpg.html)

bluedragon436
10-07-2015, 11:49 PM
Also got most of the parts that I ordered for my coolant overhaul, only waiting on the water pump and one of the transmission line to the radiator.. So once my co-worker gets back from leave, and removes his 96 XJ from my "shop", I'll take mine over and start tearing the front off, so I can get it all swapped out, and see if I can't hopefully remedy this random (sometimes) overheat issue, and maybe even the coolant temp sensor CEL code, that seemed to not clear after replacing the coolant temp sensor..

4.3LXJ
10-08-2015, 12:36 AM
That code should clear after enough starts.

XJ Wheeler
10-08-2015, 01:00 AM
Good idea. For the price you can get them for these days, it may be worth the risk.

bluedragon436
10-08-2015, 07:22 AM
That code should clear after enough starts.

I hope so, but figure I might just replace the sensor again while I'm doing the T-stat and everything else anyways (and since it's warrantied, might as well)... And the battery will be unhooked while I'm doing all the parts anyways, so figure between those, will hopefully clear out the code... if it's still there after all of this, not sure what is causing it to flag the sensor... Going to be replacing the upper O2 sensor as well, as it was flagging O2 sensor too last time I checked the codes..

OrangeXJ
10-12-2015, 05:50 PM
As much as I don't want to go to a drastic measure as that... I feel like I'm out of any other option, and have more then tried to give them every chance possible to remedy this situation... So if that is what it takes to either get my money back or get the product I ordered going on 8 months ago (would actually really prefer the money for other parts, now that I got this bumper on here)... Then got to do what I got to do...

all they are going to do is send them a letter saying there has been a complaint filed against them. the company can just throw the letter in the trash and bbb can do nothing about it. they have no teeth to do anything. just saying. you can file a suit against them in small claims court or as I said see if there local law enforcement will file theft charges.

autotech98
10-12-2015, 05:53 PM
The Pa state police would be your best bet James. They dont play around

bluedragon436
03-16-2016, 10:50 AM
The Pa state police would be your best bet James. They dont play around

Well like was said the BBB contacted them, and not really anything comes from that (not that I really expected it too anyways).. just figured at least if anyone looks into the company while their doing their research for purchasing parts or services... (as I did prior to making my purchase).. there will hopefully be some kind of review that someone will see, and at least they'll have a heads up (which I did not have)...

Only thing to come from the BBB complaint was the owner contacted me, and said he had no knowledge of my attempts at contact.. and that he wanted to verify my shipping address and then get the bumper out to me... I sent multiple emails back with no more contact after that... So in the last week was able to get back in touch with him, and have been told I can come pick up the bumper, or they will ship it out this week to me.. so since I have newborn little one, and not spare time right now to make the drive up, will be waiting to see if sometime in the next year I get this bumper I purchased a year ago... :bang:

bluedragon436
03-16-2016, 11:48 AM
Well got the complete coolant system overhaul taken care of shortly after my post on 10-08, didn't get any pics (go figure)... but as of yet haven't had a chance to really get out in hot weather to see if it has taken care of my the random overheat/heatsoak issue... I have however had a chance to see how she does in the snow driving.. Have also had a good time finding new way to park the XJ @ work.

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii306/bluedragon436/XJ/1997%20Cherokee%20Country/20160128_204538.jpg (http://s267.photobucket.com/user/bluedragon436/media/XJ/1997%20Cherokee%20Country/20160128_204538.jpg.html)

Took my JCR sliders to a friend and had him do a textured black powder coat on it, and also dropped off two sets of D-rings to have them powder coated at the same time.. Didn't get any pics of the sliders prior to or after install, but got pic of the D-rings... was pretty happy with the outcome of them..

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii306/bluedragon436/XJ/1997%20Cherokee%20Country/20160226_165204.jpg (http://s267.photobucket.com/user/bluedragon436/media/XJ/1997%20Cherokee%20Country/20160226_165204.jpg.html)

Then was able to take the Yeti out with some friends to a local clubs land... Unfortunately it is mostly all mud through the woods, there is no real BA obstacles or trails like everyone else has gotten to run, but there were some decent spots for testing out the suspension and finding some points that need to be trimmed before I can really get her flexed properly.. I hope to head back down in a few weeks and get some pics while on the flex spots & few obstacles they have.. All I have is the aftermath pics of the Yeti, as well as the only pics I currently have of the sliders installed..

