PDA

View Full Version : Harbor Freight Wobble Extensions

Dredwolf
08-15-2014, 11:37 AM
Real life has a way of always interrupting any work on the XJ, but I thought I would post a tool review.
Now, my wife already believes I have almost every tool made, and while I do own a lot of tools, there are many people and shops with far more tools than I. However, after a recent replacement of the starter on the ’91 Explorer my daughter drives, I realized with embarrassment that I had over-looked a useful tool.
Now I have owned some quality chrome u-joints for since being a teen, and they are well used. My ¼” is a MAC, the 2 3/8”’s are old Craftsman, and the ½” is S-K. I worked in an electric motor shop out of high school, and bought a set of ¼” drive Standard flex sockets off a tool truck, and a couple of years ago, I bought a set of Harbor Freight Impact Universal joints, and Gearwrench Metric and Standard Flex sockets in 3/8” drive, so thought I had things covered pretty well.

But all of that was easily trounced by the particular piece of engineering and demonic design known as the 1991 Ford Explorer 4.0 starter, and the ½” top bolt that though the oversight of Ford’s early ‘90’s assembly line procedures, apparently had ZERO anti-seize applied on assembly day, and obstructed access. Much cursing and flailing occurred, with little forward progress other than to repeatedly drop a socket and various extensions, with laser-like accuracy, on my forehead at least five times :bang:, resulting in keen observations and witty comments from my beloved wife.:P

While at work the next day, I got to thinking about the problem, and began looking at the “wobble extensions” I had never considered before. Much like the ball-end hex/Allen wrenches, my thoughts were they could solve a problem, or make it worse. I found the following at Harbor Freight, and thought “Well, that’s cheap enough to try…”

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-piece-3-8-eighth-inch-drive-impact-wobble-socket-extension-set-67065.html

I picked up a set, and they seemed to engage my Craftman, SnapOn, Grearwrench and SK sockets well, and when pressed fully on, they locked straight. So I went out to the current bane of my existence, added a 12" extension, and after checking to make sure I was LOOSENING, gave it a good grunt...I was rewarded with a light pop, and the bolt started loosening. Less than 5 minutes later, the starter was out, in a box, and on its way to the local chain parts store for testing.

For the low price, and speedy removal, I could have saved myself a lot of time over the years with these....like the aggravating CPS change on the XJ.:rolleyes:

Turned out the starter was bad (caught on fire at the parts store :eek:), got the replacement, and the installation was equally speedy...no duct tape on a u-joint adapter, etc.:thumbsup:

The reviews imply this is one of the better HF tools, and thus far, I agree. I should have bought some sooner.:rolleyes:

bluedragon436
08-15-2014, 12:46 PM
I had looked at this set, as well as the non impact version quite a few times as I thought they might come in handy at some point in time or many times... Just hate that for the normal set I think the 12-14" extension might be a bit much, with the exception of the CPS or a few other rare uses... But after my thinking about it so many times and your review, think I'll have to pick up a set when I get back stateside... as I'm sure I'll make a trail to HF shortly after getting home.. lol

XJ Wheeler
08-15-2014, 03:40 PM
Sounds well worth it! Thanks for the review. I got their 10pc. wobble extension set (non impact) a short while back. It has (3) 1/4", (4) 3/8", and (3) 1/2". They've worked perfectly for anything i throw at them so no complaints thus far.

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

bluedragon436
08-15-2014, 03:46 PM
Sounds well worth it! Thanks for the review. I got their 10pc. wobble extension set (non impact) a short while back. It has (3) 1/4", (4) 3/8", and (3) 1/2". They've worked perfectly for anything i throw at them so no complaints thus far.

Glad to hear that review, as I'll most likely be picking up the 10pc. non impact setup when I get back.. as I am usually more of a non impact user.. but will eventually get the impact setup, since I'll be living where I can use my compressor again..

XJ Wheeler
08-15-2014, 03:56 PM
Glad to hear that review, as I'll most likely be picking up the 10pc. non impact setup when I get back.. as I am usually more of a non impact user.. but will eventually get the impact setup, since I'll be living where I can use my compressor again..

