PDA

View Full Version : Reason(s) you bought an XJ

toast018
10-22-2009, 10:13 AM
I was curious why everyone else bought their XJ. I seen some talk about it here and there but I thought it would be neat to have a thread dedicated to it. I'll start: (might wanna grab some :popcorn:)

I first seen how durable the 4.0L engines and drivetrains were when I was in High School. I drove a 79 Dodge Power Wagon on 31's and 4" lift. There was no 2wd option in that beast. It was all time 4x4, you could lock it in high or low as well. Then I went to a 85 Scottsdale 4x4 on 35's with a 4" lift. I got them both into some sticky situations... Sorry off topic... lol...

As I was saying before I interrupted myself, lol in High School a buddy of mine inherited a 88 (I think) Red/Tan Commanche 2wd 4.0L 5-Speed SWB. He drove the :turd: out of that thing. I mean just tried with everything to break it. Donuts, Drag Racing, etc. But it just would not break. He gave it back to his dad a couple years after we graduated to buy a new Chevy Truck (he was sorry shortly afterwards). I still see his old jeep driving around town with his dad still driving it. Still the Original engine and trans. :wow:

Then when my lil brother turned 16 I gave him my 1999 dakota 2wd 2.5L 5-Speed. He could never get the hang of shifting gears without taking out a mailbox or ditch. :fail:(didnt understand the concept of you dont have to look at the shifter to shift...) So we went car shopping. After almost a solid day I came across a White/Gold 1994 Limited Jeep Gran Cherokee 2wd. I looked under the hood and noticed that it had the 4.0L and not the V8. I knew it was a solid easy to work on engine with a lil over 130K miles. I talked the guy down on the price and he gave me $1500 for my Dodge. (it was beat to H E double hockey sticks and back and the thing shewed tires up for some reason) That has been about 6 years ago now and he still drives it. We actually traded cars a few years ago when I had a 1994 Deville. If it had been a XJ I would not have traded it back to him when he got tired of looking ganster in the deville lol...

I have been thru over 8 cars in the same span my brother has had his jeep. and over 15 since my buddy inherited his. So when I totalled out my last car on a deer I decided no more expensive car payment and no more plastic covered engine bays. I wanted a cheap, tough, reliable, dependable, easy to work on vehicle that would take me anywhere I asked it. So I searched for over 2 weeks before I found the perfect jeep... my Turtle Tank as my Friends dad calls it.

After my bro finally seen my XJ he is now wanting to sell the Grand and buy one. (Auto of course lol)

Anyway that's my story of why I wanted a Jeep, sorry if its hard to follow. I gots that ADHD and I've had to get away from the computer several times to fix computer probs here at work.

BlueXJ
10-22-2009, 10:22 AM
Sold the CJ-7 and bought the first XJ when the grandkids came along. Could not get them in the CJ very easily or safely. Had a sportscar and a pick-up but neither would fit a childseat into the non existant backseat, where it is recommended to put those seats.

xj4life2
10-22-2009, 10:49 AM
Needed a 4wd to get around in the winter, the owner sold me one he had for a $1000.00 ,he said the 4wd didn't work. He took $25.00 a week outta my check till it was paid off. I drove it and fell in love with it ,the rest is history. by the way he obviously never looked at it , once I got all four tires the same size the 4wd worked great.

COSXJFAN
10-22-2009, 11:01 AM
Me + wife + 1 daughter + 1 son + 2 dogs + gear= 1 serious need for a capable, roomy off road vehicle!!

Mudderoy
10-22-2009, 11:37 AM
The wife and I had always wanted a Jeep from our late teen years. I only really knew about the Wrangler, as well as my wife. We met and married at 29/32. I thought it was high time that I had the Jeep I had wanted for several years, and my wife wanted one as well. I had gone to the local dealership and checked out a black 98 TJ with hardtop, A/C, standard and the 4.0L (I didn't want no stinkin 4 banger). I took the wife up there to have a look at the time we had two little girls, 3 and 4 years old (still got them they're just bigger now) so I thought the bright red Cherokee on the show room floor might be worth having a look at.