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii306/bluedragon436/XJ/1997%20Cherokee%20Country/20160228_101213.jpg (http://s267.photobucket.com/user/bluedragon436/media/XJ/1997%20Cherokee%20Country/20160228_101213.jpg.html)
http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii306/bluedragon436/XJ/1997%20Cherokee%20Country/20160228_120332.jpg (http://s267.photobucket.com/user/bluedragon436/media/XJ/1997%20Cherokee%20Country/20160228_120332.jpg.html)
http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii306/bluedragon436/XJ/1997%20Cherokee%20Country/20160229_151547.jpg (http://s267.photobucket.com/user/bluedragon436/media/XJ/1997%20Cherokee%20Country/20160229_151547.jpg.html)
http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii306/bluedragon436/XJ/1997%20Cherokee%20Country/20160229_151610.jpg (http://s267.photobucket.com/user/bluedragon436/media/XJ/1997%20Cherokee%20Country/20160229_151610.jpg.html)

blazer2
03-18-2016, 06:36 PM
Looks like you had some fun.

bluedragon436
03-18-2016, 11:13 PM
Looks like you had some fun.

Yeah, had a pretty good time.. Was kind of a going away event for a co-worker of mine, as well as a fellow Jeeper in our local club.. So we went down to local Jeep club's property and did an open wheel day down there.. unfortunately it's more mud then anything else really... But was still a pretty good time, and did have a good time with the obstacles that were there.. He was even happier cause his almost stock 96 XJ, that has BB and 31" AT tires was doing better in all the mud and obstacles then lifted TJ's and JK's were doing..

All that matter was how much fun we all had, and helping each other out no matter what rig they were driving.. Had a few things break out there... Had a YJ rip his complete crossmember from the bolts, so we had to strap it up and then tow him out.. My friend Mike's 98 XJ died after the alternator got full of mud & water... and he had to be pulled out of the mud hole he was in, and towed and they were able to bump start it pulling it.. (luckily it's a manual)... we followed him home and he made it all the way to a block away and the battery was too dead to support lights, so my co-worker was his headlights, and I was his tail lights and we got him home... New starter and alternator the next day and she was good to go.. Mine seemed to have gotten away with no damage, other then some spots that require some clearancing on the rear of the rear fenders... Jeff's (the co-worker who was moving to SC with the military) managed to get his muffler stuck on a root or stump, going through the last obstacle leaving the place we were at... so he had to get a new muffler and tailpipe welded up before heading down to SC, and a new alternator.. Other then that we all had a great time out there that day... Can't wait to get my brake issue taken care of, and hit it up at least one more time!!

blazer2
03-20-2016, 05:20 PM
Definitely had fun. It's good to find the little things early and close to home.

bluedragon436
03-21-2016, 01:34 AM
Definitely had fun. It's good to find the little things early and close to home.

Yeah, that was pretty much my plan... Just hoping it all stays with only being the trimming required as far as things that pop up... Right now I am fighting with what I'm pretty sure is a jacked up caliper.. Going to try and go and pickup the parts tomorrow... and hoping the weather will cooperate for me on Tuesday to be able to swap out the calipers, new pads and rotors.. but I guess we'll see...

bluedragon436
06-01-2016, 02:24 AM
Put my Dirtbound Offroad transmission bezel switch panel and wired it up.. Getting ready to head to the gym for a bit, if I get home and feel up to it, I'll try and run the wiring and install the switch panel into the XJ.. If not, will work on it more on my next days off this coming weekend...

