PDA

View Full Version : The Challenge Build

Pages : [1] 2

xj-jake
10-20-2014, 09:33 AM
Well since I have a challenge that has been thrown down and some fun things are going to be happening to my jeep in the next couple months I figured I would start a build thread and do my best to keep it updated.

First the challenge.

We are planning a family get together for next summer in the Black Hills of South Dakota. Myself and the Mrs along with my parents are in Minnesota. My sister and brother in law are in Austin Texas and my brother and sister in law are in Denver. My brother wants to meet somewhere with lots of things to do but his hidden agenda is so that we can get together to do some wheeling together which I'm all for. He has a really cool Scout that his wife bought him for his birthday on the cheap in Colorado. Rust free just needed some TLC.

xj-jake
10-20-2014, 09:36 AM
So I get a text from him last week saying "I think you better get used to looking at this." Well my little brother has a bit of an ego so after so friendly brotherly banter the challenge was accepted and things are probably gonna get a little crazy.

xj-jake
10-20-2014, 09:45 AM
I'm on my second Jeep and I got bit by the bug hard. My first was an 88 XJ that I bought stock and did a little building to. I enjoy tinkering on stuff so this was the perfect vehicle for me to play with and kinda figure out a route that I wanted to go with the next one. I bought it for $500 from a guy in town I used to work for. Saved up some cash and bought a lift and started a new addiction besides partying. (I've been dry for 3 1/2 years) I sold this Jeep after 3 years to my fiancé's brother for $800 and it is still running to this day with close to 250K on the odometer.

xj-jake
10-20-2014, 09:48 AM
Moar

xj-jake
10-20-2014, 10:02 AM
I took this Jeep as far as I dared. Minnesota vehicle all it's life and there wasn't much metal left to build what I wanted. Plus my girl was embarrassed to ride around in a rusted out Jeep that would go anywhere, but also be within 10 degrees of the outside temperature. She was a little drafty. So I started the mind numbing craigslist search for a new Jeep. Weeks of searching left me frustrated because I was being a little picky. It finally came down to where I was going to start looking for a TJ. Finally I ran across a very bland looking ad with no photos. We exchanged a few emails and he finally just gave me his number. We chatted on the phone for a little bit and I realized I found the jeep I wanted. We set up a time and drove 3 hours to go look at it. It was as stated with a long arm kit installed, including the T-case cross member and custom built drive shafts, pinion shims, etc. We drove down to look at it and I ended up buying it for $300 less than his asking price plus a whole cargo are full of extra parts. After selling the extra crap I didn't need I ended up being $2000 into this 99 XJ with a 4 1/2" long arm kit.

4.3LXJ
10-20-2014, 10:12 AM
Tail lights eh? That suspension you have is much flexier than the Scout leaf springs. Throw a lunch box locker in that nice looking Jeep and you can show him yours, and have time to do a little reading while he catches up

gary63
10-20-2014, 10:25 AM
will you my still by seeing a lot of he's rear lights you may have to double back and pull him out a lot. the jeep looks good have fun.

xj-jake
10-20-2014, 10:59 AM
The pics of the new blue one were shortly after I got it. I took my 31-10.50's off the old one and put them on there. It had 30-9.50's when I got it just looked stupid. Then I got to thinking. I had a set of lift shackles on my old one. So I swapped out shackles on my gravel driveway to give me the extra boost in the rear of the Blue Jeep. Called and ordered a set of 6 1/2" lift coils for the front (also changed in the driveway) and had a 6 1/2" long arm Jeep sitting in the driveway. Begged borrowed and stole a few parts from here and there. Ended up buying a set of 17" Pro Comp wheels via a junk yard for $200 and selling the 30" tires that came on the Jeep for $200. Even swap and I love the look of the 17's.

xj-jake
10-20-2014, 11:04 AM
A few things have changed since that photo. New bumper and new lighting setup. Jcr rear panels to "hide rust" and for some protection. I'm almost done catching things up here then we can move on to the new stuff. Somewhere after the bumper and before the lights I had to upgrade to a Durango steering box. That was a fairly simple upgrade that was money well spent. I have no regrets doing that at all.

xj-jake
10-20-2014, 11:30 AM
Here's where the fun starts. I'm picking up a new set of rims and tires this week. (another craigslist find) 34-12.50-15's Rims are good tires are about 2/3 tread. For $350 I can't pass that deal up and it's a 10 minute drive. As you can see the rockers are nearly, well mostly, gone. I ordered tube and some angle for that project and started yesterday. $69 for the tube and some pieces of angle. I may need some pieces of flat for the inside. I'm thinking of making some sort of nut strip to run inside the cab on the rocker panel backer plate. It's pretty thin and I think this will give me the best stability out of it. The rest will be welded. I have only cut out the drivers side and you could have fit everything I cut out into an ice cream pail.

XJ Wheeler
10-20-2014, 11:12 PM
Love the challenge! Sounds like a good time.

Give us plenty of pics of that rocker replacement. Need to do mine too.

cantab27
10-20-2014, 11:48 PM
A few things have changed since that photo. New bumper and new lighting setup. Jcr rear panels to "hide rust" and for some protection. I'm almost done catching things up here then we can move on to the new stuff. Somewhere after the bumper and before the lights I had to upgrade to a Durango steering box. That was a fairly simple upgrade that was money well spent. I have no regrets doing that at all.

just send him the first pic .....tell him to get use to that view and you will be using his recovery gear ............:rolleye0012:

xj-jake
10-21-2014, 08:08 AM
Love the challenge! Sounds like a good time.

Give us plenty of pics of that rocker replacement. Need to do mine too.

Will do Jake. If there are any pictures that any of you want in particular or questions or explanation you want ask now. I will take photos and answer questions as I can. The drivers side rocker will be getting worked on tomorrow afternoon. This is the time to ask because there's not a lot of detailed info out there as like with some other mods. It's hard to know exactly what other people want to see and hear.

xj-jake
10-21-2014, 09:43 AM
I can't believe nobody caught on to the obvious here. 34-12.50's on a Dana 35... :anyone:

XJ Wheeler
10-21-2014, 05:12 PM
Will do Jake. If there are any pictures that any of you want in particular or questions or explanation you want ask now. I will take photos and answer questions as I can. The drivers side rocker will be getting worked on tomorrow afternoon. This is the time to ask because there's not a lot of detailed info out there as like with some other mods. It's hard to know exactly what other people want to see and hear.

Yeah, i've researched a ton on this and most don't give good photos or info on one particular part. The inner factory rocker. How much did you cut off and how are you tying/welding the tubing into the backside? I've seen some welding angle inside the rocker before putting the tubing on.

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

xj-jake
10-21-2014, 05:22 PM
Yeah, i've researched a ton on this and most don't give good photos or info on one particular part. The inner factory rocker. How much did you cut off and how are you tying/welding the tubing into the backside? I've seen some welding angle inside the rocker before putting the tubing on.

That is the part that I am debating at this point. The inner factory rocker has the inside part of the pinch seam attached to it. As of right now I have cut that part flush with the bottom of the floor pan. I will be putting new floors in this next spring so for right now I am going to bolt angle through the inner rocker and place a "nut strip" or big washers on the inside under the carpet. The rest of the tube rocker will be welded in. When I tear the floors out, along the side I'll be able to remove the bolts and tie the floor into the already welded in tube rockers and have good sturdy metal to weld to. (in theory) I hope this clears it up. I will be using 2 pieces of angle. One on the inner factory rocker and one for the door sill to replace the rusted parts there.

XJ Wheeler
10-21-2014, 05:29 PM
That is the part that I am debating at this point. The inner factory rocker has the inside part of the pinch seam attached to it. As of right now I have cut that part flush with the bottom of the floor pan. I will be putting new floors in this next spring so for right now I am going to bolt angle through the inner rocker and place a "nut strip" or big washers on the inside under the carpet. The rest of the tube rocker will be welded in. When I tear the floors out, along the side I'll be able to remove the bolts and tie the floor into the already welded in tube rockers and have good sturdy metal to weld to. (in theory) I hope this clears it up. I will be using 2 pieces of angle. One on the inner factory rocker and one for the door sill to replace the rusted parts there.

Sounds like a plan! Ya got me thinking now...

xj-jake
10-21-2014, 05:35 PM
Sounds like a plan! Ya got me thinking now...

My other option right now is to cut the inner rocker out and replace that with a piece of 1/8"x4 ish flat steel. That way I can eliminate the second chunk of angle. But if I do that then I need to work on the floor now which I really don't have time for. I don't see that other angle being in there as a bad thing. I tend to over engineer things. I will be working on this tomorrow afternoon if you want or need any photos.

XJ Wheeler
10-21-2014, 05:52 PM
My other option right now is to cut the inner rocker out and replace that with a piece of 1/8"x4 ish flat steel. That way I can eliminate the second chunk of angle. But if I do that then I need to work on the floor now which I really don't have time for. I don't see that other angle being in there as a bad thing. I tend to over engineer things. I will be working on this tomorrow afternoon if you want or need any photos.

A little hard to picture since i've never done it nor there to see it but i think the first plan will work out since you can't do the floors yet. Have you thought about tying into the "frame rail"? I have a set of stiffeners that i am going to be welding on soon to provide a base but the endless ways to do the braces i just wanted to know if you had a design in mind.

It really seems like there's an infinite amount of ways to go about this mod.

xj-jake
10-21-2014, 06:30 PM
A little hard to picture since i've never done it nor there to see it but i think the first plan will work out since you can't do the floors yet. Have you thought about tying into the "frame rail"? I have a set of stiffeners that i am going to be welding on soon to provide a base but the endless ways to do the braces i just wanted to know if you had a design in mind.

It really seems like there's an infinite amount of ways to go about this mod.

I will be tying back into the rails as soon as I get everything else done. Then again do I fab up frame stiffeners before I tie in the rockers? You are right there are endless ways. Honestly I'm kinda flying by the seat of my pants on this. Just grab a cutting wheel and go. It will all work out in the end and be way stronger than when it rolled off the assembly line.

XJ Wheeler
10-21-2014, 06:48 PM
I will be tying back into the rails as soon as I get everything else done. Then again do I fab up frame stiffeners before I tie in the rockers? You are right there are endless ways. Honestly I'm kinda flying by the seat of my pants on this. Just grab a cutting wheel and go. It will all work out in the end and be way stronger than when it rolled off the assembly line.

I do think a good base is important if you're bracing to the frame. It doesn't have to be full stiffeners but i do think that's best.

I have a feeling that's how its gonna be for me. Once i get in there, the plan will fall into place.

Good luck bud!

abebehrmann
10-22-2014, 10:39 AM
I can't believe nobody caught on to the obvious here. 34-12.50's on a Dana 35... :anyone:

Make sure to pack extra shafts! But then again, there is a guy down here with 35''s on his D35 and he's been trying for the past 6 months to break it and he just can't get it to go.

xj-jake
10-22-2014, 10:42 AM
I'm thinking this.

http://www.4wd.com/Jeep-Drivetrain-Jeep-Axles-Differentials/Dana-35-Chromoly-Rear-Axle-Kit.aspx?t_c=12&t_s=237&t_pt=5564&t_pn=ALY12200

abebehrmann
10-22-2014, 10:47 AM
You could probably pick up a 29-spline 8.25 for cheaper than those shafts, I would think it would at least be as strong as a Dana35 with the new shafts in it and you would have the option of further strengthening it in the future if you so desire. Just a thought.

xj-jake
10-22-2014, 10:53 AM
You could probably pick up a 29-spline 8.25 for cheaper than those shafts, I would think it would at least be as strong as a Dana35 with the new shafts in it and you would have the option of further strengthening it in the future if you so desire. Just a thought.