Yeah, same here. I haven't had a compressor around for a few years either. Oh how i long for the days of pneumatic ability... :rolleyes:

bluedragon436
08-15-2014, 04:00 PM
Yeah, same here. I haven't had a compressor around for a few years either. Oh how i long for the days of pneumatic ability... :rolleyes:

Oh I have one, and have had one for a few years now.. but living in the city limits, and even worse in a duplex.. I can't make sure of it, cause it's too loud... but it still works like a champ, so no point in me getting rid of it, and having to spend more money on one that isn't much quieter... I will one day purchase a larger more useful one later down the road, but will be happy just to be able to make use of it again.. Heck I had to take all of my tools and stuff over to a storage unit so I can work on stuff in the first place due to lack of space and to keep the city and neighbors happy... and have made use of the compressor a few times since it's been there.. even tore it down and rebuild it and replaced a few parts since it's been there..

XJ Wheeler
08-15-2014, 06:36 PM
Ahh, that's a shame! Hope it works out so you can make use of it.

Dredwolf
08-15-2014, 07:09 PM

I decided to buy the impact set to save $, I may go pick up the 10pc set now to get the other sizes for hand use.

bluedragon436
08-15-2014, 07:42 PM
I'll pick up the 10pc originally just cause I make use of hand tools more then I do impact.. But will end up picking them both up in the end.. especially as I plan on making use of my air tools more once I get back down to SC!!

XJ Wheeler
08-15-2014, 08:17 PM
Just for knowing, we just picked up an electric impact from HF in hopes that it will help for most applications. Now, its only 200-220 ft-lbs so i know it won't be comparable to pneumatic. But we got it for $37 so i figured its worth a shot. May be a temporary solution to your problem James. Although, i haven't tried it yet so i'll be sure to put up a review once i give it a workout.

bluedragon436
08-15-2014, 08:35 PM
Just for knowing, we just picked up an electric impact from HF in hopes that it will help for most applications. Now, its only 200-220 ft-lbs so i know it won't be comparable to pneumatic. But we got it for $37 so i figured its worth a shot. May be a temporary solution to your problem James. Although, i haven't tried it yet so i'll be sure to put up a review once i give it a workout.

Yeah I had thought about it a few times, just to have as another option.. But with the way the city is, not supposed to do anything out in the driveway in the first place.. so guess it doesn't really matter too much.. Figure I have to take it to the storage unit for my tools anyways.. so might as well make use of my pneumatic stuff if I have to go all the way there anyways.. lol.. But have through about picking one up to be able to transport it to other friend's places, where pneumatic isn't an option, so will look forward to that review!!

Rocco83
08-15-2014, 08:55 PM
I couldn't imagine not being able to wrench in a driveway that is absolute bullcrap. I have a HF 1/2" impact and it hasn't let me down and I haven't come across anything it wouldn't handle. As much as I make fun of their tools, I have yet to have problems with anything they offer.

bluedragon436
08-15-2014, 09:26 PM
I couldn't imagine not being able to wrench in a driveway that is absolute bullcrap. I have a HF 1/2" impact and it hasn't let me down and I haven't come across anything it wouldn't handle. As much as I make fun of their tools, I have yet to have problems with anything they offer.

Yeah trust me I hate it, and have def pushed my luck more then a few times.. until I needed somewhere to store the Heep... then I ended up with a rented garage.. so then I can wrench all I want, year round with an added heater purchase from HF of course... LOL

And I have quite a few HF tools myself as well as have used quite a few over the years at other people's place.. And I am not going to lie.. I have put some of them through hell, and have used some for jobs and uses they were not designed for.. Haven't had any real issues with the exception of bending a large flathead screw driver that I decided to use as a pry bar to remove a transmission out of a co-workers Scion... Overall I haven't had any real issue or reason to not purchase tools from them, but for the full socket set that I want to purchase so that I'll have a full set, not a mix match of crap that I currently make due with, I'll be purchasing elsewhere though!!

Rocco83
08-15-2014, 09:30 PM
Sometimes I miss living in town being close to attractions, but then I think if I loved it so much why am I living in BFE. Having no rules or home owners assoc. is nice, so is not living on top of other people. Can't imagine it. But I am thankful for all of the people who live in cities. It means they aren't living in my little corner of heaven bothering me with their presence.