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii306/bluedragon436/XJ/1997%20Cherokee%20Country/20160601_002007.jpg (http://s267.photobucket.com/user/bluedragon436/media/XJ/1997%20Cherokee%20Country/20160601_002007.jpg.html)
http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii306/bluedragon436/XJ/1997%20Cherokee%20Country/20160601_030023.jpg (http://s267.photobucket.com/user/bluedragon436/media/XJ/1997%20Cherokee%20Country/20160601_030023.jpg.html)
http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii306/bluedragon436/XJ/1997%20Cherokee%20Country/20160601_030041.jpg (http://s267.photobucket.com/user/bluedragon436/media/XJ/1997%20Cherokee%20Country/20160601_030041.jpg.html)

bluedragon436
08-15-2016, 04:14 AM
Friday, started off with me getting up "early"... swapped out the front calipers, rotors and pads (as I've been having some issues with at least one of the calipers sticking and causing some issues, and warping what was a new set of rotors.. Got a chance to cut & fold the rear lower portion of my rear fenders (not the lower 1/4, just the lower portion of the fender cutout & then attempted to tune my CB ant (although was unsuccessful, as it stuck @ 3 for SWR.. so got to figure out what is going on with that) ** I've since checked and verified that there is good continuity between the coax and the Jeep... as I as thinking might not have good ground between the mount and the body.. but it seems like there is.. now just need to figure out why it's stuck @ 3.... ***

Saturday I took it out to local Jeep club's land, for a day of land MX, and got a free run of a few of the trails, to make sure they were clean and ready for an upcoming event... Got to flex her out a bit as well.. will post up as soon as Photobucket stops being stupid to me...

XJ Wheeler
08-15-2016, 04:56 PM
Yep, I'd say you stretched it out more than an Olympic gymnast!

bluedragon436
08-16-2016, 09:21 AM
Yep, I'd say you stretched it out more than an Olympic gymnast!

Yeah I was pretty impressed with the setup, and the flex I got out of it... even more so for no trimming on the front fenders at all, and only a little bit of trimming @ the rear lower of the rear fenders.. Next time I go out, I want to try and see if I can't flex her a tad bit more just to see if I can, and to see where I'll be sitting in relation to the fenders, as well as the bumpstops...

XJ Wheeler
08-16-2016, 04:58 PM
No trimming! Man, I had to trim a lot when I had 31s. Must be all that down travel.

bluedragon436
08-18-2016, 04:56 PM
No trimming! Man, I had to trim a lot when I had 31s. Must be all that down travel.

Yeah, she certainly seems to have quite a bit of down travel... I think a lot of the not needing to trim is due to my 33's only being 10.5's... I'm sure if they were 12.5's, I'd have to trim more for both front and rear fenders... I'll find out one day... my baby 10.5's will work fine for me for now (got other things to work on replacing and taking care of first)...

XJ Wheeler
08-18-2016, 06:46 PM
Yeah, that extra 2" can make a big difference. I still need to flex mine out to check since the 33s. What backspacing are you running? Mines 3.75" and I wonder if that's playing into it too.

Pinkyman
08-19-2016, 07:09 AM
Yeah, that extra 2" can make a big difference.

.......................... Thats what she said :smiley-taunt002:

Really though, I cant believe how much i had to trim for my 33x12.5s... Maybe next time ill do 10.5s, since they sill rub at full flex.

The Yeti is looking good!

bluedragon436
09-21-2016, 03:21 AM
The Yeti is looking good!

Thanks.. Hoping to keep the build going... we'll see...

