PDA

View Full Version : My new Axle for my front end... Got it for free LMAO

AJ99
10-14-2009, 09:12 PM
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c171/AJ99/DSCF4329.jpg

Also we just had a storm and figured i would show you guys what it looks like from my back yard...

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c171/AJ99/DSCF4325.jpg

DETOURS
10-15-2009, 07:07 PM
Is that a LP30 with vaccume disconnect and a reversed truss??

2000XJ
10-15-2009, 08:48 PM
Not going to lie, I'm not diggin the reverse truss on that, kills the ground clearance.

AJ99
10-16-2009, 02:07 AM
Its a high pinon 30 vacu disco. I dont really care for the truss the way it is but my other stock one was shaped like ~ so i needed to swap it out. I am gonna run this one until i build another axle.

Question about the Vac diso 30s... If i put an aussie locker in it and make it where i can manually engage or disengage the the vac disco would that work basically where i would still have my turning radias with it disconnected? Or is it just a bad idea to lock the disco type all together? I am not sure if the sleeve will hold up to it being locked.

Mudderoy
10-16-2009, 02:43 AM
Well if it turns out to be a keeper, just cut the truss off. Maybe put one on top of the axle. I wish Spanky was closer, I'd have him working on mine all the time. Eventually it would weigh as much as a tank.

DETOURS
10-16-2009, 07:35 AM
Loose the vaccum and get the cable engagement replacement.

But.....

Only do this if you plan on keeping this type of axle, it's the weakest of the 30's with that collar connection, you should be able to find a Hp30 from a newer XJ without much issue.

Meanwhile, strip your old axle of it's calipers/rotors/unit hubs/collar and shafts, put them on the shelf for spares.

Mudderoy
10-16-2009, 09:25 AM

But.....

Only do this if you plan on keeping this type of axle, it's the weakest of the 30's with that collar connection, you should be able to find a Hp30 from a newer XJ without much issue.

Meanwhile, strip your old axle of it's calipers/rotors/unit hubs/collar and shafts, put them on the shelf for spares.

Cool, I did not know that. I was thinking before that a vacuum disconnect with a manual cable was better than what I had. I win again. :smiley-laughing021:

alwaysxj
10-16-2009, 10:31 AM

But.....

i second that. this is what is just did to my 88 i put a hp d30 out of a 2000 with upgraded shafts and works great. juat make sure if you do this plug the lines to the t-case or the jeep does not want to run very good for some resone:driving:

muddeprived
10-16-2009, 09:14 PM
Wow...stock steering at it's limit.

Since it's trussed up, why not launch it and get us some good flying pictures. It should be able to handle it.........but can YOU? :D

BlueXJ
10-17-2009, 08:51 AM
Dump the two piece passenger side axle and replace it with a one piece and just gut the disco and it will be much more user friendly.

AJ99
10-21-2009, 02:09 AM
Dump the two piece passenger side axle and replace it with a one piece and just gut the disco and it will be much more user friendly.

I think i will do just that i have a solid one out back so ya i will be doing that in the near future.

And as for the launching photos i just dont have any yet lol ill try to see if the wife will go take pics of me launching off this little jump in the field behind our house tomorrow, if we have time. we are planning for her sisters wedding/rehearsal dinner this week.

AJ99
10-25-2009, 06:30 PM
Wow...stock steering at it's limit.

Since it's trussed up, why not launch it and get us some good flying pictures. It should be able to handle it.........but can YOU? :D

Ok well here you go then LMAO
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c171/AJ99/DSCF4684.jpg

That is the only good pic my buddy was able to get before my shock ripped out LMAO. The nut stayed on the top of the shock but ripped through the washer above the top rubber bushing.

muddeprived
10-25-2009, 07:34 PM
Ok well here you go then LMAO
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c171/AJ99/DSCF4684.jpg

That is the only good pic my buddy was able to get before my shock ripped out LMAO. The nut stayed on the top of the shock but ripped through the washer above the top rubber bushing.

I see limiting straps coming via big brown truck!

NICE PIX!!

AJ99
10-25-2009, 10:52 PM
ya i need them bad lol...

AJ99
10-25-2009, 11:05 PM
How would i go about finding what size i need?

TXstiGUY
10-25-2009, 11:46 PM
Thats an awsome pic. Gets my vote for picture of the month. :driving::thumbsup:

AJ99
10-26-2009, 12:31 AM
Thats an awsome pic. Gets my vote for picture of the month. :driving::thumbsup:

Thanks it was fun to do LMAO

AJ99
10-30-2009, 10:42 PM
[IMG]http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c171/AJ99/th_DSCF4691.jpg[/IMG"]Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket

AJ99
09-07-2012, 03:06 PM
Oh just an update on this.. I am still running this axle, i did swap in a solid shaft and new seal. I have jumped with this axle numerious times and no issues at all. I am very pleased with it.

I have ripped off shock mounts and control arm mounts on it and had to reinforce them but that would have happened with a non disco housing as well.

07Negative
09-07-2012, 04:07 PM
Hey I'm not too horribly far from you. I'm up in Oakland Bay Area. I've been working on a HP Dana 30 for my jeep. And when I yank out the HP Dana 30 that's under my 99' it'll need a new home.
If your interested....... It'll be a while as it's going to take me a while to get all the coinage to pay for the new build that I'm doing.

prcjeep
09-07-2012, 05:00 PM
Hey, it its still working fine, the free axle has paid off

AJ99
09-07-2012, 05:25 PM
I may be interested in the shafts if they are the bigger u joint but not the housing. I like my housing. I have totaled out my old jeep with this axle by going through a brick wall, jumped the jeep over 5 ft hi, crawled up stuff i shouldnt of been able to, and whacked it hard on boulders and it still isnt even slightly bent because of my truss lol... going on 3 yrs lol