I hate buying things from HF, but until something I get from there breaks or flat out does not work I will continue buying their stuff. I'm going to test one of their paint guns here pretty soon. I just need to get a bigger air compressor. No one has said their paints guns are good or bad, just that they work. That i good enough for me.

bluedragon436
08-15-2014, 09:32 PM
Yeah I was thinking about purchasing a larger compressor from them actually.. well when they have another sale on them that is.. And thought about picking up a gun they sell for doing bedliner... but since that stuff isn't the easiest to remove if it doesn't come out right, I think I'll just pick up a gun from one of the bedliner companies!! But have been seeing some good reviews of their compressors, especially for the price!!

Rocco83
08-15-2014, 09:34 PM
I have heard nothing but good things about their texture guns actually. BTW last time I was in there the manager told me they are pushing hard company wide to offer a military discount on top of their sale prices. That may come in handy when I go to get my compressor.

bluedragon436
08-15-2014, 09:40 PM
I have heard nothing but good things about their texture guns actually. BTW last time I was in there the manager told me they are pushing hard company wide to offer a military discount on top of their sale prices. That may come in handy when I go to get my compressor.

Yeah that'd be nice to see that discount... especially with as often as I go there.. Especially if I can get it to pick up my compressor to make it a nicer deal for sure!!

Rocco83
08-15-2014, 09:42 PM
home depot always has a 10% discount with a military ID. They tacked on an extra 10% during July 4th weekend. Was buying a bunch of stuff there to make a dock at the lake house when I found out. Would have loved to of known ahead of time so I could have picked up my compressor then. If you get an HF compressor let me know. I don't know anyone with one and haven't heard much about them.

bluedragon436
08-15-2014, 09:55 PM
I wish our Home Depot would do that.. only Lowes in our area will do the discount.. It's kind of nice actually... I've been thinking about trying to get a job either @ Lowes or Tractor Supply when I get down to SC, at least until I can find a more permanent career.. and if I do then I plan on trying to get any kind of discount I can and pick me up a decent compressor.. but if that doesn't work out, then I will most likely be picking up a HF compressor due to the cost..

Rocco83
08-15-2014, 09:59 PM
check CList. Lot of used ones in my area around the $200-$500 mark that seem to be in good shape. I could have picked up a real nice 80gal one the other day for $200, but I am truthfully too lazy to drive 50 miles to get it. :(

bluedragon436
08-15-2014, 10:05 PM
Yeah I've looked at CL quite a few times and found some decent deals.. I'll be checking when I get down to SC for sure if I don't get a better deal on a new one from somewhere first.. I'll be a guinea pig for the HF unit if I don't get a better one first..

WhiteDevil1311
08-17-2014, 08:22 AM
Home Depot offers that discount company wide, location doesnt matter. Ive gotten mine in 7 states already. Just show the ID card and you'll get it, if not management will give it.

I use HF tools daily at work and on the XJ. Recently purchased their 1/2" pittsburgh torque wrench,. Ive also been a customer for over 10 years and really dont pick up tools anywhere else. Majority of stock is american made.

Dredwolf
08-17-2014, 10:50 AM
Going to throw another positive vote in here for their electric 1/2" impact. At the time, probably 10+ years ago, I had a hand-me-down Dayton SpeedAire 20 gallon horizontal with 100 psi max, and it would not run any air tool I had from my various mechanic/ service tech jobs.
But I saw the HF electric for sale, and I had a coupon, and I had my "go to work" car down with the manual trans on my work bench on a Saturday afternoon. That was a lot cheaper than a new compressor, so I bought it, and it worked fine.

I have a 5hp 60 gal Husky compressor now, but I still use the electric impact for all of my tire/wheel/brake work, because a cord is so much faster and lighter than a hose...used it this AM on my daughter's explorer in fact, same chicago electric orange one I bought years ago

WhiteDevil1311
08-25-2014, 06:01 AM
Got the impact wobblers this weekend seem tostick more then the non air ones but also have different finishes

Dredwolf
08-27-2014, 01:00 PM
Got the impact wobblers this weekend seem tostick more then the non air ones but also have different finishes
Right, the impact ones have what I believe is a black oxide coating.

Used them doing the motor mounts on a friends ZJ