PDA

View Full Version : Computer Upgrade

Mudderoy
05-24-2014, 06:05 AM
I think most of you know about the XJ TALK SHOW! a podcast about Jeeps. Josh (nw99xj) and I do this weekly podcast. It's both an audio and an audio/video podcast! We LIVE broadcast on YouTube LIVE events every Thursday at 10PM Central.

Look hang with me, I'm building my case. :D

Doing the audio podcast is pretty easy. Just some audio equipment and a digital audio recorder. I still have to edit the audio after it's recorded.

My poor little computer is old. I've upgraded both servers (one of which you're using right now) maybe a year or more ago. One has an AMD 6 core and the other has an AMD 8 core. My "desktop" which is really a full tower case, is a poor little AMD 4 core with 8GB of memory.

I recently have had to start closing programs so I can process audio. Processing audio takes about 30 minutes and the majority of that is waiting for the processes to complete.

Also I do the occasional video editing, and I long ago learned everything has to be closed with the exception of the video editing software during rendering.

Interestingly it isn't really using a bunch of CPU, it's memory.

So using DDR2 memory I'm kind of stuck. I could remove my 4 sticks of 8GB total memory and get 16GB total, that would help I'm sure. But DDR2 memory is more expensive than the faster 1866.

I'll be honest I've been eyeballing the AMD FX-9590 processor for quite a while, but I have this $100 rule when it comes to computer parts. At $300+ for the processor, even though it's a 5.0Ghz processor, it just hurts me...

Well tonight I was processing episode 130 promo and I just said "The HELL with it!"

It literally took me a couple of hours to select all the components for my new computer build, the processor was easy, but then I had to select the parts to go around it.

The AMD FX-9590 is a 220 watt processor. 8 cores, and like I mentioned 5.0Ghz. It's a 4.7Ghz that can turbo to 5.0Ghz as needed. Wow! Newegg has a promo through the 28th, $50 off, hello $280 processor!

As you can well imagine a 5.0Ghz 220 watt processor gets hot, I mean REALLY hot! So much so that you need a liquid cooler. This was once the realm of the extreme over clockers, but now it's turned into the norm, well at least for this processor.

So after a little bit of research I selected the Corsair H110 water cooled system. This thing has a radiator, not too much smaller than the one on our XJ's! lol

That means a case that can handle this large radiator and the two 140mm fans.

I selected the Thermlake V71 case. I currently have 4 1 TB drives and 1 3 TB drive. The 3 TB drive is actually hanging out the back of the system using the eSATA connector on the back of my current system.

The Thermolake V71 case has a TON of drive bays and the amount of fans on this full tower comes in a close second to the drive bays!

It has space in the top of the case for the radiator and the fans!

Now I have a 750 watt power supply in my current PC but I thought it might be a good time to step up, not so much the power but the efficiency. I purchased a 90% efficient

Now memory. I certainly want more than 8GB. No matter how fast your processor is if you don't have enough space to "work" in things are going to slow down as the processor moves things out of memory, to disk, and back to memory.

So I knew 16GB sounded good, but 32GB sounded better! To be honest 64GB sounds best, but that's due to my experience with systems with 512GB and 1TB of memory! HP was paying for that though. :D

The limit on this mother board the ASUS SAWTOOTH 990FX mother board is 32GB so that's what I got!

4 8GB sticks of matched memory by G.SKILL. Damn $300, but still that's 32GB of memory! Four times more than I have right now.

Lastly, I'm sure I'm leaving something out, but... how can I make the computer faster? Well disk is slow. It doesn't matter which one you get, it's slow. No it's damned slow compared to the CPU and memory. How can you make it faster? Do away with the rotational mass, and the head that has to move along the surface searching for data! Yes, SSD. Basically that's just another HUNK of memory that pretends to be a hard drive. Excepts it pretends much MUCH faster than it's sad old technology moving parts brother can.

How much faster? One guy wrote, my computer spends more time in post than it takes to boot Windows 7. Post, you know that stuff that comes up on your screen before the Windows logo? Yeah, that fast. :D

I'll let you know how fast it is when I get all this stuff and piece it together.

I'll predict that in the next 5 years, mechanical hard drives will look like VCR's to us, but I digress...

So for those of you who want more details I have included the links to the bits that I purchased.

So basically what I have purchased here is a complete computer! Minus one thing, the video card!

My oldest daughter will get my current system. It's a great system for college and even games, it will just need a good video card for the games. I have a Nvidia TI-560 in it now, that I will be moving to my new computer.

Why not put in a new high speed video card, or maybe two? It's money I just don't want to spend and frankly this video card handles all the games that I play just fine. Actually I did purchase a second TI-560 off of ebay a few months back but found out that my Gigabyte motherboard didn't support SLI, I was shocked. I gave the card to my younger daughter, but she still hasn't installed it yet. Hmmmm I might steal that back from here and get her another one, a newer one. Dual Nvidia TI-560 video cards sounds interesting :D

So I'll be sporting a liquid cooled 5.0Ghz 8 core processor 32GB of memory and 6.25 TB of disk space.

