PDA

View Full Version : ZJ Trail Rig (1:25 scale model)

XJ Wheeler
09-09-2014, 03:48 AM
Like some of you, perhaps just the somewhat older members here, I loved building model cars when I was a kid and even up to maybe 18-19 years old. Although like the fullsize versions I don't enjoy just a stock variation. So I got to where I would make full working suspensions, opening doors, and other various custom touches. Well, all this time at home staring at the old builds on the shelf, as well as a model car group of FB that has far more talent than I possess, I chose to pull them out and clean em up. Well, found a couple broken pieces so I gotta fix those right... and I think you can guess where that headed. One of those past vehicles was a 1:25th Scale ZJ that I built probably 10 years ago. It was before I really got into doing things bigger and better. I always looked at it and regretted my lack of design and engineering. For the suspension I just had some round plastic glued in for driveshafts and coils. Nothing else. Well, when it was the ZJs turn for a cleaning I found one of the driveshafts broken, the bumper messed up, apparently I found it adequate to get a completely different tire and cut it up to replace another I lost. So it was the last straw... time for a rebuild. :bacondance:

This is basically how it set, minus the aforementioned suspension (forgot to take pics before I ripped it off).

Don't ask me why on the red. I was young and stupid...:crazy:

Figured this would be something different for everyone to see. I learned a lot from these things and do accredit some of my detail oriented mindset to working with these. And I suggest them for any growing gearhead. The build will continue!

4.3LXJ
09-09-2014, 06:52 AM
Now if they only had one in an XJ

bluedragon436
09-09-2014, 08:08 AM
That's pretty cool... Nothing wrong with learning and revamping... isn't that what we do with the 1:1 scale models??? So that ZJ had three different tread patterns going on? Looks like the front and rear don't match, and neither does the spare on the roof.. I don't think the ant will get you much of a good signal mounted to the rack either... lol... Looks good, and look forward to seeing the rebuild... Is that a Ram scale model in the background there??

XJ Wheeler
09-09-2014, 06:18 PM
Now if they only had one in an XJ

I know! A while back there was a petition to try and get I believe it was Revell to build one. I doubt it will happen but why not?! They made two different kits for the ZJ but no XJ!

That's pretty cool... Nothing wrong with learning and revamping... isn't that what we do with the 1:1 scale models??? So that ZJ had three different tread patterns going on? Looks like the front and rear don't match, and neither does the spare on the roof.. I don't think the ant will get you much of a good signal mounted to the rack either... lol... Looks good, and look forward to seeing the rebuild... Is that a Ram scale model in the background there??

Lol, see young and stupid! :D I have gotten a better and matching set of tires and wheels.

Good eye. It is a 94-01 club cab built to be a lcg beater.

bluedragon436
09-09-2014, 07:34 PM
That'd be an awesome Ram to own in a 1:1 scale!!

XJ Wheeler
09-09-2014, 08:02 PM
That'd be an awesome Ram to own in a 1:1 scale!!

Ya know, when i was a kid i said i would own a real version of every model i built.... :D

XJ Wheeler
09-10-2014, 04:06 AM
Got the suspension going in the front. Its essentially gonna be a long arm four link setup with a trackbar. I still need to find softer springs cause I want this to be fully functional and flex out nicely. I used 2.5mm round styrene for the arms and trackbar and I made the mounts out of flat styrene.

bluedragon436
09-10-2014, 05:38 AM
Nice looking suspension build.. Def far more skill then I'd have designing out a suspension upgrade..

XJ Wheeler
09-10-2014, 05:44 AM
Nice looking suspension build.. Def far more skill then I'd have designing out a suspension upgrade..

Yeah, its much easier working with these little things so I can get more creative.

Brasscatz
09-10-2014, 08:31 AM
Nice work, Jake. I used to love building models. I was lazy though and only cared about building the exterior, so there were a lot of empty engine compartments lol

4.3LXJ
09-10-2014, 09:05 AM
Good work Jake. Good thing stuff is cheaper for these too

XJ Wheeler
09-10-2014, 04:22 PM
Nice work, Jake. I used to love building models. I was lazy though and only cared about building the exterior, so there were a lot of empty engine compartments lol

Lol, just run a bead of glue around the hood! I think we all had our things we "forgot". Mine was usually the undercarriage.

Good work Jake. Good thing stuff is cheaper for these too

Thanks! That probably why i like doing it. I can build a cool jeep with a full long arm suspension that only costs $4 for plastic. :D

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.