PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from Arizona

chayes
04-15-2009, 03:15 PM
Hey all my name is Craig and I am new to this site.. Looks like a great place for some info on our XJ's and to meet people with the same interest across the US. I am a proud owner of a 1986 XJ that is a great rig for me and what I want to do with it. I like to run trails rated no higher then 3.0 since I drive my rig daily and need to make sure nothing is broken when I am done with a run. I am adding new things as money is available but at the sametime not really sure of what to do to make it better and safer.. I know its always good to strengthen the body and all and add all the uncarriage protection so those are first on the list. Weather here in AZ is great at this time and the desert is beautiful with all the new flowers..The colors man the colors. I look forward to meeting some great people here cause I know XJ owners rock the world. Until then have a great rest of the week and talk with you soon :driving:

Mudderoy
04-15-2009, 03:18 PM
Hey thanks for joining up. If you have any pictures of the rig I know I'd love to see them, and I'm sure everyone else would also.

Sounds like you'll be a good resource for answers here! :thumbsup:

chayes
04-15-2009, 03:25 PM
Thanks mudderoy for the welcome.. Site looks great, I always love to see things just for the XJ's. Here in AZ most everyone have the Rubis and wranglers so the XJ's are a dying breed. O well they just don't know what they are missing out on. Anyways I will help when needed so let me know and also where do we get those cool decals? Well talk with you soon and thanks again

Melissa
04-15-2009, 03:34 PM
Welcome From Oregon!

Mudderoy
04-15-2009, 03:43 PM
Thanks mudderoy for the welcome.. Site looks great, I always love to see things just for the XJ's. Here in AZ most everyone have the Rubis and wranglers so the XJ's are a dying breed. O well they just don't know what they are missing out on. Anyways I will help when needed so let me know and also where do we get those cool decals? Well talk with you soon and thanks again

Hey don't think you can't ask questions too! :rotfl2:

The answer to your sticker question is easy... http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=160

Just fill out the form. I'm going to be sending a batch out this Saturday.

chayes
04-15-2009, 03:59 PM
Cool I submitted my info and hope I am one of three to receive 2 stickers one for each side. I know that is what every wants. I guess beggers can't be choosers. I will be happy with whatever I receive. XJ loves decals. Thanks Melissa for the greeting how is the wheelin in Oregon? Can only imagine all the forrest roads you can run there.

Melissa
04-15-2009, 04:21 PM
Thanks Melissa for the greeting how is the wheelin in Oregon? Can only imagine all the forrest roads you can run there.

In Heppner where I live it is 90% back country roads. Last summer I took a drive in June and 3 hours later I was stuck in a snow drift 4 feet tall :rotfl2:

I really have not been up the timber roads yet, but once I finally get my lift and better equipped I will tackle the timber ;)

(shhh, don't tell anyone but I am kind of a weeny when it comes to off roading, I don't want to ding my Jeep anymore than I already have:scared0016:)

chayes
04-15-2009, 04:46 PM
I totally understand, you still want it to look good but at the same time want to use it for what it is made for. Having fun. I believe that you can go off road and have as much fun if not more just cruising the back country then having to climb every obstacle you come across. Just me thou. I also want to go a little higher then the 3 inches I all ready run. Your area sounds like fun

xjjeepthing
04-15-2009, 08:29 PM
Welcome from IN

DETOURS
04-15-2009, 08:39 PM
Greetings from KY.

I got an ol friend in Flagstaff, anywhere near?

chayes
04-16-2009, 09:18 AM
Greetings from KY.

I got an ol friend in Flagstaff, anywhere near?

I am about 3-4 hours south of Flag. Some good places to trail up there. I bet you have some awesome areas in KY to run. Have a nice weekend

DETOURS
04-16-2009, 07:02 PM
100 yards left of my driveway, 100 yards right of my driveway.....both trails get you wheeling on the Black Diamond mountains......a buddy 14 minutes down the road.....has 1200 acres mountainside........I'll just shut up rather than continuing to complain....:popcorn:

BlueXJ
04-17-2009, 12:57 AM
Hi ther from Texas. I worked up there near you then in Payson. Was there for about 6 months. Great trails all around the rim. Stayed in town but rode the trails when not working.

chayes
04-17-2009, 09:35 AM
Payson is just another awesome place to wheel and camp.. 1.5 hours out of town and its like stepping into another world. Almost has that small town feel to it. I am sure Texas has some good stuff out there. But I heard it is mostly flat areas. Am I wrong?

Mudderoy
04-17-2009, 09:41 AM
Payson is just another awesome place to wheel and camp.. 1.5 hours out of town and its like stepping into another world. Almost has that small town feel to it. I am sure Texas has some good stuff out there. But I heard it is mostly flat areas. Am I wrong?

Central (Just West of Central) Texas and out West are not flat. Nothing like a mountain, but 700 to 1500 feet I guess. Beautiful out there. We drove out there last summer around Bandera. There were so many places I wanted to go in the Jeep, but EVERYTHING was fenced!!!

I was very discouraged.

chayes
04-17-2009, 09:46 AM
They are trying to do that here with fencing off places and having the leo's guarding entrance points to some trails..Our OHV program here is trying to work things out but as you may know it takes some time for things to get pushed thru for our benefit. I am glad to hear that Texas is not flat after all. I knew there had to be places to wheel and enjoy what a Jeep is made for.

Mudderoy
04-17-2009, 09:56 AM
They are trying to do that here with fencing off places and having the leo's guarding entrance points to some trails..Our OHV program here is trying to work things out but as you may know it takes some time for things to get pushed thru for our benefit. I am glad to hear that Texas is not flat after all. I knew there had to be places to wheel and enjoy what a Jeep is made for.

I built my Jeep up for evacuation purposes. My wife hates it but I call it our "Hurricane Escape Vehicle" (HEV). It scares here when I say that.

In the Houston area the drive home from work could involve areas of water that is 1 to 2 feet deep, and deeper under some of the overpasses. So having a Jeep that is 2 feet from the ground to the bottom of the rocker panel just means I'll get home while those other people are pulled up into the gas stations and medians.

Of course with the rain comes mud. I might have to go around something and that means a little off roading and mud. The mud here is a slick gumbo, clay.

I've got the winch bumper, now I just have to collect some aluminum cans so I can get the winch, and I'll be pretty much set.

So when you say "What a Jeep was intended for..." Well mine is just a daily driver, but it can be off road at any given instant.

BlueXJ
04-17-2009, 11:42 AM

Well West Tx has some mountains and we have the beautiful Hill Country. I used to love to wander the trails around Utopia, Tx. Great scenery there and some awesome people.