PDA

View Full Version : Horn no worky. a certainly a bad situation

rabies
09-11-2014, 01:41 PM
well. my horn stopped working a few months ago.
very devistating :cry: i literaly honk my horn every mile to annoy people or bother people. ....different topic..

anyways. i nnnnnneeeed my horn back.
horns are there and wiring seems fine
relay is fine. tried other and relays.
around same time i rigged some "other" wiring.
i did ripped out the "ding ding ding ding" thingy for when key is left in ig. i hate that thing.

anways i have 2 plugs going into the clock spring. one is like 3-4 wires. prolly airbag. i have no cruise control buttons fyi. and the other plug is a blck and blue wire....

now i have this other unpluggedd plug that is black and blue also..
what is it to? i cant find a spot for it

i cut it and put them together to see what would happen. nothing

i do remember it still working after i had "modded" some wiring
http://i943.photobucket.com/albums/ad277/rick_rabies/XJ%20Jeep/0911141316.jpg (http://s943.photobucket.com/user/rick_rabies/media/XJ%20Jeep/0911141316.jpg.html)

bluedragon436
09-11-2014, 02:30 PM
If your cruise control and horn don't work, might almost seem like it could be something with the clock spring as a whole being bad... like maybe the contacts inside...

rabies
09-11-2014, 02:35 PM
il rephrase "the jeep didnt come with cruise control"
i dont have those buttons on teh wheel. just airbag and horn wires going to clock spring

bluedragon436
09-11-2014, 02:49 PM
Guess I miss read that sorry.. And did you say that you were able to check for voltage @ the relay and at the horn to make sure there is even a signal getting out from the steering wheel?? Or I guess even since you've pulled the plug from the back of the clock spring can you check @ that location and see if there is a signal when you hit the horn button??

rabies
09-11-2014, 02:56 PM
i see a multimeter like a baby sees a calculus book.
no idea how to use it...shamefully admitted
any idea wht that plug is? its seperate from what plugs into the clock spring. but has same color wires

NW99XJ
09-12-2014, 08:33 AM
I'm going to have to pull my knee bolster and look for that plug myself.... Off the top of my head, I don't know what that is or is used for.
I will say this though, ....if your going to continue to do wiring jobs on your jeep, you should learn how to use a multimeter... (just sayin)
I'll report back this weekend as to what I find out about that plug... providing I HAVE one in my 99.

rabies
09-12-2014, 08:46 AM
i think it plugged into the ignition wheel cylinder.
but...i have no ignitoni wheel cylinder thing anymore. but why would the horn plug into that. also worked after i pulled it out and and rewired igntion.
found some multimeter videos on youtube but on gov pc here youtube has been down this week :(

bluedragon436
09-12-2014, 09:17 AM
i think it plugged into the ignition wheel cylinder.
but...i have no ignitoni wheel cylinder thing anymore. but why would the horn plug into that. also worked after i pulled it out and and rewired igntion.
found some multimeter videos on youtube but on gov pc here youtube has been down this week :(

Sounds like normal Govt. blockage of good stuff to me... Cant have any kind of positive @ work.. :patriot:

rabies
09-12-2014, 10:00 AM
youtube is an allowed site. any game related site is blocked.
but this week it been goofy. my outlook is freezing up and hardrive has been whining.
lots of staring at the wall and drinking coffee.
i go out to my jeep every 2hrs or so and tinker with it

denverd1
09-29-2014, 06:46 PM
why not run wires directly to horn under hood? I like computers and I like Jeeps, I just don't like them together. Bypass all that crap and run wire to a button you push for horn.

rabies
09-29-2014, 08:06 PM
too late .been ripped out. will get air compressor n..horns :)

sidewaysstarion
02-03-2015, 03:16 PM
So looking through the wiring diagram, the two pin connector you cut was the switch wires for the cruise control switches. If you want to test the horn on the 4 pin connector on the clock spring you need to short pin 1 and pin 3, both of which should be 20 gauge black with a red stripe.

Also you can check fuse 21 in the PDC which is for the horn.