Took the Yeti down to a Jeep event put on by local club(s) this past weekend... had a pretty decent little obstacle course setup in one of the large arena's @ the fairgrounds... Feel like something is wrong or loose now, but maybe it's just that everything got worked in right.. so going to go out and retorque everything and look it all over, just to make sure it's all still good.. I was pretty happy with how it all worked out though, need to do some more trimming on my front fenders (haven't trimmed anything as of yet)... and can't wait to get the gears in... didn't have any issues running any of the course, but would have been even better with better gears and even more so with some lockers...
http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii306/bluedragon436/XJ/1997%20Cherokee%20Country/20160918_161648.jpg (http://s267.photobucket.com/user/bluedragon436/media/XJ/1997%20Cherokee%20Country/20160918_161648.jpg.html)
http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii306/bluedragon436/XJ/1997%20Cherokee%20Country/20160918_161551.jpg (http://s267.photobucket.com/user/bluedragon436/media/XJ/1997%20Cherokee%20Country/20160918_161551.jpg.html)
http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii306/bluedragon436/XJ/1997%20Cherokee%20Country/20160918_160700.jpg (http://s267.photobucket.com/user/bluedragon436/media/XJ/1997%20Cherokee%20Country/20160918_160700.jpg.html)
http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii306/bluedragon436/XJ/1997%20Cherokee%20Country/20160918_160336.jpg (http://s267.photobucket.com/user/bluedragon436/media/XJ/1997%20Cherokee%20Country/20160918_160336.jpg.html)
http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii306/bluedragon436/XJ/1997%20Cherokee%20Country/20160918_160324.jpg (http://s267.photobucket.com/user/bluedragon436/media/XJ/1997%20Cherokee%20Country/20160918_160324.jpg.html)
http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii306/bluedragon436/XJ/1997%20Cherokee%20Country/20160918_152319.jpg (http://s267.photobucket.com/user/bluedragon436/media/XJ/1997%20Cherokee%20Country/20160918_152319.jpg.html)
https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t34.0-12/14429438_1203427839724777_1290208565_n.jpg?oh=be2e 189acbe4aacbc9a79264f5993428&oe=57E17FF1

bluedragon436
04-18-2017, 09:37 PM
Guess it's been a bit since I updated the thread, thought for sure I had updated it before now.. Finally got the rear bumper after almost two years of waiting.. Had an owner of a shop (Joe) that is a huge sponsor of a club I'm a part of, that contacted me to find out what was going on with the bumper situation, and once I told him he contacted the owner (Mike) of the company, (this shop is a distributor of the company I ordered the bumper from) and told them what was going and he wanted to know what was up.. Mike told him that he knew nothing about what was going on that he was under the impression it had been taken care of... but he would take care off it... got the lower portion a few days later, randomly showed up on my front porch, and the upper portion about a week later. Let Joe know that I had gotten the large portions of the bumper, and that I was only waiting on the bearings and hardware for the bumper/tire carrier, as well as the mount of the tire and the flush mount LED lights I had ordered... and that I had contacted Mike to let him know that I had gotten the big parts and was waiting on the smaller parts... he told me if I didn't get the package within the week, to let him (Joe) know and he would contact Mike, and tell him that he was no longer going to be a distributor for him if he didn't take care of this situation. Got the box with the small parts about a week later... Now I am going to pull my rock rails and my front bumper and have them all stripped and have everything bed lined with Raptor liner all at the same time so they'll all look the same, can't wait to finally have the bumper I ordered over two years ago on the Jeep (finally)...

So had a pretty huge collection of boxes taking up space in my garage, had new 4.56 gears for both axles, master install kits for both axles, new carrier for the D30, Lokka lockers for both axles, new Royal Purple diff fluid, new hub bearings, new ball joints, U-joints for the front axle shafts, new rear axle seals, Solid diff covers and Alloy USA D30 seals in black. Took me far too long to finally find a shop to do the install of the gears and Lokkas... Was going to do the u-joints, hubs and such myself, but since it would only cost a little bit more to have them all installed while everything was torn apart doing the gears... so figure why not, let them take care of it all and know it's all done correctly ... Finally found a shop, took it back to the shop that did my SYE install and front end alignment a little while back. They told me would take roughly 3 days to do the install... Ended up being pushed out almost a week due to completing another Jeep project that was already in the shop on the lift when mine got there (understandable) finally got to mine, and got the front gears, locker and all the other bits done, took care of looking at my steering like I asked, and found a heim joint that had come loose in the adjuster and messed up the threads. so I ordered two new joints from the manufacturer and had them shipped through Amazon Prime to the shop, he got them two days after I ordered them, and was supposed to get my Jeep back in to do the heim joint swapped out and take care of the rear gears, lockers and seals, but that didn't happen for almost two more weeks... finally got a call last Tuesday that she was ready for pickup, did everything I could to find a ride over to pick her up.. Finally got another XJ owner that is part of the local clubs that said he'd be glad o give me a ride over to pick her up after he got home from work that evening... so got over there and I drove her home... took me a few hours to get home, since I had to pull over every 30 minutes and let the gears completely cool down, luckily for me it was a nice cool night so that helped for the cool down.. One of my last stops I noticed a slight metal/metal rubbing sound, but couldn't figure out where the sound was coming from.. but was hoping it was nothing major.

