PDA

View Full Version : XJ TALK SHOW! Give Away! NOCO Genius Boost

Mudderoy
10-23-2014, 10:23 AM
http://www.geniuschargers.com/boost/images/boost_full_page_spread_mustang.jpg

Thanks to the fine folks at NOCO (http://nocousa.com/) we will be giving away several of their new Genius Boost (http://www.geniuschargers.com/boost/) jump starters!

To win all you need to do is post your BEST dead battery story right here!

A winner will be selected and announced on the XJ TALK SHOW! (http://xjtalkshow.com)every other week during the Amazon You Bought What Segment!

Post, Listen, and WIN with :xjtalk: and the XJ TALK SHOW! :patriot:

** Available to continental United States only.

DustyLynnDunn
10-23-2014, 01:06 PM
Back in 1999 I was a Sr in high school and worked 3 or 4 days a week at a nice steak house. I was driving a standard 81 ford pick up that was in bad need for a battery. For two weeks I had to push start the pick up to go to school, work (nice steak house that was 5 miles out in the country), and home before I could afford a new battery. Then I had to drive it 52 miles to a auto zone just to get the battery that started leaking one month later. I'll never forget when I got off work I had to push start the old pick up on a flat gravel road in front of people eating $26 T-bones at 11pm just to go home and do it again. Learned the value of a dollar and where to park on hills driving that money pit. Enjoy your podcast, hope you enjoyed this little experience like I remember it.

Mudderoy
10-23-2014, 03:05 PM
Back in 1999 I was a Sr in high school and worked 3 or 4 days a week at a nice steak house. I was driving a standard 81 ford pick up that was in bad need for a battery. For two weeks I had to push start the pick up to go to school, work (nice steak house that was 5 miles out in the country), and home before I could afford a new battery. Then I had to drive it 52 miles to a auto zone just to get the battery that started leaking one month later. I'll never forget when I got off work I had to push start the old pick up on a flat gravel road in front of people eating $26 T-bones at 11pm just to go home and do it again. Learned the value of a dollar and where to park on hills driving that money pit. Enjoy your podcast, hope you enjoyed this little experience like I remember it.

To this day I prefer a standard over an automatic for this reason. I couldn't afford a new battery for my car either. 16 and driving back and forth to school. I'd push start it in the morning and at 3(ish) in the afternoon. I remember my legs would get very tight in my Levis after push starting and sometimes I wouldn't get it going fast enough and have to start again.

4.3LXJ
10-23-2014, 03:45 PM
Well, here we go. Back when I lived in Oregon, I had a job as a millwright at a veneer mill. I got laid off and they allowed me access to their peeler logs to cut up for firewood. I got my 64 1 ton power wagon and trailer hooked up and started into the firewood business. It was kind of heavy, three cords of green wood grossing at about 23,000# per load, but the old Dodge handled it well. That is until I loaded an extra half cord on it and took off for delivery. I threw the rear driveline going downhill of all things. So, after finding the driveline a hundred feet off the highway, I locked the hubs and shifted into 4WD and took off to make my delivery. The D70 front end was as strong as they come in a pick up and everything was going well. That is until I had to make it up a steep hill. It was wet, as was common in NW Oregon. I made it about half way up the hill and lost traction in the front end. Back down the hill I went, jackknifed the trailer and swung the truck around like it was a yo yo. All was not lost however. The trailer was built out of 1/4" and the truck was stout and upright. Something was wrong though, it didn't want to restart. I lifted the hood to see if I could find the problem, but could not. I hadn't noticed the battery was moved by all that motion and when I slammed the hood, it arced the battery cables. The battery had been discharging and the hydrogen gas ignited and the battery exploded. Well, that was it for the night I thought. We towed the truck home. The next day, I found the truck had only been flooded a little. If I had a means to power the starter, I could have eventually got is started, which is what happened when I put a fresh battery in it. I went back the next afternoon only to find someone had helped themselves to a couple of cords of wood. It was nice of them to leave the trailer I guess, but I suppose they would have needed a good rig to get it out of the ditch. If I had the Genius Boost, I could have hooked it up to the battery, even though it was tattered by the explosion, started it up and never lost all that wood I had cut that day.