My wife said that this made more since (4 door and all) but she really wanted the Wrangler. I told her I did too, but this was a Jeep, it was a 4x4 and there was plenty of room to carry the family plus some space in the back. I told her we could get a Wrangler in a few years when the girls got bigger. She agreed, so we spoke to the salesman about the Cherokee. I think he pointed at the Grands but I just laughed and called those "yuppy" vehicles. I wanted a four wheel drive and I didn't want to go to far away from the Wrangler.

We both love red, so I asked if they had a red one with standard transmission. Oh no they'd have to order that special from the factory. :thumbdown:

So then I asked if there was one I could test drive, he said how about this one? I said well I thought it being in this room surrounded by glass it might be easier to drive one of the 100 you have outside. He laughed and the proceeded to swing open a couple of the glass doors, and drove it out.

My wife and I jumped in and as soon as I got to the feeder I floored it.

It had good pickup but the brakes were awful! It felt heavy and like it didn't want to stop. We drove it a couple of miles, took it back and told them we'd take it.

It was $24k+!!! That was a few thousand more than the Wrangler.

A few years ago I decided I was going to keep the XJ and build it up. We're still going to get that Wrangler, but it will be a used "TJ" model. I heard the new ones are crap. The TJ will be my wife's primary vehicle. I'll build that one up as I have the funds, but of course we have to buy it first.

Then we'll have a XJ and a TJ.

alwaysxj
10-22-2009, 11:41 AM
i have had alot of 4x4s it started out like this.
1.1979 dodge power waggon.
2.1977 chevy on 35s. (twice same truck)
3.1988 subaru waggon all wheel drive. (fun car)
4.1988 suzuki sami.
5.1985 gmc 4x4. (twice same truck)
then the sickness started with the jeeps and i always go back to a xj hense the name.
6.1994 jeep xj loved that thing never should of sold it.
7.1985 toy pick up biggest peice of crap ever had it for like a month and then back to xj.
8.1992 jeep xj ford 8.8 with disc breaks and a arb but had alot of miles. over 3 hundred.
9.1982 toy pick up again a toy but this one was a keeper but not to wheel it just to drive. but then found out that i was going to have another kide so back to a xj.
10.1988 jeep xj done alot of work to this one if i can get a newer motor some where this one might last.

so the resone i went with the xj was i had a kid and a wife that needed to go with so i was realy looking in to a 4runner. because all my friends have toys so i figured why not. well that did not go over to well with the wife she did not like how it looked and it was old. so found a nice looking 94 xj that was green and she said she liked it so i got it and now their is nothing like the xj out their to drive or to wheel i think i will always have a xj.

now keep in mind i am only 23 and i did not get my first truck tell i was 17. so is that alot of cars for my age? my wife thinks so she calls me a car sales men.

Melissa
10-22-2009, 02:56 PM
Nice alwaysxj, I had a 84 Subaru wagon 4x4, loved it!

Anyways, my story is pretty boring. I had the subaru, it was a 5 speed and one day it stuck in 4th gear and I could not get it out. I had only paid $40 for the subaru the year before and I did not feel it was worth the money to fix the tranny. So I started looking around for a grand cherokee ( don't yell, I thought they were cute ), when I spotted a green ( favorite color ) 93 cherokee country sitting on a lot just down the road from me. I thought it looked like the perfect "Soccer Mom" rig as I had two growing daughters to haul around. I jumped in it for a test drive and instantly fell in love with it. The jeep had 147,000 on the OD and was priced at $3500, but when I want something, I usually get what I want. So I talked the guy down to $3200 ( I was not trying very hard, I really wanted it ), paid him cash and drove it home. I have never regretted that decision. I knew nothing about the XJ's, their motors or their tranny's, I just knew that I wanted it. Even now after having to replace the motor and the numerous other repairs, I wouldn't trade for any other rig, unless of course it happens to be another XJ.

