PDA

View Full Version : 6 meter action!

Mudderoy
07-19-2014, 06:50 AM
Well I was pretty thrilled the other day when I was jumping around to the different bands on my drive home. I heard someone calling CQ on 6 meters, 50.131 MHz.

I called him and even though his signal was in and out we had a brief conversation. He was in Ohio!

6 meters is one of those very finicky bands when you really never know when there will be any activity on it so I was pretty amazed and happy to make maybe my second long range contact on the band!

nickyg
07-20-2014, 01:50 AM
Being from Ohio myself, I can say. your lucky you got away with A quick conversation. Us Buckeyes can talk on and on for hours about nothing. even if no-one's there. I think it's because it's closer to the ozone hole.

Mudderoy
07-20-2014, 01:54 AM
Being from Ohio myself, I can say. your lucky you got away with A quick conversation. Us Buckeyes can talk on and on for hours about nothing. even if no-one's there. I think it's because it's closer to the ozone hole.

He was doing WAS (Worked All States) on 6 meter, I believe. He didn't want to talk, just get the call sign and move on to someone else. I'm sure he had Texas already. Big state lots of amateur radio operators.

6 meters, if memory serves correctly, is also good for meteor scatter. The meteors coming into the atmosphere causes ionization and radio signal reflection. So you can hear people for a second. :D

prerunner1982
09-30-2014, 12:53 PM
So you can hear people for a second. :D

better talk quick..

denverd1
09-30-2014, 01:58 PM
thats pretty cool!

Mudderoy
09-30-2014, 02:15 PM
better talk quick..

High speed Morse code, or packet...