I have been looking for months. I've even considered buying another jeep just for the sole reason of switching axles. Everything used I find has a zillion miles on it and they are pretty much non existent in the yards up here.

abebehrmann
10-22-2014, 12:36 PM
That is a real bummer. They are practically a dime-a-dozen down here in Florida.

bluedragon436
10-22-2014, 12:47 PM
Yeah I'd say hit up a JY and pick yourself up a 29spline 8.25 axle, that'd def give you a bit more reliability and strength for those tires... Another option that would be a bit more work to install would be picking up a 8.8 out of an Explorer w/ the factory limited slip... even better if you can get one with 4:10 gears, then you'll be better ready to leave your brother behind or pull him out of any predicaments he manages to get himself into trying to keep up with you and go where you go!!

xj-jake
10-23-2014, 08:45 AM
Yeah I'd say hit up a JY and pick yourself up a 29spline 8.25 axle, that'd def give you a bit more reliability and strength for those tires... Another option that would be a bit more work to install would be picking up a 8.8 out of an Explorer w/ the factory limited slip... even better if you can get one with 4:10 gears, then you'll be better ready to leave your brother behind or pull him out of any predicaments he manages to get himself into trying to keep up with you and go where you go!!

It's still an option I'm not ruling it out but it better happen fast because winter is coming and I work on the jeep outside... I've considered the 8.8 but my gut tells me this jeep will soon be going beyond that. We watched the episode of Extreme Offroad where Egodfrey had his XJ built by Ian Johnson. After that the Mrs suggested we make my Jeep offroad only. I like her thinking.

abebehrmann
10-23-2014, 09:32 AM
I was surprised when I started researching the Ford 8.8. Despite being a c-clip axle, they are actually really strong. I've seen some people running 35s with these without upgrading a thing and people with upgraded shafts and truss with 37s.

4.3LXJ
10-23-2014, 11:19 AM
It's still an option I'm not ruling it out but it better happen fast because winter is coming and I work on the jeep outside... I've considered the 8.8 but my gut tells me this jeep will soon be going beyond that. We watched the episode of Extreme Offroad where Egodfrey had his XJ built by Ian Johnson. After that the Mrs suggested we make my Jeep offroad only. I like her thinking.

She is a keeper :thumbsup:

xj-jake
10-23-2014, 12:04 PM
I agree Steve, and she's easy on the eyes. Time for some more in process pics.

xj-jake
10-23-2014, 12:07 PM
moar

xj-jake
10-23-2014, 01:07 PM
Semi Finished Product

xj-jake
10-23-2014, 01:09 PM
moar

OneArmArrowSlinger
10-23-2014, 01:47 PM
Like it a lot! I did my rockers the same way and love how they came out so I'm sure you will too. It's too bad you're gonna make such a sweet looking old Scout look bad, rofl

xj-jake
10-23-2014, 02:00 PM
Like it a lot! I did my rockers the same way and love how they came out so I'm sure you will too. It's too bad you're gonna make such a sweet looking old Scout look bad, rofl

Not gonna lie I really used your build to model to do this. It worked out very well.

4.3LXJ
10-23-2014, 02:51 PM
Looks like that is turning out quite well

xj-jake
10-27-2014, 08:38 AM
Well now I kinda feel like a dick for taking this sibling rivalry to the verge of sanity. My brother called on Saturday to firm up the dates for the 4x4 showdown in the Black Hills and he had me on speaker phone with his wife on the phone too which I thought was weird. It's weird for my brother to call in the first place. So we confirmed dates and talked vehicles etc and went about the day. Last night out of the blue he calls me again. He says he's gotta tell me something. Well he says I'm gonna be an uncle, and not once but twice! They've been holding off on saying anything to anyone but she's 12 weeks pregnant with TWINS. I'm excited as hell for them and now I could care less about the challenge I just wanna see my new nieces/nephews next summer.

4.3LXJ
10-27-2014, 10:43 AM
Congrats on the new family. If you can wheel with the kids, that makes it even better. I did with mine, car seats and all

Brasscatz
10-27-2014, 11:10 PM
Awesome dude! Congrats!

XJ Wheeler
10-28-2014, 03:36 AM
Wow man! That's awesome. You may have to let him lead once now. :D Congrats on the upcoming uncle-hood(?)!

xj-jake
10-28-2014, 09:52 AM
Just cuz he's having twins doesn't mean I'm gonna go easy on him.

xj-jake
10-28-2014, 09:58 AM
Finished pics with a little paint. I'm going to paint up to the body line and I have to run some seam sealer of some sort to prevent rust from creeping in places I don't want.

xj-jake
10-28-2014, 10:38 AM
I'm contemplating a WJ knuckle swap now. What would I need besides the knuckles, spacer, rotors, calipers, etc and what am I gaining by going this way? I like bolt in junkyard stuff.

4.3LXJ
10-28-2014, 10:51 AM
You gain bigger and better brakes and a lower drag link angle

xj-jake
10-28-2014, 02:23 PM
After driving this thing around for a little bit I'm VERY impressed at how much doing this stiffened up the unibody. Such a positive feel on the road and it helps to sort out where all the odd noises are coming from.

XJ Wheeler
10-28-2014, 07:04 PM
Man! Looks good Jake! Glad ya got it done and pretty quickly too.

OneArmArrowSlinger
10-29-2014, 08:50 AM
Congrats to your fam! The XJ is looking great man. As to the WJ knuckles, I'm doing it right now and I think it will be worth it for sure. I think one of the most important things I read was that you need Akebono style brakes, not the other style. Don't remember name cuz its a no no anyhow. Need WJ knuckles, spacers, ball joints from XJ & WJ (upper is from one, lower another, I think WJ upper but need to check), rotors, calipers, caliper brackets w/ bolts, pads & brake hardware, then you'll have to upgrade your steering while you're at it, I am using Ruff Stuff heims & DOM tube from the local machine shop (1.5" X .25" wall). I'll see if I can put together a complete parts list today & tomorrow, dig out receipts & get part numbers etc.

xj-jake
10-29-2014, 08:57 AM
As of right now I'm tabling the WJ swap and looking into beefier steering. I would like some info on your homebrew steering though. I'm thinking about fabbing up my own OTK setup or buying one I'm not sure yet.

OneArmArrowSlinger
10-29-2014, 09:16 AM
As of right now I'm tabling the WJ swap and looking into beefier steering. I would like some info on your homebrew steering though. I'm thinking about fabbing up my own OTK setup or buying one I'm not sure yet.

Someone please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but the only way to get OTK on an XJ is to lose the Y style steering & stock knuckles. You can still upgrade to 1 ton but not OTK but I could be mistaken. I'll see if I can find that invoice from Ruff Stuff and you can see what all I have ordered for the project.

4.3LXJ
10-29-2014, 09:58 AM
Almost correct on that Jonathan. If you use the right hand drive drag link it will flip and give you the best steering.

xj-jake
10-29-2014, 10:03 AM
http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=IROR&Product_Code=IR-TOTKS&Category_Code=XST

OneArmArrowSlinger
10-29-2014, 10:32 AM
Thanks guys, I was wrong

07Negative
10-31-2014, 04:45 PM
Good lookin Jeep man. My buddy just picked up a Limited in that color. I would suggest the frame stiffiners along with what you have. I noticed a good difference with mine on. You can then add 3 2x2 posts from those up to your rockers/sliders. Makes for a very stable rocker.
I would do the WJ knuckle swap as well. I'm also trying to convince my buddy into doing it. The braking is huge difference. We have a great resource here in Cali for parts. They are 5 acres of nothing but jeeps. http://www.jwjeep.com/
For my build. I've gotten almost all my parts from Frank at : www.seriousoffroadproducts.com. Use discount code: NAXJA for 5% off. He's great to do biz with. I've installed 2 of Franks steering kits and all I can say is "WOW!" killer stuff. He's in CO too. Not horribly far from you.
You can build your own drag link and tie rod pretty easily from a place that sells metal. Pick up heims or TRE's for the WJ knuckles. Or you could order from RuffStuff, but shipping might not make it worth the effort. But if you can get DOM. Just order heims/TRE and you should be good.
I wished I had saved some links I found useful for the WJ swap. Some say you need 1/8" spacer for the calipers depending on which caliper you use. But there is a caliper that'll work without the spacer. I'm just not sure which it is.
What part of MN are you in? I'm from Iowa but also lived up there and quite a bit of my family is up there. I can have my uncle keep an eye out. I've got Family in ND as well. All the way in Dickenson. But my uncle there would go pull a 8.25 for ya.
Also consider this. A D60 from a Ford E350. If you plan on going bananas with this XJ. That's all the axle (rear of course) you'll need. But then you have to consider gears and whatnot.

xj-jake
11-03-2014, 10:09 AM
Good lookin Jeep man. My buddy just picked up a Limited in that color. I would suggest the frame stiffiners along with what you have. I noticed a good difference with mine on. You can then add 3 2x2 posts from those up to your rockers/sliders. Makes for a very stable rocker.
I would do the WJ knuckle swap as well. I'm also trying to convince my buddy into doing it. The braking is huge difference. We have a great resource here in Cali for parts. They are 5 acres of nothing but jeeps. http://www.jwjeep.com/
For my build. I've gotten almost all my parts from Frank at : www.seriousoffroadproducts.com. Use discount code: NAXJA for 5% off. He's great to do biz with. I've installed 2 of Franks steering kits and all I can say is "WOW!" killer stuff. He's in CO too. Not horribly far from you.
You can build your own drag link and tie rod pretty easily from a place that sells metal. Pick up heims or TRE's for the WJ knuckles. Or you could order from RuffStuff, but shipping might not make it worth the effort. But if you can get DOM. Just order heims/TRE and you should be good.
I wished I had saved some links I found useful for the WJ swap. Some say you need 1/8" spacer for the calipers depending on which caliper you use. But there is a caliper that'll work without the spacer. I'm just not sure which it is.
What part of MN are you in? I'm from Iowa but also lived up there and quite a bit of my family is up there. I can have my uncle keep an eye out. I've got Family in ND as well. All the way in Dickenson. But my uncle there would go pull a 8.25 for ya.
Also consider this. A D60 from a Ford E350. If you plan on going bananas with this XJ. That's all the axle (rear of course) you'll need. But then you have to consider gears and whatnot.

At this point things MAY get bananas so I thing I'm better off with heims and leaving the axle and brakes be for the time being. If it goes it goes. Steve 4.3LXJ has been abusing one for how long so why can't I? On a side note I picked up the 34's on Saturday $350 hopefully I can get them put on Wednesday and figure out how much trimming I need to do. Bump stops will need to be adjusted too I'm sure. I'm getting in pretty deep here so at this point it's risk vs reward. I'm not gonna dump a ton into these axles, at some point they will be gone. What I am putting into them I want to be sure I'll be able to sell when the bigger ones come along. Mrs is adamant about making it offroad only. Ideally I'd love to be on tons and road legal. We shall see.

xj-jake
11-06-2014, 09:21 AM
Got the rims and tires picked up on Saturday and finally got around to putting them on last night. Was a little worried about how much I'd have to trim but so far nothing is rubbing.

Before with 265-75-17 and after with 34-12.50-15 Interco Truxus MT making the diaper vipers (mini-vans) look stupid.

4.3LXJ
11-06-2014, 09:25 AM
Very nice Jake. Poor Scout will turn green …………………………… from envy

07Negative
11-07-2014, 02:08 PM
That's a hell of a deal you got on this wheels and tires.

xj-jake
11-14-2014, 01:12 PM
Okay guys so you know I work at a Ram Dodge Jeep dealership. One of the other guys in here traded in an 02 2500 Ram with 5.9 Cummins in it. 300+ miles on it. This has Dana 70 rear and 60 front in it. 6 speed manual tranny. The guy that traded it in put an ARB Locker and on board air setup. IF I can get a steal on this thing I'm thinking after a rebuild these could be my XJ axles? Thoughts and concerns on this idea please. I'd buy the truck keep the axles and part out the rest.