Before the XJ I've had a 87 Nissan Sentra, drove it until I totaled it with more than 350,000 on the OD, a 87 Toyota 4x4 pickup, 88 Honda Accord, 87 Suburban 4x4, 84 Subaru 4x4, and a 92 Dodge Diesel 4x4 ( Still have the Diesel )

toast018
10-22-2009, 03:28 PM
now keep in mind i am only 23 and i did not get my first truck tell i was 17. so is that alot of cars for my age? my wife thinks so she calls me a car sales men.

lol... not at all Im 26 and have owned over 15... It would be alot higher number than that but I started buying expensive crap when I turned 21... That'll slow ya down quick! lol...

alwaysxj
10-22-2009, 04:02 PM
lol... not at all Im 26 and have owned over 15... It would be alot higher number than that but I started buying expensive crap when I turned 21... That'll slow ya down quick! lol...

well i have had 12 cars if you count getting the trucks twice.
i also have got my wife 3 cars i did not count those because those are not (mine) even though i do pay for the payment on it. my wife has had.
1.99 pontiac crand am gt that was wrecked like 4 times by her. (can't have a fast car she thinks that she is a nascar driver)
2.02 jeep grand. (ya i had a grand) it started on fire the first day we had it.
3. and current 05 nissan maxima nice fam car.

so if she will let me then i have had 15 and im only 23:D:driving:

afbond03
10-22-2009, 05:21 PM
Well I was stationed in Hawaii and was told I would be PCS'n to Wyoming. At the time I was driving a 1994 300zx, a car that I had wanted since I was a child and I finally had picked one up off a friend. Knowing that I could make more selling it in Hawaii and also knowing that I would need a 4x4 vehicle. I started looking around the island for something to suit my needs. At first I wanted a 4x4 Yota or Nissan P/U. I had a 96 Nissan in High School and loved that thing. Well a Grand Cherokee on Craigslist caught my eye, so I went to check it out. Upon arrival he no longer had it but had the 1998 Jeep Cherokee that I know own. Well it was a 1 owned Jeep and in great condition and the price was to sweet for me to pass up. So I snagged it off the lot that evening.

Now in the process of finding the wife a 2 door XJ to drive during the winter. To make me happy this summer we traded in her Camry and purchased an 09 370z. So I not only have 1 of my favorite vehicles in my driveway, but 2 since the Jeep has grown on me.

N1TZU
10-22-2009, 05:55 PM
Hey toast018,My reason is fairly straight forward I think-I've always wanted a 4x4 to modify and tinker with and with a lot of research I learned that the 4.0 Cherokee XJ is an awesome and tough vehicle that fit the bill for me,I also like the size and style -now that my wife and I are pretty much empty nester's{no kids at home that is,,,almost}we now have a bit more funds to do these extra fun things which now also includes a 1998 HD Fatboy........Thanks for the thread......

toast018
10-23-2009, 07:04 AM
Well I was stationed in Hawaii and was told I would be PCS'n to Wyoming. At the time I was driving a 1994 300zx, a car that I had wanted since I was a child and I finally had picked one up off a friend. Knowing that I could make more selling it in Hawaii and also knowing that I would need a 4x4 vehicle. I started looking around the island for something to suit my needs. At first I wanted a 4x4 Yota or Nissan P/U. I had a 96 Nissan in High School and loved that thing. Well a Grand Cherokee on Craigslist caught my eye, so I went to check it out. Upon arrival he no longer had it but had the 1998 Jeep Cherokee that I know own. Well it was a 1 owned Jeep and in great condition and the price was to sweet for me to pass up. So I snagged it off the lot that evening.

Now in the process of finding the wife a 2 door XJ to drive during the winter. To make me happy this summer we traded in her Camry and purchased an 09 370z. So I not only have 1 of my favorite vehicles in my driveway, but 2 since the Jeep has grown on me.

The 90's Z cars are still one of the best looking cars made. I will eventually own one myself. (it will be a long long time from now) lol... Im glad someone else on here likes the Z car. The 370 is sweet too man. They could get a speeding ticket standing still... lol...

