PDA

View Full Version : CB in '99 XJ

jlobaugh
05-16-2014, 07:50 PM
I decided to mount my Amazon special Midland CB in the XJ. I went with the Firestik mount and a 3' Firestik top-loaded whip.

Since I already installed my ham radio, mounting options were even more limited than before I put it in. The glove box seemed like the best option. When I save up some toy money, I plan on getting a Cobra 75 compact unit.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/wZ8Z5Ehi_Oot_aHgdnQLbVnSqjYL2Z7h0zxZ6GFDa3c=w727-h545-no

The antenna mount seems rather stout and looks nice to boot. I got the SWR to a respectable 1.2:1 on ch 20 and it seems to really outperform my previous antenna, a Lil' Wil.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-UcUqVHX5jEc/U3atyet5mZI/AAAAAAAAGTw/9JQ6TzAfQeg/w409-h545-no/IMG_5527.JPG

I used a uni-bit to drill the hole for the coax and routed it to the front hidden under the trim. I'm pleased with my handywork.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/aU3DEqcWZycaLYUpr4ZdPz1eLwXyULdbvG_gUrti6jA=w930-h545-no

cantab27
05-16-2014, 08:09 PM
nice job .........

Brasscatz
05-16-2014, 08:41 PM
very clean install

oderdene
05-17-2014, 05:36 AM
well done,

DEAD EYE
12-17-2014, 12:48 PM
I love the design of the firestik stud connector just wish they would stop using that crappy rg58 and start using mini 8 cable

downsy
12-17-2014, 03:25 PM
Nice install. :beer:

I wouldn't worry about spending any more money on a "fancier" CB unit none of the expensive ones really offer any big advantage over the cheaper units. It just a CB after all and pushes the same power whether it costs 200 dollars or 40.

prerunner1982
12-17-2014, 03:36 PM
Nice install. :beer:

I wouldn't worry about spending any more money on a "fancier" CB unit none of the expensive ones really offer any big advantage over the cheaper units. It just a CB after all and pushes the same power whether it costs 200 dollars or 40.

EXACTLY! and if it gets messed up while offroading you are out $40....

and besides the antenna is more important for good communication.

bluedragon436
12-17-2014, 04:47 PM
That looks like a good place to install the CB as any... I had mine installed where you put your Ham... Granted mine was a bit larger CB... Going to pick up the Cobra 75 for my 97.. was just stuck on the ant... but might have to look into that setup you are running... I had the same mount on my 98 with a 4" Firestick, just never managed to get it tuned correctly... but that might have had to do with the excessive length of COAX

prerunner1982
12-17-2014, 04:54 PM
but that might have had to do with the excessive length of COAX

Negative.

You can "Tune" the SWR by changing the length of the coax but you are just tricking the SWR meter, the antenna isn't any more efficient as the SWR at antenna didnt change.

You tune an antenna by changing it's length, when you get a reading above 1:1 on the SWR meter some energy is being sent back down the coax and it is basically trying to radiate signal. When you change the length of the coax you are tuning the coax as an antenna. You need to tune the antenna to lower the SWR not tune the coax.

Did I lose you there? :D

bluedragon436
12-17-2014, 05:19 PM
No that makes sense... I was thinking it might have been partially either the excessive length or with that length the chances of any of it being damaged.. the damages to the coax, I know could cause issues... I picked up signals just fine and got messages amazingly clear... just very rarely ever was able to transmit out and get a reply...

prerunner1982
12-17-2014, 05:32 PM
Excessively long runs of coax can cause signal loss though, but not really an issue in a vehicle.

Damaged coax can certainly cause issues though.

bluedragon436
12-17-2014, 05:36 PM
Excessively long runs of coax can cause signal loss though, but not really an issue in a vehicle.

Damaged coax can certainly cause issues though.

Either way it all went with the 98... so starting from scratch this time around.. so hopefully won't be an issue.. debating about doing another hard mount or doing a mag mount.. but will see what I can find deal wise.. Def want to put something in there.. been thinking about picking up either the Cobra 75 or another similar all in one unit, so I can move it over to my Ram when I take it on the road w/ a mag mount.. that way I can talk to or listen to the truckers (the few that are still using CB's that is) when I make trips with it...

DEAD EYE
12-17-2014, 09:22 PM
One of the biggest things you can screw up your antenna and your match is not having your coax around properly get it near too many power leads you going to end up screwing up your SWRs. But the other thing is also running the wrong kind of cable that rg58 is garbage you need run Mini 8 coax it'll run a lot better

prerunner1982
12-18-2014, 09:10 AM
One of the biggest things you can screw up your antenna and your match is not having your coax around properly get it near too many power leads you going to end up screwing up your SWRs. But the other thing is also running the wrong kind of cable that rg58 is garbage you need run Mini 8 coax it'll run a lot better

in a long run perhaps but in a short vehicular type run the difference in loss in negligible.

From the charts I have seen the difference in loss is about .5db - .8db at 100ft.
What would the loss be at 18' (since that it was is normally used)? Figure 20' is 20% of 100' so 20% of .8db is .16db.

With only 4 watts in the loss is all of about .25watts?

Not saying it's isn't a better cable, but for a short run on a weekend/monthly user for trails comms it's not likely to be worth the time/cost.

Would make routing the cable a bit easier though.

xjzaped
12-21-2014, 03:12 PM
in a long run perhaps but in a short vehicular type run the difference in loss in negligible.

From the charts I have seen the difference in loss is about .5db - .8db at 100ft.
What would the loss be at 18' (since that it was is normally used)? Figure 20' is 20% of 100' so 20% of .8db is .16db.

With only 4 watts in the loss is all of about .25watts?

Not saying it's isn't a better cable, but for a short run on a weekend/monthly user for trails comms it's not likely to be worth the time/cost.

Would make routing the cable a bit easier though.

Next to no difference between 58 and 8X for QRP. Even the loss on the receive side is minimal considering we're talking about HF.

If 58 was garbage…it wouldn't be the standard for all public safety mobile installs.

DEAD EYE
12-21-2014, 05:18 PM
The difference between 58 and mini 8 is the center wire. On the 58 it is single strand sort of what you see on your cable wire. It is prone to breaking in the line. Mini 8 is stranded wire in the center. Less prone to breaking easy. Not sure why they would use it in public safety vehicles other than the cost.

xjzaped
12-21-2014, 09:40 PM
The difference between 58 and mini 8 is the center wire. On the 58 it is single strand sort of what you see on your cable wire. It is prone to breaking in the line. Mini 8 is stranded wire in the center. Less prone to breaking easy. Not sure why they would use it in public safety vehicles other than the cost.
Not true. There are different types of 58 (just like there are different types of. RG-58A/U is stranded.

There are also different levels of quality in coax. Some are full copper. Some are copper conductors with aluminum braids. Some are copper clad aluminum.