abebehrmann
10-23-2014, 04:03 PM
Well, my story is a lot less interesting than Steve's but my dead battery experience wasn't actually mine. Last year, not long after I bought my Jeep, I drove it into the garage and started replacing the brake shoes in the rear. Not long after I started, my girlfriend left to go run some errands and wash her car. It was my first time touching drum brakes since I was a kid so I was taking my time to take pictures and making notes in my Haynes Manual so that I made sure I got it back together the same. After I got everything apart, I look down at my phone and see 15 missed calls and some text messages from a very angry girlfriend. It seems she drove her car into the car wash and left the accessories on while she washed it. By the time she was finished, the car wouldn't start and there was a line forming behind her. I had to put my drum brakes back together in record time, then it was off to give her a jump. The NoCo Genius Boost would have saved us both a lot of stress if she had that in her glove box. With the bonus being I wouldn't have to worry about her hooking it up wrong in an emergency and hurting herself like I would with a normal jumper pack.

Mudderoy
10-23-2014, 04:43 PM
Great stuff guys. This was exactly what we were hoping for. Things that the Genius Boost could have made things easier.

autotech98
10-23-2014, 05:33 PM
on a road trip to florida for a family members funeral in a 78 bronco. lifted 33's headers,snowplow rig.This truck was not built for a 1800 mile trip but other vehicle was out of commision. young just married not a lot of cash but determined to make it.got there a;; right except for blowing tire in georgia,had a spare no problem.12 hrs down from PA there one day and had to be back for work on monday.On the way home stopped for gas and truck wouldnt start.Of course i was pushing it and didnt stop at a well lite or well traveled area.old battery had swelled and shorted guess from heat and vibration of the trip.waited forever for someone to stop w cables so i could get a jump.made it to a truckstop and bought new battery .got home at 3 am mon morning and had to be at work at 7:30.if i would have had a booster might have got home sooner and not spent several hours in the dark in the middle of nowhere.

Mudderoy
10-23-2014, 06:28 PM
http://youtu.be/9Zyv5kztfU8

Brasscatz
10-23-2014, 09:19 PM
Most recent time, my wife called me from the store parking lot saying her Jeep wouldn't start. I was trying to diagnose it over the phone (you know that that goes with your wife) and eventually ended up driving out to save her. At this time, I didn't have any jumper cables, a jump box or anything so after I figured out it was her battery I had to remove my battery from my XJ and hook it to her car for her to start it, then swap her battery back in while running. I should add that while in the middle of this, a guy pulled up and tried to buy my XJ from me lol

Not the first time I've had to do that with vehicles, but it sure works in a pinch.

dagr8tim
10-27-2014, 10:21 AM
Batteries are one of those things that I normally keep up on and buy the premium ones and replace them every few years. Even at that I always carry a set of jumper cables in the back of the Jeep.

This didn't happen to me, but afew years ago I was working at a place that processed credit card payments for utility companies. Lots of expensive suits wandered around.

One night I was working late and the site VP comes in to our suite asking if anyone had jumper cables. Sure enough I did. Turns out a visiting senior VP of the company had left his lights on in his rental and needed to get to the airport to fly home.

Here I am with a beat up, muddy, jeep jumping a lexus rental for this VP. I didn't know who the guy was because we constantly had suits wandering around. I was just trying to be a nice guy. Afew weeks later I suddenly got a small "merit" raise that was unexpected.