So the total price is about $1,400.

You could throw in a video card for less than $200 and a 23" LED wide screen monitor for another $180. A very powerful system for under $2,000!

Now if you are more a gamer than anything else, consider the Intel processor. It out performs the AMD hands down. I haven't had an Intel processor in my desktop for probably 20 years. I just don't like the price performance ratio. Besides I'm more concerned about video rendering and audio processing and the more and faster cores will beat, or at least match, Intel every day of the week.

Shopping.
I have learned over the years that there is really two sources for the best prices on computer stuff. Newegg and Amazon.

I'll shop on Newegg then price compare on Amazon. If there is shipping charge on Newegg and Amazon is the same price but free two day shipping (Prime members only) I'll get it from Amazon.

That's why you'll notice the list below has both Newegg and Amazon links listed.

I'll add the SSD drive is a 2.5" drive. Perfect for a laptop, no so much for a desktop, without an adapter. I purchased a 2x 2.5" to 3.5" bay adapter, so if I select to get another SSD in the future I'll have a place to install it.

http://www.thermaltake.com/db/products/case/coreV71/main.jpg

http://www.thermaltake.com/db/products/case/coreV71/pic5.jpg

Processor
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113347
Liquid Cooler
Amazon.com: Corsair Hydro Series H110 280 mm High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler: Computers & Accessories@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41Wv6Xq3MML.@@AMEPARAM@@41Wv6Xq3MML
Memory
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231561
Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131877
Power Supply
Amazon.com: XFX PRO 850W Black Edition Single Rail Power Supply with Full Modular Cables ATX 850 Energy Star Certified Power Supply, P1850BBEFX: Computers & Accessories@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/410wvKvXcmL.@@AMEPARAM@@410wvKvXcmL
SSD
Amazon.com: Samsung Electronics 840 Pro Series 2.5-Inch 256 GB SATA 6GB/s Solid State Drive MZ-7PD256BW: Computers & Accessories@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41yhL6UiSOL.@@AMEPARAM@@41yhL6UiSOL

4.3LXJ
05-24-2014, 09:39 AM
Wow Tony, you almost lost me there. That is a lot of computer there. Hope it is all compatible and no bugs

bluedragon436
05-28-2014, 01:31 PM
Looks like an awesome build for sure.. I was going to be building a new computer setup to run as a Hackintosh till I found the good deal on my older used Mac Pro I run now... I have def been enjoying the 8 core and the 20GB of memory it runs, especially compared to my dual core Windows computer I was running before.. So I know you'll def enjoy it once it is done, as you fully utilize your computer components with the editing you do..

slipinkramer
05-28-2014, 02:08 PM
I think it needs a lift and lockers...

abebehrmann
05-28-2014, 02:20 PM
Pretty cool. You must really look at a lot of nekkid lady videos to need that much computer!

slipinkramer
05-28-2014, 02:24 PM
Pretty cool. You must really look at a lot of nekkid lady videos to need that much computer!

With that kind of technical horsepower, he can look at moving pictures...

nickyg
05-28-2014, 02:30 PM
Yea but Can you play candy crush with all that? and does it come with a cup holder?
my current system has a cup holder it's labeled DVD drive.

Mudderoy
05-31-2014, 09:31 AM

4.3LXJ
05-31-2014, 09:33 AM
That thing is big Tony. Gives real meaning to the term "black box"

bluedragon436
05-31-2014, 11:23 PM
Looks good Tony.. I want to build myself a nice full tower one day.. Wish I still had an old school military tower, that thing was beastly... I would have had to have figured out how to upgrade the power supply setup and the power switch, but would be awesome to see build into something beastly like you've done there..

Mudderoy
06-01-2014, 06:20 AM
That thing is big Tony. Gives real meaning to the term "black box"

Yeah it's hard to "see" how big it is on your computer screen. I like it though. Oh I need to get a picture of the front fans. I think it can double as an e-fan for the XJ! :D

Mudderoy
06-01-2014, 08:28 AM

Mudderoy
06-03-2014, 03:44 AM
I'm still installing software. You just don't know how much crap you have on your computer until you reload the operating system and start from scratch!

I'd like to report that during the most recent editing session of the XJ TALK SHOW! that the 32GB of memory worked out well. I was able to process the audio (2GB in size) in about 4 minutes per effect. I usually do 2 effects.

So maybe 20 minutes to process the show? From transferring the files from the audio recorder to writing the processed file to disk.

I remember when I first started doing the show it took a good hour to process!

Now the next step is to get everything set up and verified for the next show broadcast! :patriot:

bluedragon436
06-04-2014, 01:17 AM
Yeah I know I hate it anytime I have to replace or rebuild a computer, or the usual annual Windows refresh (re-install)!!