PDA

View Full Version : It was bound to happen...

Mudderoy
10-21-2009, 12:12 PM
It was bound to happen sooner or later. You get a bunch of people together and there are going to be times when they don't get along.

Sadly we've had to do a couple of bans already. All the bans have expired at this time.

Because of us having to do this policing action I started looking into the "built in" infraction system. We have started using it. Basically it is a points system. If you get an infraction you will be assigned a point value. Each infraction has a duration associated with it. In other words that point value will last "X" number of hours, days, months and then expire.

The points accumulate. So if your point value gets above a certain limit you will receive a ban for "X" number of days. I am trying to structure it so the bans are relatively short as it is our goal for everyone to get along, not ban you.

In most cases you will receive some sort of contact from me, or the moderators prior to receiving an infraction. Serious issues may result in an infraction, or out right ban. This should be very rare though.

If you have any questions, or concerns please feel free to ask. You can PM me or we can even discuss over the phone.

This is all about your enjoyment of this board, and not a way to exert undo control over you.

COSXJFAN
10-21-2009, 01:05 PM
That is unfortunate to say the least!! Too bad people just can't respect other's opinions, regardless if they differ form their own!!

Mudderoy
10-21-2009, 01:10 PM
That is unfortunate to say the least!! Too bad people just can't respect other's opinions, regardless if they differ form their own!!

It happens to all of us. It depends on person's background, how there day is going and if the Jeep is running well or not. :smiley-laughing021:

Even though I try to think things through and read and re-read my posts it happens to me as well.

If people hadn't been slapping me in the back of the head for YEARS I'd be really bad. :rotfl2:

COSXJFAN
10-21-2009, 02:18 PM
Myself!! I can be a touch ornery at times!! Go figure...

Howler_GT
10-21-2009, 03:14 PM
I normally do not make snide remarks when it comes to people themselves. What they say or do is a different story.

But since its COS.
And COS has a thick skin...

COS....:sad0147:

A TOUCH ORNERY???? :mad0090:

With THAT out of the way...

I believe the points system is a good idea.

How many points is COS starting out with? :smiley-laughing021:

DOH!

xjjeepthing
10-21-2009, 08:21 PM
I hate this. I like the idea of getting both sides of the story before banning someone

Mudderoy
10-21-2009, 08:34 PM
I hate this. I like the idea of getting both sides of the story before banning someone

Well that's what I was hoping this would do. People get an infraction and they can ask WTF? We discuss it and come to an understanding and continue on. I'd rather not have anyone banned, only to be notified of the problem, the problem corrected (or a better understanding between the member and the admin/moderator) an continue on.

I don't want anyone in daily fear of being banned. Bans are and will continue to be rare, and the ban should be short the vast majority of the time.

It isn't our goal to teach members what their parents should have taught them :smiley-laughing021:, only to keep the majority happy.

Voldemort
10-22-2009, 03:14 AM
I hope I was not the cause of this Muddy? If so I apologize to all members. I can be a a little rough around the edges but I do not mean any harm.

xjjeepthing
10-22-2009, 06:48 AM
Not your fault bad. I don't know if I like the points system. I think I would rather let the mods handle things through PM and then discuss it with each other first

Mudderoy
10-22-2009, 09:07 AM
I hope I was not the cause of this Muddy? If so I apologize to all members. I can be a a little rough around the edges but I do not mean any harm.

No you were not. I'll tell you like I tell my wife, "It's not all about you!" :rotfl2:

We had a ban recently (it's over now) and I was looking at this feature as a way to communicate not only to the person that was "infracting" but to all the moderators, or them to me. It has nice record keeping stuff in it. The only thing worse than being banned for something is being banned twice, or three times because someone forgot to tell the rest of the team what is going on.

Mudderoy
10-22-2009, 09:09 AM
Not your fault bad. I don't know if I like the points system. I think I would rather let the mods handle things through PM and then discuss it with each other first

I like this too, lets discuss it.

COSXJFAN
10-22-2009, 09:34 AM
I normally do not make snide remarks when it comes to people themselves. What they say or do is a different story.

But since its COS.
And COS has a thick skin...

COS....:sad0147:

A TOUCH ORNERY???? :mad0090:

With THAT out of the way...

I believe the points system is a good idea.

How many points is COS starting out with? :smiley-laughing021:

DOH!

Thanks Howler!! At least you are in my corner!! LOL!!

HowlerGT=:cheerleader:

:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

COSXJFAN
10-22-2009, 09:39 AM
Just put a post about disciplinary actions in your "secret ninja staff area". Then when you want to research a given member's behavior, there will be a record of it. It just takes ALL of your mod team doing this in order for it to be effective. As long as everyone plays ball, it could work...

BlueXJ
10-22-2009, 09:58 AM
What xjjeepthing is refering to along with COS is how it is done on most forums. Mods still have the discretion to issue a ban or infraction but they must justify it in the Ninja area. The one exception is a spammer. They are banned as soon as they are found or reported.

Audio222
10-22-2009, 01:07 PM
Bans, great what kind of music do they play I prefer Heavy metal myself. Really we have our own bans this is far more than I expected in a web site. I play a little drums can I join in ? :)

Mudderoy
10-22-2009, 02:36 PM
Bans, great what kind of music do they play I prefer Heavy metal myself. Really we have our own bans this is far more than I expected in a web site. I play a little drums can I join in ? :)

I would ban him, but I bet I'm the only one that would think it was funny. :smiley-laughing021:

alwaysxj
10-22-2009, 04:18 PM
:poke::moon::oops::fighting0074::fighting0061::smi ley-taunt002::allcrap::gitrdun:

xj4life2
10-23-2009, 05:22 PM

I have to agree with xjjeepthing I think that both sides should get a say and defend thier actions. I have found that sometimes the "guilty" party was actually the offended party and the wrong person was banned. Just my $.02 worth

DETOURS
10-24-2009, 04:58 PM
Hey Look........I'M BACK!!!!! :rotfl2:

Voldemort
10-27-2009, 03:22 PM
No you were not. I'll tell you like I tell my wife, "It's not all about you!" :rotfl2:

IT'S NOT!?!?!?!?!?! :shocker::shocker:NNNNOOOO!!!!!!!:thumbdown:

Seriously though in the end this is your forum so what ever is easiest for you.