PDA

View Full Version : O2 sensor help

TeXJ
10-18-2009, 02:14 PM
Ive replaced my 02 sensor like a 5 times. The code keeps coming up bank 1 sensor 1, which is the sensor right before the cat. Ok, well i replace it, and it works for a moment then light comes on again. So thinking that i got a bad O2, i replace it again, repeat 4Xs...

So i got fed up and took it to a shop, they did the same thing, he said bring it back and we'll look into it. I dont have time or an extra vehicle to leave it with him,...

so what would cause an O2 sensor to keep going out? Now, i think the jeep is running rich, would that make the O2 sensor crap out? Now, why would it run rich?

97, aw4, 4.0. 170k miles

The symptoms it has are: only when taking off if you mash the gas it will hesitate, then go, like it's not getting fuel.

TXstiGUY
10-18-2009, 02:16 PM
Try using anti-fowlers and maybe a hotter plug. You may a bad injector

TeXJ
10-18-2009, 02:33 PM
is there a way to test for a bad injector?

anti-fowlers, and what temp plug?

thanks

TXstiGUY
10-18-2009, 02:37 PM
1. Using the correct Fuel Line Pressure Test Adapter connect the fuel pressure gauge to the test port on the fuel rail. If the fuel rail does not have a test port, the fuel pressure gauge gets teed in between the fuel filter and fuel rail.
2. Start engine and bring to normal operating temperature.
3. Observe fuel pressure test. Normal operating pressure should be about 49.2 psi ±5 psi for most vehicles. Check the service manual for you vehicle for the proper pressure.
4. Shut engine OFF.
5. Pressure should not fall below 0 psi for five minutes.
6. If pressure falls below 30 psi, it must be determined if a fuel injector, the supply check valve within the fuel pump module, the fuel pressure regulator, or a fuel line is leaking.
7. Again, start engine and bring to normal operating temperature.
8. Shut engine OFF.
9. Testing for fuel injector or fuel rail leakage: Clamp off the return line. If pressure falls below 30 psi, a fuel injector or the fuel rail is leaking. If pressure holds, it is a bad fuel pump check valve.

TeXJ
10-18-2009, 02:39 PM
cool thanks!!!

TXstiGUY
10-18-2009, 02:41 PM
you can get the antifowler at autozone there for sparkplugs but the 18mil will fit the 02 sensor I belive we use to do this on our cars that were running catless.

4.3LXJ
10-18-2009, 04:10 PM
I like to suggest that the problem is not with the sensor, but that the sensor is reporting a rich fuel mixture. This can be caused by too much fuel pressure or fouled injectors. You can have the rebuilt or better yet replace them with Mustang injectors and gain some HP and milage

http://www.fiveomotorsport.com/Injector_SetsJEEP.asp

BlueXJ
10-18-2009, 04:56 PM
Are you disconnecting the battery and touching the two disconnected cable together to clear the code from the computer. ( Another reason to love Renix)

MrJCRod
10-18-2009, 05:13 PM
Ive replaced my 02 sensor like a 5 times. The code keeps coming up bank 1 sensor 1, which is the sensor right before the cat. Ok, well i replace it, and it works for a moment then light comes on again. So thinking that i got a bad O2, i replace it again, repeat 4Xs...

So i got fed up and took it to a shop, they did the same thing, he said bring it back and we'll look into it. I dont have time or an extra vehicle to leave it with him,...

so what would cause an O2 sensor to keep going out? Now, i think the jeep is running rich, would that make the O2 sensor crap out? Now, why would it run rich?

97, aw4, 4.0. 170k miles

The symptoms it has are: only when taking off if you mash the gas it will hesitate, then go, like it's not getting fuel.

To start off, what is the actual code? P0171? Codes are great in that they point you in the right direction but then there is a little bit extra that you have to do after you pull the code... The only time I know for sure that it is the O2 sensor is when I get a code for the heater circuit in that sensor... Now, with that said, if you can get the exact code and what it actually reads we may be able to help... Bank 1 Sensor 1 is the upstream sensor but is it lean? Rich? No activity? Need more info...

TeXJ
10-18-2009, 05:45 PM
I cant remember the code :( the code reader my old man has just tells you the code. I'll have to look at it again when i go back to my parents place. The reason i know it said it was running rich is that the mechanic's reader said that it was running rich.

pre 91 had the renix system. I just cleared the codes with the code reader.

BlueXJ
10-18-2009, 06:48 PM
Try my method of clearing the code and see if it makes a difference. 30 seconds of the cables together is all it takes.

cheap jeep
10-19-2009, 09:23 AM
On Chevy's and Fords,I have had to replace the fuel pressure regulators. The diaphram inside goes bad and then they draw gas right into the intake manifold. To check pull the vacuum line off at the manifold, if its wet the regulator is leaking.