That little booster would be alot more handy to carry around than a set of jumper cables.

prerunner1982
10-28-2014, 09:35 AM
It was a dark and stormy night.... I was deep in the jungle. There was gun fire in the distance and wild animals all around.... and the Jeep wouldn't start. I am either going to get killed or eaten alive. I was in the shit! no really I stepped in shit searching for the jumper cables, wouldn't have had to look for them if I had a NOCO booster in the glove box.

NOCO Booster... keeps you out of shit.

XJ Wheeler
10-28-2014, 06:10 PM
Man, that thing would come in handy! I'll give it my best shot.

In November of 2001, we had just purchased my brothers '90 jeep xj. It had a 3" lift and 31s already installed and not long after getting it we had a set of tomken rock rails put on because my brother wanted to take it to Barnwell OHV in gilmer for its maiden offroad voyage for his birthday. That's park is a few hours away for us so we had to stay overnight and no way we would be able to limp home should something go wrong. Really was a rookie thigh to do but we were novices and didn't know better. :p

The morning of the run we net up with a couple other guys to give us the tour around the park. Who by the way, had much more built rigs than the little xj. So we set out and conquered a couple trails and somehow they took a wrong and took us down a level 3 trail (out of 1-4). It was a challenging hill but after a few tries we finally made it to the top. Once we made it back around the trail we had to stop for a bit due to a 2wd dually that couldn't make it up the last hill. Good time to hang out and chat a bit. Once they got it off the trail we made it back up to the staging area. They had a stand selling hot dogs so we grabbed a few. Got to wheel with some good people and wanted to go on one more but everybody else was done. It was a lighter trail so we set off and entered the trail. But just as we do the xj stalls and now won't crank. We did happen to bring one of those big heavy jump packs and hooked it up. Decided not to undertake the trail and backed out. Turns out the throttle position sensor was failing and the battery was killed from the days activities. So we raced over to the nearest shop to get a battery. All the while trying not to let it idle cause it would stall and then have to lug the jump pack back out. And you never know when it will give up. We finally made it to a sears about twenty miles away, just before closing. And its been a ongoing joke since but we were wearing matching jeep shirts (as if that wasn't embarrassing enough) there was a guy trying to get in front of us in the store. He didn't win but the guy behind the counter thought we were together and asked him "where's your shirt?" :D !

http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h401/xj-wheeler/Chris%20Jeeps/P12401742.jpg (http://s1108.photobucket.com/user/xj-wheeler/media/Chris%20Jeeps/P12401742.jpg.html)

If we had the NOCO Genius Boost we very well could have done the trail. With its 20 jumps per charge i feel sure we could have made it. :D Plus its a whole lot easier to use and takes up less space. And we now don't have a good jump pack to crank with, all the ones we've had are far behind dead to have enough power. Have to resort to pulling a battery from something else. We also could have avoided the whole "shirt" fiasco. :smiley-laughing021:

OneArmArrowSlinger
10-29-2014, 03:09 PM
My most interesting was needing a jump in high school once. Tunes on the radio drained the battery while my gf at the time & I were parking. Had to walk to get some help but it was worth it, lol.

OldFaurt
10-29-2014, 08:17 PM
Great stuff guys. This was exactly what we were hoping for. Things that the Genius Boost could have made things easier.

First off, I think the Battery God HATES High School Guys!

When I was in High School back in 1979, I drove a 1969 Dodge van.
I had been having trouble keeping it charged so I could only go about 70 miles before I needed to charge the battery or get a jump to start it. I had to work on the other side of a small mountain. I got to work that night just fine, but on the way home I stopped to help a lady change her tire, it was 2:00 am and I was exhausted. I got the lady fixed up and she took off. I walked back to the van, just hoping it would start. It was an automatic so I had little hope to push start it. Well, guess what... you got it, not even a click. Well after a 1/2 hour or so, a guy came by but did not have jumper cables so after thinking about it for a few minutes I realized I had an extension cord in the back so I cut both ends off and twisted the 3 wires together and attached that cord to his battery + and my +. This left 1 connection to make it work.
We could not find anything else so he bumped his bumper up against mine and there was a little sparking. I got in and tried to start it and the extension cord started to smoke so he held a high idle for a few minutes to build up a charge in my battery, So while we waited, I disconnected one of the head lights and when we tried again in about 10 minutes, my van started! We took off the extension cord and he followed me to my house, God bless him! When I rebuilt the alternator, I found all of the diodes blown except 1 phase. That had just enough juice to run the van but but not charge the battery. After the rebuild I also found the battery to be toast! Well that was 1 month of pay checks I will never get back.

