PDA

View Full Version : MURS Radio

prerunner1982
05-16-2014, 12:56 PM
Multi-Use Radio Service (MURS) radios operate in the VHF range specifically 151-154Mhz. They are not nearly as common as the FRS/GMRS radios and seemingly not as cheap either. Walmart offers a couple with a "walkie talkie" running about $189.00 and a base station running about $172. Others can be found online/ebay.

MURS is limited to 2 watts, but can have an external antenna.
License is not required to operate a MURS radio.
Can be used for Peronsal or Business purposes.
Radios have to be Part 95 accepted.

No repeaters.
Communication distance - less than a couple miles handheld to handheld, possibly upto 10 with an external/elevated antenna.

http://www.fcc.gov/encyclopedia/multi-use-radio-service-murs-0
Multi-Use Radio Service - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A ham radio would be a much better option compared to MURS in my opinion. Looking at radio prices you can get ham radios for cheaper with more power and more distance. Yes there is a test, but the tech test isn't all that hard with a little studying.

Mudderoy
05-16-2014, 11:22 PM
Loving the radio services information. I had no idea about this service.

davehzrd
06-08-2014, 01:36 AM
i was thinking of getting a few cheap 2m rigs, setting them up to follow all of the MURS rules, and throwing them to my friends whenever we're caravanning. less interference than GMRS, and probably better range. but they'd still be smaller than bulky old CB handhelds, and a lot less expensive than newer CB handhelds. i'm the only licensed ham out of my friend group, so i have to rely on unlicensed freqs.

i do have one handheld that's supposedly part 95 compliant, but as far as i can tell, it lets me use 5 watts across any 2m or 70cm channel. for amateur channels, that's completely kosher, but i think that's not gonna fly for MURS.

Mudderoy
06-08-2014, 06:39 AM
i was thinking of getting a few cheap 2m rigs, setting them up to follow all of the MURS rules, and throwing them to my friends whenever we're caravanning. less interference than GMRS, and probably better range. but they'd still be smaller than bulky old CB handhelds, and a lot less expensive than newer CB handhelds. i'm the only licensed ham out of my friend group, so i have to rely on unlicensed freqs.

i do have one handheld that's supposedly part 95 compliant, but as far as i can tell, it lets me use 5 watts across any 2m or 70cm channel. for amateur channels, that's completely kosher, but i think that's not gonna fly for MURS.

I don't think you can legally use a 2m or 70cm rig for MURS. Maybe prerunner will weigh in but I found this...

Operating a Multi-Use Radio Service (MURS) Device
You can operate a MURS device in any place where the FCC regulates radio communications. A MURS device must be certified by the FCC. A certified MURS device has an identifying label placed on it by the manufacturer.

None of the MURS channels are assigned for the exclusive use of any system. You must cooperate in the selection and use of the channels in order to make the most effective use of them and to reduce the possibility of interference.

No MURS unit, under any condition of modulation, shall exceed 2 Watts transmitter power output.

The usual range of communications between MURS devices is less than a few miles; connecting the unit to an external antenna can extend the range to ten miles or more. You cannot make telephone calls with a MURS device.

prerunner1982
06-08-2014, 10:15 AM

What radio is it? I would suspect that it is probably part 90 compliant, such as the Baofeng UV 5r. This is typical of some amateur radios.

It would not be legal to use an amateur radio on the MURS channels (or FRS/GMRS) for that matter. However, if you keep the power down and behave and don't advertise you are using an "illegal" radio nobody is likely to know. As a licensed operator I am not condoning the use of an illegal radio, but if you do please do it responsibly.

davehzrd
06-08-2014, 11:25 AM
it's similar to that baofeng. it's a quansheng TG-UV2 i think, it's not on me right now. great little radio, but quansheng happened to leave the entire 2m band unlocked. (they also set it up to receive the entire 70cm band including UHF-T, and to transmit on everything 70cm that's not UHF-T.)

in theory, since the 2m band's unlocked, i can use it on MURS channels, but i'm not trying to jeopardize my license so i don't. my friends, on the other hand.....they don't have amateur licenses. and that's all i'll say about that.

Mudderoy
06-08-2014, 11:48 AM
it's similar to that baofeng. it's a quansheng TG-UV2 i think, it's not on me right now. great little radio, but quansheng happened to leave the entire 2m band unlocked. (they also set it up to receive the entire 70cm band including UHF-T, and to transmit on everything 70cm that's not UHF-T.)

in theory, since the 2m band's unlocked, i can use it on MURS channels, but i'm not trying to jeopardize my license so i don't. my friends, on the other hand.....they don't have amateur licenses. and that's all i'll say about that.

Yeah I ain't preaching to ya, just want to make sure you know. :D :patriot:

xjzaped
12-20-2014, 09:29 PM
A service that never really took off…biggest users today are Walmart and Sams.

downsy
12-21-2014, 10:53 AM
I think it was envisioned as the "new cb" band. I may or may not have ran my mobile and HTs on the lowest power settings on the MURS channels when trying to keep a large group of Jeeps together. :rolleye0012:

No one uses the MURS band in this area so it's clear and if you're running a large group you aren't cluttering up the freqs that are being used.

As someone else stated keep the power low and behave and no one is going to know that your radio isn't type certified for use on MURS. It's not like the radio transmits what it is certified for. :patriot:

xjzaped
12-21-2014, 12:39 PM
I don't have any VHF mobiles that will go below 25W :D

downsy
12-21-2014, 01:13 PM
I run a cheap Dual Band mobile. Low power is 4 watts high power is 10 watts haha. But it gets into nearly all of the repeaters in this area so it's not a big deal. It's also extremely compact.

Then I have my HT that will run at 1 watt.