4.3LXJ
11-14-2014, 01:22 PM
I have had 70s in an older one ton Dodge I had. They are huge. Think about ground clearance for a moment. A 60 with 38s has about the same clearance under the diffs as a 35 on 31s. D44 is as big as I would want to go on an XJ. If you get one of those for the rear, you can build 35 spline axles into it and have the same axle strength. Also, I have seen an XJ with a front 60 in person (belongs to a friend of mine). You sacrifice up travel in the suspension due to the size of the diff. I think you would be money ahead with a 9" and D44 from a Ford pickup and have something just as strong for wheeling purposes

xj-jake
11-14-2014, 01:59 PM
That's exactly the info I was looking for. I may just for giggles pick this up anyways to part it out. I should be able to own it for $3000. Then again it's winter and that poses all kinds of issues..

xj-jake
11-14-2014, 03:26 PM
How about this one Steve? Or what are your thoughts on a D44 from a Grand Cherokee?

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/dak/pts/4708297338.html

4.3LXJ
11-14-2014, 03:50 PM
A D44 is a D44. But I think the postal Jeep track width would be too narrow. When you get one, that is a question you need to ask. How wide is it. As near as I can tell, it is about 6" too narrow

xj-jake
11-17-2014, 08:39 AM
Ran across this what do you guys think? Its almost as hard as finding an XJ 44.

http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/transmission-drivetrain/154-0705-used-jeep-dana-44-axles/

4.3LXJ
11-17-2014, 09:29 AM
That works. Bear in mind they have a six lug wheel bolt pattern though. But other than that, go for it

xj-jake
11-17-2014, 01:53 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0SNCmoaQ5g&feature=youtu.be

editedforsafety
11-17-2014, 04:17 PM
How about this one Steve? Or what are your thoughts on a D44 from a Grand Cherokee?

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/dak/pts/4708297338.html

The 44's in Grands are the aluminum center section 44A. Parts are harder to come by and the aluminum can crack if you bang it off something. It would not be worth the trouble to swap in.

xj-jake
11-18-2014, 09:24 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xgr1K_dy5Qc

4.3LXJ
11-18-2014, 10:52 AM
The Scout hasn't got a chance :D

xj-jake
11-25-2014, 06:41 PM
Okay I'm pretty sure I just snagged a holy grail of XJ parts. Found a discreet ad for a Dana 44 from an XJ. Phone tag back and forth a little bit but finally got to talk to the guy. Welded spiders but it was never run with the gears welded. They're almost non existant anymore. Spider set runs about $170, Lokka runs $215 ish... Am I nuts buying this thing sight unseen or is it worth it anyways?

4.3LXJ
11-25-2014, 07:17 PM
You might have to replace the whole carrier depending on how it was welded. But the D44 is the most buildable of the XJ diffs

XJ Wheeler
11-26-2014, 12:08 AM
Depends on the price to me.

xj-jake
11-26-2014, 08:00 AM
Steve I talked to the guy on the phone last night he said just the spiders were welded. $325 and he will deliver to me cuz he's 3.5 hours one way from home.

4.3LXJ
11-26-2014, 10:14 AM
Better be jumping on that. Those spiders will be a pain though. You will need a torch to remove them even so. But hey, a lunch box locker will fix that. I just happen to be staring at one as I type this for a D44 :D

xj-jake
11-26-2014, 10:36 AM
Better be jumping on that. Those spiders will be a pain though. You will need a torch to remove them even so. But hey, a lunch box locker will fix that. I just happen to be staring at one as I type this for a D44 :D

I couldn't pass up the deal. I had to say yes and we are working out delivery details now.

4.3LXJ
11-26-2014, 10:40 AM
Good luck on the build. You going to lock it?

xj-jake
11-26-2014, 11:59 AM
Good luck on the build. You going to lock it?

One thing is for sure I will not put it back to factory. $175 for new spiders makes no sense when I can throw a Lokka in it for $220 ish. If I get super cheap I could just run it the way it is for now and look at lockers in the future. I'm gonna tear it all down when I get it just to look at bearings and seals etc. I think I'll evaluate at that time which exact direction I will go with it. For all I know it needs brakes and wheel cylinders and all the guts. I'm just ready for another project. The tube rockers went way too fast lol.

xj-jake
12-09-2014, 02:23 PM
I'm a glutton for punishment. Found this the other day just not sure how much I wanna bury myself.

http://stcloud.craigslist.org/cto/4780095552.html

XJ Wheeler
12-09-2014, 05:28 PM
I'm a glutton for punishment. Found this the other day just not sure how much I wanna bury myself.

http://stcloud.craigslist.org/cto/4780095552.html

Just over a thousand made that year with the diesel. Same engine they put in the old cj10.

xj-jake
12-09-2014, 05:36 PM
Just over a thousand made that year with the diesel. Same engine they put in the old cj10.

Any info good or bad on that engine Jake? I'm a newb for diesels but this thing has my attention for some reason. Body looks decent enough for a Minnesota vehicle..

XJ Wheeler
12-10-2014, 04:47 AM
Any info good or bad on that engine Jake? I'm a newb for diesels but this thing has my attention for some reason. Body looks decent enough for a Minnesota vehicle..

Its probably worth it if the body is in good shape, most scouts aren't. But those motors are HARD to find parts for. Ours has an external bypass oil filter just because the stock ones are so difficult to locate.At least that's the story i was told. I don't have much tech time with it because its such a rust bucket. The body is toast, and i mean every bit.

They're are unique though. Its an international harvester with a Nissan diesel with a few Chrysler and Mitsubishi parts thrown on. :crazy:

xj-jake
01-07-2015, 08:55 AM
My brother is getting a little restless for the babies to show up. He has his dog test out all the stuff to make sure its safe for them...

xj-jake
01-27-2015, 10:34 AM
31's

bluedragon436
01-27-2015, 10:40 AM
31's

That doesn't look too bad at all.. At least now I have an idea what mine will look like once I get the 6.5" IRO lift on there with my 31's... till I can afford some larger shoes!!!

4.3LXJ
01-27-2015, 10:53 AM
31s can look good as long as you don't trim your fenders

xj-jake
03-26-2015, 09:21 AM
Well I know this doesn't have ANYTHING to do with building a Jeep, but since it came up along the way I'm putting it in here anyways.

Got a call from my mom last night around 9 (which is odd) saying that there were some baby issues. For those that haven't been following my brother and his wife are having twins, due for delivery in the end of April. She hadn't been feeling well for the last few days and finally last night they had to go to the hospital.

Her BP was 191/ 120 and of course it was stressing the babies. They started giving the twins some steroids in case they needed to take them early if they couldn't get her bp to come down.

So I just talked to my brother and things are stable but, they will be taking the babies in the next 10 days. We are hoping things will be okay, the babies are healthy from what the can tell. Instead of having to wait til the end of April it's only a few more days.

Keep my family in your thoughts and prayers and I'll try to update when I know more.

4.3LXJ
03-26-2015, 10:20 AM
So many pregnancy complications lately. Prayer sent up bro

XJ Wheeler
03-26-2015, 10:26 AM
You got it Jake. Sounds very similar to Brasscatz situation and that's going very well. I'll be praying...

xj-jake
03-26-2015, 02:29 PM
Well the update came a little sooner than I'd hoped. After getting mom stabilized she started getting headaches and feeling dizzy again. Her BP spiked again and now she's getting fluid on her lungs. The steroids they gave to help strengthen the babies is going to have to do.

They are taking the babies tomorrow afternoon for the safety of mother and children. They aren't even due until May 16, so you can understand my concern. My parents are getting on the road this afternoon to drive out and help where needed. My brother's children are gonna turn me gray and give me ulcers before they're even born!!!

Again please guys just keep us in your thoughts and prayers.

Thank You :xjtalk:

autotech98
03-26-2015, 06:59 PM
Will do man

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547

Brasscatz
03-29-2015, 01:52 PM
I hope everything turned out okay..... prayers sent

xj-jake
03-30-2015, 08:57 AM
Well here's the baby update. They're here and everything went just fine. Mom and babies are healthy. They both came out kicking and screaming and neither one had any ill effects. No incubator and they are both breathing on their own just fine. Without further ado my niece and nephew, Nicholas Garrett and Ella Rose. That's my dad and mom with their new grandchildren.

4.3LXJ
03-30-2015, 10:37 AM
:congrats:

Brasscatz
03-30-2015, 07:53 PM
Woohoo!

XJ Wheeler
03-31-2015, 12:42 AM
That's awesome! God is good!

autotech98
04-04-2015, 08:10 AM
Glad to hear everything went well.

xj-jake
04-13-2015, 02:06 PM
Okay let's get this back to a Jeep build instead of everything else.

I got the Dana 44 sitting in my garage finally. I'm gonna pull the cover and make sure everything is kosher inside. Pull the drums and make sure brakes and bearings etc are all good to go. I may replace the backing plates (they look pretty rusty) and all the brake guts to be safe.

What parts besides u-bolts, plates, brake lines am I all gonna need. My driveshaft and u-joint should work fine right? Help me out here guys!

4.3LXJ
04-13-2015, 02:51 PM
First off, the usual U joint for the D44 is a Spicer 1330. Yours is a 1310. So, you will probably need a Yoke for a 1310 or change the end of your driveshaft.

xj-jake
04-13-2015, 03:29 PM
I think they are the same Steve. According to the parts guy here at the dealership it should be the same joint unless we are overlooking something.

4.3LXJ
04-13-2015, 03:31 PM
Do you have the XJ D44. If so, maybe. The TJ D44 has the 1330 on one end and 1310 at the tcase

xj-jake
04-13-2015, 03:54 PM
It's an Xj 44

4.3LXJ
04-13-2015, 04:24 PM
Probably has a 1310 then, but you better confirm that.

xj-jake
04-16-2015, 08:46 AM
Finally got to tear into the new axle. Yes, it's an XJ Dana 44. Welded spiders (which I'm not crazy about). Pulled the drums off and to my surprise everything was new. From the drums to all the brake hardware. Paint on the springs new shoes and drums. I was surprised as hell. End play on the shafts it 1/16th of an inch at the most both sides. Even wear on the ring and pinion and very little backlash. The dude man guy I got if from pinched off the brake lines, which I'm happy for, I pulled the lines off and brake fluid came out nice and clean. I'm going to put new lines and a brake hose on it fill it with fluid and slap this gem in the Jeep.

4.3LXJ
04-16-2015, 09:48 AM
Sounds like you will be good to go. Do you plan to get rid of those welds?

xj-jake
04-16-2015, 10:01 AM
Sounds like you will be good to go. Do you plan to get rid of those welds?

As of right now, no. I'm gonna run it as is for the time being.

xj-jake
04-16-2015, 10:26 AM
If my research is serving me right i'll be using a rear brake line from a 96 Dakota. According to what I've found this is 6" longer than stock. E-brakes I'm probably gonna scrap for now. Still gotta figure out the ABS stuff.

xj-jake
04-21-2015, 08:40 AM
Well the 44 is painted. Brakes are at the parts store yet so I gotta get those picked up sometime this week and put in. It's a good thing I've had some down time in between pickup and install.

I'm very seriously considering pulling out the welded spiders and putting in a lunchbox locker instead of tearing things up in the diff. After explaining it to the wife last night her exact words were "I'd rather have you do it right and spend the money than do it twice." I love her.

So I have a few questions. What lockers are you guys running or what would you recommend? I've been looking at Lokka and Lock-rite for right now. The rear needs to be done. I'm not going to spend $150 on spiders when I can lock it for roughly $50 more.

I will be putting in gears in the future, so I do not want to put in a Detroit or something like that that will be no good to me when I have to switch out carriers.

Spend my money guys help me out here. Mama says do it right so let's do it right.