Was able to get the front end jacked up today, and after slowly rotating the drivers side, nothing sound wise other than the clicking from the locker, jack up the other side and rotate the tire and instantly hear the sound and it was in the hub area... thank goodness, cause I was willing to tear into that... anything inside the axle, was going to rent a trailer and haul it over again to the shop... pull the tire off and take a look at the stupid heat/dust shield and sure enough at the bottom it was rubbing the heck out of the back of my passenger side brake rotor.. bent that sucker back out, and no more sound... took her for a test drive for a bit to go get dinner... and no more odd sound.... I'm so happy it was something stupid and easy to take care of... and now I can get back to the break-in process.. I'm up to roughly 175 miles in a week, so am pretty happy about that.. but want to get the 500 miles knocked out as quickly, but as properly as I can... so I can get the diff fluid changed out and get her ready before I miss more events...

Pic of the Lokka in the new carrier from the shop that did the install.
http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii306/bluedragon436/XJ/1997%20Cherokee%20Country/Lokka.jpg (http://s267.photobucket.com/user/bluedragon436/media/XJ/1997%20Cherokee%20Country/Lokka.jpg.html)

Pictures of her in action the weekend (Saturday) before I loaded her up on Sunday to take her to the shop for the install... I would not have gotten her muddy rigs before taking her to the shop for the install had I know it was going to be that weekend, got an email Saturday evening saying if I could bring my XJ up on Sunday they'd start on it that Monday morning... so I rushed to clean her up as much as I could and get as much of the mud off of the suspension before I loaded her up to haul her over to the shop.. Needless to say they were not too happy about the mud that was still left behind...
http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii306/bluedragon436/XJ/1997%20Cherokee%20Country/FB_IMG_1489368139506.jpg (http://s267.photobucket.com/user/bluedragon436/media/XJ/1997%20Cherokee%20Country/FB_IMG_1489368139506.jpg.html)

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii306/bluedragon436/XJ/1997%20Cherokee%20Country/FB_IMG_1489536975326.jpg (http://s267.photobucket.com/user/bluedragon436/media/XJ/1997%20Cherokee%20Country/FB_IMG_1489536975326.jpg.html)

Poorboy
04-19-2017, 12:03 AM
The Yeti gets my seal of approval! Nice build! :bacondance:

I got your email while I was in a meeting with my local Motorsports club tonight.

You have a return message directly from me. I'm happy to answer any questions anyone has on the SMittyBilt products (I am not a representative of Smitty nor do I work for them) or my Heep in general.

bluedragon436
05-01-2017, 09:03 PM
After getting the 500 break-in miles completed.. I swapped the diff fluids out... no big chunks of metal or anything... and not too bad as far as metal glitter in the old fluid... Installed the LubeLocker gasket in the D30 (that the shop didn't install for whatever reason when the gears/lockers got done)... also drained (or attempted to) the TC, since the shop said that the fluid looked black when they installed the new speedo gear... well needless to say, there was maybe 1/8 of a quart of fluid in the TC... so am surprised that didn't grenade... and hopefully now that it has fluid in it... it won't blow up on me....

I ran a short drive around the block to make sure everything is running smoothly and no new noises... put it in 4WD to get the TC cycling the fluid now that it has some in it.. need to find some dirt/mud to try again.. cause I feel like I might have a locker or something in the front end issue... I can turn to the left just fine... but almost not at all to the right without it binding up... so not sure if that will be remedied by being on dirt and not asphalt (I really hope so)!!