PDA

View Full Version : How much do you charge?

Mudderoy
10-22-2009, 04:10 PM
I suspect that in the next several months I'll have a winch installed on my rig. I was wondering how much do you charge to pull someone's a$$ out of a situation?

:thumbsup:

alwaysxj
10-22-2009, 04:27 PM
well i think it all depends on the situation. are you planning on doing this for money or just talking like if some one needs help and they see that you have a winch and you say ya i will pull for this much. i think we have a local auto body shop that offers this and i think it is like $150 to go and pull and if they have to go along way up in to a canyon and get you out then it will go up.

Mudderoy
10-22-2009, 04:56 PM
well i think it all depends on the situation. are you planning on doing this for money or just talking like if some one needs help and they see that you have a winch and you say ya i will pull for this much. i think we have a local auto body shop that offers this and i think it is like $150 to go and pull and if they have to go along way up in to a canyon and get you out then it will go up.

No real plan to make it into a money making operation. I've already had a few requests from people at work that have seen my Jeep. I certainly don't mind helping out but at some point I can see how a few bucks might be offered or requested.

xj4life2
10-22-2009, 05:00 PM
generally (speaking personally only) I ask for gas and to pay for anything I break on my rig getting them out after that its all up to them. Best payment ever ... A plate of homemade cookies !!!

Mudderoy
10-22-2009, 05:05 PM
Do you ever penalize someone, like if you are asked for a pull from a 2wd, hummer, etc? Male, female, make any difference?

afbond03
10-22-2009, 05:09 PM
I usually don't expect anything when I pull someone out. If they offer me something, of course I won't turn it down but other than that I don't ask for anything up front or whatever. Now if they are an ***..that is a whole different story.
Wait! This reminds me...my buddy owes me a 6 pack from pulling him out like 4 months ago. I gotta go make a call now.

alwaysxj
10-22-2009, 05:12 PM
Do you ever penalize someone, like if you are asked for a pull from a 2wd, hummer, etc? Male, female, make any difference?

first rule never pull out a hummer. and second if the female is hot then do it no matter what :cheerleader:

4.3LXJ
10-22-2009, 10:58 PM
There is always one thing I do when pulling out someone, they have to hook up the cable. That way, if it breaks or pulls off, it is their fault, not mine. They will be real quick to ask you to fix their rig, but very slow to fix your winch if it breaks. Also, if you charge, you can get into a whole new world of liability. So I just do it for free the first time. The second, I am busy.

2000XJ
10-23-2009, 12:02 AM
Not to rain on the parade, but when I've pulled people out of places, I've never charged or asked for anything in return.... and THANK GOD when I was caught in the position where I needed to get recovered, and someone came across me, they didn't ask for anything in return.

Also, like 4.3 said, when money is involved, more liability is involved. And ALWAYS let the other party hook up their own vehicle.

cantab27
10-23-2009, 02:52 AM
i live next to a river, out my front door over stopbank and miles of water and mud...:D what i get is people knocking on my door asking for help...don't mind if they have recovery hooks and such...its the ones that have stock standard trucks that get me...buy it ,head for the river cause it says 4x4.... hard to say no when trucks got kids in....cant charge because could be liable......its all on how they ask..have told a few tosser no..did get given $20.00 once, but that didnt really cover broken strop, cv or 3 hours digging...:smiley-laughing021:...o and got a box of beer one time too...

4.3LXJ
10-23-2009, 06:38 AM
I used to live next to a river too, same problem. A guy knocked on my door who worked at the local 4WD shop, went down to the river and there was his Ford, in three feet of water with no front driveline in front of his 2WD Toyota in three feet of water. You just have to wonder.

BlueXJ
10-23-2009, 06:44 AM
I always refuse payment but when offered I tell them. "You owe me nothing but you owe humanity to stop when you see someone broke down, if only, to see if you might be of assistance."

4.3LXJ
10-23-2009, 07:31 AM
I have never charged either, but I have been tempted.

COSXJFAN
10-23-2009, 08:16 AM
I will usually use the Karma philosophy...most of the time!! I would hate to think that I was stuck somewhere with no hope of recovery, because of my previous actions. With that said, there are situations that a recovery is not in the cards. I will leave that one alone...

96xj
10-23-2009, 09:47 AM
i don't mind giving a hand to someone that needs it , but at the same time if that truck is in a spot w/o rope or winch that they know that its not capable of getting out of then i get mad , i don't like when people go to a spot w/o a winch or a rope and expect some one to help i don't like messing up my rig or equipment as everyone know its a lot of $$$$$$$$$$$$ to fix or replace the shit
let just say for example a H3 is stuck w/o a rope or winch i will ask for some $$$, but if he/she with the H3 has the right equipment but just cant use it do to the area that there in like not having a tie off point the I will not charge $$$

Mudderoy
10-23-2009, 09:48 AM
I like the idea of helping people out of a jam. I don't like the idea of being thought liable for any damage that might occur while "helping out". I think it is a good idea to have them hook up the line, however can't they damage your cable if they are not "versed" in what they are doing?

I read that some guys carry cards and hand them out when they help someone. Something to the effect of "Pass it forward".

Many years ago now the director of the Houston zoo stopped to help a stranded motorist on one of our major highways. That is dangerous enough an endeavor all by itself. He had stopped and helped people many times before, so this was just a string of a long line of offered assistance. Of course the majority of us didn't know this. It took him being robbed and killed during his final offering of assistance for us to find out of his kind deeds.

4.3LXJ
10-23-2009, 11:06 AM
I like the idea of helping people out of a jam. I don't like the idea of being thought liable for any damage that might occur while "helping out". I think it is a good idea to have them hook up the line, however can't they damage your cable if they are not "versed" in what they are doing?

That is why in my recovery gear there is a strap with a short chain on each end. Most people in other forums think they are silly. But those chains are to wrap around axles and other stout things a clevis will not fit around and also to keep the strap off sharp metal. At least half of the people you encounter that are stuck will not have recovery points.

cantab27
10-23-2009, 11:28 AM
i know a guy who carries a spare rope.. people ask for help,if no recovery gear and smart a## he then offers to sell them there first bit off gear... i love the card idea, thats cool....and a big believer in karma....:thumbsup::thumbsup:

DETOURS
10-24-2009, 05:03 PM
Never charged..

afbond03
11-01-2009, 10:35 PM
Actually pulled a kid out of the mud tonight. Gave me $20.
As I previously stated I usually don't accept money but in his case I did.
1. He was in a spot he should have not been in.
2. My wife spent all my MONEY this weekend.

BlueXJ
11-01-2009, 10:40 PM
Wives will do that.

xj4life2
11-03-2009, 05:58 PM

It makes no difference as to what or who they are to me (personally). Saftey first then out they come ....