4.3LXJ
04-21-2015, 10:27 AM
I am running a Lokka rear. Been good so far

NW99XJ
04-21-2015, 10:56 AM
"Doing it right" has degrees.... and those degrees of "right" typically get more expensive the more "right" u make it.
There's nothing wrong with detroit lockers, I have heard some stories about after years of abuse them grenading,
... but thats few and far between.
Everyone seems to lean towards ARB lockers... they have a hell of a reputation, and can be sourced from just about anywhere.
Problem is the price. Same thing goes with Grizzly lockers, or OX lockers, or any E-locker out there,
.... stellar reputation, but with a price tag to match.
Lokka is (fairly) new to the scene... but from what I hear, they're exactly the same as Aussie Lockers.
Aussie and Spartan (lunchbox) lockers have a decent reputation, and seem to be a great "bang for your buck" option.
Especially for the rear. I have been abusing my spartan hybrid locker for years.
(hybrid only because I made half of it - see build thread.)
And i wouldn't hesitate to run another one in the rear... I personally don't see the need for a selectable locker in the rear.
The front .... that's a different story. I DO Wish I would have saved a few more pennies and gone with a selectable up front.
So here's the bottom line... I wheel with a bunch of guys running welded rear diffs.. JUST FINE for offroad only use,
... but NOT a good idea for a daily driver. Just too much strain on the drive-train if you ask me.
So maybe you run the welded gears for a little while, save up the money and throw in the locker that you WANT.
Right now you have a working axle that you don't necessarily NEED to do anything with.
That would at least give you some time to do more research, save a little more money,
and get something that will not only fit the bill for your driving/wheeling style, but also grow with you as you build up the 44.
No harm in delaying instant gratification to (in the end) get something amazing.
Think of what you could do to that axle over the year of building on it... Shafts...truss... shock relocation, etc...etc...
I'm sure this casts more doubt than anything, but i assure you i'm just trying to help. ;)

xj-jake
04-21-2015, 12:02 PM
"Doing it right" has degrees.... and those degrees of "right" typically get more expensive the more "right" u make it.
There's nothing wrong with detroit lockers, I have heard some stories about after years of abuse them grenading,
... but thats few and far between.
Everyone seems to lean towards ARB lockers... they have a hell of a reputation, and can be sourced from just about anywhere.
Problem is the price. Same thing goes with Grizzly lockers, or OX lockers, or any E-locker out there,
.... stellar reputation, but with a price tag to match.
Lokka is (fairly) new to the scene... but from what I hear, they're exactly the same as Aussie Lockers.
Aussie and Spartan (lunchbox) lockers have a decent reputation, and seem to be a great "bang for your buck" option.
Especially for the rear. I have been abusing my spartan hybrid locker for years.
(hybrid only because I made half of it - see build thread.)
And i wouldn't hesitate to run another one in the rear... I personally don't see the need for a selectable locker in the rear.
The front .... that's a different story. I DO Wish I would have saved a few more pennies and gone with a selectable up front.
So here's the bottom line... I wheel with a bunch of guys running welded rear diffs.. JUST FINE for offroad only use,
... but NOT a good idea for a daily driver. Just too much strain on the drive-train if you ask me.
So maybe you run the welded gears for a little while, save up the money and throw in the locker that you WANT.
Right now you have a working axle that you don't necessarily NEED to do anything with.
That would at least give you some time to do more research, save a little more money,
and get something that will not only fit the bill for your driving/wheeling style, but also grow with you as you build up the 44.
No harm in delaying instant gratification to (in the end) get something amazing.
Think of what you could do to that axle over the year of building on it... Shafts...truss... shock relocation, etc...etc...
I'm sure this casts more doubt than anything, but i assure you i'm just trying to help. ;)

Here's my conundrum. This Jeep will PROBABLY never be a full time offroad rig so I need to be able to keep it streetable for the most part. The kids already can't get into it due to height.

I'm not gonna run it welded for long, if at all, because tires are just to damn expensive. Grizzly, Ox, ARB, they're all fine but I don't need $1000 plus rolling around in an axle to impress anyone. I only payed $2200 for the entire Jeep to begin with and even at that I bought the lift and got the Jeep for free.

Aussie and Lokka are the same company from my research. I like the idea of keeping this as a somewhat budget build for now and if it goes too crazy I can always sell the stuff I have to upgrade to the bigger and better whatever. "Budget Builds" like this are what inspired me to get as involved in this hobby as I am.

As far as building up this axle, I think it's gonna be plenty. Besides possibly putting in chromoly shafts and a truss that would probably be about it. Many things to decide going forward.

4.3LXJ
04-21-2015, 12:19 PM
The kids will grow, and be able to get in before you know it

xj-jake
04-21-2015, 12:24 PM
Steve you're the guy I'm kinda leaning on here help me out lol!!

4.3LXJ
04-21-2015, 04:08 PM
Besides they will have much more fun in your Jeep than a Prius

xj-jake
04-21-2015, 04:12 PM
Besides they will have much more fun in your Jeep than a Prius

Steve what's the diff between an Aussie and a Lokka?

4.3LXJ
04-21-2015, 04:14 PM
No visible difference that anyone can find. I think it is a matter of franchise and location

xj-jake
04-21-2015, 04:16 PM
No visible difference that anyone can find. I think it is a matter of franchise and location

Okay thanks. I'm so flipping confuzzled on this. I like that the Yukon ones come with the cross shaft, I like that the Aussie's are American made, but I like the price of the Lokka.

4.3LXJ
04-21-2015, 04:19 PM
The Lokka comes from back east. Just happen to have the one you need in my hot little fist :D

denverd1
04-21-2015, 04:24 PM
I am running a Lokka rear. Been good so far

me too.

xj-jake
04-21-2015, 04:29 PM
The Lokka comes from back east. Just happen to have the one you need in my hot little fist :D

Donate it to a good cause :bacondance:

4.3LXJ
04-21-2015, 04:36 PM
Hmmmm, I always looked at myself as a good cause :D

xj-jake
04-21-2015, 04:39 PM
Hmmmm, I always looked at myself as a good cause :D

You are definitely an invaluable resource to have here that's for sure.

4.3LXJ
04-21-2015, 05:24 PM
I meant for cool parts :D

Actually the locker belongs to my son for his TJ

xj-jake
04-23-2015, 11:20 AM
Massive Dana 44 tear down. Collateral damage. Great afternoon yesterday. I had not planned on taking it down but with the spiders welded I decided it would be best.

Upon further inspection of the "good brakes" I realized they were the wrong ones on there in the first place. They were for a 35 so they are coming off along with just about everything else. You can see they aren't square with the hub.

http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/w564/xj-jake/2015-04-22%2014.16.56_zpss2ab5r0m.jpg (http://s1330.photobucket.com/user/xj-jake/media/2015-04-22%2014.16.56_zpss2ab5r0m.jpg.html)

So to remove the axles you need a slide hammer. Well you don't need it but it sure makes things a hell of a lot easier. There are 4 nuts behind the hub that you need to remove on each side that hold the axle shaft in place. 14mm if I remember correctly. Take all 4 nuts out before you start slamming away with the slide hammer.

http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/w564/xj-jake/2015-04-22%2013.57.44_zpsmf8kwhhl.jpg (http://s1330.photobucket.com/user/xj-jake/media/2015-04-22%2013.57.44_zpsmf8kwhhl.jpg.html)

http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/w564/xj-jake/2015-04-22%2013.58.02_zps6whxu78k.jpg (http://s1330.photobucket.com/user/xj-jake/media/2015-04-22%2013.58.02_zps6whxu78k.jpg.html)

Attach the slide hammer to the wheel studs and one or two whacks and the axle should slide out. Here's the collateral damage part. I slammed the first shaft and smashed the screen on my cell phone in my pocket. Wife was real happy with me...

http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/w564/xj-jake/2015-04-22%2014.35.40_zpsjm49cotw.jpg (http://s1330.photobucket.com/user/xj-jake/media/2015-04-22%2014.35.40_zpsjm49cotw.jpg.html)

http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/w564/xj-jake/2015-04-22%2014.06.14_zpsl6qasuxx.jpg (http://s1330.photobucket.com/user/xj-jake/media/2015-04-22%2014.06.14_zpsl6qasuxx.jpg.html)

The axles just pull out and you can stand them in the corner. Now you can remove the backing plates with all of the brake hardware all as one piece. A few taps with a rubber hammer is usually enough to get these off in one piece. Don't forget to take the brake lines off.

http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/w564/xj-jake/2015-04-22%2014.12.56_zpsjsyu8h2v.jpg (http://s1330.photobucket.com/user/xj-jake/media/2015-04-22%2014.12.56_zpsjsyu8h2v.jpg.html)

Removing the carrier was a pita so there isn't many photos. Take the caps off and make sure you orient them so you know which way they go back in. A pry bar, a sturdy rag and a rubber mallet got the carrier out for me.

http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/w564/xj-jake/2015-04-22%2015.08.26_zps6my9fatj.jpg (http://s1330.photobucket.com/user/xj-jake/media/2015-04-22%2015.08.26_zps6my9fatj.jpg.html)

Now that the carrier is out I can show you the reason for removal. This is probably the only certified welder ever to weld the spiders. On one hand the guy did a great job. On the other it's gonna be a royal pain to undo and remove the spider gears.

http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/w564/xj-jake/2015-04-22%2014.41.12_zpstwqpsw0y.jpg (http://s1330.photobucket.com/user/xj-jake/media/2015-04-22%2014.41.12_zpstwqpsw0y.jpg.html)

http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/w564/xj-jake/2015-04-22%2014.41.28_zpsvh6tf2he.jpg (http://s1330.photobucket.com/user/xj-jake/media/2015-04-22%2014.41.28_zpsvh6tf2he.jpg.html)

You have a cotter pin that holds the cross shaft in that needs to be removed before you start pounding on the shaft. A 3/8 punch should do the trick or a small screwdriver will work too. This slides out in the same direction that the ring gear splines point. Toward the long side of the carrier. Mine came out in 4 pieces. I'm getting more and more thankful that I decided to do this the further I get into it.

http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/w564/xj-jake/2015-04-22%2015.18.21_zpsn45oacf9.jpg (http://s1330.photobucket.com/user/xj-jake/media/2015-04-22%2015.18.21_zpsn45oacf9.jpg.html)

http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/w564/xj-jake/2015-04-22%2015.18.36_zps4ansm2ae.jpg (http://s1330.photobucket.com/user/xj-jake/media/2015-04-22%2015.18.36_zps4ansm2ae.jpg.html)

You'll have to remove the ring gear before you go any further. 10 bolts on the carrier and a few gentle taps take care of this in a hurry.

http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/w564/xj-jake/2015-04-22%2015.18.05_zpsuxqsylrj.jpg (http://s1330.photobucket.com/user/xj-jake/media/2015-04-22%2015.18.05_zpsuxqsylrj.jpg.html)

Once the cotter pin is out the cross shaft will be free to remove. A hammer and an extension is what I used and it came out pretty easily actually.

http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/w564/xj-jake/2015-04-22%2015.20.22_zpsr0lz266y.jpg (http://s1330.photobucket.com/user/xj-jake/media/2015-04-22%2015.20.22_zpsr0lz266y.jpg.html)

http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/w564/xj-jake/2015-04-22%2015.22.17_zpss05ghyme.jpg (http://s1330.photobucket.com/user/xj-jake/media/2015-04-22%2015.22.17_zpss05ghyme.jpg.html)

I figured I'd do this not only for myself but for everyone else too. There's not a lot of stuff out there for disassembly. I'm fairly mechanically inclined so I decided to tackle it anyways. The worst part of this whole project so far was removing the carrier. BE PATIENT and don't slam stuff around. It will come! If anyone needs more detail or better photos please let me know. This will be apart for a week or so. Don't be afraid to ask I'll help out if I can.

4.3LXJ
04-23-2015, 12:09 PM
So did they manage to weld just the spiders and miss the carrier?

xj-jake
04-23-2015, 12:15 PM
So did they manage to weld just the spiders and miss the carrier?

4 spots on both sides...

4.3LXJ
04-23-2015, 12:25 PM
I am surprised. Most people that weld them put about four pounds of rod in them

xj-jake
04-23-2015, 12:55 PM
I am surprised. Most people that weld them put about four pounds of rod in them

This was wire feed. Nothing the smoke wrench can't fix.

xj-jake
04-30-2015, 09:48 AM
Parts are slowly trickling in. Got the spiders out without incident. I didn't take any pics due to the mrs helping me. She knows how to run a torch now. Brakes and all the hardware are here, along with ubolts and new hd plates from IRO. Beefy to say the least. Might get some time to work on it this weekend between working and all the other spring stuff going on. Mowing lawn getting the boat up to par etc...

Stay tuned!

xj-jake
05-13-2015, 09:31 AM
Too many irons in the fire right now!!

Locker should be ordered in the next week or two. Dropped a ton of money into my bowfishing boat, new platform, and lights. Aluminum welded 5 foot by 5 foot and 6 (for right now) 50 watt led flood lights. 2 new deep cycle batteries, you get the idea. I'll be working on this today for a tournament this weekend. Pics to come.

Got some work done on the Jeep over the weekend. Still haven't gotten to the OTK steering yet but will soon. Did some painting to cover what Minnesota's winter did to my rockers.

autotech98
05-16-2015, 09:58 AM
Where dod you get your roof rack..love it!

Brasscatz
05-16-2015, 10:08 PM
That looks like the DetoursUSA light bar mount

xj-jake
05-18-2015, 09:21 AM
Jim is correct, it is the Detours USA LED Head. Mounts to the roof rack rails and allows a 42" light bar.

xj-jake
05-18-2015, 10:15 AM
Finally got some time yesterday to install the IRO OTK steering. All went fine until I tried to adjust the steering wheel. Shortened up the drag link all the way and attached to pitman and but the steering wheel was all out of whack. After sitting there staring at it for the better part of an hour I figured I'd just re-clock the pitman arm on the steering box and adjust from there. No joy, the pitman arm is keyed. I should have remembered that. Moved the drag link to the top of the pitman arm and it's still not right.

Moral of the story is the IRO steering kit does not work with a drop pitman arm in my case. I never figured trying to find a stock pitman arm would be as big of a headache as it is but I did find one and it will be in tomorrow with pics to follow.

xj-jake
05-28-2015, 09:53 AM
I'm getting sick of tripping over the axle in the garage so I finally ordered the locker. Went with the Spartan locker. Murican made and close to $200.

xj-jake
05-29-2015, 10:48 AM
Wow. Brown Santa just dropped off a Spartan Locker. Ordered exactly 24 hours ago and I'm holding it in my hand. Great service and shipping from Quick Performance in Ames, Ia. $238 free shipping and Yukon has a $30 mail in rebate on these. Now I have something to do this weekend!

http://www.quickperformance.com/

xj-jake
06-01-2015, 08:17 AM
Put the locker in the carrier on Friday afternoon with good intentions of getting a good jump on re-assembling the axle this weekend. That's all the farther I got lol. Bowfishing tournament on Saturday morning until 3 pm and the out to my parents for their 35th wedding anniversary. Sunday was busy also with getting kids squared away for the summer to go see grand parents etc. Come hell or the water in Texas the axle will be in within the next few weeks.

After that I'm tearing the front down to do axle seals and new wheel joints again. Probably locker in the front also as long as the carrier is out. Still need to do some fender trimming and folding.

xj-jake
06-06-2015, 09:29 AM
Locker installed, carrier back in the housing. Gonna try, depending on ambition and time, to button up the axle this weekend and be to the point where I can jack it up and switch them out. I'm getting sick of tripping over it in the garage so that's enough motivation to get my butt in gear. Mrs says she wants to help so we shall see if she can handle getting her hands dirty.

xj-jake
06-08-2015, 08:52 AM
Well she helped! Axle is completely assembled. I just need to turn the drums and slide them on. All new hardware inside the drums and new shoes. Brake lines are bent up and installed. Veronica had a little mishap and skinned up her hand a little. No big deal until she was tightening the nuts for the plate behind the axle hub and the wrench slipped off and she punched herself in the face. I looked up just in time to see the blood drop off her lips. Braces got the best of her on that one. I took over for a few minutes and she came back and finished up. Other than that it went well and we are ready for install. We might get a wild hair and shoot for Sunday. I have access to the hoist at work I'm thinking it might work easier than rolling around on the ground.

4.3LXJ
06-08-2015, 10:08 AM
If you have a hoist, go for it. Much easier

xj-jake
06-11-2015, 10:30 AM
Prepping for the install and buttoning up some other things yesterday I found on my bumper that the finish was starting to chip off in a few places. So I pulled out the paperwork and sure enough they have a finish warranty. I contacted Quadratec since I purchased it from them, took a few photos and sent them off to see what they could do. I come in this morning to find an email saying they are going to ship me a new bumper for free. They're also sending a call tag for the old one. So I get a new bumper to put on along with an axle swap.

Great customer service from Quadratec and I can't say enough about the ease of Smittybilt's warranty procedure.

4.3LXJ
06-11-2015, 11:33 AM
Very cool

XJ Wheeler
06-11-2015, 03:21 PM
Wow, now that's service!

xj-jake
06-18-2015, 05:34 PM
Okay for real the axle will be in this weekend. Me and the wife are going to start on it tonight. Yesterday I got off work early and went at trimming the front fenders to clear the bigger tires.

Pull the factory flares and this is what you're looking at.

http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/w564/xj-jake/20150617_144350_zpsgn7ynjvj.jpg (http://s1330.photobucket.com/user/xj-jake/media/20150617_144350_zpsgn7ynjvj.jpg.html)

Then get yourself one of these $20 doo hickeys to pull out the plastic darts...

http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/w564/xj-jake/20150617_144415_zpsne1dyayz.jpg (http://s1330.photobucket.com/user/xj-jake/media/20150617_144415_zpsne1dyayz.jpg.html)

To pull out the inner fender liner. I will be keeping this in the fender so I have pics to show you where to trim the liner.

http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/w564/xj-jake/20150617_144646_zpsedjbz4h0.jpg (http://s1330.photobucket.com/user/xj-jake/media/20150617_144646_zpsedjbz4h0.jpg.html)

Once you get the liner out you get your cutting tool of choice. I tried using a sawsall and that lasted 2 cuts. The fender is to flimsy so I resorted to the cutting wheel on the grinder. I wanted to keep a little lip on the fender so I sliced up to the lip with the grinder all the way around the opening. TIP--- The closer the cuts are together the easier it is to get around the corners. Also smaller cuts don't let the paint chip as bad when you bend the tabs in!!

http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/w564/xj-jake/20150617_150257_zpsfrvtdoww.jpg (http://s1330.photobucket.com/user/xj-jake/media/20150617_150257_zpsfrvtdoww.jpg.html)

http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/w564/xj-jake/20150617_150304_zpsv1oqtvfu.jpg (http://s1330.photobucket.com/user/xj-jake/media/20150617_150304_zpsv1oqtvfu.jpg.html)

Now trim the plastic inner liner to where you can hold it in with the tabs you cut on the lip of the fender. Do you own measuring and checking, these are approximate cuts and worked out well for me.

http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/w564/xj-jake/20150617_150317_zpspel49kvg.jpg (http://s1330.photobucket.com/user/xj-jake/media/20150617_150317_zpspel49kvg.jpg.html)

http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/w564/xj-jake/20150617_150322_zpsjv1f5kei.jpg (http://s1330.photobucket.com/user/xj-jake/media/20150617_150322_zpsjv1f5kei.jpg.html)

http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/w564/xj-jake/20150617_150325_zpsmgxuwisa.jpg (http://s1330.photobucket.com/user/xj-jake/media/20150617_150325_zpsmgxuwisa.jpg.html)

When I finished trimming the liner this is what I ended up with.

http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/w564/xj-jake/20150617_150752_zpsepsdaif9.jpg (http://s1330.photobucket.com/user/xj-jake/media/20150617_150752_zpsepsdaif9.jpg.html)

Now take and put the liner back in with all the plastic darts and get I lined up in the fender and start pushing tabs back.

http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/w564/xj-jake/20150617_151702_zpsogvrc0w7.jpg (http://s1330.photobucket.com/user/xj-jake/media/20150617_151702_zpsogvrc0w7.jpg.html)

I was able to bend them back with my hands but I did have to used a convincing tool on a couple tabs. And here's the finished product.

http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/w564/xj-jake/20150617_154451_zpsckadiumm.jpg (http://s1330.photobucket.com/user/xj-jake/media/20150617_154451_zpsckadiumm.jpg.html)

It was a "quick" and easy project. Start to finish even with stopping to talk to the local sheriff was 2 hours. The biggest thing is to make the cuts close together and take your time bending in the tabs. I gained 2 +/- inches of clearance in the fender well. Rears will have to wait til a later time. You can see the OTK Steering in there too, I'll update on that later also.

Next project is the 44 swap in the rear starting tonight!

xj-jake
06-19-2015, 09:45 AM
Half way

xj-jake
06-22-2015, 11:41 AM
It's in. Even got to take it for a shakedown run at Freedom Ridge. No issues really beyond brake bleeding but the locker works great and you'd never know it was in there.

4.3LXJ
06-22-2015, 11:51 AM
Yeah, the auto lockers do work well nowadays.

xj-jake
06-26-2015, 08:26 AM
Still working through some brake issues. The pedal is soft, and by soft I mean almost to the floor soft. I replace the hard line from the abs block to the rear axle. Everything in the rear axle as far as brakes is new, shoes, hardware, hose, cylinders. The only thing I reused was 1 adjuster and the drums. Tried bleeding the fronts figuring there was air up there too and ended up putting in new front calipers. Re-bleed the entire system and it's still soft. Read through the service manual and it said to use the DRB to bleed the ABS motor to remove air from there and then re-bleed the system as normal, still soft.

The only thing I haven't touched is the master cylinder. I may pull the drums again and see if the shoes are setup right be beyond these two things am I missing something?

4.3LXJ
06-26-2015, 10:57 AM
Rear brake shoes adjusted? If not, they will need a lot of fluid to get the out to the drum

xj-jake
06-26-2015, 11:12 AM
That's the one last thing I need to check Steve. I'll get to that this afternoon hopefully.

xj-jake
06-30-2015, 09:35 AM
Ended up putting on new drums. After I put them on the lathe I saw how many better days they had actually seen. $100 for new drums they are on and it all works great. Next project, front axle seals and a locker.

xj-jake
07-03-2015, 01:48 PM
Put the 34" big boy tires back on. Found a "poor little guy" that needs a new home too. It's just so cute. It's hard to remember seeing over the top of an XJ without standing on my toes. I think they look nice together.

4.3LXJ
07-03-2015, 02:28 PM
You will have to make sure "big brother" watches out for "little brother". Can't have the other big boys beating up on him

xj-jake
07-03-2015, 02:35 PM
Boss man won't sell it to me!

4.3LXJ
07-03-2015, 02:36 PM
In that case, crush it :D

4.3LXJ
07-03-2015, 02:36 PM
On another note, your build has gone way beyond challenging the Scout hasn't it?

xj-jake
07-03-2015, 02:52 PM
Honestly Steve is really wasn't about a challenge. Well maybe but it is all stuff that either needed or I wanted to get done. More of a motivation factor for me than anything, and to make his scout look bad. It's getting there. I still have a few things that need to be done. I'm running very short on time to get the floors done so I may have to put that off til later this fall.

The front axle seals and a locker in the front will be next along with new axle joints again. I'm going to find another set of shafts to have along for spares. Beyond that it's just new shocks for the time being. Probably some unibody stiffeners before too long. Then who knows? I'm sitting on a great platform right now I feel and I'm gaining more knowledge and confidence with every mod I do.

I just really hope that someone is able to read through this and gain something or learn something from it. It's always nice to see a start to "finish" story on a vehicle.

xj-jake
07-03-2015, 03:00 PM
I get inspired when I read through a good, detailed build thread and I'm trying to make mine that way. (I hope it's working!) Dana's thread is awesome. I love his setup and all the things he's done to it.

It helps having a great place to share the stuff where people actually appreciate some of the basic information that I have shared in this thread, like taking out the shafts on the 44. Some people know that stuff and some don't. I don't know but I enjoy sharing this stuff with you guys on here. I tried on other sites and we all know what happens elsewhere.

That and it's nice to get different opinions and a different eye on things. The rocker replacement for me was a daunting task. It's not that I don't have the ability or the know how but that's an intimidating project. I really hope it helps someone out at least.