Sure wish I had that van now!

Philxj4L
10-31-2014, 10:40 AM
This is a story of one of those times when you place a switch just where it's needed, and it's also, THE worst place to put a switch.
It all started with the quest for more light. After much research and trawling the net, LEDs where the answer, MUCH light and low power draw. The proverbial bullet was bitten, and a fair chuck of cash was electronically handed over. The light bars arrived. Due to the stupid amount of light, And not wanting to blind oncoming drivers, so I hooked both bars onto one switch. As I'm a disabled driver, and using hand controls the switch needed to be within easy reach. The perfect place was just here.
http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a519/Philxj4L/2aa92a7afc0e82c21f697c1f8a100ccd_zpsae0da53e.jpg (http://s1281.photobucket.com/user/Philxj4L/media/2aa92a7afc0e82c21f697c1f8a100ccd_zpsae0da53e.jpg.h tml)
Everything was sweet.
Until we took the dog to the park, well, until we attempted to leave the park. That was when I discovered the switch was in the worst place it could be !
When getting out, I had inadvertently caught the switch, leaving 60 inches x 300w of bars running for over an hour, just long enough to drain the battery. Some panicked phone calls where made, and an hours wait for a friend with a booster pack to arrive and get the Jeep fired up.

4.3LXJ
10-31-2014, 10:59 AM
Well, here we go. Back when I lived in Oregon, I had a job as a millwright at a veneer mill. I got laid off and they allowed me access to their peeler logs to cut up for firewood. I got my 64 1 ton power wagon and trailer hooked up and started into the firewood business. It was kind of heavy, three cords of green wood grossing at about 23,000# per load, but the old Dodge handled it well. That is until I loaded an extra half cord on it and took off for delivery. I threw the rear driveline going downhill of all things. So, after finding the driveline a hundred feet off the highway, I locked the hubs and shifted into 4WD and took off to make my delivery. The D70 front end was as strong as they come in a pick up and everything was going well. That is until I had to make it up a steep hill. It was wet, as was common in NW Oregon. I made it about half way up the hill and lost traction in the front end. Back down the hill I went, jackknifed the trailer and swung the truck around like it was a yo yo. All was not lost however. The trailer was built out of 1/4" and the truck was stout and upright. Something was wrong though, it didn't want to restart. I lifted the hood to see if I could find the problem, but could not. I hadn't noticed the battery was moved by all that motion and when I slammed the hood, it arced the battery cables. The battery had been discharging and the hydrogen gas ignited and the battery exploded. Well, that was it for the night I thought. We towed the truck home. The next day, I found the truck had only been flooded a little. If I had a means to power the starter, I could have eventually got is started, which is what happened when I put a fresh battery in it. I went back the next afternoon only to find someone had helped themselves to a couple of cords of wood. It was nice of them to leave the trailer I guess, but I suppose they would have needed a good rig to get it out of the ditch. If I had the Genius Boost, I could have hooked it up to the battery, even though it was tattered by the explosion, started it up and never lost all that wood I had cut that day.

And now as Paul Harvey would say if he was still alive, the rest of the story. It was dark, the battery explosion had made a nice light show under the hood. I hiked to a house and called the only friend I could find that evening. Les came to the rescue with …………………………………………

wait for it …………………………………………†¦â€¦..