I think the wifey will love a 2 door. I made sure when I bought my xj it had to be a 2 door. I just like them better... Personal Preference I guess. :)

toast018
10-23-2009, 07:07 AM
Hey toast018,My reason is fairly straight forward I think-I've always wanted a 4x4 to modify and tinker with and with a lot of research I learned that the 4.0 Cherokee XJ is an awesome and tough vehicle that fit the bill for me,I also like the size and style -now that my wife and I are pretty much empty nester's{no kids at home that is,,,almost}we now have a bit more funds to do these extra fun things which now also includes a 1998 HD Fatboy........Thanks for the thread......

I just sold my F4i to help payoff some random bills so the bank would let me get the jeep. I miss my bike so so much. And I love your jeep. Something about a white xj with those flairs just looks friggin sweet! lol...

cheap jeep
10-23-2009, 01:09 PM
I have a 86 Ranger 4x4, which needs some work and I was tired of it,and a 94 Caravan. I thought my XJ would pretty much replace both. I got it reasonable,that's why I go by [cheap jeep]

4.3LXJ
10-23-2009, 01:36 PM
I have had lots of 4X4s, mostly spartan. I was living in cold country and needed a good snow rig so I bought an 85. Rolled it down here in CA, then bought my 86 for $1500. It was almost pristine, had been towed behind a motor home most of the time, but the guy didn't know how to work on anything. It had a broken center pin on the rear leaf spring, so he unloaded it. I drove it home, picked it up with my shy crane (man I miss that) and fixed it in 30 minutes. I have had it for five years now. When I moved to CA the smog police got after me and I couldn't buy a carburetor part, couldn't throw away a perfectly running jeep, so I started the mods. Once I start, I can't stop until I have the best there is. Everything I do is aimed at having something of factory quality and usability, but awesome off road performance.

N1TZU
10-23-2009, 06:45 PM
Thanks for the compliment on my jeep toast018,It's been a very fun project and she climbs like a tank......fun vehicle...

toast018
10-24-2009, 11:23 AM
4.3LXJ thanks for not throwing away a perfectly good jeep just because of those silly emission rules... One of the reasons I'm glad to live in TN. lol...

cherok
10-25-2009, 09:42 AM
For me the model makes it the most buetifull car in the world.
Bodysize in relation to the tiresize is spectacular.http://www.mijnalbum.nl/Foto-VSDNKT3C.jpg

tbone
10-27-2009, 08:53 PM
Well I just lucked in to my first xj for 300. It was a 84 that my brother-in-law repoed when he did that for a living. Since I have had a 91 and my current 88. I love the power and capeability of the small rig so it will always be my main 4x4. :cool:

AJ99
10-31-2009, 01:52 AM
well i used to have a mustang and it was in my wifes (girlfriend at the time) parents name because of insurance reasons and well i messed up she left me and sold my pride and joy for 800. Had a lot of work done on the interior and motor. Needless to say i also lost my license due to to many tickets/points. So we decided to work things out or at least try for our daughters sake and it worked out. But we needed to buy a car for my wife because her old car somehow was driven with out oil and spun the rod bearings too bad to fix and we were looking at a chevy chevette for 500 and when we were test driving it we saw this jeep (in my wifes eyes a soccer moms car) for 1200. needless to say we got the jeep!!!!!

Voldemort
10-31-2009, 12:29 PM
I was curious why everyone else bought their XJ. I seen some talk about it here and there but I thought it would be neat to have a thread dedicated to it. I'll start: (might wanna grab some :popcorn:)

Which one!?!?!?!:shocker::shocker::thumbsup: I have always loved Jeeps dependability and I had a couple wranglers before I came across my first XJ and noticed it had the same I6 as the Wranglers, so I studied up on them. rices were very good but the Uni-body made me worry. But I found a cheaper one and gave them a try, And I have LOVED them ever since.:patriot::patriot: