PDA

View Full Version : 95 cherokee will not start after a short blows fuses.

toast018
10-19-2009, 12:31 AM
Hey everyone!

I know this prob has been covered before and sorry if it has. I searched but could not find much. its late and I have to be up in 4 hours to go to work, but I cant get my Cherokee to start.
I was trying to get my Hella Fog lights to come on when I pulled on a wire to the switch I created a short that blew out the radio fuse. So I replaced it and the radio will come on. But since that incident (fog lights still not working) the jeep refuses to start. You turn the key and nothing happens. kinda like when you dont have the clutch pressed down.

I checked all the fuses under the dash and under the hood. They are all fine. I used a metal object to try and cross the solenoid on the starter with the key on and it sparked abit but never started or acted like it would. I dont know if I made a good enough connection or not though. I would try to push start it and see if I can start it that way but I dont have anyone to help push it.

I think it maybe the clutch safety switch but it was diconnected when I bought it. I looked for a neutral safety switch but I didnt know if the sticks came with one.

any help at all would be awesome. I tried to list every thing I checked and did cause i got to get some sleep before work in the morning and hope I can get there some how.

Mudderoy
10-19-2009, 01:17 AM
If you have the key on to the RUN position and you short the solenoid it should start and run. If it will not then you have a problem with the circuit that allows the engine to run.

I cannot caution you enough to make absolutely sure everything is set safely so you don't run yourself over. Neutral transmission, tires chocked etc...

toast018
10-19-2009, 05:58 AM
I absolutely make sure its in neutral,and will not go anywhere... Im accident prone enough... I def dont want my own truck to run me over... lol...

Is there a wrong and right way to short the solenoid?

toast018
10-19-2009, 06:42 AM
After working on in this morning some more (I couldnt wake anyone to help me push it) I crossed the solenoid a couple more times but It did nothing just as before. Then my screw driver slipped and hit the starter. when I crossed the solenoid again it went to turn over but only for a second. I tried again and I started to smell it getting hot. So I hit the starter a few times and BAM! it fired right up!
I guess what ever I did when I blew those fuses tracing down the fog light short must have caused it to partly activate the solenoid just enough to lock up the starter.

Mudderoy
10-19-2009, 08:40 AM
So it starts normally with the key now? I guess the started could have been jammed into the flywheel, dunno?

toast018
10-19-2009, 09:35 AM
So it starts normally with the key now? I guess the started could have been jammed into the flywheel, dunno?

Yep starts right up with the key now...

I guess when I shorted everything out messing with the Fog light issue It must have sent a surge to the solenoid and activated it, thus causing the starter to stick in the flywheel.
Im totally guessing about that btw. It kinda makes sense in a weird way...

I know now not to have the key on when tracing a short... :headshake:

well now its back to work... :smiley-chores015:

BlueXJ
10-19-2009, 10:29 AM
Read this on another site. Glad you got it started and got to work.