4.3LXJ
07-03-2015, 03:46 PM
Well, as far as getting done, never happen. There will always be something you want to do. And yes, Dana can be inspiring. He has me on this 6X6 thing …………………………..

bluedragon436
07-03-2015, 05:15 PM
Build is looking great... Sucks to hear the boss man won't sell ya a new little guy to bring home and show some love... But that just means more money for love for the big boy... Can't wait till mine is closer to being "done" (although we all know that'll never happen)...

xj-jake
07-07-2015, 02:17 PM
Build is looking great... Sucks to hear the boss man won't sell ya a new little guy to bring home and show some love... But that just means more money for love for the big boy... Can't wait till mine is closer to being "done" (although we all know that'll never happen)...

It's coming along nicely and I'm pretty happy with it so far. I really don't need the little guy even though it would be a nice daily driver instead of Big Blue. I'd probably end up driving it for 2 weeks and selling it like I did with the WJ I bought last winter. Drop yours off for me I'm sure I could whip it into shape for you.

abebehrmann
07-07-2015, 02:28 PM
Put the 34" big boy tires back on. Found a "poor little guy" that needs a new home too. It's just so cute. It's hard to remember seeing over the top of an XJ without standing on my toes. I think they look nice together.

Your XJ is looking REAL nice Jake! Can't wait to see the pics from when you and the Scout go out wheeling together.

xj-jake
07-07-2015, 02:53 PM
Thanks Abe I appreciate that. It's been a long process. I'm hoping to have some gopro vids too!!

xj-jake
08-04-2015, 03:07 PM
Well we are getting to be a week out from the Black Hills trip and the stuff is getting pretty deep. The South Dakota wheelers keep a tight leash on their trails and it's been difficult to find trails on the maps by their common names. I'm sure we will find enough trouble to get into either way. My brother is worried about being able to make it down some of the trails with his Scout but I told him we have my Jeep to fall back on but he wants none of that. None the less he sent me some poser shots of his super cool Scout I thought I'd share with you guys.

abebehrmann
08-04-2015, 03:13 PM
Well we are getting to be a week out from the Black Hills trip and the stuff is getting pretty deep. The South Dakota wheelers keep a tight leash on their trails and it's been difficult to find trails on the maps by their common names. I'm sure we will find enough trouble to get into either way. My brother is worried about being able to make it down some of the trails with his Scout but I told him we have my Jeep to fall back on but he wants none of that. None the less he sent me some poser shots of his super cool Scout I thought I'd share with you guys.

He's gonna remove the top for the trip, right?

xj-jake
08-04-2015, 03:33 PM
If he does I'm sure I'll have to help him with it.

abebehrmann
08-04-2015, 03:48 PM
If he does I'm sure I'll have to help him with it.

HAhahahahaha, Brothers are the BEST aren't they?!?!

xj-jake
08-04-2015, 03:55 PM
He really don't have any idea how far my Jeep has come since he last saw it. It's gonna be fun for sure.

bluedragon436
08-04-2015, 10:27 PM
That's awesome... The Scout is coming along nicely as well... I always liked the older scouts like that.. but the are pretty scarce and hard to find.. at least on my tight budget anyways... Look forward to seeing pics from the fun times, you two manage to get into..

xj-jake
08-05-2015, 08:31 AM
Yeah that thing really was a diamond in the rough. His wife bought it for him for his birthday for $800. It needed a couple hundred dollars worth of brake work. Lucky dog!!

bluedragon436
08-05-2015, 10:13 AM
Yeah that thing really was a diamond in the rough. His wife bought it for him for his birthday for $800. It needed a couple hundred dollars worth of brake work. Lucky dog!!

Yeah that certainly seems like a killer deal for sure!! He got more plans for it, or just going to leave it as is??

xj-jake
08-05-2015, 11:26 AM
I think he'd like to do more with it but its plenty clean and he'll probably just leave this one be and pick up something else for an offroad rig.

bluedragon436
08-05-2015, 11:41 AM
I think even with it being as clean as it appears to be. I'd still put a small lift and some nice beefy tires on it... to at least give it the proper stance and look, like it should have from the factory... Tell him, Jeeps are pretty good for an offroad rig...

xj-jake
08-05-2015, 11:47 AM
Whatever he has for a vehicle is the greatest at everything. According to him anyways. He won't buy a Jeep just because I have one..

xj-jake
08-12-2015, 08:29 AM
Just a few hours at work today then go home and load my junk on a trailer and head west. The kids just got off the plane from Washington a few hours ago so we get to pack pack pack and then 9 hours worth of driving. My brother is already on his way and sent me this for proof. This weekend is gonna be a blast I'm excited to wheel, have the kids home, and see my niece and nephew for the first time.

xj-jake
08-12-2015, 01:08 PM
Well mine is loaded and mostly ready to go. Just need to get the wife and kids to get their stuff packed and we should be ready to take off.

What's that in the back window?

bluedragon436
08-12-2015, 01:47 PM
Wow.. surprised you guys have the same tow rigs... lol... What's the empty weight of your trailer?? Safe travels for both of you guys and family!!!

xj-jake
08-12-2015, 02:57 PM
He's in a 1500 gas I'm running a 2500 Cummins. Trailer is probably around 1800 empty. Plus 4600 ish for the jeep plus all the extra gear and kids. She's a hefty rig right now.

bluedragon436
08-12-2015, 03:00 PM
He's in a 1500 gas I'm running a 2500 Cummins. Trailer is probably around 1800 empty. Plus 4600 ish for the jeep plus all the extra gear and kids. She's a hefty rig right now.

Thought his was looking like a 1500 and yours was at least a 2500.. just coudln't figure out if it was CTD or Hemi powered... Can't wait to find myself a 2500 Hemi or CTD... even more so, can't wait to find a trailer to move my XJ with, so I don't have to rent one anymore...

4.3LXJ
08-16-2015, 09:32 PM
Good luck on that trip. Hope you find some wheeling when you get there

xj-jake
08-17-2015, 09:26 AM
Thought his was looking like a 1500 and yours was at least a 2500.. just coudln't figure out if it was CTD or Hemi powered... Can't wait to find myself a 2500 Hemi or CTD... even more so, can't wait to find a trailer to move my XJ with, so I don't have to rent one anymore...

We got 12.5 mpg pulling on the highway running about 75 mph. All in all it went pretty well..

xj-jake
08-17-2015, 10:23 AM
Whew what a whirl wind of a vacation. 1300 miles without cruise control pulling trailer with no trailer brakes and leaking brakes on the truck. Yeah that's a long story. But anyways. I'm working on uploading some vids right now to the YouTube so those will be coming.

In the meantime I'll bore you with some pics of the family and some post wheeling pics.

xj-jake
08-17-2015, 11:21 AM
The whole family at Mt Rushmore.

http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/w564/xj-jake/DSC_0370_zpstzi1dc6v.jpg (http://s1330.photobucket.com/user/xj-jake/media/DSC_0370_zpstzi1dc6v.jpg.html)

My sister and my girls.

http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/w564/xj-jake/DSC_0371_zps3o6bqkts.jpg (http://s1330.photobucket.com/user/xj-jake/media/DSC_0371_zps3o6bqkts.jpg.html)

Me and Mrs. Xj-Jake and the kids.

http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/w564/xj-jake/DSC_0376_zpskflfrccz.jpg (http://s1330.photobucket.com/user/xj-jake/media/DSC_0376_zpskflfrccz.jpg.html)

My dad the thinker on Needles Highway

http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/w564/xj-jake/DSC_0382_zpstotu6wpg.jpg (http://s1330.photobucket.com/user/xj-jake/media/DSC_0382_zpstotu6wpg.jpg.html)

xj-jake
08-17-2015, 11:25 AM
My nephew Little Nick hanging out with me at the cabin.

http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/w564/xj-jake/DSC_0433_zpszvqeq4xf.jpg (http://s1330.photobucket.com/user/xj-jake/media/DSC_0433_zpszvqeq4xf.jpg.html)

http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/w564/xj-jake/DSC_0436_zpsh9yzfaez.jpg (http://s1330.photobucket.com/user/xj-jake/media/DSC_0436_zpsh9yzfaez.jpg.html)

Little Nick and Mrs Xj-Jake.

http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/w564/xj-jake/DSC_0438_zpst2yfzq6b.jpg (http://s1330.photobucket.com/user/xj-jake/media/DSC_0438_zpst2yfzq6b.jpg.html)

A few neat Scout pics after the wheeling

http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/w564/xj-jake/DSC_0416_zps9bazt5ph.jpg (http://s1330.photobucket.com/user/xj-jake/media/DSC_0416_zps9bazt5ph.jpg.html)

http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/w564/xj-jake/DSC_0418_zps7rgzpt1p.jpg (http://s1330.photobucket.com/user/xj-jake/media/DSC_0418_zps7rgzpt1p.jpg.html)

http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/w564/xj-jake/DSC_0415_zpsyjhilp5p.jpg (http://s1330.photobucket.com/user/xj-jake/media/DSC_0415_zpsyjhilp5p.jpg.html)

xj-jake
08-17-2015, 11:29 AM
For the record. Stuck Scout. Dad couldn't get out the door was jammed shut!

http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/w564/xj-jake/DSC_0397_zpsw16bbxxm.jpg (http://s1330.photobucket.com/user/xj-jake/media/DSC_0397_zpsw16bbxxm.jpg.html)

http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/w564/xj-jake/DSC_0398_zpsklblczl2.jpg (http://s1330.photobucket.com/user/xj-jake/media/DSC_0398_zpsklblczl2.jpg.html)

Jeep to the rescue

http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/w564/xj-jake/DSC_0400_zpsczdcgxfk.jpg (http://s1330.photobucket.com/user/xj-jake/media/DSC_0400_zpsczdcgxfk.jpg.html)

Made him hook it up too just to throw salt in the wound.

http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/w564/xj-jake/DSC_0399_zpsj4l90k2u.jpg (http://s1330.photobucket.com/user/xj-jake/media/DSC_0399_zpsj4l90k2u.jpg.html)

xj-jake
08-17-2015, 11:31 AM
Wheeling Break!

http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/w564/xj-jake/DSC_0405_zpsxx599arp.jpg (http://s1330.photobucket.com/user/xj-jake/media/DSC_0405_zpsxx599arp.jpg.html)

http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/w564/xj-jake/DSC_0403_zpsjxahcdzr.jpg (http://s1330.photobucket.com/user/xj-jake/media/DSC_0403_zpsjxahcdzr.jpg.html)

http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/w564/xj-jake/DSC_0402_zpsbcayz1vd.jpg (http://s1330.photobucket.com/user/xj-jake/media/DSC_0402_zpsbcayz1vd.jpg.html)

Made my brother and Mrs pose for the pics

http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/w564/xj-jake/DSC_0406_zpsqbcnfnja.jpg (http://s1330.photobucket.com/user/xj-jake/media/DSC_0406_zpsqbcnfnja.jpg.html)

http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/w564/xj-jake/DSC_0407_zpsqcdbzpub.jpg (http://s1330.photobucket.com/user/xj-jake/media/DSC_0407_zpsqcdbzpub.jpg.html)

xj-jake
08-17-2015, 11:33 AM
Post Wheeling shots!

http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/w564/xj-jake/DSC_0411_zpsosd31l7n.jpg (http://s1330.photobucket.com/user/xj-jake/media/DSC_0411_zpsosd31l7n.jpg.html)

http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/w564/xj-jake/DSC_0412_zpsgrxyylec.jpg (http://s1330.photobucket.com/user/xj-jake/media/DSC_0412_zpsgrxyylec.jpg.html)

http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/w564/xj-jake/DSC_0413_zpsezsrymuc.jpg (http://s1330.photobucket.com/user/xj-jake/media/DSC_0413_zpsezsrymuc.jpg.html)

http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/w564/xj-jake/DSC_0414_zpsdrhddowr.jpg (http://s1330.photobucket.com/user/xj-jake/media/DSC_0414_zpsdrhddowr.jpg.html)

xj-jake
08-17-2015, 11:35 AM
Scout Vid

https://youtu.be/UDxQ84DYG1s

xj-jake
08-17-2015, 11:37 AM
My Jeep in the same spot. Different line. Watch the front tire stuff toward the end. After I got out my dad said, " That was the dumbest line to take!"

https://youtu.be/QQfcuc6YLjQ

xj-jake
08-17-2015, 11:44 AM
More vids coming in time.

xj-jake
08-18-2015, 07:56 AM
Moar Vid. YouTube is a slow upload...

https://youtu.be/aofsVEeESDs

4.3LXJ
08-18-2015, 09:43 AM
Looks like you got some good wheeling in there

xj-jake
08-18-2015, 09:47 AM
We had a great time Steve. This is Calamity Canyon out of Camp 5 east of Deadwood. They actually had a bypass trail the whole way, which is what we ran. Didn't want to break anything while having the kids with. But it was a decent challenge and very family friendly.