The Opega. It was all there was that night. His Chevy Vega with a transplanted Opel Cadet engine. Dubbed the "Opega" with the manual 4 speed tranny and custom multicolored paint job. I had a tow chain with me and we hooked it up. The clutch was smoking and we made sure we didn't stop once the little Opega that could got my 14.000# truck and green firewood going. We hit Interstate 5 with the little Chevy floor boarded pulling the big Dodge at a blistering 45 mph. Then there were lights in the mirror and we pulled over. The OSP officer walked up shaking his head, just sure there was a citation here someplace. "You modified this truck" he said. "You put big tires on it." "No, it came from the factory with those 36" tires." Looking at the little Opega, he said "You lifted it" "Nah, stock suspension" It was sort of tall, the bed being about the same height as the roof of the Opega. "Where are your mud flaps?" "Never had them from the factory" "Honest Officer, this is the way it was made." Mostly. I didn't want to get into the big block V8 engine transplant and stuff like that. He shook his head and sort of smiled and got back in his car and off he went. Now If I had the Genius Boost, just think, that poor officer would not have had his evening entertainment to break up an otherwise boring job.

runnerswife
11-04-2014, 12:30 PM
Okay so when Jon ( preunner1982) and I were dating we met up in town one day I was sick as hell that day but hadn't seen him in a few days. So we ended up at 7-11. Where he gave me the key to the apartment. Told me to go ahead and go there and he would stop and get me some medicine. So I left. A long time later I hear his loud truck pull up. He comes in slamming the door, stomping up the stairs and chews my butt out about how his truck didn't start, and how he was trying to wave me down and I ignored him. He was furious. So to this day I will not leave a parking lot if he and I are in different vehicles until I hear his jeep start up or he gives me a thumbs up. So if we had one of the Noco Genius Boost it could save an old argument from happening again.

prerunner1982
11-04-2014, 12:43 PM
^^^^ True story. :D

Brasscatz
11-05-2014, 07:28 AM
Lol good story.... but I'm assuming your cell phone was broken, Jon :D

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

prerunner1982
11-05-2014, 10:38 AM
Lol good story.... but I'm assuming your cell phone was broken, Jon :D

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Cell Phone? ..... I think at that time (about 12 yrs ago) one of us did not yet have a cell phone.

runnerswife
11-05-2014, 12:26 PM
On a side note to that story.....I never got any medicine that day. Haha

Mudderoy
11-11-2014, 08:38 AM
The FIRST NOCO GeniusBoost jump start has been given away!

Congratulations to our winners!

Winners? Yes! We gave away one GeniusBoost and two Amazon Gift certificates, to the 1st, 2nd and 3rd place winners!

If you haven't heard the show yet, here is the link...

http://traffic.libsyn.com/tonymuckleroy/154-XJ_TALK_SHOW-110614.mp3

http://traffic.libsyn.com/tonymuckleroy/154-XJ_TALK_SHOW-110614.mp3

Now we move to our 2nd giveaway of another NOCO Genius Boost!

runnerswife
11-11-2014, 08:44 AM
Whoop whoop!

NW99XJ
11-11-2014, 09:06 AM
The FIRST NOCO GeniusBoost jump start has been given away!

Now we move to our 2nd giveaway of another NOCO Genius Boost!

THATS RIGHT!!!
Now its time for you guys to get creative.
If you've already posted up a story, don't fret, you can still be in the running.
All you have to do is post up another story.
Use your creative juices (just wipe the keyboard when you're done please) :headbag: :crazy:
...and tell us a story about a perilous jump start, or a frightful dead battery discovery... maybe a tale of honor and valor rescuing someone from the side of the road.
All it takes is for you to enter, and you could be in the running for our next NOCO Genius Boost Giveaway! (winner will be announced 11/20/14)

Just go to http://xjtalk.com/noco and post your DEAD battery story for the 2nd NOCO GeniusBoost Giveaway!