PDA

View Full Version : Ignition and Alternator problems

aceofphoenix
10-12-2009, 07:37 PM
Hello all,

My brother has a 94 Cherokee 4.0 4x4 5spd. His ignition has gotten to the point that sometimes you have to turn the key all the way back into the aux position and then turn to start it. It also acts like you have to put all of your body into turning the key.

Also the alternator is acting funny...driving normally and it will drop down to almost 9 volts on the gauge, then the check engine light will come on. Some times when the volts drop the A/C will go from cold to just blowing outside air. The check engine light doesn't stay on all the time comes and goes when it wants. The performance doesn't appear to be affected by the volts dropping, just replaced the brushes about 6 months ago.

Don't know what to check and what to just replace???

cheap jeep
10-12-2009, 08:35 PM
On my 92 XJ if u turn the key on, off, on, off and back on all within 5 seconds the check engine light will flash and pause and then flash again.You have to count the flashes,it is always a 2 digit code. That's how I knew my TPS was bad and when changed it, it fixed my trans. If you call 1 of the auto supply stores and they can probably tell you what the computer says.

aceofphoenix
10-13-2009, 09:25 AM
Thats the thing...I don't see the check engine light flashing, it just stays on then goes off when it wants to. We don't turn the key back and forth really fast like that. It is like it has a mind of its own...What do you think about the alternator problem?

Mudderoy
10-13-2009, 10:22 AM
So is there anything else the belt turns that is having an issue? Power steering, coolant getting hot?

aceofphoenix
10-13-2009, 10:50 AM
The only other thing is that the AC blows cold but when the volts drop it acts like just a fan for a few seconds then goes back to normal and AC is ice cold. We put a Gatorback belt on when we got the jeep.

Mudderoy
10-13-2009, 11:01 AM
I dunno, my A/C rises about 10 degrees for 3 to 5 minutes after about 40 minutes of driving, then drops back down to 39/40 degrees.