I am still uploading 2 more videos.

4.3LXJ
08-18-2015, 09:51 AM
Did a quick search. Looks like some real nice wheeling in that area

xj-jake
08-18-2015, 09:54 AM
Tons of wheeling but very little support as far as trail maps, trails being on maps, and very little references for putting a "common name" to a trail number on the trails that are actually on the maps.

4.3LXJ
08-18-2015, 09:58 AM
that is why I check topog maps first. I download them free and spend time studying them before going out

xj-jake
08-18-2015, 10:03 AM
The hard part is when you talk to guys and they say, "Hey you guys should go run Hal John" and you go look at the map and are like WTF cuz there is no reference to it on any map anywhere and the locals don't know the trail numbers that the forest service puts on the trails lol. It was a little frustrating.

xj-jake
08-18-2015, 03:41 PM
Another Video!

https://youtu.be/kQR7Q-NlDMk

xj-jake
08-19-2015, 09:14 AM
Last video I promise! If you watch off to the right of the screen you will see the actual trail. Pretty hefty stuff.

https://youtu.be/eka6mpu_yXw

runnerswife
08-19-2015, 09:49 AM
That looks like FUN!

xj-jake
08-24-2015, 10:06 AM
Two weekends of wheeling in a row and the only thing that got wrecked was my tailpipe! Trust me though the event at Freedom Ridge Rocks could have claimed many a part from my old XJ.

The obstacles at Freedom Ridge were ready for any worthy competitor and there were plenty present. Iron Rock Offroad was one of the main sponsors of the event and they showed up to play with both of their XJ's and their WJ.

I did plenty of wheeling but the obstacles were for VERY advanced vehicles and I didn't want to wreck and have to trailer home. Plus we had the kids with again this weekend and I want them to enjoy doing this stuff and not scare them off.

A local guy with a very well built ZJ on tons. Believe it or not there were hills and trails that even this couldn't conquer.

http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/w564/xj-jake/DSC_0444_zpsb0h13lnn.jpg (http://s1330.photobucket.com/user/xj-jake/media/DSC_0444_zpsb0h13lnn.jpg.html)

http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/w564/xj-jake/DSC_0445_zpshedck6zm.jpg (http://s1330.photobucket.com/user/xj-jake/media/DSC_0445_zpshedck6zm.jpg.html)

http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/w564/xj-jake/DSC_0446_zpsxiiehdop.jpg (http://s1330.photobucket.com/user/xj-jake/media/DSC_0446_zpsxiiehdop.jpg.html)

Iron Rock was there and showing off their rigs. Besides a few buggies that were there he was tackling the hardest stuff and getting it done.

http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/w564/xj-jake/DSC_0453_zpslxtbz8wl.jpg (http://s1330.photobucket.com/user/xj-jake/media/DSC_0453_zpslxtbz8wl.jpg.html)

Dangle it!

http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/w564/xj-jake/DSC_0456_zpszhxtez1g.jpg (http://s1330.photobucket.com/user/xj-jake/media/DSC_0456_zpszhxtez1g.jpg.html)

http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/w564/xj-jake/DSC_0458_zpsiolzx1kt.jpg (http://s1330.photobucket.com/user/xj-jake/media/DSC_0458_zpsiolzx1kt.jpg.html)

http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/w564/xj-jake/DSC_0461_zps2wb9mmhg.jpg (http://s1330.photobucket.com/user/xj-jake/media/DSC_0461_zps2wb9mmhg.jpg.html)

http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/w564/xj-jake/DSC_0462_zpsbobd9mnw.jpg (http://s1330.photobucket.com/user/xj-jake/media/DSC_0462_zpsbobd9mnw.jpg.html)

http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/w564/xj-jake/DSC_0480_zpsbyck8nm7.jpg (http://s1330.photobucket.com/user/xj-jake/media/DSC_0480_zpsbyck8nm7.jpg.html)

Somebody decided to test the waters and lost...

http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/w564/xj-jake/DSC_0463_zps6cl5jdfc.jpg (http://s1330.photobucket.com/user/xj-jake/media/DSC_0463_zps6cl5jdfc.jpg.html)

http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/w564/xj-jake/DSC_0464_zpseh2etp0v.jpg (http://s1330.photobucket.com/user/xj-jake/media/DSC_0464_zpseh2etp0v.jpg.html)

A few of mine after almost flopping it nose over coming off a trail.

http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/w564/xj-jake/DSC_0465_zpsdmwb1xmm.jpg (http://s1330.photobucket.com/user/xj-jake/media/DSC_0465_zpsdmwb1xmm.jpg.html)

http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/w564/xj-jake/DSC_0466_zpsoba6in5d.jpg (http://s1330.photobucket.com/user/xj-jake/media/DSC_0466_zpsoba6in5d.jpg.html)

http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/w564/xj-jake/DSC_0467_zps5qrpylsw.jpg (http://s1330.photobucket.com/user/xj-jake/media/DSC_0467_zps5qrpylsw.jpg.html)

Thank god for tube rockers and ground clearance!

http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/w564/xj-jake/DSC_0469_zpsz6pxl2eb.jpg (http://s1330.photobucket.com/user/xj-jake/media/DSC_0469_zpsz6pxl2eb.jpg.html)

Small technical dirt/mud climb up a rutted hill.

http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/w564/xj-jake/DSC_0478_zpsr2scijgx.jpg (http://s1330.photobucket.com/user/xj-jake/media/DSC_0478_zpsr2scijgx.jpg.html)

http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/w564/xj-jake/DSC_0479_zps6vrf5okx.jpg (http://s1330.photobucket.com/user/xj-jake/media/DSC_0479_zps6vrf5okx.jpg.html)

All in all a GREAT day of wheeling with like minded people out for a good time. Nearly gave Mrs. XJ-Jake a heart attack a few times. Only one spot where I told her and the kids they needed to get out because I was worried. A few poser shots. I'm standing on the ground not rocks.

http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/w564/xj-jake/DSC_0476_zpsg79eylrh.jpg (http://s1330.photobucket.com/user/xj-jake/media/DSC_0476_zpsg79eylrh.jpg.html)

http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/w564/xj-jake/DSC_0472_zpspbyqouo4.jpg (http://s1330.photobucket.com/user/xj-jake/media/DSC_0472_zpspbyqouo4.jpg.html)

http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/w564/xj-jake/DSC_0473_zps9k95ivwr.jpg (http://s1330.photobucket.com/user/xj-jake/media/DSC_0473_zps9k95ivwr.jpg.html)

Take your kids wheeling! They will love it!

http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/w564/xj-jake/DSC_0474_zpsfejinhva.jpg (http://s1330.photobucket.com/user/xj-jake/media/DSC_0474_zpsfejinhva.jpg.html)

http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/w564/xj-jake/DSC_0475_zpssucgyvu6.jpg (http://s1330.photobucket.com/user/xj-jake/media/DSC_0475_zpssucgyvu6.jpg.html)

4.3LXJ
08-24-2015, 10:25 AM
Nicely done Jake :thumbsup:

xj-jake
08-31-2015, 04:10 PM
Well guys I did some crawling around under the Jeep this week. Replaced the leaking pinion seal yesterday and checked things out after these 2 weeks of wheeling.

I need to remove my front upper control arm brackets. They are rubbing on my long arms when the suspension cycles and scraping the finish off of them. Not a big deal but it annoys me. Anything out of the ordinary that I need to worry about by cutting these off?

Second thing I noticed is the shocks on the rear axle took quite a beating. I'm thinking of relocating these to be even with or above the axle. What are your guy's thoughts or input on this?

4.3LXJ
08-31-2015, 05:51 PM
Nah, they are just spot welded on anyway

xj-jake
09-01-2015, 11:53 AM
Any ideas with the shocks Steve? I need to replace them anyhow, since after thinking about it a few weeks ago, these are still the shocks for a 4" lift.

Fab up something to relocate to the top of the axle or even with the axle?

4.3LXJ
09-01-2015, 12:13 PM
I relocated mine even with the axle. Gets you about 3" more extended length for the droop. It was easy to do. I used a sawsall to cut off the mount even with the bottom of the tube, then used a grinder to notch the backside a little and welded it on. I had a pic, but I can't seem to find it right now

Pinkyman
09-15-2015, 02:10 PM
I have to thank Jake for posting this, what a great build!

What a great read while passing the time by at work :D

xj-jake
09-16-2015, 08:54 AM
There's plenty of good builds on here Ryan that are far better than mine. I'm glad you're making yourself at home here. If you're looking for another good read the "Rigor Mortis" build thread will blow your mind. Keep looking around there's tons of good people and info here.

bluedragon436
09-16-2015, 03:43 PM
Well guys I did some crawling around under the Jeep this week. Replaced the leaking pinion seal yesterday and checked things out after these 2 weeks of wheeling.

I need to remove my front upper control arm brackets. They are rubbing on my long arms when the suspension cycles and scraping the finish off of them. Not a big deal but it annoys me. Anything out of the ordinary that I need to worry about by cutting these off?

Second thing I noticed is the shocks on the rear axle took quite a beating. I'm thinking of relocating these to be even with or above the axle. What are your guy's thoughts or input on this?

Got a shop that I'm going to see if they can remove the remaining stock lower and both upper control arm brackets... I had to cut part of the drivers side mount to even be able to install the LA in the first place... but wasn't able to get on the rest of it with the sawzall... so figure they'll have a plasma cutter or grinder and can get it off of there much easier and better then I can... Can't wait to try and get mine flexed out finally!!

4.3LXJ
09-16-2015, 04:35 PM
Hey James, those brackets are spot welded on. There is a special drill bit that will drill around the weld and allow you to finish removing the bracket. Check Summit Racing for the drill bit

xj-jake
09-23-2015, 08:34 AM
For James. Sorry about the mud it hasn't been washed since the South Dakota trip.

bluedragon436
09-23-2015, 08:39 AM
For James. Sorry about the mud it hasn't been washed since the South Dakota trip.

Thanks Jake.. Don't got to apologize for the mud... just a beautiful sign of Jeep used as a Jeep!!! :bacondance::bacondance:

xj-jake
09-23-2015, 08:45 AM
Some more videos, late I know, from the Freedom Ridge event a few weeks ago. There's another coming up the second weekend in October. My brother is coming home this weekend so I'm hoping to be able to take him over and show him the park.

https://youtu.be/pyRWgn4mCx8

https://youtu.be/HX_t74yb8l8

https://youtu.be/XUtk0Ipeo5k

https://youtu.be/HrWFW7B3mdo

https://youtu.be/q_4oZSLmeEQ

xj-jake
10-12-2015, 09:37 AM
Another event over the weekend at Freedom Ridge. Didn't wreck anything but then again didn't do much either. The place is cool but all the obstacles are extremely difficult. I'd like to be able to go there and wheel without having to worry about rolling my junk over all the time. And be able to take the kids and not have them be bored cuz we can't do anything.

