PDA

View Full Version : My bumpstop fell out!

Mudderoy
10-20-2009, 11:13 AM
http://xjtalk.com/images/special/bumpstop.jpg

So I was under the Jeep the other day checking to make sure the calipers were tight (I recently replaced the brake pads and now something is rattling at low speed but goes away when I press on the brakes) and I noticed that the bump stop on the front passenger side has fallen out and is laying on it's side in the spring! :sad0147:

Anyone had this problem, or fixed it? It will be easy enough to put it back, but I'm wondering how it stayed in there to begin with. I was thinking of some epoxy and maybe a screw or two.

TXstiGUY
10-20-2009, 12:49 PM
I don't even run them. but its held in with little"claws" just bend them back in a little. And it is a pain in the ***, jack up the jeep and let the suspension hang it will be easier to get your hand in there. :thumbsup:

BlueXJ
10-20-2009, 09:29 PM
Should have a bolt through the center of it.

As to your brake noise. Did you install the anti-rattle springs behind the brake pads? They are flat 1/2" wide slightly bowed springs which keep the pad evenly pressed against the rotor and caliper pistons.

Mudderoy
10-20-2009, 09:36 PM
Should have a bolt through the center of it.

As to your brake noise. Did you install the anti-rattle springs behind the brake pads? They are flat 1/2" wide slightly bowed springs which keep the pad evenly pressed against the rotor and caliper pistons.

Ahhh ok good. I'll have a closer look.

Yep, clips that go inside the caliper on one side and clips that go over the other side. Everything was tight.

4.3LXJ
10-20-2009, 09:40 PM
Those rubber snubbers are not held in by much. Just put it back in and see if it is loose. If so, use an adjustment hammer on it.

muddeprived
10-21-2009, 01:48 PM
Maybe the bumpstop is kinda depressed from lack of off road bumps and decided to escape to a more abused rig but realized that it was "in jail" and couldn't really go anywhere.

have you done any serious flexin lately? Sometimes when you flex the coil will arch and the bumpstop hits the coil and pops out.

You can get it back in without messing with the coil, just use grease and pop it in.

Mudderoy
10-21-2009, 01:50 PM
I drove up on the hood of a Miata the other day, but I'd hardly call that flexing! :smiley-laughing021:

COSXJFAN
10-22-2009, 11:17 AM
Hey, easy there, Blue has a Miata!! :driving:

Mudderoy
01-05-2010, 11:21 AM
Looking back at some earlier pictures it was apparent that the bump stop fell out some time ago.

I was concerned about having the bump stop in place before going to Spring Creek Off Road park on Dec. 27th. So that morning I got out there and tried to put it back in place. I didn't stay, so I broke out the loc-tight epoxy and got as much glue as I could get on there through the gaps of the compressed spring. I didn't hold out much hope for the bump stop staying in place.

To my utter amazement I saw that it was still in place a couple of days after the trip when I was washing all the crap off the Jeep.

I did find out that I need to extend the rear bump stops. That's the only place the tires rubbed.

muddeprived
01-05-2010, 04:21 PM
Looking back at some earlier pictures it was apparent that the bump stop fell out some time ago.

I was concerned about having the bump stop in place before going to Spring Creek Off Road park on Dec. 27th. So that morning I got out there and tried to put it back in place. I didn't stay, so I broke out the loc-tight epoxy and got as much glue as I could get on there through the gaps of the compressed spring. I didn't hold out much hope for the bump stop staying in place.

To my utter amazement I saw that it was still in place a couple of days after the trip when I was washing all the crap off the Jeep.

I did find out that I need to extend the rear bump stops. That's the only place the tires rubbed.

How do ya plan to extend the rear bumpstops?

Mudderoy
01-05-2010, 05:03 PM
How do ya plan to extend the rear bumpstops?

GoJeep to the rescue baby! :link: (http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoBumpstops.htm)

muddeprived
01-05-2010, 05:09 PM
GoJeep to the rescue baby! :link: (http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoBumpstops.htm)

Oh yeah that's what I did.....or tried to do.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/muddeprived/cherokee/bumpstops/PIC-0100.jpg

Ended up breaking 3 of 4 bolts that hold the bumpstops on so I had to drill and tap the frame and then after installing the 2" extension it still rubbed cuz it wasn't enough bumpstop for my 5" rear. My shocks would compress before the bumpstops hit. So I ended up going with dpg-offroad bumpstop plates. Much easier to install and much easier to adjust.