PDA

View Full Version : Running 3 monitors or not?

Joliet Johnny
05-30-2014, 01:56 AM
I found a 42' LCD TV in the garbage and for some reason it works and has HDMI/VGA/DVI plugs on it. I currently run a 24' Toshiba TV and and older square 17' Samsung computer monitor. Im going to put the 17' in the garage wall mounted for the garage computer and was thinking about sending the 24' off to the guest bedroom.

Obviously 2 more 42' screens would look awesome but what is the minimum size you'd run with a 42' in the center? Or as the retro gamer I am should I forget the 3rd monitor and find a 19-36' tube TV(needed to play Duck Hunt and Hogan's Alley)

Mudderoy
05-30-2014, 05:58 AM
I found a 42' LCD TV in the garbage and for some reason it works and has HDMI/VGA/DVI plugs on it. I currently run a 24' Toshiba TV and and older square 17' Samsung computer monitor. Im going to put the 17' in the garage wall mounted for the garage computer and was thinking about sending the 24' off to the guest bedroom.

Obviously 2 more 42' screens would look awesome but what is the minimum size you'd run with a 42' in the center? Or as the retro gamer I am should I forget the 3rd monitor and find a 19-36' tube TV(needed to play Duck Hunt and Hogan's Alley)

The problem with a large monitor is the DPI. If your 42" TV is 1080 and the 24" is 1080 the little dots that make up the picture will be further apart and the 42 will appear not as clear as the 24".

To keep that same clarity of the 24" you'd need almost double the dots per inch (DPI), so not a 1080 but a 2160, or instead of 76 dpi 152 dpi. I can't remember what the standard dpi is for monitors, but you get the idea.

So that makes 42" great for moving images but not so great for static images like a computer screen.

If you want sharp, go smaller and more of them.

nickyg
05-30-2014, 08:10 AM
Mount one of those 42 inchers in the bathroom. You'll be the envy of every guy here.

Joliet Johnny
05-30-2014, 03:26 PM
Mount one of those 42 inchers in the bathroom. You'll be the envy of every guy here.

Great minds think alike wife already said no to a bathroom TV.