On a side note. Picked up a new carrier and locker for the front axle. Carrier is for deeper gears and locker is the same as I have in the rear. It's an imported model. My brother found it in Colorado and asked me if I could use it. I almost choked when he told me the price. $100. I called and talked to the guy everything checks out. He told me he cant get the locker to work properly but after talking to him the shims are not right. There's not supposed to be any in there in the first place!

xj-jake
10-12-2015, 02:30 PM
A few pics from the mud run at Freedom Ridge. All the mud clowns out there you cant not get it muddy right? I'm regretting it now of course. Rocks in the drums and crap hanging everywhere...

Either way I got it muddy, then went and found a rock to play on. Wife and kids were with, she didn't realize how flexy the jeep was til we got out. She also didn't realize that the left rear tire was about a foot off the ground. Oh well! Enjoy guys.

http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/w564/xj-jake/DSC_0489_zpsbdj3h1gn.jpg (http://s1330.photobucket.com/user/xj-jake/media/DSC_0489_zpsbdj3h1gn.jpg.html)

http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/w564/xj-jake/DSC_0490_zpskep5isl1.jpg (http://s1330.photobucket.com/user/xj-jake/media/DSC_0490_zpskep5isl1.jpg.html)

http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/w564/xj-jake/DSC_0493_zpsvlqukro8.jpg (http://s1330.photobucket.com/user/xj-jake/media/DSC_0493_zpsvlqukro8.jpg.html)

http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/w564/xj-jake/DSC_0494_zps9trguytw.jpg (http://s1330.photobucket.com/user/xj-jake/media/DSC_0494_zps9trguytw.jpg.html)

http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/w564/xj-jake/DSC_0496_zps6j0cpkc4.jpg (http://s1330.photobucket.com/user/xj-jake/media/DSC_0496_zps6j0cpkc4.jpg.html)

http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/w564/xj-jake/DSC_0499_zps1v6ukaho.jpg (http://s1330.photobucket.com/user/xj-jake/media/DSC_0499_zps1v6ukaho.jpg.html)

4.3LXJ
10-12-2015, 04:06 PM
You are looking kind of small next to your Jeep :smiley-taunt002:

xj-jake
10-12-2015, 05:11 PM
You are looking kind of small next to your Jeep :smiley-taunt002:

I'm only 5'6" Steve depending on what boots I'm wearing! Here's one of me opening the door....

http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/w564/xj-jake/DSC_0500_zpsh1xmbkwj.jpg (http://s1330.photobucket.com/user/xj-jake/media/DSC_0500_zpsh1xmbkwj.jpg.html)

4.3LXJ
10-12-2015, 06:45 PM
Ha ha, you need springs in your boots for that one :D

xj-jake
02-01-2016, 05:15 PM
Okay gentlemen here's my latest issue. All has been well so something is bound to go wrong right?

The wife actually noticed this. I did notice it but didn't want to admit it. While in drive and 2 wheel drive, as soon as you start rolling you can hear and feel a clunk. Gets faster the faster you go. U-joint right?

Put on the hoist at work today. Pulled front driveshaft and drove it. Same thing. Put front shaft in pull rear shaft and drive it, same thing. Put both shafts in and pull it back around the building, nothing. We'll see on the drive home what it does.

I'm honestly thinking its in the t-case. Could be rear end I guess but why would the noise be in the rear with no load on? Rear axle rolls well by hand with no noises or anything. Rolls well by hand on pinion and axles.

HELP!!

4.3LXJ
02-01-2016, 05:19 PM
I would suspect the U joint. If you cannot find a bad one, check your rear wheel bearings. That is a long shot since they are tapered bearings, but I have had clunks like that from wheel bearings

xj-jake
02-01-2016, 05:22 PM
Steve,
Our driveline guy was still here and I had him and another 30+ year Chrysler mechanic look at it. It's definitely not a u-joint.

You are ruling out t-case?

4.3LXJ
02-01-2016, 05:38 PM
Well, OK. I finally noticed you have a 242. If you have the wheels off the ground rotate the drive shafts and check the chain for slop. If you replace the chain, do the sprockets too. Otherwise it will go south on you in a hurry

xj-jake
02-01-2016, 05:45 PM
Lol I guess if I'm gonna split it I'll replace it with 241 or something else.

4.3LXJ
02-01-2016, 06:28 PM
241 is a great way to go if you are into rocks

xj-jake
02-03-2016, 10:29 AM
Well after driving it for a few more days it really sounds like a u-joint. I'm thinking I may pull the front shaft completely and drive it to see if the sound goes away. There was a very little bit of slop in the top joint but I'm really leaning toward a t-case on this issue.

There is a seal leaking in the rear axle but fluid is where it needs to be and clean. I guess there's an off chance that it could be rear wheel bearings but I'm just not 100% sure.

The thing that is weird about it is that it's very constant. Definitely driveline and it really sounds like a joint. You can hear it at low speed and if you put your hand on the t-case or transmission shifter you can feel it.

4.3LXJ
02-03-2016, 10:46 AM
In that case I think it is at the forward joint on the rear driveline. Maybe. But you have a tall lift, do you have an SYE?

xj-jake
02-03-2016, 11:06 AM
I do have a SYE and the top joint on the rear shaft is the double cardan setup. 3 joints on the front and the rear shafts.

4.3LXJ
02-03-2016, 11:16 AM
Hmm, the front shaft can cause vibes if it is bad. Like you said, pull it and go from there

xj-jake
02-22-2016, 03:28 PM
Thought I'd put an end to this issue. Just put her up on the hoist for the driveline guy to take a look at. Survey says.....rear bearing on front output shaft in the t-case. So gentlemen, at some point in the future I'll obviously be repairing this. Probably by leaving the case in the Jeep. Anything I can upgrade or should be aware of "as long as I'm in there?"

Brasscatz
02-26-2016, 01:17 PM
Thought I'd put an end to this issue. Just put her up on the hoist for the driveline guy to take a look at. Survey says.....rear bearing on front output shaft in the t-case. So gentlemen, at some point in the future I'll obviously be repairing this. Probably by leaving the case in the Jeep. Anything I can upgrade or should be aware of "as long as I'm in there?"

Might as well replace the chain while you're in there. "Preventative maintenance"

xj-jake
06-02-2016, 01:59 PM
A little Colorado Scout action for you.

4.3LXJ
06-02-2016, 03:10 PM
That is a clean old scout

XJ Wheeler
06-02-2016, 11:56 PM
Colorado seems to be the place for them. Back in the 80s my mom went on vacation there and says they were everywhere. She had/has one as well so it was a shocker even back then. The coast seems to have eaten all the ones here in texas. :/

Sent via messenger pigeon. I talk, he types.

xj-jake
06-03-2016, 09:56 AM
New Pony for the stable. 2000 WJ 4.0L Factory DVD and Nav. 259,000 miles

$500

This was going from our lot to the junk yard. I literally saved this Jeeps life. It was going to the crusher and I asked the boss about it just before he let it go. Before you give me crap about spending $500 on this thing let me explain. It has a brand new black top Interstate battery in it. About $130 new. And a full set of weathertech floor liners. Pretty sure that just about covers my cost!

abebehrmann
06-03-2016, 11:13 AM
New Pony for the stable. 2000 WJ 4.0L Factory DVD and Nav. 259,000 miles

$500

This was going from our lot to the junk yard. I literally saved this Jeeps life. It was going to the crusher and I asked the boss about it just before he let it go. Before you give me crap about spending $500 on this thing let me explain. It has a brand new black top Interstate battery in it. About $130 new. And a full set of weathertech floor liners. Pretty sure that just about covers my cost!

Looks like steal to me! Does it run and drive? 4x4? Inquiring minds must know!

xj-jake
06-03-2016, 01:47 PM
Runs and drives fine. The inside looks like something out of Frankensteins lab but oh well. Tires need some love but it'll be fine. I just can't let it go off to the crusher.

xj-jake
06-03-2016, 01:49 PM
I also had a former customer stop in this afternoon. His son tagged a pole with his 99 XJ. He asked me if I wanted it. I said sure what the heck! So sounds like he'll be dropping it off with the title for me this afternoon. He just didn't want it parked in his yard.

4.3LXJ
06-03-2016, 03:32 PM
You and JENSSEN should get together and start a Jeep wrecking yard

xj-jake
06-03-2016, 03:34 PM
I'm sure my land lord is going to love me!

Pinkyman
06-03-2016, 03:46 PM
I'm sure my land lord is going to love me!

I bet if you give me a bunch of parts off the Xj, your landlord probably wont even notice its there :rolleye0012:

xj-jake
06-13-2016, 08:33 AM
Well I got the other XJ home and took a good look at it. There's some useable stuff and some sellable stuff. Here's a few pics of what it looks like and then I'll have some more later.

Upon first look it didn't look that bad. The thought of fixing it up actually did cross my mind. After further inspection the common sense side of me took over and it will be parted out.

xj-jake
06-13-2016, 01:45 PM
I spent part of the day yesterday with the winch trying to get the front straight to disassemble some of the mess. Pretty much everything on the right side of the motor was junk except the AC Compressor. The bracket that holds the compressor was broken and unfortunately cracked the head. I'm not sure how far the crack goes but I may pull it just to see. The more I think about this I may have a good candidate for a stroker.

xj-jake
06-13-2016, 01:47 PM
Moar. See last photo for "crack." I don't think it's a deal killer but not sure yet. Heads are easy enough to come by. By the way the odometer reads 364,xxx. All original. The previous owner put in a starter, alternator, and an ac condenser and drove it.

bluedragon436
06-14-2016, 01:40 AM
That stinks to see.. But at least you'll ultimately be able to save two different Jeeps from getting the crusher.... And heck, parting out the 99 XJ might even save multiple XJ's from going to the scraper!! You plan on fixing the WJ up and then flipping it, or having a WJ in the stable??

xj-jake
06-14-2016, 09:12 AM
In my mind I have plans and in reality I have others as usual. For right now I'd like to drive it so I can take care of some issues on my Xj. I may cut the rear quarters out of the gold one and transplant them into big blue. Mine is getting the under the rear window rust. I'm going to take the doors off goldie and put them on mine. And I still have not replace the floor pans in big blue so it'll be nice to have an extra runner around while she's under the knife.

xj-jake
09-20-2016, 10:41 AM
Wow 3 months without an update. I'm ashamed. Well a lot has changed. Goldie found a new home with a deserving new owner. He's a long time friend that I grew up with. I was able to part out a few things and sold the rest of the Jeep to him. He's got quite a monster of an XJ that he's building.

Anyways, for those of you that don't know, I'm a new homeowner and getting married on October 15th. So needless to say our plates have been a little full. Here's a few pics of the new digs.

xj-jake
09-20-2016, 11:02 AM
Notice in the front yard the Hustler vertical and the Mosely TA-33MW beam laying on the ground :D. Those should be going up before the snowflakes fly. I hesitate to say that at times because this is Minnesota and hell, that could be next week.

After the move we ordered carpet and are in the middle of doing some other remodeling, more just updates than anything but it needs to be done. The house was built in 1980 and it shows on the inside. My project for Sunday was reclaimed barn siding on a wall in the basement. If you're thinking about doing it because it'll be easy think again. It's a royal PITA! I'm fairly certain reinventing the wheel is easier than working with this stuff! I'm fairly certain that this stack of lumber came straight from Washington DC because there isn't one straight piece in it.

So this is the pile that I started with.

xj-jake
09-20-2016, 11:05 AM
You can see the lovely carpet that's going to be removed with authority. Uck! Anyways you can also see what I'm covering up and how its turning out. Not too bad so far. Another 6 or so hours left and I should have that wall licked!

zombiedog29
09-20-2016, 04:34 PM
Nice job bro. I love to see stuff being re-purposed. What a great patina on those boards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bluedragon436
09-21-2016, 03:26 AM
The reclaimed wood, looks awesome... and definitely far better then what it is covering... And yeah, agreed on the carpet needing to be removed... quickly!!!

xj-jake
09-21-2016, 08:17 AM
Thanks guys! The wood came of my soon to be wife's grandma's barn. It's all redwood tongue and groove around 80-90 years old. Hopefully by this weekend I can have that whole wall finished.